Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#372780 - 02/24/09 02:53 PM Is color under attack as well?
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

I play MechWarrior. It's a FPS style game, that I prefer to play online with other people via servers. In the group that I'm in, which is divided into a pseudo-military hierarchical format, my "Colonel" is a physicist in reality.

We had just finished whooping another clan's ass, and well all decided to have a debriefing and discussion. There was some seconds of silence, and then I heard his mic activate, "Wow. I didn't know this, but apparently I'm a Freemason." Everyone listening was taken aback by his blurt. When someone inquired, he explained that he read it on a link to a site for those conspiracy theorist kooks.

We all had a pretty good laugh at that, and while it is pretty much true that nowadays Freemasons tend to be physicists, the fact that anyone would find this alarming is quite hysterical.

It got me to thinking about a certain physicist, Sir Isaac Newton. One of his lesser known experiments had to do with light and its direct relation to color, that being that color is simply different parts of white light.

I'm sure there's at least one person out there who is convinced that color is an evil plot devised by Newton and the rest of his ilk to one day control all of humanity -and cheese. You see, color isn't really real. It's designed to give you false feelings somehow connected to Judy Garland and how she was deceived by the Wicked Witch of the West into believing that red is actually just a part of a greater thing called light, and that her Black & White world is full of shit.

Of course, you'd have to make sure that SOMETHING about 9/11 was thrown in, but I think it's a good start. wink

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#372784 - 02/24/09 03:34 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: NapalmNick]
Ebenezer Scrooge Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
I'm sure there's at least one person out there who is convinced that color is an evil plot devised by Newton and the rest of his ilk to one day control all of humanity -and cheese. You see, color isn't really real. It's designed to give you false feelings somehow connected to Judy Garland and how she was deceived by the Wicked Witch of the West into believing that red is actually just a part of a greater thing called light, and that her Black & White world is full of shit.

This sounds like something a stoner would say. You know, the kind of idiotic ramblings only stoners come up with and makes absolutely no sense at all, but yet they think what they just came up with is genius and on par with Einstein's theory of relativity and will end world hunger or have some other huge impact on the planet when in reality it makes no sense to anyone who isn't stoned and you feel dumber just for having listened to them and been in their presence?

That said, if there is someone out there who actually thinks that, it makes me sad that they contiune to live and haven't accidentally blown themselves up, yet. frown lol!

Whatever happened to the good old days of online play, where a mic is accidentally left on as a child complains to his mom about chocolate milk?

“I don't mean to sound bitter,cold,or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”-Bill Hicks

#372785 - 02/24/09 03:41 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: Ebenezer Scrooge]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Ebenezer Scrooge

That said, if there is someone out there who actually thinks that, it makes me sad that they contiune to live and haven't accidentally blew themselves up, yet. frown lol!

Who knows, maybe Islamic terrorists will buy into it as a part of their "War against the infidels"?

Knwoing how fucking retarded the mass populus of any given demographic is, if you do like I did and make up, on the spot, any completely bat-shit-insane, stonerific, fruity bullshit theory, chances are someone believes it. Maybe enough to take a few other lives with them on their journey to seventy-some ought virgins, no?

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#372811 - 02/24/09 11:49 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: NapalmNick]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NY, USA
A co-worker of mine is a huge conspiracy nut. It's hilarious, for the longest time he's been accusing me of knowing what's going on in Area-51 because I was in the military.

The funniest had to be his theory that magician Chris Angel might have been sent by the devil to trick us, as he was telling me this, he went into a trance like stare and started preaching the book of revelations. Then he warned me to keep my eyes open for Satanists.

Some of his other conspiracies include such classics as "Harry Potter and the gay/satanic agenda", "Baseball is a ripoff of cricket", "The titanic and UFOs", 911 and the CIA", "Moonshine and the taxman" and many more.

I always wonder what he's going to come up with next. Sometimes I make shit up just to get him going.

Sideshow Tuper on Undercroft

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#372812 - 02/25/09 12:00 AM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: Sideshowtuper]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

That Chris Angel fellow is quite the weirdo, but I must admit his tricks are pretty damn cool. He actually came to my base once and performed a few of his acts, the only one I remember is how he made a playboy bunny appear out of something. (I think it was a very small garbage can???)

I don't know much about Cricket, but Baseball definitely IS an Americanized version of Rounders.

If you go to Youtube and type in gorilla199, that guy is fuckin' nuts. All sorts of funny shit about Freemasons and aliens controlling everything, down to triangular business logos. You know, your run of the mill Reptilian bullshit?

#372813 - 02/25/09 12:56 AM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Ebenezer Scrooge Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Sideshowtuper
A co-worker of mine is a huge conspiracy nut. It's hilarious, for the longest time he's been accusing me of knowing what's going on in Area-51 because I was in the military.

Ha ha! You don't deny its existence, even if you are ignorant of the government's on going there.

I am quite sure Area 51 is quite the hot spot, ever since the intergalactic invasion of 1996 happened, when Captain Steven Hillard and a Jewish recycler resembling Jeff Goldblum saved the Earth from Ailen's. That is why President Pullman got his second term in office. That is why we celebrate July 4th, the day we whooped E.T.'s ass.

/kidding

grin

“I don't mean to sound bitter,cold,or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”-Bill Hicks

#372815 - 02/25/09 02:54 AM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: Ebenezer Scrooge]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Ebenezer Scrooge
That is why we celebrate July 4th, the day we whooped E.T.'s ass.

You have to admit, the speech delivered prior to the whoopin' was pretty bad ass. Might have had a few Churchill rip-offs here and there, but it certainly got MY blood pumping to go and strangle the fuck out of E.T.!

Now if they could only write a motivational speech concerning Thetans and the Grassy Nole...

#372819 - 02/25/09 04:18 AM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: NapalmNick]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I‘ve seen conspiracy theories defined as “the theology of the paranoid“. That seems to fit because folks that are attracted to them sometimes have a religious zealot’s rabid hyper-enthusiasm. Umberto Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum was a brilliant satirical story/parody about the cancer of conspiracy and intertextuality, (“When men stop believing in God, it isn‘t that they then believe in nothing; they believe in everything.”). Very funny and disturbingly accurate book, highly recommended if you have the stamina for Eco.

I’ve also seen things dismissed as conspiracy theory or the rantings of a paranoid schizophrenic when they seem to have a little too much subversiveness about them. You’ve got to admit that invoking that label is a great way to undermine someone’s reputation or authority. Watching the somewhat mesmerizing media circus machine with all of its spin and propaganda does make paranoia appear, well, a little less paranoid.

Regardless of whether they’re true or not, conspiracy theories seem to highlight the powerful phenomena of willful ignorance. From both sides of the fence. Even in the face of irrefutable, ironclad evidence to the contrary, at the end of the day people will believe what they want to believe. I think Chris Carter (X-Files creator) had his finger on the pulse of the nation in more ways than one.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#372832 - 02/25/09 07:35 AM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: NapalmNick]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I know you're kidding, but Newton is actually a very interesting character. A brilliant natural philosopher, well respected, but also paranoid and insanely jealous of his intellectual property.

He was also an occultist, and not shy about it: aside from his experiments in mechanics, he also conducted experiments in alchemy, and was well versed in Christian and pagan mysticism, invocations, and Hermetica.

It would not take much to show how his, uh, heterodox occult beliefs had informed his scientific theories. For example, the idea that two bodies can attract one another at no matter how great a distance, instantaneously, because of a common property, suggests that there is more to physical reality than you can see or touch; this contradicted mainstream understanding of nature at the time, but had its place in occult formulas.

Edited by reprobate (02/25/09 07:36 AM)

#372835 - 02/25/09 08:15 AM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: Shade]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Yes, conspiracy theorists are essentially religious zealots. I've found that they are usually small, piddling, powerless people who attempt to gain a false sense of mastery and expertise by developing or buying into bizarre theories of how things "really" work.

The irony is, most conspiracy theorists tend to completely miss the real tragedies, travesties, and conspiracies taking place right under their noses, largely because they don't understand or buy the whole concept of the banality of evil. They only believe in supervillains, and not in everyday people who are driven by such dull and mundane things as laziness, stupidity, peer pressure, and greed.

Speaking of youtube, my "favorite" conspiracy nutjob is Mark "John Conner" Dice. He's the very embodiment of a shit disturber.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#372876 - 02/25/09 02:58 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: Shade]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
I take my hat off to Chris Carter - he tapped into the vein of societies fears at the time (after all, with the collapse of the Soviet union, people were starting to look at their own government as being the enemy) - then intensified it, moulded it and moved it - making a fotune in the process... Well done. coopdevil

As for the average conspiracy theorist, this Penn and Teller video is a great laugh at some of these absolute nutjobs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKk8bN8Ka5g

They are indeed powerless, insignificant and gullible rubes that are ripe to be fleeced by any imaginitive charlatan with a book or seminar to peddle. Highly amusing.

#372885 - 02/25/09 04:26 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: Hedonist]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
Ah, "Bullshit", one of the few Television programs that I actually watch. Great stuff there, Hedonist.

#372890 - 02/25/09 07:22 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: reprobate]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Very interesting. Makes me want to read up more about Newton!

I just find it very interesting how these little fuckwits get so worked up over mystery. If there's something out there, be it a scientific break through, a TV show, or anything that is questionable, instead of taking the time to anylize and understand it themselves, they go into their fits of irrational fear and wallow in their own piss.

#372895 - 02/25/09 07:35 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: NapalmNick]
all hallows
Unregistered

I just find it very interesting how these little fuckwits get so worked up over mystery. If there's something out there, be it a scientific break through, a TV show, or anything that is questionable, instead of taking the time to anylize and understand it themselves, they go into their fits of irrational fear and wallow in their own piss.

people like that don't even bother me. why?

a) they make chuckle, on the inside. but only on the inside, wouldn't want to spark their interest as to why i'm laughing aloud; which usually leads to a annoying conversation that goes in circles.

b) more (fill in the blank) for you.

*analyze wink

#372901 - 02/25/09 07:53 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: ]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks J.A.

I agree with all hallows, these people don't bother me at all. Best avoided in person, though from a safe distance they are good for a laugh (at them, certainly not with them. Most of them wouldn't know humour if it jumped up and cracked their skull open).

#372907 - 02/25/09 08:29 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: ]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Note how I said "interesting" and not "irritating".

They are funny. And on the internet, all you have to do hide your mirth is by refraining from typing "LOL". wink

#372909 - 02/25/09 08:41 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: NapalmNick]
all hallows
Unregistered

Note how I said "interesting" and not "irritating".

They are funny. And on the internet, all you have to do hide your mirth is by refraining from typing "LOL". wink

little fuckwit is something i would call someone when they annoy me.

and i think a good "LOL" is ok every now and then, as long as it used for sarcastic, comedic emphasis, and not sincerely.

Edited by all hallows (02/25/09 08:41 PM)

#372914 - 02/25/09 09:55 PM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: ]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Well, let's just say I curse a lot. I believe if someone was genuinely irritating, the phrase would be more along the lines of "subhuman piece of shit". I do have contempt for them, but I try my best to keep it more on a humorous level. Something like, "Oh, what a cute little retard".

I think we actually have similar viewpoints, just seems to be a bit of a language barrier. grin

#373085 - 02/28/09 03:27 AM Re: Is color under attack as well? [Re: reprobate]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

Newton has seen one of purposes of his life in trying to "solve", when the end of the world will come. Most of explorations he made were only "by the way". He was really weird being. I wonder, what he could found out, if he was primarily interested in science. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13160 Members
73 Forums
44435 Topics
407306 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold