Topic Options
#372638 - 02/23/09 04:30 AM I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical
markeverett Offline

Loc: Mid South
Greetings to all. I have long been a satanist since I first read the Satanic Bible years ago. Through the years I have read all of LaVey's work, and it wasn't until I read the Satanic Scriptures that I was convinced that perhaps maybe I would like to join something. I am a avid non-joiner of any organizations, but I think perhaps that if I keep my mouth shut and listen this forum might give me the push in the right direction. So, I am glad to meet you all.
A crumugeon like individual named Mark Everett.

#372652 - 02/23/09 06:59 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: markeverett]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

Loc: England
Welcome Mark

From one curmudgeon to another, if you seek to learn from this site you may find that taking greater notice of the more senior members may help you more, particularly the hierarchy.

One does find the occasional numpty on the site.

Whether I'm a numpty or not will be for you to discover. Happy listening, but don't be afraid to put your views. Keeping your mouth shut isn't really contributing.

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
http://ruraldean.wordpress.com

#372654 - 02/23/09 07:26 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: ruraldean]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Ooo, numpty is great. Never heard it before, had to look it up, and immediately added it to my dictionary-list of awesomely awesome words. I'm going to use that in a sentence today. It's just fun to say. Repeatedly.

I really dig your randoms and rurals, by the way. Fun stuff!

[/off topic]
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#372664 - 02/23/09 08:46 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: Shade]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
If you want some lovely new words, check Yorkshire dialect [near where I was born] and Doric dialect [where I live now].

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#372675 - 02/23/09 09:32 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: MagdaGraham]
markeverett Offline

Loc: Mid South
Numpty is my new word of the day... I too will be using it alot. Seems rather fitting for the idiots that tend to encroach my space.

#373120 - 02/28/09 10:42 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: markeverett]
Tanya Offline

Loc: Virginia
Numpty-- I had to look it up too. It is certainly descriptive and fun to say. Thanks!!

#373141 - 02/28/09 03:55 PM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: Tanya]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
I quite like the English (UK) slang word 'Muppet' - took a while to grow on me, but it is a fitting title for many. Numpty is a new one for me too - when said contemptously it certainly has a nice ring to it. cool

Anyway, I'm quite new to the forum myself (but definitely not new to Satanism), so from one fellow non-joiner and crumugeon to another, for what it is worth I cordially extend my own welcome.

HS!

#373349 - 03/03/09 01:30 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: Hedonist]
S.Varkant Offline

After putting my time into a subject that interested me most, I have gathered enough information to post that the word Muppet is actually (US), not (UK). From my intense studies in my laboratory on top of the hill looking over the hamlet I have discovered that Jim Henson invented the word.

"It was really just a term we made up. For a long time I would tell people it was a combination of marionettes and puppets but, basically, it was really just a word that we coined. We have done very few things connected with marionettes."

#373358 - 03/03/09 04:01 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: S.Varkant]
Hedonist Offline

No disputing the origins - but as far as I know, only the English (UK) and Irish have taken that extra step of using it as "a mild term of abuse, meaning a stupid, incompetent, or idiotic person, or the obvious interpretation of someone who is inanimated or somehow not there."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muppet_(slang)

Wherever the words insulting connotation may have spawned from, it does seem an applicable term for a great many individuals, though as I said it took some time to get used to hearing it used repeatedly by English Nationals here in Australia...

#373364 - 03/03/09 04:46 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: Hedonist]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

Blimey, that's the way to change the direction of a thread! You can safely call someone a numpty here without causing too much offence. It's a sort of kindly insult.

Twonk is a good word. Probably a nicer way of calling someone a twat.

From the US though I love "dumblefuck", which I confess to using myself despite being English to the very core.

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

#373369 - 03/03/09 05:23 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: ruraldean]
Hedonist Offline

Dumblefuck - kind of rolls of the tongue. 'Fucktard' is another related US one, I've caught myself using it (perhaps a little too much) of late.

Much as I generally try to avoid using too many newfangled words that are popular with the herd - to ignore the genuinely satisfying ones just because they are popular is to miss out on some enjoyable insults when used correctly! coopdevil

Good clean fun.

#373408 - 03/03/09 11:57 AM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: Hedonist]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

Strangely, dumblefuck and fucktard are the only two words I feel which are directly attributable to Americans on my website introduction.

#373459 - 03/03/09 08:12 PM Re: I do hate introductions, perhaps this is oxymoronical [Re: markeverett]
Ashtar Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I hate them too, I remember doing them the first time around back when there was a "REQUIRED LttD Member Introductions" but can't seem to find where that is anymore (am I unobservant or was it removed in the recent update?)

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44454 Topics
407335 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold