Topic Options
#377182 - 04/08/09 09:37 AM Popping my cherry
GlaistigPixie Offline

Loc: Keystone State
Popping my cherry, at least metaphorically. ;-)

I guess that I should jump right in. I was really excited when I first found the Church of Satan website a few months ago. I have called myself an atheist ever since I can remember. After reading most of the links and essays I could find, I started to question this point of view. Maybe there IS something that is a more fitting description for my personal beliefs.

I can remember back to when I was 7, and having to sit in church (I was raised roman catholic – which is what most people say is the first problem) and looking around at everyone with their heads down and eyes closed, wondering to myself what is everyone praying for – or to who? I always thought that it was such a waste of time.

I know several people who praise the church and will tell you that god is what gives them the strength to get through life. I just could never relate or understand this idea. How could a place with four walls and an altar provide this kind of inner strength? I always figured you were born with an inner spirituality to give you strength to persevere through life or you weren’t. Based on my reading I relate this more to the “fire within”.

For the most part I think that people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, get off their ass and make the needed changes in their lives. In my opinion most religions keep their followers uneducated and oppressed by telling them to keep the faith and to pray, rather than telling them to grab the bull by the horns and change their lives.

Rather than going on and on I will just say that since I have started reading TSB, I’ve had several “AHA” moments.

More specifically about me, I’m a professional working Mom of three. If you are interested in knowing more specifics about me just ask via a PM and I will gladly reply. I look forward to exchanging ideas with each of you.

#377199 - 04/08/09 12:30 PM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: GlaistigPixie]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Welcome. I identify with you on almost everything you said, excluding the atheist for life and, of course, being a mother. When I was younger I did believe in a god, but that was because it was how I was raised and, just as important, it wasn't forced on me. Had it been forced down my throat I probably would've found the CoS much sooner due to my non-conformist nature.

You are in good company on this board, Glaistig Pixie.

I also very much like your avatar.
-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#377205 - 04/08/09 01:31 PM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Enigma777 Offline

The title of this thread is going to bring in a lot of views.

Just saying. wink

Amazing avatar by the way!
Where did you get it?

#377251 - 04/08/09 11:02 PM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: Enigma777]
Albrecht Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Enigma777
The title of this thread is going to bring in a lot of views.

Love the title.

and Welcome

#377276 - 04/09/09 06:45 AM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: Albrecht]
GlaistigPixie Offline

Master of Pain - Thanks. Unfortunately I did have religion thrust upon me as a young child. I had to attend 6am mass before school every morning.

Enigma777 – Yes, I realize the title may attract many view, but wanted to spice things up a bit .

Albrecht – Thank you.

My avatar, I found it on one of the many fairy websites.

#377288 - 04/09/09 09:42 AM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: GlaistigPixie]
Gretchen Offline

Ha! 6am masses were about as useful as slipping Valium into your coffee in the morning. I went to a Catholic school myself, until the age of 14. I don't really remember anything I was taught, other than the basic fundamentals to get me through high school. However, it did bring up something somebody said to me once that I thought was funny.

"Catholics make the very best Satanists."

I laughed at it, at the time. Then I thought for a few minutes more and I replied, "Actually, no. Satanists make the very best Satanists, don't you think?". I got a sly grin for a response, but that was enough for me.

The only point I can see in his statement, even though it was meant for humor, is the discipline that is taught by that type of upbringing. Misdirected, yes, but nonetheless a tool that can be utilized for your entire life. Sort of like a person who has gone through military training, less the positive physical effects and/or specified training received. I have never been in the military, but I have a feeling that if my first grade teacher (who was a nun) was in the military in a position of authority, there would be a string of bodies behind her.

At any rate, learning how to train yourself to achieve a goal is important. So many religions put an emphasis on discipline, may it be self discipline or a devotion to their deity. It was good to read your intro, Pixie.

-insert profound crap here-

Gretchen

#377289 - 04/09/09 10:24 AM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: GlaistigPixie]
Enigma777 Offline

If you can, could you please provide a link to that one?

Thank you smile

Edited by Enigma777 (04/09/09 04:10 PM)

#377468 - 04/10/09 10:07 PM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: Enigma777]
GlaistigPixie Offline

Gretchen - Good point. Had not thought about the self-discipline aspect. I went to catholic school for 1st through 5th, after that it was public school, which was a complete joke and was way to easy for me. It might not have been the case if I had not had that type of discipline as a youngster. It has definitely been a benefit to me in reaching my education and professional goals.

I would never but my own children through catholic school as I remember it being so painful and I think there are many different ways to achieve the same results.

Enigma777 –This is the only link that appears to still be active.
http://historiasparaleerycontar.blogspot.com/2008/12/glaistig.html

#377471 - 04/10/09 10:49 PM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: GlaistigPixie]
Raithe Offline

Loc: USA, Manchester UK
Guess I will chime in here as well. Both my biological parents were christian. My mother had me Baptised at a very young age. She was of one doctrine and my dad was of another. Between the two I had not much to go on. Then one day my dad said I should study more. So I began that path and found allot of what christian s believe today is not even true. I can go on and on with that one. But the point being, It took many years for me to reach this point. I had someone introduce to teachings to me and when told what they were. Well that itself was a eye opener. Who would have ever thought The Church of Satan was the way to follow. Many years being a christian and being in misery and pain. Then turning to the left handed path and my world around me changes and I change. So I can relate. Having the holy fairy tale bible shoved down your throat is not the best thing. But something my dad did say and he was right. The truth always come's out. Today and tomorrow are bright because of that.

Oh and by the way. Cool avatar.

http://vampiretemple.com/

#377487 - 04/11/09 12:41 AM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: Raithe]
nob'di Offline

It's almost embarrassing how I just had to read this thread when I saw the title. What can I say? I'm a male, and even the subtlest sexual references will rope me in. That's the beauty of lesser magic ain't it? Props to you, GlaistigPixie, for making such a grand entry.

Also, Gretchen, that's a good point you made about Catholicism. I was raised Catholic as well, and I've often speculated myself if the Catholic tendency towards self-denial for the sake of a future reward (i.e: Heaven) had the unintended result of making employment of self-discipline for my Earthly ends come more easily for myself. But hey, even the Hitler made a few worthwhile contributions to the world! ;-D

My own username is a nod to my days in Catholic school. When My class was preparing for the sacrament of Confirmation, we all had to choose a saint to take as our Confirmation name. I chose Thomas after Saint Thomas the Apostle, the one who doubted Jesus on several occasions and told the other apostles they were full of it when they spoke of the resurrection. In later years I dabbled in other religions, eventually rejecting them all and living as an atheist.
When I was 19, I read the Satanic Bible, and was shocked to see how closely it resembled my own beliefs. Being a doubter, and a skeptic by nature,I did some further reading of LaVey's philosophy to make sure this religion was for me. It wasn't long before I had to admit to myself what I was; a Satanist. I've been applying the principles since then, only to see my life get better and better.

My choice of St. Thomas was my first gesture of rebellion, the first budding of that seed within that eventually grew into my Satanic beliefs that I adhere to today. Thus, it has always held a certain significance to me.

#377516 - 04/11/09 08:43 AM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: nob'di]
Branwyn Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
I had a reverse experience from many here. I was raised without religion and in public school until my mother converted to Wicca when I was about 11, and she taught it to me. I enjoyed the symbolism and ritual aspect and liked the idea of magic, but had trouble with many of the beliefs so I never formally joined. In 9th grade, I started going to a Catholic school, because my parents didn't think the local public high schools were good enough (they were correct). I went there for two years and actually really enjoyed it, because the classes were a challenge, which was a rare thing for me. Also, I was old enough to be able to critically analyze my various religion classes and present arguments against their teachings, many of which my teachers had some difficulty with. But, I was always so polite and came prepared with various page markers in my Bible to support the argument, so they couldn't turn me away easily. I also enjoyed the ritual atmosphere of the Catholic Mass, which I'd never been exposed to before.

Meanwhile, my parents divorced and even though I liked the school, I fought for the ability to move to another state to be with my mother and was able to move after those two years. The next two years I spent in public school, and it was amazingly pathetic by comparison. Only now, at the tail end of my bachelor's degree program taking mostly advanced science courses, am I starting to get back to that feeling of challenge that I thrive on.

So I'd agree that there is value in the self-discipline taught in Catholicism, even if they tend to use it for the wrong reasons.

~Branwyn

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

#377531 - 04/11/09 11:42 AM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: GlaistigPixie]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

I read your post, but all I could think about was the title.
Isn't sex delicious? coopdevil

#377570 - 04/11/09 06:40 PM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: Fala]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
Hehe, it is indeed...!

My only problem was, I've never been with a virgin and never want to, so the title actually kind of turned me off..! Hehe. I prefer more experienced girls who have had a wide variety of lovers to compare me to - virgins would not appreciate what I bring to the table sexually...!! Haha (fuck modesty, it's true!).

Still, a good use of lesser magic - sex, negativity or a secret in a posts headline will ALWAYS get the views. wink

#377673 - 04/12/09 02:58 PM Re: Popping my cherry [Re: GlaistigPixie]
Enigma777 Offline

Thank You

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406365 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements