Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#378496 - 04/20/09 06:50 AM Re: Alchemical Fire [Re: Terrenial]
Ice Claw Offline

CoS Member

I think that makes 5 times in 7 months that this thing has come around. It is only a matter of time before the worm comes crawling back to the Gates of Hell with his doomsday drivel.

#378563 - 04/20/09 08:24 PM Re: Alchemical Fire [Re: Ice Claw]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
You mean before the men with the white coats take him away?

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#378590 - 04/21/09 12:52 AM Re: Alchemical Fire [Re: gypsy]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
House masochist indeed...

#378738 - 04/22/09 04:03 AM Re: The Book of Satan - What's your favorite verse? [Re: Ice Claw]
ribbit Offline

Quote:
"...Their talk of "charity", when applied to His Infernal Majesty, becomes an empty sham - and most unfairly, too, considering the obvious fact that without their Satanic foe their very religions would collapse. How sad, that the allegorical personage most responsible for the success of spiritual religions is shown the least amount of charity and the most consistent abuse - and by those who most unctuously preach the rules of fair play!"

Stated beautifully and with elegance: The Devil is the Church's best friend.

Only if one is a Christian. Dig into Judaism a little, and Satan comes off a lot different. He isn't the enemy of God. He's a civil servant, a working angel with a specific difficult function to perform, "the most faithful" as some put it. Rebellion? Angels are incapable of that sort of thing.

In Islam Shaitan isn't a deity. He's a djinn, powerful, beautiful, loves Allah, but suffers from an overabundance of pride. He's got the job of tempting the weak, given to him by God, but he isn't the Opposite, the Great Enemy the way he is to Christians.

With all due respect, the Satanic Bible was written in a particular time and place and came with the cultural matrix in which its author was brought up. It doesn't quite work the same way if one grew up with a different set of emotional reactions.

#378743 - 04/22/09 04:58 AM Re: The Book of Satan - What's your favorite verse? [Re: ribbit]
Azathoth Offline

Originally Posted By: ribbit
Quote:
"...Their talk of "charity", when applied to His Infernal Majesty, becomes an empty sham - and most unfairly, too, considering the obvious fact that without their Satanic foe their very religions would collapse. How sad, that the allegorical personage most responsible for the success of spiritual religions is shown the least amount of charity and the most consistent abuse - and by those who most unctuously preach the rules of fair play!"

Stated beautifully and with elegance: The Devil is the Church's best friend.

Only if one is a Christian. Dig into Judaism a little, and Satan comes off a lot different. He isn't the enemy of God. He's a civil servant, a working angel with a specific difficult function to perform, "the most faithful" as some put it. Rebellion? Angels are incapable of that sort of thing.

In Islam Shaitan isn't a deity. He's a djinn, powerful, beautiful, loves Allah, but suffers from an overabundance of pride. He's got the job of tempting the weak, given to him by God, but he isn't the Opposite, the Great Enemy the way he is to Christians.

With all due respect, the Satanic Bible was written in a particular time and place and came with the cultural matrix in which its author was brought up. It doesn't quite work the same way if one grew up with a different set of emotional reactions.

Satanism actually does correspond with the Jewish and Islamic versions of Satan quite well. The emphasis on justice in Satanism corresponds with the Jewish/Old Testament presentation of Satan as an "Adversary" and one who: 1. makes a case against things 2. Carries out retribution (ie. through Destruction rituals, lesser magic and Pentagonal Revisionism point #3.) As far as Islam goes, Satan plays a similar role to Judaism in some theology, but sometimes things some Muslims don't like (such as the USA) get labeled "the great Satan." My experience reading Islamic literature is Satan is used in a way similar to how he is in Christianity- as a tool to scare the faithful.

#378752 - 04/22/09 08:04 AM Re: The Book of Satan - What's your favorite verse? [Re: ribbit]
Ice Claw Offline

CoS Member

Have you come back after 4 years with an attempt to discredit Our Religion?

Are you so caught in the forest that you can not see the trees?

Are you aware of the fact that Satanism stands firm without the existence of any spiritual system, or devil for that matter?

Can you say the same for judaism, christianity and islam in regards to their satan?

I rest my case coopdevil

edit {
It seems that, after 4 years, you still have something stuck in your craw when it comes to Our Great and Mighty Founder Dr. Anton LaVey.
}

#378769 - 04/22/09 10:12 AM Re: The Book of Satan - What's your favorite verse? [Re: Ice Claw]
ribbit Offline

I'm not trying to discredit anything. Far from it. This in no way invalidates the truths exposed by the philosophy. It simply means that different symbols will need to be used to have the same effect on members of the previously-mentioned groups.

All religions are created by human beings. As such they are influenced by the world in which those men and women lived. Satanism was developed in 20th century America. It uses symbols and associations with which such people would be familiar.

The concept of Satan will have very different associations for people who come from a non-Christian background. Using that symbol will not affect the mind of a Hindu, San, Yazidi, Jew or Siberian Shaman in the same way it will affect a Hoosier or Texan. The verse has meaning for the correspondent because he grew up in a Western, urban, Christian, technological world. I'm pointing out that it would not mean the same thing at all to a person who didn't. This does not belittle Satanism or the people who practice it. It merely acknowledges simple reality, a mental clarity on which Satanism prides itself.

Edited by ribbit (04/22/09 10:14 AM)

#378772 - 04/22/09 10:31 AM Re: My favorite verse that encapsulates all others. [Re: DCLXVI]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Don't insult the chimps. wink grin

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#379405 - 04/26/09 07:35 PM Re: My favorite verse that encapsulates all others. [Re: tekku]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I think where most people get caught up, and apparently where ribbit has gotten lost, is by buying into the idea that Satan is the only concept that a Satanist recognizes.

Of course Herr Doktor used the word Satan and all it conjurs since he was alive when Christianity was the ruling religion of the world, however, he also pays his respects to the other ideas of that concept.

Satanism is not limited to Satan, instead, Satanism embraces all incarnations of that "Darkness" and uses the symbolism from all those manifestations of human nature. That all being said, Shaitan is quite a representation of evil and darkness in Islam, and let us not forget ol' Melek Taus from the same region. I will agree with you that Satan is not quite the king of hell in Judeoism as he is in Christianity, however, Lucifer and his rebellion are still recognized and accepted in the Old Testament and the Torah.

It doesn't matter what name and symbols you attach to that idea, it is still valid and it still burns just as strongly in the heart and mind of the Satanist. Do not forget ribbit, we are not devil worshippers, we are Satanists. We embody that "Darkness" better than any idea man ever deified could.

As far as the topic of this thread. I'd have to say the entire Verse I is my favorite part of the Book of Satan, it is an introduction of sorts that to me works just as the ringing of a bell 9 times in ritual.

HS!

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#379924 - 04/30/09 11:33 PM Re: My favorite verse that encapsulates all others. [Re: DCLXVI]
shelby_vn Offline

Well, I don't really have a favorite verse. I like them all in their own light.

#380199 - 05/03/09 10:39 AM Re: Alchemical Fire [Re: Terrenial]
nob'di Offline

my thoughts exactly. Why hasn't his IP been banned yet?

#380267 - 05/03/09 10:16 PM Re: My favorite verse that encapsulates all others. [Re: HGaunt]
ribbit Offline

A very nice and accurate letter, Lu Sayfr.

I'm certainly not implying that Satanists worship the Christian devil. Not at all.

What I'm trying to say however awkwardly is that the reason the words have meaning for people from this society is that they grew up with a common set of symbols and ideas.

Truth is truth. The hard part is expressing it in a way speaks to others and makes the meaning clear.

Edited by ribbit (05/03/09 10:55 PM)

#480541 - 09/14/12 05:03 PM Re: The Book of Satan - What's your favorite verse? [Re: Ice Claw]
Cain Smith Offline

Quote:
2:7 "He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom."

The same (as you can read in my signature) coopdevil

The Book Of Satan 2:7

#480542 - 09/14/12 05:18 PM Re: The Book of Satan - What's your favorite verse? [Re: Cain Smith]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Please don't dredge up old threads.
Prevention of Virtue

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12195 Members
73 Forums
43973 Topics
405996 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements