Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#381718 - 05/17/09 11:01 PM Rituals & Dogma.
Favenris Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
When I come across a thread in one of my favorite forums about Satanism, for my own benefit, and in no way attempting to be a martyr or representative of the Church of Satan, I like to politely correct people on what misconceptions they may have. Most of the time I come across someone saying silly things like "Satanism is just inverse Christianity" or "The Church of Satan just wants your money" which don't really deserve more than an eye roll.

However, today I came across a good post someone made and I replied to it. I was wondering if people could tell me if I acknowledged Satanism accurately, and also, what response would you give to those who do not classify Satanism as a religion?

This isn't just about my response to some message forum. smile It's about all of us as a Satanic mutual admiration society saying why Satanism is a religion, and not just a philosophy.

It looks like you have done your research well, but please allow me to correct you on a couple of things.

Originally Posted By: "Amduscias"
However, there are unresolved issues I have with the Church of Satan. How can you call it a religion when it doesn't actually believe in Satan? Satanist's say "You are your own God." That's great, but it doesn't work to have a religion devoted to worshipping yourself. First problem: I don't feel Satanism qualifies as a religion. A philosophy yes, but not a religion.

Satanism is a religion because it contains dogma and rituals. Dogma does not necessarily need to involve something outside of science. To the Satanist, the doctrine of Social Darwinism comes to him naturally, either through private study or actual experience. While the herd tries to delude itself into thinking that universal solidarity is possible, most of us do not.

"War is eternal. War is universal. There is no beginning, and there is no peace. Nor could there ever be, even if the beast man desired it so... every living thing [maintains] its existence exclusively by depriving other living things of theirs." - Richard Wagner (If I'm not mistaken)

Rituals, although not necessary but useful tools, fulfill the second portion of what constitutes a religion. This does not need to be the standard 13-step rituals. In fact, if one reads The Satanic Bible, Satanic magic necessitates personal touch. You need to surround yourself with devices that speak to you individually.

Hopefully this covers the religion portion of your statement.

Originally Posted By: "Amduscias"
The second problem I have is that EVERYONE affiliated with the Church who has ever been asked a question about Satanism or asked to explain Satanism ends up quoting Anton LaVey almost verbatim. Can't you even say something in your own words, you have to pull quote after quote from the Satanic Bible?

Although there are many philosophies which Anton LaVey himself borrowed, and others which run parallel to Satanism, Satanism will always be firstly codified by Anton LaVey. If there are things that you see reflected of yourself in the religion, but not everything within it, then you may recognize yourself as having Satanic qualities, but not being a Satanist (which is not a bad thing at all!).

That's why many people quote him because he phrases ideas so eloquently. However, beware for "black bible thumpes" who can quote anything by him but not put Satanic theory into action...

Well, I hope I provided you with a Satanist who did not need to quote a single thing from The Satanic Bible (myself). Feel free to respond with more polite arguments against Satanism, as you have done already, and I'll try to reply with the best of my knowledge.

Any thoughts?

#381751 - 05/18/09 06:30 AM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Favenris]
TraceLines Offline

Loc: Upstate South Carolina, USA
... Like Christians don't quote from the Bible much, right? laugh

Lack of zeal results in doing nothing worth judging.

#381775 - 05/18/09 10:49 AM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Favenris]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Several points:

Your reply is well articulated.

As to the one asking the question, maybe they did some research, but it is painfully obvious they did not comprehend what they found.

It is all explained clearly in The Satanic Bible, and further information is found in the COS website.

People like this usually go around in circles, already have their minds made up and end up using up your time, while you gain nothing.

Question to you: have they replied to you, and how was your reply received?

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#381806 - 05/18/09 02:09 PM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Favenris]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I think your efforts to correct their misconceptions about Satanism are commendable, but unnecessary.

Why waste your time and energy explaining them something that is clearly explained in a book? They can find the information themselves. If they found it and didn’t understand it, then it was not for them. Trying to clarify it for them is pointless, they either get it or they don’t.

Remember… “Don’t smarten a chump”

#381809 - 05/18/09 02:53 PM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Favenris]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
You were correct in mentioning what distinguishes a religion from a philosophy, and why Satanism would therefore be a religion. Personally I would have included a few other examples of non-theistic religions (Theravada Buddhism, the Raelian movement, etc.)

Regarding the second accusation, virtually all of the questions that he and others ask about the Church of Satan are probably level "101" type questions that are already answered in The Satanic Bible. When I get questions that go beyond the mundane stuff, then sure, I'll use my own words.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#381819 - 05/18/09 03:36 PM Morons and idiots. [Re: Favenris]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
-Robert Heinlein

I agree with Bob.

For every simple and direct fact you can offer these kinds of people, they will generate ten new forms of conspiracy theory based on nothing at all.

Losers abound on the internet, spinning out their fantasies, desperate for an audience to make them feel important.

Any moron can pound out this kind of nonsense on a keyboard because, being unemployed (or a minor), they usually have nothing better to do with their time anyway.

Those with any intelligence at all will not search for the opinions of anonymous idiots on the internet.

Those with brains will check things out for themselves and not leap to conclusions based on rumor or innuendo.

It may be satisfying to correct these people but they will never really learn to think just as pigs will never learn to sing.

Those who can think do not need to be corrected.

They do their own homework first.

Just my opinion.

#381821 - 05/18/09 03:44 PM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Favenris]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Favenris

Any thoughts?

Yes.
In time, you will no doubt grow bored with this type of correspondence.
HOWEVER...I am not sure if I remember other posts you have made. Your response does tell a bit about your take on Satanism.
I will be much more apt to be sure to read your posts.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#381825 - 05/18/09 04:26 PM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Old_Pig]
Favenris Offline

Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
Why waste your time and energy explaining them something that is clearly explained in a book? They can find the information themselves.

This person has not replied yet, but I answered his questions for my own benefit. As I have stated, I usually ignore obvious and mundane questions, or post the Church of Satan’s website as a reply. However, clearly stating that constitutes Satanism as a religion, rather than just a philosophy, made me think. wink It was nice being able to organize that out.

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
-Robert Heinlein

An argument against mandatory education said in a single sentence!

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Personally I would have included a few other examples of non-theistic religions (Theravada Buddhism, the Raelian movement, etc.)

That’s a good idea! I’ve wanted to look into non-theistic religions for a while now. Satanism runs parallel to my own beliefs (and doubts coopdevil) but looking at other secular ideas might be interesting.

#381870 - 05/19/09 08:29 AM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Favenris]
underworld Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Favenris
This person has not replied yet, but I answered his questions for my own benefit.

What benefits do you mean?

I personally don't reply anymore to people not knowing the CoS and trying to argue about it. As stated above, it's just a waste of time for me.

On the other hand: Why even talk about if Satanism is a religion or a philosophy? To me it makes no difference at all. Shall they call it philosophy, shall they call it religion. I don't need this words at all.

#381877 - 05/19/09 08:55 AM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: underworld]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: underworld

I cannot speak on behalf of Favenris, but his statement makes sense to me. Sometimes it is good to actually carry an argument through, just to test that you can formulate it yourself, i.e. you are not just quoting something, you actually understand the essence of the subject.

In my field, which is computer programming, we often use it as a way to discover bugs. The idea is that you state, in your own words to another programmer what you are trying to do with your program, and in the process of stating that, flaws will become obvious to you. Some say that the other programmer is not needed, but you feel less silly compared to talking to a potted plant or an inanimate object. The process is the benefit, not whether or not the recipient gains any insight ... he or she may still afterwards be none the wiser as to what your program is doing.

#381880 - 05/19/09 09:24 AM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: verszou]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: verszou
Originally Posted By: underworld

I cannot speak on behalf of Favenris, but his statement makes sense to me. Sometimes it is good to actually carry an argument through, just to test that you can formulate it yourself, i.e. you are not just quoting something, you actually understand the essence of the subject.

In the first grade, I was told to tell 3 people anything newly learned. If you can do it, it's your's.
In college, I would often tutored. Even though I, and everyone else, assumed I had a firm grasp of the material, I would have Eureka moments while explaining the subject to someone else.
That happens a lot.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#382013 - 05/20/09 07:10 PM Re: Morons and idiots. [Re: Nemo]
WMDKitty Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Those who can think do not need to be corrected.

They do their own homework first.

Ah, but even those who think for themselves occasionally need correction, and should welcome it on those occasions -- it's a learning experience, after all!

#382021 - 05/20/09 08:39 PM Re: Morons and idiots. [Re: WMDKitty]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
Ah, but even those who think for themselves occasionally need correction, and should welcome it on those occasions...

The critical word here is "should".

Most people do not think for themselves at all.

Those who do will almost always recognize that rumors, especially internet rumors, are completely unreliable and so they will do their homework first.

Hence they do not need "correction".

They are simply not stupid to begin with. wink

#382532 - 05/24/09 05:17 PM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Favenris Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou
In my field, which is computer programming, we often use it as a way to discover bugs... The process is the benefit, not whether or not the recipient gains any insight ... he or she may still afterwards be none the wiser as to what your program is doing.

Very good analogy! Utilize doubt and make amends to your mistakes...

And you hit my idea right on the spot! To avoid arrogance and, although the phrase might be a little strong, "blind faith" one needs to continually challenge one's own ideas and perhaps along the way you might find that something isn't right, and that's the time to fix it. However, not every idiot that spouts out some incoherent argument demands your attention...

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
In the first grade, I was told to tell 3 people anything newly learned. If you can do it, it's your's.

Hmm. That's good, Roho, but isn't so much "learn" but formulate or organize in my case. Most of the Satanic philosophy I have read has been mine since birth, and Satanism has simply taught me how to produce something out of it. Which has been very helpful, but there was no need to "learn" or "convert" as it has been a reflection of what I've been all along. wink

#382661 - 05/26/09 08:29 AM Re: Rituals & Dogma. [Re: Favenris]
TranquilChaos Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA IA
I am reminded of an e-mail I got years ago, but how true it still is.

It says...

"Arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics even if you do win your still a retard"

I relize that this is entirly politically incorrect these days it should say something more like....

"Arguing over the internet is like being a christian even if you succeed your not going to heaven.

Its one thing to mark point for point then take action but, thats discussion not argument.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13309 Members
73 Forums
44545 Topics
407990 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold