Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#382055 - 05/21/09 07:27 AM Lavey's Motives
Atralux Lucis Offline

Loc: Australia
I have been subjected quite often to people saying that Lavey's motive for writing the Satanic Bible and creating the CoS is for the money that came from it.
Now I like to think this isnt true and personally think he was killing 2 bi5rds with the one stone having spread his philosophy (a mighty fine one at that) and making a decent amount of money out of it at the same time.

Annoyingly people disregard the philosophy argument, but I would just like this issue answered as to whether money would have actually had a role in Lavey's motives.

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.- Anton Szandor LaVey

#382073 - 05/21/09 10:01 AM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Most people are motivated by money. Every act is a selfish act.

You are on track: "Now I like to think this isnt true and personally think he was killing 2 bi5rds with the one stone having spread his philosophy (a mighty fine one at that) and making a decent amount of money out of it at the same time."

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#382090 - 05/21/09 11:38 AM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Lust Offline

The idea of one taking responsibility for ones self, and deciding to be ones own God is anathema to the deluded herd. Satanism is not for them, and they will discount it to anyone who will listen. Most that I have encountered who are quick to give this opinion of Doktor LaVey, are either struggling with finances or are simply jealous of him.

Those outside of Church of Satan will never understand ones reasons for affiliating, or the tremendous amount of respect most Satanists have for Doktor LaVey.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#382095 - 05/21/09 11:54 AM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Lust]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think most people would consider a job where they can make a decent amount of money from something they believe strongly in, to be a 'dream job'. (Two birds with one stone)

Having said that, Dr. LaVey's wealth was quite modest when you compare it to say... the catholic church?

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#382096 - 05/21/09 12:02 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
What's wrong with making money?

A corrective to this would be Dr. LaVey's essay in SATAN SPEAKS! entitled "Why I can't make money."

It is a mistake to impose conventional "spiritual" ideas of altruism and denial onto Satanism. We are OK with making money. In fact we ENCOURAGE making as much money as you can in this life, because it frees you up to ENJOY this life.

I'm sure money was a motive, right alongside having fun, raising hell, and fulfilling the REAL role of being ACCUSER to the bullshit and hypocrisy of mainstream white light "spiritual" religions, Western and Eastern.

The Church of Satan is NOT the Hare Krishnas.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#382100 - 05/21/09 12:43 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I also like to think that the good Doc was killing multiple birds with one stone when he founded Satanism and the CoS.

But, even IF it was all just a grand joke or a mere money-making venture, I say, so what? Satanism has neither picked my pocket nor broken my leg--quite the opposite, in fact! As a result of my involvement with the CoS, I have a life philosophy that works in reality, I've made some great friends, I've had some fun times, I've attended some amazing events and get-togethers, and I've been exposed to all kinds of wonderful ideas, books, movies, and places.

If Satanism is just another scam or scheme, then it's a pretty piss-poor one, because it's failed to extract even a tenth of the money and time from me that Scientology, Amway, or the Landmark Forum regularly squeezes out of their people. Maybe the CoS needs to promise that with Ascension to the Next Level, I'll be able to ride the stock market, bend spoons, and cause heads to explode, a la Scanners wink.

Most people are of the standard RHP view that spiritual leaders are always supposed to be poor, pure, demure, and selfless--and, being solipsistic, most assume that everyone also shares these same values and priorities.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#382106 - 05/21/09 01:32 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
NO ONE does ANYTHING without self-interest in mind.
We're just honest about it.

I can't help but think notoriety was a reward, almost equal to the cash.

It would be for me.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#382108 - 05/21/09 01:38 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Doktor LaVey was always clear about his motives. He wrote the Satanic Bible because if he didn't someone else will less qualifications would.

#382111 - 05/21/09 01:51 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Dimitri Offline

It is actually fun to see that a question that only can be answered by Laveye is being responded by other people who guess it's motives. (And yes: GUESS, whom of you could actually read his brains? You only take his written words for granted about this question.)

Unless I missed a document somewhere in wich Laveye explains/admits his motives clearly without the reader guessing..

But anyway, why care about it? He wrote the SB (and other interesting works), started the church, made some money and his "work" lives on. Looks good enough for me, and if his motives and desires about the philosophy are fullfilled, then it's good for him. He aligned the basics, people wandered and were caught by the philosophy, recognized and liked this way of thinking, adapted the term and definition and lived their life.. (however, about living ones life can be a discussion apart)
Sounds good enough for me don't you think?

Edited by Dimitri (05/21/09 01:53 PM)

#382113 - 05/21/09 01:53 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Dimitri]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

It is actually fun to see that a question that only can be answered by Laveye is being responded by other people who guess it's motives.

Some here actually spent time with Dr. LaVey.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#382119 - 05/21/09 02:34 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Phineas]
Dimitri Offline

Originally Posted By: Phineas
It is actually fun to see that a question that only can be answered by Laveye is being responded by other people who guess it's motives.

Some here actually spent time with Dr. LaVey.

Might be, but spending time with him doesn't open up the fact you actually know what was happening inside his brain..
You, or anyone else, might have known him very well, but it doesn't leave the option you knew everything about him or how his brains worked...

Which is my point.

#382122 - 05/21/09 02:55 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Dimitri]
Torrent Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Dimitri

Might be, but spending time with him doesn't open up the fact you actually know what was happening inside his brain..
You, or anyone else, might have known him very well, but it doesn't leave the option you knew everything about him or how his brains worked...

Which is my point.

Please elaborate on why one would need to know what was happening inside Dr. Lavey's brain before one could understand his motives. You assume that when Magister Phineas said, "Some here actually spent time with Dr. LaVey." that he meant they know Dr. Lavey's thoughts. Did it occur to you that Dr. Lavey might have discussed his motives with his close friends?

#382124 - 05/21/09 03:00 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Torrent]
Dimitri Offline

Quote:
Please elaborate on why one would need to know what was happening inside Dr. Lavey's brain before one could understand his motives. You assume that when Magister Phineas said, "Some here actually spent time with Dr. LaVey." that he meant they know Dr. Lavey's thoughts. Did it occur to you that Dr. Lavey might have discussed his motives with his close friends?

If one knew what was happening in LaVey's brain, the person might actually get all motives about the "why".

And indeed I know LaVey might have discussed it with his close friends, but ask yourself: do you always tell EVERYTHING to your friends? Or do you sometimes keep things to yourself be it or be it not on purpose?

#382125 - 05/21/09 03:03 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
TraceLines Offline

Loc: Upstate South Carolina, USA
It might be interesting to note how fast one might be called blasphemous or heretical if one were to ask the motives of the original writers of the Bible, Qu'ran, Torah, Tao te Ching, I Ching, etc, and suggest that it was simply for money.

Generally speaking, its a troll question. But, as the other posts have suggested, it matters little the motives if something of worth and gain could be established from it.

Lack of zeal results in doing nothing worth judging.

#382127 - 05/21/09 03:08 PM Re: Lavey's Motives [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Occasionally I've had a few people mention that LaVey's motives were to dupe the rubes into giving him money. They probably secretly suspect that they are a rube, and are overly paranoid about being taken advantage of. wink

I hope LaVey took everyone's cash and paid for fabulously cool carnal pleasures or lavished some sexy witch with a gift or two. That'd be awesome.

If someone cannot distinguish between a once-in-a-lifetime membership fee that multiplies in other types of returns and the guilt-driven money grubbing evangelical charities of other eligions, then they are being taken advantage of.

Edited by Zaftig (05/21/09 03:51 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12016 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements