Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#383821 - 06/06/09 10:14 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Ozymandias Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Bending my opinion to conform with someone I respect? Not at all.

But I do tend to respect those with whom I agree. And, like Anton Lavey, I can be completely sycophantic.

For instance, Magister Svengali has written several posts about intelligent communication, and the demise of it in the Western world. I agree with that. I also love his book.

As a Satanist, I am ego-centric, but I am also completely secure in my evaluation of other's abilities. I may never attain the superior wit of Magister Nemo, for instance.

Yes, I do evaluate people on the content of their speech. I will admit that there are many skilled people who can neither write nor speak well, and there are many admirable people who mangle English, but I reserve the right to criticize the utter foolishness of the population.

And Kanye West? He may be a millionaire, but he is still an idiot. And to me, that says more about the undiscerning masses
than his talent.

Quote:
Intelligence is much deeper than a surface level interpretation of a person.

If I may quote the Bible,''You can tell a tree by its fruit''.

#383823 - 06/06/09 11:00 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
ribbit Offline

Why does English need spelling reform? I'll tell you why.

Spelling in English is arbitrary, illogical often anti-sensical and ridiculously complicated. Compare it to pretty much any other language with a non-ideographic script from Turkish to Swahili to Bahasa Indonesia to Persian to French or the synthetic language we call Modern German. In none of them do children have to take spelling classes. In none of them do normally educated people need special computer programs to catch errors.

That's because most of them have reasonably logical phonetic spelling. Many of them such as German, Indonesian and Turkish went through conscious episodes of spelling reform to make what was on the page have a clear relation to what was spoken.
English picks up words and never puts them down. That's a strength. But its inability to take the very reasonable step of instituting clear simple rules on those words is stupidity.

#383844 - 06/07/09 05:34 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

Oh my... thanks! blush

Guess the trick is to keep postings as short as possible and to always google phrases you are unsure about. coopdevil

#383846 - 06/07/09 05:48 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NY, USA
Oh yes, the same way I'm envious about the successes of Chris Crocker and Nayda "Octo-Mom" Suleman.

If I went outside in a diaper and had someone videotaping me playing in dog shit while rambling and screaming, I'd be a youtube hero. I'd be invited to movie awards and probably end up with my own show on MTV.

Sideshow Tuper on Undercroft

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#383847 - 06/07/09 05:57 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

I wished our kids were really that clever! grin

Grammar and spelling play a big role in our educational system and of course we have spell checkers on the computer too!

English actually became so popular worldwide because it's one of the easiest to learn and most logical languages. Do you speak a foreign language, ribbit?

#383849 - 06/07/09 06:38 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Coming from an Eastern European background, I do agree that English is illogical and complicated, because of a lack of phonetics and so forth. However, I don't agree with having to reform the language, just because people want to hold onto their ingrained habits and are lazy to learn something new and apply it.

English is not perfect, but neither is any other language.

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#383855 - 06/07/09 09:36 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: tekku]
Ozymandias Offline

Quote:
Oh yes, the same way I'm envious about the successes of Chris Crocker and Nayda "Octo-Mom" Suleman.

If I went outside in a diaper and had someone videotaping me playing in dog shit while rambling and screaming, I'd be a youtube hero. I'd be invited to movie awards and probably end up with my own show on MTV.

When can we expect to see that? eek

#383860 - 06/07/09 11:14 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Ozymandias]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NY, USA
Well, in regards to the diaper business... never.

However, I am hopeful that NBC will get back in touch with me about "Octo-Dad", where I will be competing against 12 other guys to win the affections of Nayda Suleman.

Hmmm, suddenly I'm in the mood to watch James Bond....

devilchili

Sideshow Tuper on Undercroft

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#383861 - 06/07/09 11:28 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Ozymandias Offline

I was just watching Dr. No.

Coincidence?

Yeah, probably.

...and this is how threads go completely off topic. devilchili

#383868 - 06/07/09 12:47 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Thrax Orion]
Terrenial Offline

Originally Posted By: Thrax Orion
Terrenial, your anger seems a bit misdirected. Yes, this thread is about annoyance towards poor use of language, and as the original topic post stipulated: Annoyance towards poor reading comprehension. However, if you are of the opinion that internet message boards are never a place where talk of pet peeves and little annoyances takes place, you are in grave error.

The talk here - yes even the talk on this relatively innocuous topic, is incredibly well thought out and presented when you take into account the fact that we are on the internet: Home of l33t, /b/tards, and thirteen year old clan gamers who type with their fists.

The fact is YOU do not care about the manner in which people choose to communicate and present their intellectual development. And that is fine, but it does not follow that you should post on said topic to berate those that do. Doing so makes you guilty of the same nitpicking behavior that you accuse all else of.

Also when you engage in a friendly debate don't you believe it necessary to at least consider the position of your opponent? It isn't a matter of selling out your own ideals. It is just a behavior that shows basic respect. And when you are in a group of people who all agree that yes, we are selfish and egocentric by nature; It is necessary to observe respect at all times to avoid strong personalities constantly attempting to castrate one another.

Well first off, I never said I was angry, in fact I was being kind enough to deliver a well needed slap to some people with inflated egos. Calling people who are much more successful than you morons is pure stupidity. Kanye West is not a moron because he talks a certain way that you don't like. Its just different culture and upbringing. If anything, judging a persons intelligence by the way they speak is a sign of your own ignorance and antisocialness. Sorry to ruin your honeymoon, but speaking in perfect english will not make u a genious, it does not make u "smart", and you will only fool those who are shallow and stupid anyways, so whats the point?

Who is better off, some guy on a forum with an inflated ego and tendency to overcomplicate things, or a millionaire rap artist? Who has more freedom to indulge in whatever they hell they want to? In terms of being a Satanist, Kanye West is doing better than you are.

"It would be an over&#8208;simplification to say that every successful man and woman on earth 
is, without knowing it, a practicing Satanist; but the thirst for earthly success and its ensuing 
realization are certainly grounds for Saint Peter turning thumbs down. If the rich man’s entry 
into heaven seems as difficult as the camel’s attempt to go through the eye of a needle; if the 
love of money is the root of all evil; then we must at least assume the post powerful men on 
earth to be the most Satanic. This applies to financiers, industrialists, popes, poets, dictators, 
and all assorted opinion&#8208;makers and field marshals of the world’s activities.  
Occasionally, through “leakages,” one of the enigmatic men or women of earth will be 
found to have “dabbled” in the black arts. These, of course, are brought to light as in the 
“mystery men” of history. Names like Rasputin, Zaharoff, Cagliostro, Rosenberg and their 
ilk are links—clues, so to speak, of the true legacy of Satan . . . a legacy which transcends 
ethnic, racial, and economic differences and temporal ideologies, as well. The Satanist has 
always ruled the earth . . . and always will, by whatever name he is called.  
One thing stands sure: the standards, philosophy and practices set forth on these pages 
are those employed by the most self&#8208;realized and powerful humans on earth. In the secret 
thoughts of each man and woman, still motivated by sound and unclouded minds, resides 
the potential of the Satanist, as always has been. The sign of the horns shall appear to many, 
now, rather than the few; and the magician will stand forth that he may be recognized.  
 "

#383876 - 06/07/09 01:52 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Thrax Orion Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Well first off, I never said I was angry, in fact I was being kind enough to deliver a well needed slap to some people with inflated egos.

Your post seemed to have a tone of frustration which I presumed was a form of anger. My mistake. And truly it is kind of you to attempt to instill a basic sense of humility in others. By saying this you tell me you value inward personal development highly, and in this regard we have very similar values.

But that makes this statement all the more puzzling to me:

Quote:
Who is better off, some guy on a forum with an inflated ego and tendency to overcomplicate things, or a millionaire rap artist? Who has more freedom to indulge in whatever they hell they want to? In terms of being a Satanist, Kanye West is doing better than you are.

Ridiculous. Although being outwardly successful is important, it is equally (perhaps even more) important to refine yourself as an individual through the application of Satanism as a philosophy. It is also rather foolish of you to assume that wealth is the only measure of success. Again I reiterate that Satanism is a philosophy, and it is also a religion. It is most certainly NOT a get rich quick scheme or a wealthy gentleman's club. You are also confusing the ability to indulge in material goods and services with liberation. We do not know what drives Kanye West, and from my understanding even if he were to try and tell us we wouldn't understand because he has the verbal capacity of a drunken autistic.

Quote:
If anything, judging a persons intelligence by the way they speak is a sign of your own ignorance and antisocialness. Sorry to ruin your honeymoon, but speaking in perfect english will not make u a genious, it does not make u "smart", and you will only fool those who are shallow and stupid anyways, so whats the point?

The point is to enhance our sense of selves by insulting an individual or group of individuals we regard as inferior to ourselves at most, and at the very least it is a means by which we may blow off some steam. It is an indulgence, and that is reason enough for us.

Edited by Thrax Orion (06/07/09 01:54 PM)

#383991 - 06/09/09 07:25 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TraceLines Offline

Loc: Upstate South Carolina, USA
Here's an interesting thing to note as well:

http://everything2.com/title/The%2520slow%2520reversal%2520of%2520periods%2520and%2520quotation%2520marks

Not exactly along the same lines as spelling errors and reform, but a development of the language all the same. Brings up a certain question in mind of 'what is a legitimate change' and what isn't. If this is a good change, why isn't spelling?

Guess it matters strictly on how the language is used over time as to what defines changes in English. I'd rather the language evolution be gradual and as a result of use than some sort of bureaucratic process, though.

Lack of zeal results in doing nothing worth judging.

#383996 - 06/09/09 08:06 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TraceLines]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: TraceLines
Here's an interesting thing to note as well:

http://everything2.com/title/The%2520slow%2520reversal%2520of%2520periods%2520and%2520quotation%2520marks

Not exactly along the same lines as spelling errors and reform, but a development of the language all the same. Brings up a certain question in mind of 'what is a legitimate change' and what isn't. If this is a good change, why isn't spelling?

Guess it matters strictly on how the language is used over time as to what defines changes in English. I'd rather the language evolution be gradual and as a result of use than some sort of bureaucratic process, though.

Whether they are street thugs or computer geeks...

I will say this, however. When writing a lengthy post, I use a word processor. I have noticed that, when I cut and paste my post onto this forum, quotation marks, three dots and hyphens do not translate. They are replaced by gibberish. Since I only speak gibberish and Saturday nights, I often post without those particular symbols. The result? Improper grammar.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#383999 - 06/09/09 08:24 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Svengali
Maybe I'll get Kanye West to read it so we can all laugh at how many three-letter words he can't pronounce.

This was damn funny! devilchili witch

Like, ASK, translated, AKS.

#384004 - 06/09/09 09:03 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
When writing a lengthy post, I use a word processor. I have noticed that, when I cut and paste my post onto this forum, quotation marks, three dots and hyphens do not translate. They are replaced by gibberish.

That's funny. I write my longer posts in Word, using voice recognition software. They transpose to LttD without any trouble. I don't know why we should be different.

The phenomenon you describe used to happen to me in other places, which I no longer use so I don't know if it would still happen.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404145 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements