Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#384010 - 06/09/09 09:50 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TraceLines Offline

Loc: Upstate South Carolina, USA
Surely computer geeks aren't the same as street thugs. Though, in certain circles, their use of English can be just as confounding to those uneducated to the jargon. wink

I just attempted to use the dash and ellipses special characters from Word '03, and they seem to copy just fine into LttD. The reason may be that the sites that it doesn't work on don't support Unicode encoding for one reason or another ( or at least, their input methods don't support it ).

Just a guess, though.

Lack of zeal results in doing nothing worth judging.

#384030 - 06/09/09 12:51 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: tekku]
Rodim Offline

Quote:
Coming from an Eastern European background, I do agree that English is illogical and complicated, because of a lack of phonetics and so forth. However, I don't agree with having to reform the language, just because people want to hold onto their ingrained habits and are lazy to learn something new and apply it.

English is not perfect, but neither is any other language.

Couldn't agree more. Excellent answer.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

#384032 - 06/09/09 01:19 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Rodim]
Thrax Orion Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Down with Microsoft Word! Open Office is superior by my reckoning. I believe it also spell checks web based text fields for you, which is definitely useful. And best of all, 'tis free!

#384034 - 06/09/09 01:30 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Thrax Orion]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
And best of all, 'tis free!

The only free cheese is in a mousetrap.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#384036 - 06/09/09 01:38 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: MagdaGraham]
TraceLines Offline

Loc: Upstate South Carolina, USA
Does that axiom actually work with OpenSource software? I mean, sure, it cost someone something to produce it. And it takes just as much time to learn OO than it does Microsoft's products.

I suppose you could mention cost of support and training for deployment in corporate environments... but I think OO has site licensing for those places anyway.

Lack of zeal results in doing nothing worth judging.

#384039 - 06/09/09 02:00 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TraceLines]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: TraceLines

I suppose you could mention cost of support and training for deployment in corporate environments... but I think OO has site licensing for those places anyway.

But that's mainly how Open Source maintains a business model. They give away the software to developers because most businesses will want support and consultants, so even though they have to invest man-hours in the development and loose on licenses they can make it back in other revenue streams, plus they prevent other companies from getting customer lock-in.

You can actually install a dictionary in Firefox and have spell checking without using the cut/paste from Word, but I'm not sure about the quality if you compare the two.

#384046 - 06/09/09 03:09 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: MagdaGraham]
Thrax Orion Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
The only free cheese is in a mousetrap.

I respectfully disagree. Under this context, in regards to me receiving software in exchange for no money, it is indeed a "free lunch". That isn't to imply there is no associated cost because indeed I had to buy food to create the biological energy necessary to consider, install, and use said software. But, it is practically free.

Let me have my cheese, damn it!

Edited by Thrax Orion (06/09/09 03:13 PM)

#384073 - 06/09/09 11:39 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: MissMina1556]
Ozymandias Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Though not a three letter word, I think it's funny when people say ''mouf'' instead of ''mouth''.

It's adorable when my two year old says it, not you Kanye.

#384091 - 06/10/09 07:57 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Ozymandias]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Ozymandias
Though not a three letter word, I think it's funny when people say ''mouf'' instead of ''mouth''.

It's adorable when my two year old says it, not you Kanye.

Some of us have dialects in which we pronounce "mouth" as "mouf" and "earth" as "earf". I still catch myself saying "lookit there", "yonder" and "ain't".

Roho-the illiterate bastard-Rooster

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#384098 - 06/10/09 09:08 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Some of us have dialects in which we pronounce "mouth" as "mouf" and "earth" as "earf". I still catch myself saying "lookit there", "yonder" and "ain't".

Roho-the illiterate bastard-Rooster

Spoken language is a different, er, language than the written word. It helps me to think of them in terms of two separate ways of communicating, with unique properties attributed to each.

Most people consider them one, but no one actually writes the way they speak. I have no issue with colloquial speech, as I find it another aspect of cultural interest and even very charming to learn.

But it's the assumption that the way one utters words are then "correct" when spelled is what annoys me ("mouf", "conversate" et al.).

Often, it means they don't actually know the proper words, nor have any idea how to write them. Reckon' dat's not yer prahb'm. wink

#384100 - 06/10/09 09:50 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Ozymandias Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Roho, I would be able to understand what you are talking about. You seem intelligent here, and otherwise. smile

I'm from Louisville, Kentucky, so I often slip into country bumpkin-isms: borree, instead of borrow, for example. I think we both realize what we're doing, and actually utilize it in a lesser magic context. coopdevil

#384103 - 06/10/09 10:09 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Zaftig
I have no issue with colloquial speech, as I find it another aspect of cultural interest and even very charming to learn.

Should we be fortunate enough to meet, I shall woo you with my gentlemanly Southern accent. I will be the dashing fellow with the mint julep and beard. wink

#384104 - 06/10/09 10:36 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Should we be fortunate enough to meet, I shall woo you with my gentlemanly Southern accent. I will be the dashing fellow with the mint julep and beard. wink

Swoon... Be still my heart. blush

I'll be the one wearing my cleavage. crossbones

#384108 - 06/10/09 11:06 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Zaftig

I'll be the one wearing my cleavage. crossbones

coopdevil

#384179 - 06/10/09 09:36 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Thrax Orion]
Terrenial Offline

Quote:

Ridiculous. Although being outwardly successful is important, it is equally (perhaps even more) important to refine yourself as an individual through the application of Satanism as a philosophy. It is also rather foolish of you to assume that wealth is the only measure of success. Again I reiterate that Satanism is a philosophy, and it is also a religion. It is most certainly NOT a get rich quick scheme or a wealthy gentleman's club. You are also confusing the ability to indulge in material goods and services with liberation. We do not know what drives Kanye West, and from my understanding even if he were to try and tell us we wouldn't understand because he has the verbal capacity of a drunken autistic.

Although in theory what ur saying might sound good to yourself, I think that your missing the point that Satanism is simply to live more of the animal that you already are with no guilt and no repression. To be more in touch with your primitive human nature. Artists like Kanye West, rockstars like Motley Crue are waaay more in touch with their inner animal than most people can relate to, and they are muuch more powerful as well than most. Think about the power of influence, money etc. Yes they are doing a hell of a lot better than some forum guy. Re-read the quote I posted from TSB if you disagree with this view (which is Anton Lavey's view, not mine)...
And even if you come up with some theory that your more "liberated", I would argue that this is nothing more than your inflated ego blinding you again. What do u mean liberated? More free to indulge in your desires? Yah right... Motley Crue members did whatever the hell they wanted to, and their lifestyles were much more liberated than anyones.

And also, the fact that Kanye West doesn't care about his grammar and english is a sign of his higher degree of self-centeredness. I doubt YOU could be so careless of others interpretation of you. Not giving a damn what anyone thinks about you is a true sign of selfishness, and is necessary to be strong and a leader. If you are worried that speaking in "incorrect" grammar or english might make others interpret you as weak and stupid, then you aren't really a leader. A leader DOESNT care! The more self centered you are, the more you only value what you think of yourself, and less of what others think about you. I think that I am intelligent, and whatever anyone else in the entire world thinks about my intelligence couldn't matter less to me.

Quote:

The point is to enhance our sense of selves by insulting an individual or group of individuals we regard as inferior to ourselves at most, and at the very least it is a means by which we may blow off some steam. It is an indulgence, and that is reason enough for us.

Well, that is perfectly acceptable, as long as your conscious that your just complaining. It didnt seem anyone was concious though...

Edited by Terrenial (06/10/09 09:38 PM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406035 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements