Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#382227 - 05/22/09 11:04 AM Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them....
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
...just a suggestion.

If it is over your head, seek help.

If it is over your head, you are probably in the wrong place.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#382296 - 05/22/09 10:52 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
When can we expect a Books on Tape version of Essays in Satanism? crossbones

#382536 - 05/24/09 08:15 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Philotechnic]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Wolf Landon, as I listen to books on CD while I drive, if you record it to CD, I'll buy it. devilchili Probably more than one copy, since favorites tend to get played so much they wear.

I have read the book 3 times already, but will read it more as the years pass.

#382538 - 05/24/09 08:40 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Philotechnic]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

I actually started recording something like that. The files were lost in my last computer crash. I may still do something along those lines, but it will probably be original material not in the books. Maybe in a "lecture" format.

I need to pick up better recording equipment than what I have right now.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#382543 - 05/24/09 09:57 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Warwillow Offline

Loc: Hobart, Australia
Sounds good Svengali. I can't wait, sometimes it's more practical when you live a busy lifestyle, it would be great to buy something like that to listen to while I'm at work or driving there

#382610 - 05/25/09 11:07 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Ah, my lame attempt at humor!

If I may offer a suggestion on cheap recording equipment, Digidesign's Mbox 2 comes with Pro Tools and pretty easy setup:

Mbox 2

This along with a cheap Shure condenser microphone would yield some great results.

#382612 - 05/25/09 11:21 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Philotechnic]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: Wolf Landon
Ah, my lame attempt at humor!

Well, if I did it (and I probably won't), it would be modeled more after The Teaching Company than "Books on Tape." wink

#382731 - 05/26/09 06:28 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
There are a group of English guys that have some great techniques for reading whilst being recorded that you could incorporate into your audio-book:

Professional reading on camera.

What? You didn't think I was actually going to offer a serious suggestion, did you?

#382737 - 05/26/09 07:48 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Terrenial Offline

Originally Posted By: Svengali
...just a suggestion.

If it is over your head, seek help.

If it is over your head, you are probably in the wrong place.

but but but!! (whine whine whine grumble grumble grumble)

#382738 - 05/26/09 07:59 PM But... [Re: Svengali]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Why do I gotta read the books Magister when Satanism comes oh sooo natural too me.. wink

#382743 - 05/26/09 09:19 PM Re: But... [Re: Unknown]
Azathoth Offline

Just so long as I don't have to read anything else after that. wink

#383094 - 05/30/09 06:49 PM Re: But... [Re: Unknown]
Rodim Offline

Originally Posted By: Unknown
Why do I gotta read the books Magister when Satanism comes oh sooo natural too me.. wink

True, but reading books is not harmful. indulging yourself with opinions of experienced satanists and various stuff is food for the mind. that is of course if you like to read, its a choice.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

#383137 - 05/31/09 11:04 AM Re: But... [Re: Rodim]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I agree.
Thanks for the response though.

#383138 - 05/31/09 11:09 AM Re: But... [Re: Unknown]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: Unknown

grin

Attachments
overconfidence-demotivational-poster.jpg

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#383151 - 05/31/09 03:15 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Philotechnic]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NY, USA
Originally Posted By: Wolf Landon
When can we expect a Books on Tape version of Essays in Satanism? crossbones

Naration provided by Morgan Freeman. I'd love to hear him read "Crackwhore charm school".

Sideshow Tuper on Undercroft

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#383153 - 05/31/09 03:30 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Maybe I'll get Kanye West to read it so we can all laugh at how many three-letter words he can't pronounce.

#383156 - 05/31/09 04:34 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
BlasphemousOne Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Quote:
Maybe I'll get Kanye West to read it so we can all laugh at how many three-letter words he can't pronounce.

And here I was hoping it would be read by Betty White.

#383157 - 05/31/09 04:42 PM Re: But... [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
laugh I have got to get me a poster of that one!
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#383159 - 05/31/09 04:59 PM Re: But... [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

Haha... The source link on your attachment just made my day! grin

http://www.DemotivateUS.com

#383223 - 06/01/09 01:00 PM Re: But... [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

That's just brilliant! haha

#383397 - 06/03/09 01:24 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Don't know about you, but I feel like self-flagellation is in order sometimes simply because I know who Kanye West IS.

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#383399 - 06/03/09 01:57 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: August-Wolfe]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

I only know about the asshole because everyone is sending me the recent news articles about his new "book" and all his bragging about being illiterate.

Rap culture really is the bottom of the barrel. If someone were looking to clean the human gene pool, that would be a good place to start.

#383400 - 06/03/09 02:05 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

I only know about the asshole because everyone is sending me the recent news articles about his new "book" and all his bragging about being illiterate.

Bragging about being illiterate, now that's something to be proud of.zombie Way to aim high Mr. West. vomit

I looked up some info on his "book" to see for myself, 52 pages, one sentence per page (not including the blank ones).

Edited by Sideshowtuper (06/03/09 02:17 AM)

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#383401 - 06/03/09 02:32 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Azathoth Offline

Originally Posted By: Sideshowtuper

Bragging about being illiterate, now that's something to be proud of.zombie Way to aim high Mr. West. vomit

It never ceases to amaze me how proud some people are that they don't read.

Kanye West is hardly alone. Look at any social networking site. The few people who fill out the "book" section generally do so so they can say something like, "boks b fo' fagz" or "I don't read, ahahahaha."

#383434 - 06/03/09 09:41 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Azathoth]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
Originally Posted By: Azathoth
Originally Posted By: Sideshowtuper

It never ceases to amaze me how proud some people are that they don't read.

Kanye West is hardly alone. Look at any social networking site. The few people who fill out the "book" section generally do so so they can say something like, "boks b fo' fagz" or "I don't read, ahahahaha."

It never ceases to amaze me how many people just simply don't read, Even if they have the answers right in fromt of their noses! And not just that, it never ceases to amaze me that today's youth in High School are more busy with getting stoned, getting drunk screwing each other, or even playing Bingo with STD's (AIDS, Herpes... BINGO!), or a combination of all of the above, than actually getting a decent education! I mean, if you're not interested why bother going? How did the T-shirt slogan go again? " Ai Laaik Skool especiaallie wan its Klosed".
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#383437 - 06/03/09 10:10 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Heh, one pool in desperate need of chlorine!

#383438 - 06/03/09 10:15 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
My brother in law told me the other day that "books in the future will be written in text message lingo, because it is simpler and makes more sense!"

lol he a fckng dmbass!

#383440 - 06/03/09 10:23 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TheDegenerate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I believe I've already seen a YA book written in textspeak, called TTFN or something like that.

Unfortunately, your idiot brother-in-law may in fact be a prophet.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#383448 - 06/03/09 12:02 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TrojZyr]
ribbit Offline

English has needed spelling reform for a long time.
It's just strange to see it happening completely unplanned and from the bottom up.

#383449 - 06/03/09 12:06 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: ribbit

Really?

#383453 - 06/03/09 12:47 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
TraceLines Offline

Loc: Upstate South Carolina, USA

Why? So the common populace can slaughter a different set of rules?

Lack of zeal results in doing nothing worth judging.

#383458 - 06/03/09 01:15 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TraceLines]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Quote:

No kidding.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#383462 - 06/03/09 01:42 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TraceLines]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: TraceLines

I've been quietly watching this post. Up until now, I haven't seen the need to respond...especially since the original post pretty much said it all. But, it has evolved. I now have two things to say.

1) I love the English language. I do the best I can not to mangle it. Growing up, I never once, as far as I know, studied for an English test, and I never made below an A. Grade school, high school and college. I never needed to, because I practiced the language constantly. I carried a book with me everywhere I went. I still carry a book bag to work. It is filled with books and magazines. While the language is constantly evolving, the idea of taking what I have always loved away and giving it to the dogs is sacrelidge.

2) The arbitrary misuse of the language is a form of anarchy. It demonstrates the futility of anarchy by attempting to deface something of worth in the name of freedom from constraint only to be replaced by another set of rules equally restrictive. Developing a language and symbols within a group is fine. We do that ourselves. To be proud of ignorance concerning anything other than your group makes you fucking stupid. It is living in a self-created ghetto. And, yes...there is even a satanic ghetto; but, that is another rant altogether.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#383488 - 06/03/09 05:32 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark

I hope that never happens. As I understand the rules of the English language are proscriptive, while the rules for my own language for instance are largely descriptive, i.e. they are revised on a regular basis to reflect "how people use the language". This means that already words borrowed from English or French now have their own bastard forms of spelling and words that meant one thing in my generation now means completely the opposite because somehow the people in charge of setting the standard felt that it was easier to change the rules than to teach people the correct spelling and use of the words.

I personally suspect that English will eventually replace my own language as the language for the elite becuase science, IT and other fields use it internationally (and not in the text message form). People of like minds, thinking in terms of possibilities, will seek out each other using a common language. There are some historical precedents for this with French and German or even Latin.

#383489 - 06/03/09 05:35 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: verszou]
Azathoth Offline

#383509 - 06/03/09 07:41 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Azathoth]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Languages grow, and the companies who compile dictionaries debate every year on which new words to add and which unused ones to take away. If a slang term gets wide usage over a significant period of time, then I think it's reasonable to add it. Heck, we still have pop culture terms like "milquetoast" in the dictionary.

However, regarding the examples in the link, I think they should have waited a few more years to see if they were still in popular use.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#383545 - 06/04/09 03:09 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Bill_M]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
Language has a gravitational pull toward a center because the primary goal is to communicate and be understood. We use a common language because we cannot read each other's minds to the detail that language can offer. As one moves away from the center of any common language, we risk communicating something incorrectly or being misunderstood. I find this thread interesting because I have conflicting thoughts on this matter.

Someone who uses the language in any standardized way could be considered operating from a herd-mentality. It is as if the very desire or need to communicate is a herd behavior. That is because, in order to communicate, one must adopt the language of a herd to be understood.

Someone who uses the standardized language well is also rare or elite within the herd using the language. They can be an artisan sculpting the language to their aesthetic desires. Alternatively and sometimes simultaneously, they can can use the language so unambiguously as to communicate exactly their intent with the least risk of being misunderstood.

Someone who coins new words, spellings, and usages stretches the boundaries of language and occasionally expands it. That person can be considered operating from a non-herd perspective when doing so. Alternatively, that person can be considered a member of the herd for not being able or disciplined enough to use the language within the standardized conventions.

To herd or not be heard? That is the question. devilchili

#383546 - 06/04/09 04:02 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Azathoth Offline

Not all groups of people are herds. Not all desires to communicate are "herd" based.

Sometimes people create new words or phrases that are witty or useful.

"Threequel" and "Lookism" do not fall in this category.

#383558 - 06/04/09 09:28 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Bill_M]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#383598 - 06/04/09 07:01 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
Rodim Offline

Quote:
Rap culture really is the bottom of the barrel. If someone were looking to clean the human gene pool, that would be a good place to start.

No kidding.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

-Horace Walpole

#383766 - 06/06/09 07:56 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

Oh... You really shouldn't be wishing for that, believe me!

I went through 3 major spelling reforms in my mother tongue (German). In 1996 they decided for the first time that the German language is all too complicated and needs to be reformed.

That meant not just all dictionaries but all books in German had to be adjusted to the new rules. Teachers had to be trained so that they could teach people the new rules.

Even after years in use people kept being confused and there was still a debate about how useful the new rules really are. As a result they revised the new rules two times so far, once in 2004 and the last time in 2006.

The revised versions kept some of the new rules that were considered useful and switched back to old rules when the new rules didn't seem any better.

We now have those people that never accepted the new rules anyway and still write old style, we have people that write according to the new (yet old) rules from 1996, because they were willing to switch once but refuse to do it all over again and we have a few that really use the newest version (mainly students that need it for school or writers that need if for work).

The majority of German speakers doesn't care about rules at all anymore and is just using what comes to their minds first! coopdevil

#383771 - 06/06/09 11:10 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Skyla]
Ozymandias Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
I wish we would take English that seriously in the States. We should be embarrassed by the fact that many Germans, for example, can speak English more coherently than most of the trash that lives here.

I usually have a live and live attitude, but when millions of people cannot form a complete sentence, or pronounce the words of said sentence, I become a little irate.

Maybe the downward spiral happened when we substituted Western classics for movie novelizations in English class.

#383790 - 06/06/09 04:58 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Skyla]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
I am only just learning that Skyla's mother tongue is not English! I wish the majority of people whose mother tongue is English wrote English as well as Skyla.

There is an insult in French: "Tu parles français comme une vache espagnole!" or "You speak French like a Spanish cow!"

Skyla may become the inspiration for a new compliment:

"You write English like a German Satanist!" devilchili

Hail Skyla!
Hail Satan!

#383791 - 06/06/09 05:01 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Ozymandias]
Terrenial Offline

You know after reading through your posts, I see nothing more than a whiny rant about your personal pet peeve that it bothers you so much about the way other people speak. Seriously um... who cares? Intelligence is much deeper than a surface level interpretation of a person. If your ranting about how Kanye West communicates, then why is such an "ignorant" person so much more successful than you?

Pretentiousness(arrogance) goes hand in hand with stupidity(ignorance), as Metalica would say wink (OH SHIT I MISPELLEDD METALLICA I MUST BE RETAERRDED!!). Get over yourselves

Also, the way you all bend your opinions to agree with whatever someone you respect says... that is not a sign of a leader at all, if anything its nothing more than ass-kissing.

#383797 - 06/06/09 05:55 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Thrax Orion Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Terrenial, your anger seems a bit misdirected. Yes, this thread is about annoyance towards poor use of language, and as the original topic post stipulated: Annoyance towards poor reading comprehension. However, if you are of the opinion that internet message boards are never a place where talk of pet peeves and little annoyances takes place, you are in grave error.

The talk here - yes even the talk on this relatively innocuous topic, is incredibly well thought out and presented when you take into account the fact that we are on the internet: Home of l33t, /b/tards, and thirteen year old clan gamers who type with their fists.

The fact is YOU do not care about the manner in which people choose to communicate and present their intellectual development. And that is fine, but it does not follow that you should post on said topic to berate those that do. Doing so makes you guilty of the same nitpicking behavior that you accuse all else of.

Also when you engage in a friendly debate don't you believe it necessary to at least consider the position of your opponent? It isn't a matter of selling out your own ideals. It is just a behavior that shows basic respect. And when you are in a group of people who all agree that yes, we are selfish and egocentric by nature; It is necessary to observe respect at all times to avoid strong personalities constantly attempting to castrate one another.

#383821 - 06/06/09 10:14 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Ozymandias Offline

Bending my opinion to conform with someone I respect? Not at all.

But I do tend to respect those with whom I agree. And, like Anton Lavey, I can be completely sycophantic.

For instance, Magister Svengali has written several posts about intelligent communication, and the demise of it in the Western world. I agree with that. I also love his book.

As a Satanist, I am ego-centric, but I am also completely secure in my evaluation of other's abilities. I may never attain the superior wit of Magister Nemo, for instance.

Yes, I do evaluate people on the content of their speech. I will admit that there are many skilled people who can neither write nor speak well, and there are many admirable people who mangle English, but I reserve the right to criticize the utter foolishness of the population.

And Kanye West? He may be a millionaire, but he is still an idiot. And to me, that says more about the undiscerning masses
than his talent.

Quote:
Intelligence is much deeper than a surface level interpretation of a person.

If I may quote the Bible,''You can tell a tree by its fruit''.

#383823 - 06/06/09 11:00 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
ribbit Offline

Why does English need spelling reform? I'll tell you why.

Spelling in English is arbitrary, illogical often anti-sensical and ridiculously complicated. Compare it to pretty much any other language with a non-ideographic script from Turkish to Swahili to Bahasa Indonesia to Persian to French or the synthetic language we call Modern German. In none of them do children have to take spelling classes. In none of them do normally educated people need special computer programs to catch errors.

That's because most of them have reasonably logical phonetic spelling. Many of them such as German, Indonesian and Turkish went through conscious episodes of spelling reform to make what was on the page have a clear relation to what was spoken.
English picks up words and never puts them down. That's a strength. But its inability to take the very reasonable step of instituting clear simple rules on those words is stupidity.

#383844 - 06/07/09 05:34 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

Oh my... thanks! blush

Guess the trick is to keep postings as short as possible and to always google phrases you are unsure about. coopdevil

#383846 - 06/07/09 05:48 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

Oh yes, the same way I'm envious about the successes of Chris Crocker and Nayda "Octo-Mom" Suleman.

If I went outside in a diaper and had someone videotaping me playing in dog shit while rambling and screaming, I'd be a youtube hero. I'd be invited to movie awards and probably end up with my own show on MTV.

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#383847 - 06/07/09 05:57 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

I wished our kids were really that clever! grin

Grammar and spelling play a big role in our educational system and of course we have spell checkers on the computer too!

English actually became so popular worldwide because it's one of the easiest to learn and most logical languages. Do you speak a foreign language, ribbit?

#383849 - 06/07/09 06:38 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: ribbit]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
Coming from an Eastern European background, I do agree that English is illogical and complicated, because of a lack of phonetics and so forth. However, I don't agree with having to reform the language, just because people want to hold onto their ingrained habits and are lazy to learn something new and apply it.

English is not perfect, but neither is any other language.

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#383855 - 06/07/09 09:36 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: tekku]
Ozymandias Offline

Quote:
Oh yes, the same way I'm envious about the successes of Chris Crocker and Nayda "Octo-Mom" Suleman.

If I went outside in a diaper and had someone videotaping me playing in dog shit while rambling and screaming, I'd be a youtube hero. I'd be invited to movie awards and probably end up with my own show on MTV.

When can we expect to see that? eek

#383860 - 06/07/09 11:14 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Ozymandias]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

Well, in regards to the diaper business... never.

However, I am hopeful that NBC will get back in touch with me about "Octo-Dad", where I will be competing against 12 other guys to win the affections of Nayda Suleman.

Hmmm, suddenly I'm in the mood to watch James Bond....

devilchili

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#383861 - 06/07/09 11:28 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Ozymandias Offline

I was just watching Dr. No.

Coincidence?

Yeah, probably.

...and this is how threads go completely off topic. devilchili

#383868 - 06/07/09 12:47 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Thrax Orion]
Terrenial Offline

Originally Posted By: Thrax Orion
Terrenial, your anger seems a bit misdirected. Yes, this thread is about annoyance towards poor use of language, and as the original topic post stipulated: Annoyance towards poor reading comprehension. However, if you are of the opinion that internet message boards are never a place where talk of pet peeves and little annoyances takes place, you are in grave error.

The talk here - yes even the talk on this relatively innocuous topic, is incredibly well thought out and presented when you take into account the fact that we are on the internet: Home of l33t, /b/tards, and thirteen year old clan gamers who type with their fists.

The fact is YOU do not care about the manner in which people choose to communicate and present their intellectual development. And that is fine, but it does not follow that you should post on said topic to berate those that do. Doing so makes you guilty of the same nitpicking behavior that you accuse all else of.

Also when you engage in a friendly debate don't you believe it necessary to at least consider the position of your opponent? It isn't a matter of selling out your own ideals. It is just a behavior that shows basic respect. And when you are in a group of people who all agree that yes, we are selfish and egocentric by nature; It is necessary to observe respect at all times to avoid strong personalities constantly attempting to castrate one another.

Well first off, I never said I was angry, in fact I was being kind enough to deliver a well needed slap to some people with inflated egos. Calling people who are much more successful than you morons is pure stupidity. Kanye West is not a moron because he talks a certain way that you don't like. Its just different culture and upbringing. If anything, judging a persons intelligence by the way they speak is a sign of your own ignorance and antisocialness. Sorry to ruin your honeymoon, but speaking in perfect english will not make u a genious, it does not make u "smart", and you will only fool those who are shallow and stupid anyways, so whats the point?

Who is better off, some guy on a forum with an inflated ego and tendency to overcomplicate things, or a millionaire rap artist? Who has more freedom to indulge in whatever they hell they want to? In terms of being a Satanist, Kanye West is doing better than you are.

"It would be an over‐simplification to say that every successful man and woman on earth 
is, without knowing it, a practicing Satanist; but the thirst for earthly success and its ensuing 
realization are certainly grounds for Saint Peter turning thumbs down. If the rich man’s entry 
into heaven seems as difficult as the camel’s attempt to go through the eye of a needle; if the 
love of money is the root of all evil; then we must at least assume the post powerful men on 
earth to be the most Satanic. This applies to financiers, industrialists, popes, poets, dictators, 
and all assorted opinion‐makers and field marshals of the world’s activities.  
Occasionally, through “leakages,” one of the enigmatic men or women of earth will be 
found to have “dabbled” in the black arts. These, of course, are brought to light as in the 
“mystery men” of history. Names like Rasputin, Zaharoff, Cagliostro, Rosenberg and their 
ilk are links—clues, so to speak, of the true legacy of Satan . . . a legacy which transcends 
ethnic, racial, and economic differences and temporal ideologies, as well. The Satanist has 
always ruled the earth . . . and always will, by whatever name he is called.  
One thing stands sure: the standards, philosophy and practices set forth on these pages 
are those employed by the most self‐realized and powerful humans on earth. In the secret 
thoughts of each man and woman, still motivated by sound and unclouded minds, resides 
the potential of the Satanist, as always has been. The sign of the horns shall appear to many, 
now, rather than the few; and the magician will stand forth that he may be recognized.  
 "

#383876 - 06/07/09 01:52 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Thrax Orion Offline

Quote:
Well first off, I never said I was angry, in fact I was being kind enough to deliver a well needed slap to some people with inflated egos.

Your post seemed to have a tone of frustration which I presumed was a form of anger. My mistake. And truly it is kind of you to attempt to instill a basic sense of humility in others. By saying this you tell me you value inward personal development highly, and in this regard we have very similar values.

But that makes this statement all the more puzzling to me:

Quote:
Who is better off, some guy on a forum with an inflated ego and tendency to overcomplicate things, or a millionaire rap artist? Who has more freedom to indulge in whatever they hell they want to? In terms of being a Satanist, Kanye West is doing better than you are.

Ridiculous. Although being outwardly successful is important, it is equally (perhaps even more) important to refine yourself as an individual through the application of Satanism as a philosophy. It is also rather foolish of you to assume that wealth is the only measure of success. Again I reiterate that Satanism is a philosophy, and it is also a religion. It is most certainly NOT a get rich quick scheme or a wealthy gentleman's club. You are also confusing the ability to indulge in material goods and services with liberation. We do not know what drives Kanye West, and from my understanding even if he were to try and tell us we wouldn't understand because he has the verbal capacity of a drunken autistic.

Quote:
If anything, judging a persons intelligence by the way they speak is a sign of your own ignorance and antisocialness. Sorry to ruin your honeymoon, but speaking in perfect english will not make u a genious, it does not make u "smart", and you will only fool those who are shallow and stupid anyways, so whats the point?

The point is to enhance our sense of selves by insulting an individual or group of individuals we regard as inferior to ourselves at most, and at the very least it is a means by which we may blow off some steam. It is an indulgence, and that is reason enough for us.

Edited by Thrax Orion (06/07/09 01:54 PM)

#383991 - 06/09/09 07:25 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TraceLines Offline

Here's an interesting thing to note as well:

http://everything2.com/title/The%2520slow%2520reversal%2520of%2520periods%2520and%2520quotation%2520marks

Not exactly along the same lines as spelling errors and reform, but a development of the language all the same. Brings up a certain question in mind of 'what is a legitimate change' and what isn't. If this is a good change, why isn't spelling?

Guess it matters strictly on how the language is used over time as to what defines changes in English. I'd rather the language evolution be gradual and as a result of use than some sort of bureaucratic process, though.

#383996 - 06/09/09 08:06 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TraceLines]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Here's an interesting thing to note as well:

http://everything2.com/title/The%2520slow%2520reversal%2520of%2520periods%2520and%2520quotation%2520marks

Not exactly along the same lines as spelling errors and reform, but a development of the language all the same. Brings up a certain question in mind of 'what is a legitimate change' and what isn't. If this is a good change, why isn't spelling?

Guess it matters strictly on how the language is used over time as to what defines changes in English. I'd rather the language evolution be gradual and as a result of use than some sort of bureaucratic process, though.

Whether they are street thugs or computer geeks...

I will say this, however. When writing a lengthy post, I use a word processor. I have noticed that, when I cut and paste my post onto this forum, quotation marks, three dots and hyphens do not translate. They are replaced by gibberish. Since I only speak gibberish and Saturday nights, I often post without those particular symbols. The result? Improper grammar.

#383999 - 06/09/09 08:24 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA

This was damn funny! devilchili witch

Like, ASK, translated, AKS.

#384004 - 06/09/09 09:03 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Quote:
When writing a lengthy post, I use a word processor. I have noticed that, when I cut and paste my post onto this forum, quotation marks, three dots and hyphens do not translate. They are replaced by gibberish.

That's funny. I write my longer posts in Word, using voice recognition software. They transpose to LttD without any trouble. I don't know why we should be different.

The phenomenon you describe used to happen to me in other places, which I no longer use so I don't know if it would still happen.

#384010 - 06/09/09 09:50 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TraceLines Offline

Surely computer geeks aren't the same as street thugs. Though, in certain circles, their use of English can be just as confounding to those uneducated to the jargon. wink

I just attempted to use the dash and ellipses special characters from Word '03, and they seem to copy just fine into LttD. The reason may be that the sites that it doesn't work on don't support Unicode encoding for one reason or another ( or at least, their input methods don't support it ).

Just a guess, though.

#384030 - 06/09/09 12:51 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: tekku]
Rodim Offline

Quote:
Coming from an Eastern European background, I do agree that English is illogical and complicated, because of a lack of phonetics and so forth. However, I don't agree with having to reform the language, just because people want to hold onto their ingrained habits and are lazy to learn something new and apply it.

English is not perfect, but neither is any other language.

Couldn't agree more. Excellent answer.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

-Horace Walpole

#384032 - 06/09/09 01:19 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Rodim]
Thrax Orion Offline

Down with Microsoft Word! Open Office is superior by my reckoning. I believe it also spell checks web based text fields for you, which is definitely useful. And best of all, 'tis free!

#384034 - 06/09/09 01:30 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Thrax Orion]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Quote:
And best of all, 'tis free!

The only free cheese is in a mousetrap.

#384036 - 06/09/09 01:38 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: MagdaGraham]
TraceLines Offline

Does that axiom actually work with OpenSource software? I mean, sure, it cost someone something to produce it. And it takes just as much time to learn OO than it does Microsoft's products.

I suppose you could mention cost of support and training for deployment in corporate environments... but I think OO has site licensing for those places anyway.

#384039 - 06/09/09 02:00 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: TraceLines]
verszou Offline

I suppose you could mention cost of support and training for deployment in corporate environments... but I think OO has site licensing for those places anyway.

But that's mainly how Open Source maintains a business model. They give away the software to developers because most businesses will want support and consultants, so even though they have to invest man-hours in the development and loose on licenses they can make it back in other revenue streams, plus they prevent other companies from getting customer lock-in.

You can actually install a dictionary in Firefox and have spell checking without using the cut/paste from Word, but I'm not sure about the quality if you compare the two.

#384046 - 06/09/09 03:09 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: MagdaGraham]
Thrax Orion Offline

Quote:
The only free cheese is in a mousetrap.

I respectfully disagree. Under this context, in regards to me receiving software in exchange for no money, it is indeed a "free lunch". That isn't to imply there is no associated cost because indeed I had to buy food to create the biological energy necessary to consider, install, and use said software. But, it is practically free.

Let me have my cheese, damn it!

Edited by Thrax Orion (06/09/09 03:13 PM)

#384073 - 06/09/09 11:39 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: MissMina1556]
Ozymandias Offline

Though not a three letter word, I think it's funny when people say ''mouf'' instead of ''mouth''.

It's adorable when my two year old says it, not you Kanye.

#384091 - 06/10/09 07:57 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Ozymandias]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Ozymandias
Though not a three letter word, I think it's funny when people say ''mouf'' instead of ''mouth''.

It's adorable when my two year old says it, not you Kanye.

Some of us have dialects in which we pronounce "mouth" as "mouf" and "earth" as "earf". I still catch myself saying "lookit there", "yonder" and "ain't".

Roho-the illiterate bastard-Rooster

#384098 - 06/10/09 09:08 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Some of us have dialects in which we pronounce "mouth" as "mouf" and "earth" as "earf". I still catch myself saying "lookit there", "yonder" and "ain't".

Roho-the illiterate bastard-Rooster

Spoken language is a different, er, language than the written word. It helps me to think of them in terms of two separate ways of communicating, with unique properties attributed to each.

Most people consider them one, but no one actually writes the way they speak. I have no issue with colloquial speech, as I find it another aspect of cultural interest and even very charming to learn.

But it's the assumption that the way one utters words are then "correct" when spelled is what annoys me ("mouf", "conversate" et al.).

Often, it means they don't actually know the proper words, nor have any idea how to write them. Reckon' dat's not yer prahb'm. wink

#384100 - 06/10/09 09:50 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Ozymandias Offline

Roho, I would be able to understand what you are talking about. You seem intelligent here, and otherwise. smile

I'm from Louisville, Kentucky, so I often slip into country bumpkin-isms: borree, instead of borrow, for example. I think we both realize what we're doing, and actually utilize it in a lesser magic context. coopdevil

#384103 - 06/10/09 10:09 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Zaftig
I have no issue with colloquial speech, as I find it another aspect of cultural interest and even very charming to learn.

Should we be fortunate enough to meet, I shall woo you with my gentlemanly Southern accent. I will be the dashing fellow with the mint julep and beard. wink

#384104 - 06/10/09 10:36 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Should we be fortunate enough to meet, I shall woo you with my gentlemanly Southern accent. I will be the dashing fellow with the mint julep and beard. wink

Swoon... Be still my heart. blush

I'll be the one wearing my cleavage. crossbones

#384108 - 06/10/09 11:06 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Zaftig

I'll be the one wearing my cleavage. crossbones

coopdevil

#384179 - 06/10/09 09:36 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Thrax Orion]
Terrenial Offline

Quote:

Ridiculous. Although being outwardly successful is important, it is equally (perhaps even more) important to refine yourself as an individual through the application of Satanism as a philosophy. It is also rather foolish of you to assume that wealth is the only measure of success. Again I reiterate that Satanism is a philosophy, and it is also a religion. It is most certainly NOT a get rich quick scheme or a wealthy gentleman's club. You are also confusing the ability to indulge in material goods and services with liberation. We do not know what drives Kanye West, and from my understanding even if he were to try and tell us we wouldn't understand because he has the verbal capacity of a drunken autistic.

Although in theory what ur saying might sound good to yourself, I think that your missing the point that Satanism is simply to live more of the animal that you already are with no guilt and no repression. To be more in touch with your primitive human nature. Artists like Kanye West, rockstars like Motley Crue are waaay more in touch with their inner animal than most people can relate to, and they are muuch more powerful as well than most. Think about the power of influence, money etc. Yes they are doing a hell of a lot better than some forum guy. Re-read the quote I posted from TSB if you disagree with this view (which is Anton Lavey's view, not mine)...
And even if you come up with some theory that your more "liberated", I would argue that this is nothing more than your inflated ego blinding you again. What do u mean liberated? More free to indulge in your desires? Yah right... Motley Crue members did whatever the hell they wanted to, and their lifestyles were much more liberated than anyones.

And also, the fact that Kanye West doesn't care about his grammar and english is a sign of his higher degree of self-centeredness. I doubt YOU could be so careless of others interpretation of you. Not giving a damn what anyone thinks about you is a true sign of selfishness, and is necessary to be strong and a leader. If you are worried that speaking in "incorrect" grammar or english might make others interpret you as weak and stupid, then you aren't really a leader. A leader DOESNT care! The more self centered you are, the more you only value what you think of yourself, and less of what others think about you. I think that I am intelligent, and whatever anyone else in the entire world thinks about my intelligence couldn't matter less to me.

Quote:

The point is to enhance our sense of selves by insulting an individual or group of individuals we regard as inferior to ourselves at most, and at the very least it is a means by which we may blow off some steam. It is an indulgence, and that is reason enough for us.

Well, that is perfectly acceptable, as long as your conscious that your just complaining. It didnt seem anyone was concious though...

Edited by Terrenial (06/10/09 09:38 PM)

#384196 - 06/11/09 02:09 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
And then there's the plethora of seminal celebrities who are now famous because of YouTube and the various reality shows. There are names we should NOT BE FAMILIAR WITH. Society is bored with artistry and talent before (and without originally)knowing what it is to begin with. Americans have sunk to levels that cast the beam of humiliation upon me - These CANNOT be my brothers and sisters.

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#384261 - 06/11/09 05:32 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Terrenial]
Thrax Orion Offline

Terrenial, you argue your points well enough, but your position is undefendable.

Quote:
Although in theory what ur saying might sound good to yourself, I think that your missing the point that Satanism is simply to live more of the animal that you already are with no guilt and no repression.

Man is indeed an animal as he is not a plant, fungus, or slime mould. And I agree Satanism exalts and celebrates this fact, but I respectfully disagree that man's animal nature is the one and only lesson of Satanism as a body of philosophical ideas. If I took a shit in my hand and threw it at you like a chimp, I doubt that would land me into the position of Magister. Mad homeless men who meander the streets begging for change so they can remain completely obliterated by booze don't strike me as particularly satanic, but they do outdo me in the animal department because they are functioning on the level of a scavenging dog braving the elements.

You really seem to be into the whole rockstar/hessian black metaller mentality of "beers and bitches + senseless self destructive excess = Satan!", and I think you are passing over a lot of deeper truths in the process. And on the issue of Motley Crue, all I can say is when I look at Tommy Lee I see a man who is in a lot of pain that he may never untangle from deep within himself. The sensation of liking what you see in the mirror cannot be purchased, and no number of warm beautiful groupies will replace true love of the self.

Quote:

And also, the fact that Kanye West doesn't care about his grammar and english is a sign of his higher degree of self-centeredness. I doubt YOU could be so careless of others interpretation of you.

Deliberate ignorance is not a sign of selfishness, but fear. It is the sign of a true coward who must construct a fortress of unassailable beliefs around his ego to prevent the cruelty of his own inner critic from rending him asunder. I write the way I do because indulging in my talent brings me joy, and I love to carefully express, both with severity and precision, my belief in the great truths of this world which reveal themselves to those who would dare see. Imagine where we would be if Anton LaVey approached language with your flippant attitude.

Quote:
If you are worried that speaking in "incorrect" grammar or english might make others interpret you as weak and stupid, then you aren't really a leader. A leader DOESNT care! The more self centered you are, the more you only value what you think of yourself, and less of what others think about you.

Is that so? Then why isn't George W. Bush on Mt.Rushmore? Why do people still read Caesar's Anticato, or Hitler's Meinkampf? Great leaders lead with tongues and pens that move nations. They create ideas and illicit the love of their people by investing in them impossible dreams, and outlining a means by which they become real. How do you not see this?

Quote:
I think that I am intelligent, and whatever anyone else in the entire world thinks about my intelligence couldn't matter less to me.

I am feeling kind and poetic today, so I'll share something with you: I agree. I don't think you're unintelligent, but that is even greater folly in my mind because you seem almost intentionally resistant to some very basic facts about your world and the philosophy of Satanism that I'm sure you harbor a great love for. My question is: Why? It's not like allowing yourself to be proven wrong will annihilate you.

Oh and there's one more matter we agree on: A person's ability to articulate most certainly does not necessarily indicate their intellectual capacity. It does prevent them from showing it, however. My life partner is one of the most non verbal people I have ever known, but she often thinks on a stunningly profound level, and she does so with an ease I both envy and admire.

Edited by Thrax Orion (06/11/09 05:37 PM)

#385542 - 06/23/09 02:48 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Thrax Orion]
Azathoth Offline

I remembered this thread today.

Besides Dr. Anton LaVey, there seem to be some authors that the general public regularly reads, but seldom comprehends.

Two that immediately come to mind are Carl Jung and Fredrich Nietzsche. Today, I finished Twilight of the Idols. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though much of it was familiar territory to me as I've already read a lot of Nietzsche. I am currently reading The Portable Carl Jung.

One thing that strikes me whenever I read these two authors is the contrast between them and their current audiences.

Whenever I read Nietzsche, it is rather obvious to me that he hates egalitarians of all stripes. He singles out anarchists, socialists, humanists and democrats as some of the forces that are bringing about the Last Man. He clearly sees many secular trends as dangerous to the kind of human being he most admires. Yet I know countless people who are adherents to those ideologies that have appropriated Nietzsche for their own purposes.

They primarily seem to use him as a tool for Bible bashing and ignore the rest of his philosophy, while at the same time trying to present him as one of their own. I used to know a very vocal, self-proclaimed anarchist "punk rocker" who regularly wore a giant homemade design of Nietzsche on his jacket. He was fond of referring to Nietzsche as "the first anarchist." I wonder how much Nietzsche he read, because I can think of at least two passages where Nietzsche compares anarchism with early Christianity disfavorably.

Similarly, I recently found the Myspace page of a "Young Communist" organizer which featured a giant picture of Nietzsche next to the flag of the USSR and a picture of Lenin. They were identified as "liberators of the proletariat." I felt like banging my head into the keyboard.

And don't get me started about people who "read" his books and still think he caused the Holocaust.

The crowd that has co-opted Jung must be even more illiterate. Based on what I'd heard about him through other people, I expected Jung to be nothing more than Aleister Crowley with a psychoanalytic background. I actively avoided his works for a long time for that very reason. They sounded like irrational New Age crap disguised as science.

Boy, have I been pleasantly surprised! I've read about seventy pages of the Portable Jung volume and I can't get enough! From what I've seen so far, Jung gave many rational, scientific explanations for phenomena previously attributed to spiritual forces. He viewed man as an animal and examined him from that perspective. Absolutely no spiritual pipe dreams!

#385582 - 06/23/09 11:42 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: tekku]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

English didn't start out with such difficult phonetics, but it also didn't start out with such a vast number of synonymous words. The primary reason English is so difficult is because it amounts to "original" English, as a Germanic language, absorbing a considerable vocabulary from French, Latin, and Greek. In fact, English conforms to original phonetics of each word surprisingly well considering adjustments to vernacular use over several centuries.

At the price of being difficult to learn, English provides an impressive choice in words. In a way I find it unfortunate that so many underestimate the potential of English as a literary language; with multiple word choices to express one idea, there exists considerable leeway for connotation and sound composition, where it seems to me many other languages must rely on sentence structure and word order to convey subtlety of meaning (not to say this is necessarily worse, but it does give English some advantages).

On top of that, English is sufficiently simple in its alphabet that it can be made intelligible across a VERY wide range of accents or alterations in the "true" phonetics. In other words, every phoneme has sufficient range of intelligible pronunciation that you could essentially apply the native phonetics of any other language to it and still understand it - English speakers can usually understand someone fine even if they speak with a very thick foreign accent. Compare to German, for example, where seemingly minor vowel pronunciations can alter entire meanings, or at the least, sound entirely wrong.

English is of course nowhere near perfect; it's difficult to learn and most native speakers readily admit that a vast percentage of the vocabulary is unknown to them, though usually those are words not commonly used in vernacular.

#385589 - 06/23/09 12:20 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
The poet William Blake called English a "rough basement". That's how I've always thought of it — like a cottage, with the upstairs redone, but underneath is an earth cellar littered with musty boxes full of queer knick knacks.

#385592 - 06/23/09 12:36 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Azathoth]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: Azathoth

Two that immediately come to mind are Carl Jung and Fredrich Nietzsche. Today, I finished Twilight of the Idols. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though much of it was familiar territory to me as I've already read a lot of Nietzsche. I am currently reading The Portable Carl Jung.

One thing that strikes me whenever I read these two authors is the contrast between them and their current audiences.

I remember three different readings of Nietzsche. Once being much younger and trying to find out if he was really the mastermind behind the third reich. Then later, more well read reading him as the opponent of Wagner, which was at that time my favorite composer and now a third time, after studying the Satanic litterature.

It is quite interesting how your perspective on him changes with age and learning, especially now, reading him in the context of "The Anti-Christ" with an afterword by Magister Svengali (I haven't gotten that far yet, so I cannot comment on that part). In my youth there would be many places where lack of experience and adherence to politically correct views would have given me pause, but now his words ring so much clearer to me.

#385599 - 06/23/09 01:01 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: reprobate]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Quote:
rough basement

Thank you, Warlock reprobate.

And so many word treasures buried.

#385603 - 06/23/09 02:05 PM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: verszou]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Nietzsche and Jung are both solidly on the CoS reading lists for good reason.

My afterword probably weighs in excess on the opposite side of PC, and is not specifically pertinent to Satanism.

#385642 - 06/24/09 12:56 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: Svengali]
verszou Offline

Nietzsche and Jung are both solidly on the CoS reading lists for good reason.

And today is payday, so off to Amazon it is then to fill in that Jung-shaped hole in my library.

My afterword probably weighs in excess on the opposite side of PC

I would have expected nothing less from you Magister smile

and is not specifically pertinent to Satanism.

Thanks for clarifying that. I've read some of your writings that are not specifically on Satanism and found them interesting as well. Though I don't always agree with you it's interesting to read about the issues from a person who is not afraid to take an unpopular stand on them.

#385651 - 06/24/09 05:26 AM Re: Try actually READING the books instead of just looking at them.... [Re: verszou]
Azathoth Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou
Then later, more well read reading him as the opponent of Wagner, which was at that time my favorite composer and now a third time, after studying the Satanic litterature.

It's interesting you mentioned this because I've started listening to Wagner for the same reason. I was also on a Schopenhauer "kick" for a while and it's interesting to see how Wagner incorporated Schopenhauer's ideas about drama into his operas.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12150 Members
73 Forums
43915 Topics
405717 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements