06/01/09 08:01 PM
New England, USA
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister
Bill_M  Offline
CoS Magister

New England, USA
Originally Posted By: s810
I remember the late Great George Carlin had a bit on this very topic.

Originally Posted By: Favenris
I'm very familiar with Carlin's misanthropic look on the subject, and I agree with him. Let's just cut all the theatrics and serve what people want: blood, violence, destruction.

You're talking about two very different routines of his. S810 is referring to the "Baseball-Football" comparison bit, which first showed up around '75. That's not the same as his '86 "Sports" routine from Playin' with your Head that was later revamped around '92, where he talks about violence being entertainment. Regardless, his books offer much more details about his views on sports and the related herd conformity.

Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Bill_M] #383234
06/01/09 08:37 PM
06/01/09 08:37 PM
Mordor
Herr_S Offline
Herr_S  Offline

Mordor
Never enjoyed sports. If someone bothers me by asking me what team I support I always tell them that I support the ones they hate the most. That's about the only fun I get from sports..

Each misdirected act of compassion is a waste of magical energy.
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Herr_S] #383238
06/01/09 09:27 PM
06/01/09 09:27 PM
Norway.
HenrikS Offline
HenrikS  Offline

Norway.
I too have never been much of a sports-fan. But I can see your connection to it, even if it is as you say... quite heard-minded. But; as the statements say! Indulgence is critical. And if sports float your boat, then you must indulge. Such are the laws of nature themselves.
And to edit my topic: I probably would enjoy sports if there only was a bloody, serious and deadly one such as the gladiators of the old kingdom. I could enjoy that. One on one without the means of today's warfare.

Last edited by HenrikS; 06/01/09 09:30 PM.

In your left of days
these are desperate graves
give me the alter
let me shine
the pendulum won’t wait.
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Venus Flytrap] #383243
06/01/09 09:39 PM
06/01/09 09:39 PM
New England
Ebenezer Scrooge Offline
Ebenezer Scrooge  Offline

New England
Personally, I hate watching sports, with the exception of the occasional Red Sox game. I much prefer playing sports to watching them.

I love baseball, funnest game there is. Football I always kinda had a grudge against, steaming from when I was a child. Apparently Pop Warner football had a weight limit and I was above it.

I was too big to play football;what the heck, how can you be too big to play football? Some of those guys are huge!

Now that I am older, I understand why they have a weight limit;parents probably wouldn't want their kids getting crushed to death. grin

I decided instead of drop a few lbs, just to play baseball, instead. I enjoyed it, alot!

Of course, when I got to high school, the tables turned and they wanted bigger guys to the point were you were almost peer pressured into playing; which brings me to a quote a friend of mine once said.

Quote:
I didn't succumb to peer pressure in high school;I didn't drink, didn't do drugs and I never played high school football"

grin

"If they'd rather die, they had better do it and decrease the surplus population."-Ebenezer Scrooge

“I don't mean to sound bitter,cold,or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”-Bill Hicks
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Venus Flytrap] #383244
06/01/09 09:45 PM
06/01/09 09:45 PM
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock
HellofallHells  Offline
CoS Warlock

I watch the occasional hockey game. It's the only sport I find remotely entertaining.

Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Venus Flytrap] #383248
06/01/09 10:06 PM
06/01/09 10:06 PM
Circling A Star
Minus Offline
CoS Member
Minus  Offline
CoS Member

Circling A Star
Quote:
...stranger still (when I) walk into a sports bar clad in all black attire with leather trench coat, steel toe boots and an inverted crucifix necklace, and begin yelling and cheering at the TV as the struggle continues.

You wear that stuff to sports bars? Are you going there FOR the entertainment or AS the entertainment?

Quote:
Why is it everyone assumes that I over look the brutality of football, the agile movements of wrestling, (and) the dynamics of baseball...

Maybe because you are dressed like a vampire. If you are going to stand out in the crowd, you have to be prepared for the assumptions people are going to draw about you.

Uniforms will do nothing but draw attention to you. This is why priests don't wear their collars to strip clubs. They blend in and enjoy the atmosphere; they don't try to change it.

Hail Satan!
Minus

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Minus] #383267
06/01/09 11:58 PM
06/01/09 11:58 PM
Brooklyn, NY
Venus Flytrap Offline OP

CoS Member
Venus Flytrap  Offline OP

CoS Member

Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted By: Minus
Quote:
...stranger still (when I) walk into a sports bar clad in all black attire with leather trench coat, steel toe boots and an inverted crucifix necklace, and begin yelling and cheering at the TV as the struggle continues.

Originally Posted By: Minus
Quote:
You wear that stuff to sports bars? Are you going there FOR the entertainment or AS the entertainment?

[quote]Why is it everyone assumes that I over look the brutality of football, the agile movements of wrestling, (and) the dynamics of baseball...

Maybe because you are dressed like a vampire. If you are going to stand out in the crowd, you have to be prepared for the assumptions people are going to draw about you.

Uniforms will do nothing but draw attention to you. This is why priests don't wear their collars to strip clubs. They blend in and enjoy the atmosphere; they don't try to change it.

On the rare occasion that I actually DO attend a sports bar (mostly watch the game at home or a friend's place), I go there to dress accordingly as I see fit to my own comfort and liking. Regular clothes bore me and pretty much appear on a typical day as my profile picture dictates. SO yes, realizing that I may turn a few heads really doesn't bother me being as how I am an active metal musician and used to it from years of standing out.

Therefore my question was more directed to the inquiry of it being SOOO hard to believe that someone like me ( a Satanist and rocker ), could even fancy the notion of showing an interest in sports, rather than my appearance.

"We have such sights to show you" -Hellraiser

On the Undercroft:

http://www.satannet.com/Shadowedlight/

On Facebook

www.facebook.com/Satanicdragon

Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Venus Flytrap] #383271
06/02/09 12:27 AM
06/02/09 12:27 AM
Circling A Star
Minus Offline
CoS Member
Minus  Offline
CoS Member

Circling A Star
Quote:
Therefore my question was more directed to the inquiry of it being SOOO hard to believe that someone like me ( a Satanist and rocker ), could even fancy the notion of showing an interest in sports, rather than my appearance.

I don't believe it has to do with being a Satanist and a rocker. I think it has to do completely with your appearance. That was my point. I am not debating your style of dress. I have no problem with it and I hope you do not take offense to the way I worded my first reply. I am just reminding you that most people judge others at first glance and this may be why you are not recognized as a sports fan. Without talking to you, they have no way of knowing whether or not you are a Satanist or rocker or sports fan or geek. They just see a vampire in the bar yelling at a TV.

Hail Satan!
Minus

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Minus] #383274
06/02/09 12:50 AM
06/02/09 12:50 AM
Brooklyn, NY
Venus Flytrap Offline OP

CoS Member

CoS Member

Brooklyn, NY
I took no offence, I see what your saying. People are indeed very visual animals, and most tend to forget that the toughest looking bruts such as bikers for example, are often kind teddy bears by nature and the TRUE monsters are the clean cut church going guys in the three piece suit and tie.

On the Undercroft:

On Facebook

Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Bill_M] #383278
06/02/09 01:13 AM
06/02/09 01:13 AM
Norway
$lesk Offline
CoS Member
$lesk  Offline
CoS Member

Norway
That's a great idea!
Now, to open a strip club.... laugh

I am just a very thin layer of charming with some funny sprinkles wrapped around a huge creamy center of raging arrogant a-hole.
Sermo III & cult 45
| official website | facebook | SoundCloud | reverbnation | twitter |
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: verszou] #383390
06/03/09 02:43 AM
06/03/09 02:43 AM
Brooklyn, NY
Venus Flytrap Offline OP

CoS Member

CoS Member

Brooklyn, NY
[quote=verszou

I must admit that reading the Satanic literature has taken a bit of the excitement out of sports, because now I cannot help but approach it with a feeling that regardless of whether my team wins or not, I still have no accomplishment to show from that but a sore throat and a slight hangover smile

[/quote]

I can see where you may feel that way. I like to think that getting that involved in watching a game to where one is physically drained at the end serves much like that of the intellectual decompression chamber. It at least by fantasy, feeds the instinctual side of our predatory nature as already discussed, and breaks us away from the worries of everyday life. Accomplishments are irrelevant when it comes such ritualized events as actual rituals are performed to burn off that extra energy anyway not caring about the result's end..

Besides, if it's an enjoyable indulgence of yours (or anyone for that matter) than the mere fact that you were able to have fun for three hours should be a triumph alone in our busy and hectic life. devilchili

On the Undercroft:

On Facebook

Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Venus Flytrap] #383423
06/03/09 12:25 PM
06/03/09 12:25 PM
Rodim Offline
Rodim  Offline

Originally Posted By: Shadowed Light
Yes, I am all too aware that sports are one of the most supreme examples of herd-mentality, yet I am of the idea that it is the WAY and REASONS people follow it like a religion that constitudes it as heard-conformity to be a fan. So to seek into exactly what is entailed to sports that indices me to enjoy it from another angle. it is for this reason that it's rare to have someone like myself partaking of the rooting for the home team, and stranger still to have one walk into a sports bar clad in all black attire with leather trench coat, steel toe boots and an inverted crucifix necklace, and begin yelling and cheering at the TV as the struggle continues. Why is it everyone assumes that I over look the brutality of football, the agile movements of wrestling, the dynamics of baseball, and who doesn't love a good hockey fight?

Man, the Human animal, is a predatory creature by nature and would cease to exist if not for preying upon each other. The gladiators are a perfect example of this. People payed good money to see men use strategic methods of out witting and overpowering the enemy to death. The same skills used in the deep wild of ancient tribes and primal Human attributes reined supreme. It is this will to survive, to compete, to kill, to dominate, that drive us as a species to pour forth our aggravations, suppressed in this sterile corporate world, into the sports players as a representation of ourselves, our city, our state, our country.

WAR. That is what is basically what Football is, a structured warfare that feeds that part of ourselves to partake of a fighting struggle in which two armies meet upon the battlefield, with strategic maneuvers to penetrate the enemy's defensive line to invade their territory. Launched by the QB (field general) is an aerial assault of long bullet passes, sometimes from resorting to the "shotgun" with a mission to not only win, but take out the enemy one by one at what ever cost.
I am a sports fan, and glorify the barbaric traits that makes me Human, and I am here to tell you that the attraction to sports is nothing to be ashamed of and is a good way be in touch with that part of yourself society tries so hard to suppress. Though it is not typical for those like-mined of myself among Satanists and "metal-heads", I believe that among many cultural and intellectual pursuits, sports is ALSO a reflection of ourselves.
My beloved home town of Philadelphia:
GO PHILLIES IN THE WORLD SERIES!!
GO EAGLES!!
Hail Satan!!

There is nothing to debate here, since all of this is obvious as the light of day.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Rodim] #383426
06/03/09 12:40 PM
06/03/09 12:40 PM
Pre-Apocalypolis
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock
Roho_the_Rooster  Offline
CoS Warlock

Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Rodim

There is nothing to debate here, since all of this is obvious as the light of day.

Except for the go Eagles part.

Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: Roho_the_Rooster] #383432
06/03/09 02:30 PM
06/03/09 02:30 PM
The Circus
Sakura Offline

Sakura  Offline

The Circus
I've never really enjoyed sports myself, I remember that when I was in High School I'd skip PE classes every chance I got. The only times I was there was when we'd play soft-ball or Judo, the only things I actually thought were worth participating in haha. The worst thing was the Cooper Test, I mean, seriously, I knew my Physical Fitness sucked, why did I need a test to prove what I already knew? whistle I never really sucked at sports, it was just that they never really had anything I enjoyed doing..

I do recall that during my High School period I did practice Muay Thai for two years though. Now I practice Kendo, running and hiking. I prefer solitary sports in general come to think of it.

AS far as sports on TV goes, I skip it. I used to watch darts, but I lost interest once I quit playing myself due to lack of time (and not wanting to spend my money and time on drinks in bars every week). Since I can't get Martial arts or wrestling on TV, there just no use in watching sports. The only time I am actually interested, is when the World- and European Championships Soccer are being played, but only if the Netherlands usually get somewhere, and that really doesn't happen that often. rip

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
Re: The TRUE nature of sports [Re: $lesk] #383501
06/03/09 11:58 PM
06/03/09 11:58 PM
New England, USA
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister
Bill_M  Offline
CoS Magister

New England, USA
Great, another clueless one...

Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Forum Statistics
Forums73
Topics44,559
Posts408,092
Members13,351
Most Online227
Sep 17th, 2018
Advertisements

hold
Page Time: 0.029s Queries: 15 (0.022s) Memory: 1.1095 MB (Peak: 1.3186 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-09-24 16:04:46 UTC