Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#385038 - 06/19/09 08:14 AM Re: Sure? [Re: Svengali]
Magister_Harris Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
Always attempting to be non-conformists, they have to take swipes at those that have supported them.

It's a shame... I like The Genitorturers.
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

#385051 - 06/19/09 10:38 AM Re: Sure? [Re: Svengali]
JCLAG Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Svengali
Maintaining the tradition of "rock stars" (whatever that is) being the generally least impressive representatives of Satanism.

I've never wrapped my mind around why anyone would value the opinions of people who really don't do anything but bob around on stage making noise.

This seems to be the same kind of over-simplified generalization that David Vincent is being chastised for making with respect to calling the heirarchy a "country club."

Yes, musicians bob around on stage, but you forgot to mention the whole busting-their -ass part. Some musicians - even METAL musicians - have a lot to offer to Satanism. While David Vincent's comments are certaily open to debate, lumping all musicians of his genre into one category might be a mistake.
After all, I'm a Metal musician. smile

There is no authority but yourself. - Penny Rimbaud

If everybody likes you, you're just kissing ass. - Jerry Only

#385057 - 06/19/09 11:01 AM Re: Sure? [Re: JCLAG]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
I was making an experience-based observation about mentally deficient people who assume because someone makes noise they like that they are a source of valid information or insight on anything other than making noise.

Just because someone is "famous" for something or another doesn't mean their opinion is valid about anything else. You may as well as Britney Spears or Ice T for medical advice.

I wasn't singling out a genre, it applies equally across the board.

I'm also generally not inclined to refrain from criticizing fellow CoS associates where appropriate (as above), depending on who they are or what they are doing.

If his comments alienate his garden-variety fanboys and fangirls from the CoS, it might actually serve a purpose in my opinion.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#385059 - 06/19/09 11:09 AM Re: Sure? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Where are my golf clubs?
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#385066 - 06/19/09 11:36 AM Re: Sure? [Re: Svengali]
JCLAG Offline
CoS Warlock

I was making an experience-based observation about mentally deficient people who assume because someone makes noise they like that they are a source of valid information or insight on anything other than making noise.

Just because someone is "famous" for something or another doesn't mean their opinion is valid about anything else. You may as well as Britney Spears or Ice T for medical advice.

I wasn't singling out a genre, it applies equally across the board.

I'm also generally not inclined to refrain from criticizing fellow CoS associates where appropriate (as above), depending on who they are or what they are doing.

If his comments alienate his garden-variety fanboys and fangirls from the CoS, it might actually serve a purpose in my opinion.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
Best to you, Magister!
HS!

Edited by JGausten77 (06/19/09 11:45 AM)

#385102 - 06/19/09 02:39 PM Re: Sure? [Re: Magister_Harris]
JCLAG Offline
CoS Warlock

Ah, yes, the Genitorturers.
I believe Bryce Bernius, the old bass player from the Undead, is in that band now, presumably getting punished by Gen on a nightly basis. smile

#385120 - 06/19/09 04:38 PM Re: Sure? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
JCLAG Offline
CoS Warlock

My disagreements with David's "country club" comment aside, I have personally found him to be intelligent in the interviews I've read/seen.

#388114 - 07/18/09 11:48 AM Re: Sure? [Re: JCLAG]
Patrick6 Offline

I love people like David, Thomas Thorn, Manson and King Diamond. These famous musicians and Church members are the one's that people get the most info about as far as the truth about Satanism and the Church of Satan because they are so well known. I can not even tell you how many members have told me that they learned about the Church and Satanism because of King Diamond!

I have read many interviews with all of these people and they are very open about their beliefs and what they are all about. Especially people like Thorn and King who have also been very honest about their beliefs and experiences with the Occult, Supernatural and with Spirit beings. I had the pleasure of talking to King myself recently and I can see why Anton loved him so much and had the highest respect for him, which is why after he checked up on King and the things he was saying could not wait to meet him.

I hope these musicians and Church members never stop talking about Satanism and their membership in their interviews, because I have found out they seem to influence people with the truth about Satanism more than anyone else can

#388196 - 07/19/09 07:13 PM Re: David Vincent Talks About the CoS in New Interview [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
What is a country club? What's supposed to take place in a country club? What does it metaphorically mean?

I sense it was used with ill intentions to whatever it precisely means. What makes me wonder indeed, why would someone post an article of someone else speaking ill of the CoS on a section entitled 'Satanism By Example'? There's something not quite right with that.

#388307 - 07/20/09 04:33 PM Re: David Vincent Talks About the CoS in New Interview [Re: SINClair]
Patrick6 Offline

Why not post it? He is a member in the Church of Satan. And a very popular member at that

#388391 - 07/21/09 03:31 PM Re: David Vincent Talks About the CoS in New Interview [Re: Patrick6]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
Because he is slagging the church off, not honouring it.

#388398 - 07/21/09 04:15 PM Re: Sure? [Re: Svengali]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

Just about all the DUMBEST public statements on Satanism by Church of Satan members that I recall reading in print were by "rock musicians"; King Diamond, Marilyn Manson, Matt Skiba, this guy, etc.

I think it's still a good thing that "celebrities" mention the Church of Satan occasionally. It at least makes people talk about Satanism and those who are interested in the subject will investigate it further anyway.

Hindsight is also 20:20 as the saying goes. In an interview situation it's not always that easy to come up with something really clever to say and personally I'm already satisfied if they manage to not say anything terribly wrong. wink

#388435 - 07/21/09 11:37 PM Re: Sure? [Re: Skyla]
Rodim Offline

Quote:
I think it's still a good thing that "celebrities" mention the Church of Satan occasionally. It at least makes people talk about Satanism and those who are interested in the subject will investigate it further anyway.

Hindsight is also 20:20 as the saying goes. In an interview situation it's not always that easy to come up with something really clever to say and personally I'm already satisfied if they manage to not say anything terribly wrong.

Precisely, but i would like to add that whatever those celebrities say about the church that might sound deluding is their own problem.

And if there are any people in the public that might get that "Righteous retribution" feeling toward the church from hearing/reading those interviews or otherwise makes them feel a bit dumb, in their own consciousness, if any.

They could as easily research the matter rather than spending it on false accusations.

No need to be that concerned about the public, besides the church has a huge history with that subject. and there's nothing they cant fix. wink

Edited by Rodim (07/21/09 11:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

#388456 - 07/22/09 04:17 AM Can we have a little context here? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Quote:
NZRock: You've been affiliated with the Church of Satan for a long time now…

David Vincent: I don't deny it, but I'm not really active in terms of like this heirachy. That can be just as much of a country club, you know, political thing as anything else can be. I joined because I felt like it was a good idea and it's a great antithesis to a number of things out there. And it's certainly a book — Dr. LaVey's original book, and even the subsequent books — it's a good read. And for anyone who has questions about things, that's a great place to start asking questions, because I really feel that organized religion is really at the center of a lot of problems and a lot of closed-mindedness that we have in this world.

What? You mean the CoS Priesthood is comprised of human beings who can be (gasp) cliquish?

I can appreciate that you, with your decidedly anti-aristocratic flair, would be taken aback by his specific phrasing, but I think the point he was trying to make was that he's more interested in doing his own thing than being a CoS spokesman.

Edited by Virus9 (07/22/09 04:20 AM)

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#388457 - 07/22/09 04:32 AM Re: Can we have a little context here? [Re: Virus9]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> you, with your decidedly anti-aristocratic flair <<

Ahh, if only the proletariat could relate to such flair.

Then they would know what being truly aristocratic is.

grin

I think this matter has been done and dusted, and I might add, cleared up in the forums that you do not have access to.

The matter is closed. We need not chirp up any further.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  LKRice 

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406349 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements