Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#385445 - 06/22/09 07:41 AM Did curiosity really kill the cat?
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
I sure hope not, because I'm kinda curious right now grin

I would like to know what animals you people think is ok to have as pets, and what animals you don't think is ok to have as pets, and why it's ok, or not?!

- I personally think cats and dogs are great to have as pets because you can spoil them, and make them happy. But I don't think that spiders is suitable to become pets for example.

- And what about snakes?!

#385447 - 06/22/09 07:48 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
I have a cat and a dog. Indeed, we all make each other happy.

However, I do not feel that in the suburban little cul-de-sac where I live an animal such as, say, a Giraffe, would be at all suitable.

#385451 - 06/22/09 08:26 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Anything the owner can responsibly care for.

Why spiders? They are unusually easy to care for if you know what you're doing. Do you mention this simply because you personally would not want a spider?

As for happiness, for the vast majority of animals, the closest to "happiness" they experience is being fed and not under immediate threat. Social animals such as dogs could be said to have more complex emotions, but it is still a mistake to attribute human emotions to them. You no more understand the dog's mentality than the dog understands yours. As a general thing, people don't even understand each other very well, much less something of another species.

If you happen to own a few hundred acres of well enclosed property in a suitable climate and want to keep African big game animals, and have the funds to support them, have at it. It's probably no worse than what zoos are doing. The chief factor is your capacity to do so.

Of course, there is the caveat that:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

For example, I almost certainly could maintain a horse. In fact, given my location, its care would be easily assured as stables are easily hired. However, owning a horse would end up being a major financial burden for something I really have fairly little long-term interest in. Too many folks acquire animals on a whim, to satisfy some indescribable urge to just own something unusual, without long-term consideration of whether or not they really want to be responsible for it.

#385452 - 06/22/09 08:27 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

I prefer animals, which possess kind of emotional behaviour, plus I have a special positive weakness for cats.

And I am very impressed by koalas, and will try to get one and take care of it, in the future. They are fascinating. smile
I am optimist, when one man in Slovakia can cherish puma, I can have the koala! wink One of my dreams, which wants to become true. smile

#385455 - 06/22/09 08:56 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
To each their own. But, that is hardly a conversation lubricant, is it? grin

My personal rule of thumb is, if it is already domesticated, leave it domesticated. If it is in the wild, leave it in the wild.

Growing up, I have captured my share of turtles, toads, a black widow spider, flying squirrels and a racoon. Those are the ones I remember. I would not do that now.

I have 2 cats. Seeing as the life span of a domesticated cat or dog is increased by a factor of up to 10, I laugh at anyone who calls domestication exploitation, or whatever. Besides, it pisses off PETA, and seems to force those naked PETA chicks to come out.

My ball python...well...I would have to go to Africa to get him into his "natural habitat". Since he has no hands, he is unable to hold a tin can and beg for the plane ticket money. He's stuck with me. grin

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (06/22/09 08:58 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling corrected by snake.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#385457 - 06/22/09 09:36 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
Anything the owner can responsibly care for.

Exactly. That is exactly correct.

Iíve worked as zookeeper for most of my adult life and although I donít have anything currently, Iíve kept a wide variety of exotic animals as pets as well (mostly reptiles).

Because of various environmental and human factors there are some species which rely on the care of qualified individuals for their survival more than you might think.

However, whether these animals should be kept or not has a lot more to do with the abilities and knowledge of the individual who is considering keeping the animal and these decisions should never be taken lightly (never buy a pet on impulse!).

Obviously there are some animals that make better pets for your average person than others; but even some domesticated dog breeds are not very well suited for the average pet owner.

Also, part of responsible animal care is taking into account all laws about whatever animal youíre keeping (especially pertaining to exotics), as wildlife laws can be very complicated and you must factor in both local and national and occasionally international laws when dealing with such matters.

#385462 - 06/22/09 10:50 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
It all depends on what you want to have and what you can have. Cats and dogs are pretty safe pets for most people, because anything they may need is easily available. A more exotic pet may have needs that are not that easy to satisfy like a rare kind of food or specialized medical care that is not commercially available.

I had snakes in the past, but there is a problem of having to feed them other live animals which was unpleasant for me.

Another important thing with pets is how many you want to have. I have a serious problem with relatives who have adopted way too many animals, which makes them a burden and require too many time and resources to maintain.

Remember, as much as you may love and spoil your pet, the animal is supposed to be subordinate to you, never the other way around. I know people who become slaves of their pets, sacrificing their own personal comfort in order to provide for the animals.

And whatever you do, never have a chimpanzee.

#385472 - 06/22/09 11:33 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I agree with everything Rev. Hagen von Tronje said. But I do have a big problem with caged birds. I think it's just intrinsically wrong and unnatural. The poor birds were meant to fly, not sit on a perch in a cage for it's entire life. cry
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#385473 - 06/22/09 11:37 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
III Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: LightAngel
I would like to know what animals you people think is ok to have as pets, and what animals you don't think is ok to have as pets, and why it's ok, or not?!
- And what about snakes?!

I find that Arachnids are my favorite. Why do you ask? Well, they are the most accessible and since they can be found everywhere, this makes them priceless. The Emperor scorpion; I would say, is the most beautiful and shiny. They will also give you a reason to turn on the black light when company arrives.

Edited by III (06/23/09 09:19 AM)

#385477 - 06/22/09 12:02 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: III]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: III

I find that Arachnids are the most worthy.

I hear you!

Though praying mantises give them a run for the money, beauty wise...in my opinion. wink

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#385479 - 06/22/09 12:07 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Old_Pig]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
And whatever you do, never have a chimpanzee.

It's strange how, when the reporter tells her that maybe people shouldn't have chimps for pets, her answer is that chimps are the closest thing to people. What kind of logic is that? Is she in favor of humans as pets?

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#385480 - 06/22/09 12:10 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Nothing wrong with humans as pets either, so long as you can afford the upkeep, which is surprisingly lower than many commonly sold animals. Especially if you convince them to actually do some work around the house.

#385481 - 06/22/09 12:13 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Minus
her answer is that chimps are the closest thing to people

Bah... Just thought about that animal as pet brings me chill.

#385482 - 06/22/09 12:13 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Danny Mc.]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Nephilim
I agree with everything Rev. Hagen von Tronje said. But I do have a big problem with caged birds. I think it's just intrinsically wrong and unnatural. The poor birds were meant to fly, not sit on a perch in a cage for it's entire life. cry

I agree, except in the cases where the birds are physically incapable of flight due to injury, in which case a caged life is the only hope of survival. Otherwise, you are taking away the greatest gift given to any animal on earth simply for the aesthetics of your home. A shame, really.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385483 - 06/22/09 12:14 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
Especially if you convince them to actually do some work around the house.

ONLY if you can convince them to do some work around the house. smile

-Ethiopian Proverb

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404145 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements