Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#385484 - 06/22/09 12:14 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: ]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Spelled Moon

And I am very impressed by koalas, and will try to get one and take care of it, in the future. They are fascinating. smile
I am optimist, when one man in Slovakia can cherish puma, I can have the koala! wink One of my dreams, which wants to become true. smile

One thing you should beware of though is that even though they look cute and hugable they are actually not affectionate in any way.

I was in a zoo in Australia some years ago with my then girlfriend who was totally smitten with koalas but talking to the zookeeper (who let us touch a couple of the koalas) she found out that they are not like cats or dogs at all.

#385485 - 06/22/09 12:28 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Just to quibble...

Many raptors such as eagles SEEMINGLY (emphasis on seemingly) don't really care if they are caged so long as they are given real prey, much as snakes seem to completely not care if they live in a cage so long as they get food items. Seems the primary instinct for raptors is to kill. From what I've read, raptors encounter a lot less stress than most other birds when caged.

#385486 - 06/22/09 12:30 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: ]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You mean you don't want this cutie hanging out with you?

#385487 - 06/22/09 12:33 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
Just to quibble...

Many raptors such as eagles SEEMINGLY (emphasis on seemingly) don't really care if they are caged so long as they are given real prey, much as snakes seem to completely not care if they live in a cage so long as they get food items. Seems the primary instinct for raptors is to kill. From what I've read, raptors encounter a lot less stress than most other birds when caged.

I suppose my gripe is based on MY OWN idea of the value of flight. To a bird it is probably just a means of locomotion needed to feed properly and there is not much wonder in it at all.

With that being said, I don't still don't feel comfortable taking away such a wonderful gift. It would be like removing a shark's teeth and feeding him baby food.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#385488 - 06/22/09 12:38 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Most private bird keepers are decidedly not keeping raptors. Ever seen a bald parrot? Enough said.

#385490 - 06/22/09 12:40 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

I see that you were very particular in choosing the right photo, the most horrible from horrible,

the mission "increase of chill" successful. grin

Edited by Spelled Moon (06/22/09 12:43 PM)
Edit Reason: correction

#385491 - 06/22/09 12:41 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385492 - 06/22/09 12:43 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Most private bird keepers are decidedly not keeping raptors. Ever seen a bald parrot? Enough said.

Bald parrots are not nearly as majestic as Bald Eagles.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385493 - 06/22/09 12:50 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Old_Pig]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
And whatever you do, never have a chimpanzee.

This probably won't win me any friends but, I have to admit, I giggled the entire way through that video. I think it has to do with the fact that this monkey, who was forced into the role of surrogate human child for this mentally deranged woman, finally lost his shit and felt it was time to tear off some fuckin' faces.

Maybe I'm projecting...

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385495 - 06/22/09 12:58 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: ]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Yeah...but he has most of his teeth.

Where I come from, that's called "A Keeper".

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#385496 - 06/22/09 01:21 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: III]
Rodim Offline

I've got once a very generous gift from a friend for my birthday, he breeds reptiles. Although their venom is not fatal to adults, i still though keep my copperhead in a cage. I Love them because they symbolize the nature of the human being, the vigilant and ruthless human being. and are a great pet to include with rituals for a complete successful and a sensational ritual as well. Do you guys feel the similar way? in reference for ritual purposes..

Edited by Rodim (06/22/09 02:16 PM)

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

#385498 - 06/22/09 01:30 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Individuals (with most of teeth) of which species could be considered as "A Keeper"? wink

#385503 - 06/22/09 02:28 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Rodim]
Tiberia Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I am in no way an authority on snakes nor am I making a judgment on whether or not they should be kept as pets. However, I always thought Copperheads were venomous to humans, so the following statement challenged my curiosity:

Originally Posted By: Rodim
Although their venom is not fatal for humans, i still though keep my copperhead in a cage.

What I found on Wikipedia:

"Although venomous, these snakes are generally non-aggressive and bites are almost never fatal. Copperhead venom has an estimated lethal dose of around 100mg, and tests on mice show its potency is among the lowest of all pit vipers, and slightly weaker than that of its close relative, the cottonmouth. The bite of a cottonmouth is more serious, however, as they have a much larger venom yield than a copperhead. Copperheads often employ a "warning bite" when stepped on or agitated and inject a relatively small amount of venom, if any at all. "Dry bites" involving no venom are particularly common with the copperhead, though all pit vipers are capable of a dry bite.

Bite symptoms include intense pain, tingling, throbbing, swelling, and severe nausea. Damage can occur to muscle and bone tissue, especially when the bite occurs in the outer extremities such as the hands and feet, areas in which there is not a large muscle mass to absorb the venom. A bite from any venomous snake should be taken very seriously and immediate medical attention sought, as allergic reaction and secondary infection are always possible."

My reason for clarification was to inform anyone that might encounter a Copperhead that they absolutely can be fatal to humans if handled improperly and/or by the wrong people. And at the very least, a bite can be extremely unpleasant.

#385504 - 06/22/09 02:29 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

"As for happiness, for the vast majority of animals, the closest to "happiness" they experience is being fed and not under immediate threat. Social animals such as dogs could be said to have more complex emotions, but it is still a mistake to attribute human emotions to them."

Being happy seems to me to be a bigger issue for people than it is for cats or dogs, and perhaps even most other mammals.

Animals have us beat when it comes to being able to experience happiness because they simplify it to its most rudimentary elements. Many of us need philosophy, self-deceit, all manner of neurosis to "convince" us of our happiness.

Mammals need food, a nice place to piss and to be scratched once in a while. Happiness is a firm sense of well-being and I'm sure however it deviates for them, they certainly have it when they have it.

As for the original topic of what types of animals we have and what type of animals we would want, I'm all about cats. If I were going to have an undomesticated animal it would still be a cat, probably a lynx.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#385505 - 06/22/09 02:45 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: ]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Spelled Moon
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Individuals (with most of teeth) of which species could be considered as "A Keeper"? wink

ME!!! grin

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406363 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements