Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#385445 - 06/22/09 07:41 AM Did curiosity really kill the cat?
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
I sure hope not, because I'm kinda curious right now grin

I would like to know what animals you people think is ok to have as pets, and what animals you don't think is ok to have as pets, and why it's ok, or not?!

- I personally think cats and dogs are great to have as pets because you can spoil them, and make them happy. But I don't think that spiders is suitable to become pets for example.

- And what about snakes?!

#385447 - 06/22/09 07:48 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
I have a cat and a dog. Indeed, we all make each other happy.

However, I do not feel that in the suburban little cul-de-sac where I live an animal such as, say, a Giraffe, would be at all suitable.

#385451 - 06/22/09 08:26 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Anything the owner can responsibly care for.

Why spiders? They are unusually easy to care for if you know what you're doing. Do you mention this simply because you personally would not want a spider?

As for happiness, for the vast majority of animals, the closest to "happiness" they experience is being fed and not under immediate threat. Social animals such as dogs could be said to have more complex emotions, but it is still a mistake to attribute human emotions to them. You no more understand the dog's mentality than the dog understands yours. As a general thing, people don't even understand each other very well, much less something of another species.

If you happen to own a few hundred acres of well enclosed property in a suitable climate and want to keep African big game animals, and have the funds to support them, have at it. It's probably no worse than what zoos are doing. The chief factor is your capacity to do so.

Of course, there is the caveat that:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

For example, I almost certainly could maintain a horse. In fact, given my location, its care would be easily assured as stables are easily hired. However, owning a horse would end up being a major financial burden for something I really have fairly little long-term interest in. Too many folks acquire animals on a whim, to satisfy some indescribable urge to just own something unusual, without long-term consideration of whether or not they really want to be responsible for it.

#385452 - 06/22/09 08:27 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

I prefer animals, which possess kind of emotional behaviour, plus I have a special positive weakness for cats.

And I am very impressed by koalas, and will try to get one and take care of it, in the future. They are fascinating. smile
I am optimist, when one man in Slovakia can cherish puma, I can have the koala! wink One of my dreams, which wants to become true. smile

#385455 - 06/22/09 08:56 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
To each their own. But, that is hardly a conversation lubricant, is it? grin

My personal rule of thumb is, if it is already domesticated, leave it domesticated. If it is in the wild, leave it in the wild.

Growing up, I have captured my share of turtles, toads, a black widow spider, flying squirrels and a racoon. Those are the ones I remember. I would not do that now.

I have 2 cats. Seeing as the life span of a domesticated cat or dog is increased by a factor of up to 10, I laugh at anyone who calls domestication exploitation, or whatever. Besides, it pisses off PETA, and seems to force those naked PETA chicks to come out.

My ball python...well...I would have to go to Africa to get him into his "natural habitat". Since he has no hands, he is unable to hold a tin can and beg for the plane ticket money. He's stuck with me. grin

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (06/22/09 08:58 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling corrected by snake.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#385457 - 06/22/09 09:36 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
Anything the owner can responsibly care for.

Exactly. That is exactly correct.

I’ve worked as zookeeper for most of my adult life and although I don’t have anything currently, I’ve kept a wide variety of exotic animals as pets as well (mostly reptiles).

Because of various environmental and human factors there are some species which rely on the care of qualified individuals for their survival more than you might think.

However, whether these animals should be kept or not has a lot more to do with the abilities and knowledge of the individual who is considering keeping the animal and these decisions should never be taken lightly (never buy a pet on impulse!).

Obviously there are some animals that make better pets for your average person than others; but even some domesticated dog breeds are not very well suited for the average pet owner.

Also, part of responsible animal care is taking into account all laws about whatever animal you’re keeping (especially pertaining to exotics), as wildlife laws can be very complicated and you must factor in both local and national and occasionally international laws when dealing with such matters.

#385462 - 06/22/09 10:50 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
It all depends on what you want to have and what you can have. Cats and dogs are pretty safe pets for most people, because anything they may need is easily available. A more exotic pet may have needs that are not that easy to satisfy like a rare kind of food or specialized medical care that is not commercially available.

I had snakes in the past, but there is a problem of having to feed them other live animals which was unpleasant for me.

Another important thing with pets is how many you want to have. I have a serious problem with relatives who have adopted way too many animals, which makes them a burden and require too many time and resources to maintain.

Remember, as much as you may love and spoil your pet, the animal is supposed to be subordinate to you, never the other way around. I know people who become slaves of their pets, sacrificing their own personal comfort in order to provide for the animals.

And whatever you do, never have a chimpanzee.

#385472 - 06/22/09 11:33 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I agree with everything Rev. Hagen von Tronje said. But I do have a big problem with caged birds. I think it's just intrinsically wrong and unnatural. The poor birds were meant to fly, not sit on a perch in a cage for it's entire life. cry
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#385473 - 06/22/09 11:37 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
III Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: LightAngel
I would like to know what animals you people think is ok to have as pets, and what animals you don't think is ok to have as pets, and why it's ok, or not?!
- And what about snakes?!

I find that Arachnids are my favorite. Why do you ask? Well, they are the most accessible and since they can be found everywhere, this makes them priceless. The Emperor scorpion; I would say, is the most beautiful and shiny. They will also give you a reason to turn on the black light when company arrives.

Edited by III (06/23/09 09:19 AM)

#385477 - 06/22/09 12:02 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: III]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: III

I find that Arachnids are the most worthy.

I hear you!

Though praying mantises give them a run for the money, beauty wise...in my opinion. wink

#385479 - 06/22/09 12:07 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Old_Pig]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Originally Posted By: Old_Pig

It's strange how, when the reporter tells her that maybe people shouldn't have chimps for pets, her answer is that chimps are the closest thing to people. What kind of logic is that? Is she in favor of humans as pets?

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#385480 - 06/22/09 12:10 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Nothing wrong with humans as pets either, so long as you can afford the upkeep, which is surprisingly lower than many commonly sold animals. Especially if you convince them to actually do some work around the house.

#385481 - 06/22/09 12:13 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Minus
her answer is that chimps are the closest thing to people

Bah... Just thought about that animal as pet brings me chill.

#385482 - 06/22/09 12:13 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Danny Mc.]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Nephilim
I agree with everything Rev. Hagen von Tronje said. But I do have a big problem with caged birds. I think it's just intrinsically wrong and unnatural. The poor birds were meant to fly, not sit on a perch in a cage for it's entire life. cry

I agree, except in the cases where the birds are physically incapable of flight due to injury, in which case a caged life is the only hope of survival. Otherwise, you are taking away the greatest gift given to any animal on earth simply for the aesthetics of your home. A shame, really.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385483 - 06/22/09 12:14 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Especially if you convince them to actually do some work around the house.

ONLY if you can convince them to do some work around the house. smile

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385484 - 06/22/09 12:14 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: Spelled Moon

And I am very impressed by koalas, and will try to get one and take care of it, in the future. They are fascinating. smile
I am optimist, when one man in Slovakia can cherish puma, I can have the koala! wink One of my dreams, which wants to become true. smile

One thing you should beware of though is that even though they look cute and hugable they are actually not affectionate in any way.

I was in a zoo in Australia some years ago with my then girlfriend who was totally smitten with koalas but talking to the zookeeper (who let us touch a couple of the koalas) she found out that they are not like cats or dogs at all.

#385485 - 06/22/09 12:28 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Just to quibble...

Many raptors such as eagles SEEMINGLY (emphasis on seemingly) don't really care if they are caged so long as they are given real prey, much as snakes seem to completely not care if they live in a cage so long as they get food items. Seems the primary instinct for raptors is to kill. From what I've read, raptors encounter a lot less stress than most other birds when caged.

#385486 - 06/22/09 12:30 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You mean you don't want this cutie hanging out with you?

#385487 - 06/22/09 12:33 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Just to quibble...

Many raptors such as eagles SEEMINGLY (emphasis on seemingly) don't really care if they are caged so long as they are given real prey, much as snakes seem to completely not care if they live in a cage so long as they get food items. Seems the primary instinct for raptors is to kill. From what I've read, raptors encounter a lot less stress than most other birds when caged.

I suppose my gripe is based on MY OWN idea of the value of flight. To a bird it is probably just a means of locomotion needed to feed properly and there is not much wonder in it at all.

With that being said, I don't still don't feel comfortable taking away such a wonderful gift. It would be like removing a shark's teeth and feeding him baby food.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385488 - 06/22/09 12:38 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Most private bird keepers are decidedly not keeping raptors. Ever seen a bald parrot? Enough said.

#385490 - 06/22/09 12:40 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

I see that you were very particular in choosing the right photo, the most horrible from horrible,

the mission "increase of chill" successful. grin

Edited by Spelled Moon (06/22/09 12:43 PM)
Edit Reason: correction

#385491 - 06/22/09 12:41 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385492 - 06/22/09 12:43 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Most private bird keepers are decidedly not keeping raptors. Ever seen a bald parrot? Enough said.

Bald parrots are not nearly as majestic as Bald Eagles.

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385493 - 06/22/09 12:50 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Old_Pig]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

This probably won't win me any friends but, I have to admit, I giggled the entire way through that video. I think it has to do with the fact that this monkey, who was forced into the role of surrogate human child for this mentally deranged woman, finally lost his shit and felt it was time to tear off some fuckin' faces.

Maybe I'm projecting...

-Ethiopian Proverb

#385495 - 06/22/09 12:58 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Yeah...but he has most of his teeth.

Where I come from, that's called "A Keeper".

#385496 - 06/22/09 01:21 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: III]
Rodim Offline

I've got once a very generous gift from a friend for my birthday, he breeds reptiles. Although their venom is not fatal to adults, i still though keep my copperhead in a cage. I Love them because they symbolize the nature of the human being, the vigilant and ruthless human being. and are a great pet to include with rituals for a complete successful and a sensational ritual as well. Do you guys feel the similar way? in reference for ritual purposes..

Edited by Rodim (06/22/09 02:16 PM)

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

#385498 - 06/22/09 01:30 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Individuals (with most of teeth) of which species could be considered as "A Keeper"? wink

#385503 - 06/22/09 02:28 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Rodim]
Tiberia Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I am in no way an authority on snakes nor am I making a judgment on whether or not they should be kept as pets. However, I always thought Copperheads were venomous to humans, so the following statement challenged my curiosity:

Originally Posted By: Rodim
Although their venom is not fatal for humans, i still though keep my copperhead in a cage.

What I found on Wikipedia:

"Although venomous, these snakes are generally non-aggressive and bites are almost never fatal. Copperhead venom has an estimated lethal dose of around 100mg, and tests on mice show its potency is among the lowest of all pit vipers, and slightly weaker than that of its close relative, the cottonmouth. The bite of a cottonmouth is more serious, however, as they have a much larger venom yield than a copperhead. Copperheads often employ a "warning bite" when stepped on or agitated and inject a relatively small amount of venom, if any at all. "Dry bites" involving no venom are particularly common with the copperhead, though all pit vipers are capable of a dry bite.

Bite symptoms include intense pain, tingling, throbbing, swelling, and severe nausea. Damage can occur to muscle and bone tissue, especially when the bite occurs in the outer extremities such as the hands and feet, areas in which there is not a large muscle mass to absorb the venom. A bite from any venomous snake should be taken very seriously and immediate medical attention sought, as allergic reaction and secondary infection are always possible."

My reason for clarification was to inform anyone that might encounter a Copperhead that they absolutely can be fatal to humans if handled improperly and/or by the wrong people. And at the very least, a bite can be extremely unpleasant.

#385504 - 06/22/09 02:29 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

"As for happiness, for the vast majority of animals, the closest to "happiness" they experience is being fed and not under immediate threat. Social animals such as dogs could be said to have more complex emotions, but it is still a mistake to attribute human emotions to them."

Being happy seems to me to be a bigger issue for people than it is for cats or dogs, and perhaps even most other mammals.

Animals have us beat when it comes to being able to experience happiness because they simplify it to its most rudimentary elements. Many of us need philosophy, self-deceit, all manner of neurosis to "convince" us of our happiness.

Mammals need food, a nice place to piss and to be scratched once in a while. Happiness is a firm sense of well-being and I'm sure however it deviates for them, they certainly have it when they have it.

As for the original topic of what types of animals we have and what type of animals we would want, I'm all about cats. If I were going to have an undomesticated animal it would still be a cat, probably a lynx.

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#385505 - 06/22/09 02:45 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Individuals (with most of teeth) of which species could be considered as "A Keeper"? wink

ME!!! grin

#385506 - 06/22/09 02:46 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Tiberia]
Rodim Offline

True, that's why my friend also taught me some some steps to avoid such tragedies, and of course with the right handling tools it can be very safe.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

-Horace Walpole

#385507 - 06/22/09 02:49 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Insurgent]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
After being rescued, a stray Cat will wolf down any food presented, even to the extent of making himself sick. Within a short time, weeks or months, depending on the individual, he will eat what he wants and leave the rest, knowing that he can come back to it within an hour or two, and there will be more food later in the day.

I can only speak for Cats, but it indicates the animal’s ability to understand when the circumstances have changed.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#385511 - 06/22/09 03:50 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Basher Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mars
Personally I enjoy housecats the most. Reptiles such as snakes and chameleons are interesting as well. I suppose I like these animals the most because I am most comfortable around them, unless the snake is of course a twenty foot anaconda or an immense sea serpent!

I am not fond of large wild predators as I have been stalked by mountain bears and mountain cats before and let me tell you it is not a situation you would enjoy being in without protection!

#385512 - 06/22/09 04:02 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Tiberia]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Copperhead bites are unlikely to be fatal, but because they deploy a hemotoxic venom, localized tissue damage can occur and can cause permanent damage, including lost fingers.

#385513 - 06/22/09 04:08 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Ardra 777 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Oklahoma
I have two cats and a bunch of rats. They play together.

http://www.reddragonx.com

#385515 - 06/22/09 04:32 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Tiberia Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Copperhead bites are unlikely to be fatal, but because they deploy a hemotoxic venom, localized tissue damage can occur and can cause permanent damage, including lost fingers.

You being the resident snake wrangler I appreciate your jumping in here. wink

There are always nitwits that will take a statement such as "not lethal to humans" and put it to the test. And for those people, it bore pointing out that however unlikely it may be, that does not mean never. skull

#385522 - 06/22/09 06:47 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Tiberia]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Any venomous snake should be handled exactly like a venomous snake and not taken for granted.

First, as I've pointed out, even low-toxicity venomous snakes can cause considerable local damage; hemotoxins causing direct tissue destruction, and some neurotoxins can cause nerve damage. Since most of us prefer to keep our fingers and hands intact, grabbing venomous snakes, even those deemed unlikely to be fatal, is a stupid ass idea. This is like saying "oven burns are rarely fatal" and deciding this means you don't need oven mitts.

Second, venom itself is a cocktail of exotic proteins. Many people realize that even non-venomous reptiles can actually cause allergic reactions from bites, as their salivas can and do trigger reactions in some people (compare to allergic reactions to bee stings). Envenomation injects a considerable dose of varied and intentionally destructive proteins into your blood stream. If you do happen to have an allergy to one of them, this is a pretty damn good way to find out.

The ONLY venomous snakes I'd even consider letting your guard down with are extremely low-toxicity rear-fanged colubrids; the most common of these are hog-nosed snakes. This is chiefly because their fangs are positioned at the back of their mouth and are thus unlikely to even be able to reach your skin to penetrate it, although larger, high-toxicity rear-fanged colubrids such as boomslangs can and have caused fatalities. Safe to say that ever viperid and elapid (in laymans terms, all snakes of the viper/rattlesnake/pit viper variety, or the cobra/krait/mamba/coral snake variety) should be treated as a dangerously venomous snake. That includes copperheads.

I should also note, if you do sustain a copperhead bite, you still need medical attention. It is true that many hospitals opt not to administer antivenin for most copperhead bites, but they do administer steroids and other drugs to reduce swelling and tissue damage (a lot of tissue damage comes from local swelling causing arterial constriction, and hence tissue death of lack of blood flow), as well as pain killers to make that burning feeling a little less shitty - because if there's one thing vipers excel at, it's REALLY painful bites.

#385524 - 06/22/09 07:55 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: Minus
Quote:

This probably won't win me any friends but, I have to admit, I giggled the entire way through that video. I think it has to do with the fact that this monkey, who was forced into the role of surrogate human child for this mentally deranged woman, finally lost his shit and felt it was time to tear off some fuckin' faces.

Maybe I'm projecting...

In this particular case, looks like the chimpanzee was the victim of a human who kept it in stressful conditions (looks like she even gave alcohol to the animal)

But still, it's not a good idea to have as a pet a creature that is basically 98% human, with the same short temper and anger as me but three times the muscular strength.

#385525 - 06/22/09 07:58 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Empathy Offline

Loc: Houston
Dogs were the first animal that humans domesticated, and they are still my favorite. I like that they are so happily interactive with their human owners. Unlike most house pets, you can take them to the park, to the lake, to the beach, etc. They respond to training in a way that no other house pets do, and once you've taught them the rules, they generally won't screw up any of your stuff unless you leave them alone for a very long time. Another thing that distinguishes them from your other house pets is that most dogs will fight to protect their owner and, in general they will alert you to an intruder on your property. They guard your lair, which in my opinion is fairly important.

I also look at it from a usefulness perspective. A pet consumes resources that I could be spending on myself, so I prefer to own a pet that not only serves to function as humanity's oldest security system, but who is also friendly and loyal. In my opinion, they are the perfect pet.

For pure visual pleasure, I also enjoy fish, although I do not currently possess any. A friend of mine had invested the money into a rather large saltwater tank, complete with coral, as well as tropical fish. The fish were very colorful and active, and I thought that he was getting value out of his choice of pet.

Not really a fan of cats as house pets, but it's nice to keep a cat around outside. A good outdoor cat will keep your place clear of rats, mice, possum, moles, and squirrels.

Although I'm not violent, I would recommend that people not acquire pets that they cannot physically dominate. Apes, bears, cougars, tigers, etc, are probably a bad idea, because you don't want a potentially aggressive animal that knows it is stronger than you.

#385537 - 06/23/09 12:24 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Empathy]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

I personally have a cat, 10 or so fish, and 3 frogs (White's Dumpy Treefrog, Tomatoe Frog, and Green Treefrog). I have to keep Tom Atoe away from the other two as it is more agressive, but alone is pretty tame. Dumpy enjoys his time perched on My stomach, and the Green Treefrog just stays in the tank.

I have taken care of Red-Tailed Hawks for a short time before taking them to a zoor or what have you to gain better treatment.

Basher, I may not have been stalked by a bear, but I have been stalked by a Cougar and a Coyote, and I agree, it is not a pleasent situation to find yourself in. My girlfriend at the time kept freaking out, I kept having to remind her to take slow deep breaths, to calm down.

As far as "owning" an undomesticated animal, when, and if, I have the proper amount of land, I would like to take care of a Fox, specifically a Fennac Fox. To My knowledge, these are the only Foxes you can legally own. They come from Africa, their huge ears help them to adjust to different climates. I am hesitant though, as I do prefer animals being in their natural habitat. Again, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

#385544 - 06/23/09 03:59 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Rodim Offline

This is like saying "oven burns are rarely fatal" and deciding this means you don't need oven mitts.

Couldn't agree more, though here i got my own personal medication locker. iv got a reasonable variety of the necessary medication including "Anti-venom". And to be frank, it is scary sometimes. specially if a friend accidentally tampers with the cage trying to open it to see the "cute" snake and bite his neck... If there's anyone here who is considering to buy a pet-snake, make sure your fully prepared, accidents DO happen.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

-Horace Walpole

#385563 - 06/23/09 06:55 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Rodim]
Tch0rt Offline

Loc: Uk
I have a Gecko called Loki and she can be curious can the saying be stretched to "curiosity killed the leopard Gecko"

#385565 - 06/23/09 07:21 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Rodim]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I've heard some who keep venomous snakes say they do or would like to keep antivenin on hand, but frankly I don't see the point unless you are keeping exotic snakes and no hospital or zoo nearby keeps antivenin on hand. Antivenin has a shelf life, and not a long one, so unless you're running a major operation where antivenin is really necessary, you're probably just going to throw it away and waste the hundreds of dollars it takes to acquire it. Nevermind that it can only be legally administered by a doctor, so paramedics will still have to haul you to the hospital before you get it.

If you're keeping a venomous snake native to the US (and live in the US), especially a rattlesnake or other viper, it's superfluous anyway. Cro-Fab polyvalent antivenin is stocked by most major hospitals and covers the spectrum of viperid venoms.

#385620 - 06/23/09 06:34 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
Why aren't spiders suitable to become pets?

Provided you have the adequate means to keep the animal, I can't think of any not suitable to become pets. I would not like personally to have birds as pets though, as I think their place is free flying in the sky but I wouldn't say they aren't suitable to be pets, just not mine.

#385649 - 06/24/09 04:20 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
LightAngel Offline

Why spiders? They are unusually easy to care for if you know what you're doing. Do you mention this simply because you personally would not want a spider?

- I have cats, and I don't think cats and spiders go well together.

Many species of spiders can escape through small crevices, so I wouldn't take that chance.

It's all about being responsible, one little mistake from me could cause big damage to my cats.

I think Spiders can be fascinating to watch in nature, but I don't want them in my home (Only the small ones who is already here are welcome. Also because my cats get some entertainment by them) - But each to their own.

#385892 - 06/25/09 10:28 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Old_Pig]
LightAngel Offline

I had snakes in the past, but there is a problem of having to feed them other live animals which was unpleasant for me.

I been thinking about this, and I have come to the conclusion that I agree. Even though the food I give my cats also come from somewhere, then at least it isn't alive.

- And as I just said, I let them hunt the few little spiders that dare to come into our home, but that's because I want them to use their natural hunting instincts because I think it's important for their well-being.

However sometimes I feel sorry for the little spiders and then I capture them and put them back to nature, then my cats look at me like I'm a little crazy, maybe they are right grin

Edited by LightAngel (06/26/09 01:33 AM)

#385905 - 06/25/09 11:16 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

Ok, I just been reading a little about snakes because I never had one, so I don't know much about how to take care of them, but it looks like you don't have to feed them with live animals, you can also use pre-killed method, and frozen/thawed method.

But I need to study this some more.

#385935 - 06/26/09 06:40 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
...it looks like you don't have to feed them with live animals, you can also use pre-killed method...

I think it really depends on the individual snake. I have an 18 year old Anaconda that refuses to eat anything she hasn't killed herself, while, at the same time, I also have a 6 year old Boa that will eat whatever is put in her cage. dead or alive.

#386043 - 06/26/09 07:02 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: DCLXVI]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I think that it is illegal to feed live animals to snakes in the UK. All snake food must be pre-killed.

#386085 - 06/27/09 01:00 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Furrtiv]
Enigma777 Offline

Originally Posted By: Furrtiv
I think that it is illegal to feed live animals to snakes in the UK. All snake food must be pre-killed.

What a barbaric and boring law!!

#386086 - 06/27/09 01:03 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Enigma777 Offline

I love animals.

But I don't ever want to have a pet again.

After all the love and care you give them and the good times you've shared together,
they do not live as long as you do. rip

Edited by Enigma777 (06/27/09 01:04 AM)

#386122 - 06/27/09 11:08 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Enigma777]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
That's life. When owning a pet it should be common knownledge that you will out live them, unless you are unlucky like a few of those people in that clip you posted.

People close to you will die sooner or later as well. Do you stop having friends?

You could wait until you are on your death bed to get a pet. Then he will at least out live you for that brief amount of time.

Just to add. Having to deal with the passing of a good pet is one of the many life lessons to be learned. It is sad and devastating but one that will teach you the true value of those you cherish. The moments of joy that you share with that happy animal are ones that cannot be taken from you in their passing.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#386126 - 06/27/09 11:40 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Discipline]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

I work for animal welfare. Rescued animals may be injured or psychologically damaged. You have to accept that they do not live a normal life span but your job is to make sure that they are happy, loved and cared for, for as long as they continue to live.

Getting a young healthy pet with a normal life expectancy may mean that you expect too much. Bad happens even to them.

#386128 - 06/27/09 12:12 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Discipline]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Discipline
Having to deal with the passing of a good pet is one of the many life lessons to be learned. It is sad and devastating but one that will teach you the true value of those you cherish. The moments of joy that you share with that happy animal are ones that cannot be taken from you in their passing.

Beautifully said.

#386134 - 06/27/09 01:14 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Discipline]
Soleil Noir Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Freudenabteilung
Having to deal with the passing of a good pet is one of the many life lessons to be learned. It is sad and devastating but one that will teach you the true value of those you cherish. The moments of joy that you share with that happy animal are ones that cannot be taken from you in their passing.

In addition to this accurate statement, I'd like to add that anyone who decides to swear off all pets for good due to losing a pet in the past may be cheating themselves out of similar happiness and learning opportunities in the future.

#386172 - 06/28/09 12:20 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: DCLXVI]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: DCLXVI
...it looks like you don't have to feed them with live animals, you can also use pre-killed method...

I think it really depends on the individual snake. I have an 18 year old Anaconda that refuses to eat anything she hasn't killed herself, while, at the same time, I also have a 6 year old Boa that will eat whatever is put in her cage. dead or alive.

Thanks for clarifying that.

#386177 - 06/28/09 02:30 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Alleycat Devil Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
Nothing wrong with humans as pets either, so long as you can afford the upkeep, which is surprisingly lower than many commonly sold animals. Especially if you convince them to actually do some work around the house.

In my experiance the cost of upkeep for humans is noticeably higher than most other types of pets, But then again my of my human "pets" have been in need of high upkeep and ultimatly not worth the effort/cost/affection/effort.

Truthfully I have a weakness for rodents and dog, cats on the other hand (most likly due to a childhood alergy) i've never really developed a taste for.
At best a tollerance (ok, most cats dislike me, I dislike them mutually, both parties do there best to avoid each other) soon I do plan on picking up a ball-python off a friend of mine but I belive part of the attraction is I havn't had that type of creature in my care that was unable to develop or portray a complex personality aside that of a predator OR an animal that has an even chance of outliving me chronoligically (from what I've been told 80 years isn't implausable for a pythons life span)

I think it would be interesting to interact with and observe said creature.

#386255 - 06/29/09 08:44 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MagdaGraham]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: MagdaGraham
I work for animal welfare. Rescued animals may be injured or psychologically damaged. You have to accept that they do not live a normal life span but your job is to make sure that they are happy, loved and cared for, for as long as they continue to live.

Getting a young healthy pet with a normal life expectancy may mean that you expect too much. Bad happens even to them.

Indeed.

And I also work for animal welfare in my own little way.

It's very tempting for me to become a veterinarian, but it's very hard for me to see animals suffer, so I better stick to art wink

#386279 - 06/29/09 12:13 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Old_Pig]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
In this particular case, looks like the chimpanzee was the victim of a human who kept it in stressful conditions (looks like she even gave alcohol to the animal)

Not alcohol. She gave him Xanax laced tea right before the attack. She seemed to be okay with it enough that I'd guess she'd probably given it to him in the past. Xanax has a weird enough range of effects on people. How did this woman think that it would be totally safe for a different species?

#386359 - 06/30/09 10:30 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: HammerOfDoubt]
LightAngel Offline

Some people just isn't mature enough or sane enough to take care of animals.

I know that nobody is perfect and nobody ever will be because we can all make mistakes, even the best can! - However, perfection should still be the goal when you take care of them.

#386651 - 07/02/09 09:14 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Terrenial Offline

"You no more understand the dog's mentality than the dog understands yours. As a general thing, people don't even understand each other very well, much less something of another species."

I digress. Dogs and Cats very obviously have similar moods to humans. We are afterall, the same animal kingdom. There is a popular theory of why we chose to domesticate these two animals the most because cats are very similar in behavior to a girls feminine nature, and dogs to a guys masculine nature.

"As a general thing, people don't even understand each other very well, much less something of another species."

I would rewrite this as: "Most people dont express themselves honestly, hence leading to misunderstanding in others"

The reason I say that is because I have no trouble understanding others or being understood, in fact its all too easy.

#386921 - 07/06/09 10:12 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Terrenial]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Terrenial

"As a general thing, people don't even understand each other very well, much less something of another species."

I would rewrite this as: "Most people dont express themselves honestly, hence leading to misunderstanding in others"

I think misunderstanding can happen for various reasons, and language problems is certainly one of them, even in this forum we got all kinds of nationalities so misunderstanding can very easy appear, even humor can be different from land to land.

#387012 - 07/07/09 12:56 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Ch@os Offline

I have cats and dogs, but I like all animals that are more noble than many people in this hypocritical world, I think that snakes are good companions just as a pet must be careful and be responsible co its their way of life habitat for reptiles are very nice and interesting, spiders can also be pet of course I think that the poison before they take away the poison, salamanders are also pets in terrariums, a hug

#387013 - 07/07/09 01:01 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Terrenial]
Ch@os Offline

Hello
I like psychology and animal behavior, animals usually suffer from phobias and behaviors very similar to those suffered by humans, but are stronger or his view life is more simple than ours, the cat behaviors and psychological patterns are very different from dogs, but is also a good companion of man, which made it a principle that animals and humans interact is something of a rare Alkimia a strange combination of hard to explain but that sometimes happens between Wolf was also ye human interaction in the beginning that I have to be a pet man a hug.

#387088 - 07/08/09 10:12 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Ch@os]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Ch@os
Hello
the cat behaviors and psychological patterns are very different from dogs

I like both cats and dogs, but cats are more close to my heart normally, except my first childhood dog who was a very special dog, not like most dogs because he had cat style grin

#387110 - 07/08/09 12:18 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
RagingSea Offline

Loc: Harlingen, TX
cats rule

#387112 - 07/08/09 12:23 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: RagingSea]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Dogs have Masters
Cats have servants

#387372 - 07/10/09 04:53 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MagdaGraham]
LightAngel Offline

Dogs have Masters
Cats have servants

#387929 - 07/16/09 03:02 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
ribbit Offline

Winston Churchill said

Quote:
Dogs look up to you. Cats look down on you. Pigs treat you as an equal.

#387934 - 07/16/09 03:44 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Discipline]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

. . .Just to add. Having to deal with the passing of a good pet is one of the many life lessons to be learned. It is sad and devastating but one that will teach you the true value of those you cherish. The moments of joy that you share with that happy animal are ones that cannot be taken from you in their passing.

I would like to tell a story about the best friend I ever had.

I was 5 or 6, and My grandmother had a Doberman Pinscher (spelling?) whose name was Hulk. Him and I use to play tag; I would put My food next to his bowl and eat with him (sometimes eating his food too), and I would sleep under the bed with him, arms around him, his paw over Me. My mother would try to get Me get Me out from under the bed, and he would bark, snap and growl at her.

Him and I were very close. One summer he got into a fight with a neighbor's Pitbull and sustained injuries to the throat. My mother tried to clean his wounds, but he would not allow her anywhere near him. Me, being as young as I was, and loving him as much as I did, approached him to clean his injuries. My mother was understandably nervous that I would be harmed, but I wasn't. She directed Me on how to clean his wounds while we waited for the SPCA to come treat him. When they showed up, they were met with the same reaction My mother was. I HAD to be next to him, I had to be there to talk to him if anyone wanted to get close to Hulk.

He recovered, but physically was not the same as he used to be. My grandmother, who hated the fact that Hulk liked Me more than her, gave him to My aunt, who turned around and gave him to some other people.

It is obvious that he has since passed on, as he was already up there in age when we became friends, and I am happy to say that I possess the only picture we ever took of Hulk.

My relationship with him taught Me about love, trust, and compassion. I still hurt, and occassionaly shed a few tears when I think about him. He was the greatest "person", and the best friend, that I have ever had.

#387959 - 07/16/09 12:18 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

I am sorry to hear about Hulk.

My mother hated animals, therefore I could never have a pet. In my teens, I exercised neighbors’ Dogs and helped at the local animal shelter. In retrospect, it is a good thing that no animal was ever in the power of that horrible christian woman my mother.

#387967 - 07/16/09 01:29 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MagdaGraham]
J. Favenris Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
In retrospect, it is a good thing that no animal was ever in the power of that horrible christian woman my mother.

I think that was for the best as well.

Too often I see parents bring a pet home for the kids and soon it becomes neglected. Most of the important tending needs to be done by an adult, such as walking a dog, and if the adult doesn't like the pet, you can be sure that it won't be done often. It's disgusting the way some people treat pets like toys: entertaining for a bit, then stashed away.

I think there should be a license to breed and to buy/adopt a pet. If you are going to be responsible for the life of another living being, you better damn well be qualified.

When I buy my own house, probably in 10 years, I'm definitely going to get a dog and be the best owner I can. There's a lot of research to do in getting one, such as knowing the proper way to walk it, what kind of food it requires, how often it needs to be washed, etc, depending on what breed it is.

Here's my family's dog. He was a bit neglected before I moved in, but now I do my best to always take him on walks at least once a day. I even managed to teach him how to sit! Who said old dogs can't learn new tricks...

I just hope he does okay when I move out on my own in January...

His name is Biscotcho (Spanish), and I don't know what breed he is. Can anybody tell? I can provide more pictures if wished...

#387968 - 07/16/09 02:02 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: SomethingLikEvil
My grandmother, who hated the fact that Hulk liked Me more than her, gave him to My aunt, who turned around and gave him to some other people.

Grrr...

#387972 - 07/16/09 02:18 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

That was a very emotional and well written memory.

Thank you for sharing.

#388015 - 07/17/09 12:53 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Unknown]
Constantin Offline

Loc: Norfolk, VA
I find it rather unfortunate that dogs, cats, and various other animals have been "domesticated" throughout the years, Though I understand the gratification that comes from providing the means for survival to another living being.
Then again, I keep a Chilean rose haired tarantula.
Pets can be loved as much as people, as we are both animals, and as long as the pet owner can provide a suitable environment, Just about any animal can be kept.

Edited by Constantin (07/17/09 12:57 AM)

#388144 - 07/19/09 03:21 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Constantin]
Zaranell Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I like friendly cats from time to time, but I'm a dog person, personally. A dog waits on you; a cat acts like it doesn't owe you anything, despite you being the reason it still lives (or, at the very least, lives comfortably).

I've heard that pigs make great pets though; is anyone here able to confirm this? Sorry if it was already mentioned in this thread, it's 1:30 in the morning and I don't feel like reading all five pages.

#388189 - 07/19/09 06:52 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Zaranell]
SINClair Offline

My cat doesn't owe me anything and she could easily survive by herself if I wasn't in the picture.

Cats are merely independent animals while dogs are absolutely dependent on the owner for everything. To be independent does not make cats unloving or ungreatful as you put it, they just don't show their love by being in your face all the time like most dogs, they do it at their own time, in their own way.

I do not dislike dogs but they would not make the ideal pet to me particularly because they are way too much maintainance.

#388273 - 07/20/09 12:55 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: SINClair]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: SINClair

To be independent does not make cats unloving or ungreatful as you put it, they just don't show their love by being in your face all the time like most dogs, they do it at their own time, in their own way.

I agree.

- Cats also have very different personalities, some are more emotionally needy than others.

Edited by LightAngel (07/20/09 01:03 PM)

#388275 - 07/20/09 01:02 PM Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

Some people are tattoing their cats.

What's your opinion about this?

#388277 - 07/20/09 01:04 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Since it is not a choice of the cat to get tattooed, I don't like it... I see it as unnecessary and invasive.

#388279 - 07/20/09 01:11 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Disgusting.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#388280 - 07/20/09 01:12 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
I think it's bullshit to tattoo your pet.

Ridiculous. vomit

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#388283 - 07/20/09 01:14 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Bruja]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Animal cruelty. That's what this is.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#388285 - 07/20/09 01:18 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Phineas]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Phineas
Animal cruelty. That's what this is.

Exactly!

And cats have really sensitive skin.

#388286 - 07/20/09 01:33 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
That is just cruel.

I could make a joke about it, but it would be in supremely poor taste.

#388290 - 07/20/09 01:59 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: inky]
LightAngel Offline

It's just as sick as when people have cosmetic procedures done on their pets to make them look a certain way.

Edited by LightAngel (07/20/09 02:05 PM)

#388291 - 07/20/09 02:04 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

This looks like if the first photo was just edited in some graphic software...

#388292 - 07/20/09 02:08 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Spelled Moon]
LightAngel Offline

Yup, I found the pictures on a site that makes fun of it.

But I have now removed the pictures because I didn't like them.

This is the site : http://futureupdate.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/cosmetic-procedures-for-pets/

#388296 - 07/20/09 02:49 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

On a serious note.

I guess all this about tattooed Cats, and cosmetic surgery on pets is a whole topic by itself.

I would like to know if there's anybody who support this?

I don't see how for example tail docking, or ear cropping are helping animals.

#388299 - 07/20/09 03:06 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: inky]
Amberpocalypse Offline

Loc: Arizona
Nice, inky. Nice. laugh

#388300 - 07/20/09 03:07 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Amberpocalypse Offline

Yeah, all that is crap. It's the same as the lady on the east coast of the USA that was selling "gothic kittens"... she was piercing them & selling them!!! You're exactly right- the cat can't choose. In my opinion, it's the same as piercing a baby's ears. They don't get it, and they don't need it!!

#388305 - 07/20/09 03:38 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Amberpocalypse]
LightAngel Offline

This really is the latest fashion trend it seems.

#388309 - 07/20/09 04:35 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Quote:

The original purpose of cropping and docking had to do with the jobs of the dogs. Docked ears allowed guard dogs to hear a great deal better, have less infections and less cuts when running through thorny brush. Cropped tails didn't beat the shit out of the dog behind it during pursuit, etc....

Those reasons no longer really exist but they are maintained in the standard, although, now, dogs are no longer disqualified for going natural in the ring.

Tattooed animals? 'fuck those people. Find the one place they do not want tattooed and do it. Minus sterilization.

Y~

Y~

Edited by Ygraine (07/20/09 04:36 PM)

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#388310 - 07/20/09 04:40 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

That's despicable. That girl should have "I'm a fucking moron" forcibly tattooed on her forehead. skull

#388312 - 07/20/09 05:16 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: HellofallHells]
Basher Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mars
I've seen animals with dyed hair. My friend had a black dog with one white spot on its side, he dyed it neon green.

#388325 - 07/20/09 07:06 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Basher]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Not that I'm condoning coloring an animal's hair, but there is a big difference between a vegetable/deposit only color that eventually washes out and tattooing a pet.

Those types of neon hair colors are straight pigment with no chemical activators that open up the hair shaft or irritate the skin, so it's completely harmless. Other people use Kool Aid as a rinse and it has the same effect when used on light colored hair.

Tacky? Possibly, it's all in who you ask.
Abusive? I don't think so.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#388326 - 07/20/09 07:19 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Not to be predictable, but I cannot see how doing that to a cat cannot be seen as abusive. I have yet to have someone tell me it does not hurt.

That being said...I am more than a bit skeptical that we are seeing actual tattoos.

#388329 - 07/20/09 07:39 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
That being said...I am more than a bit skeptical that we are seeing actual tattoos

Yes, I'm having trouble imagining a cat sitting still for that. If it turned out to be some kind of temporary tattoo, then it wouldn't be so much abusive as it would be merely stupid.

#388339 - 07/20/09 10:35 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: HellofallHells]
Zaranell Offline

My dog technically has a tattoo, but it's an ID tat on the inside of his ear. He used to be in Guide Dogs for the Blind, so if he were lost and found without his collar, he theoretically could still be returned to us.

Cosmetic tattooing, however... not only is it unnecessary, but it's ugly as well.

Edited by Zaranell (07/20/09 10:36 PM)

#388345 - 07/21/09 01:04 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
LightAngel Offline

Not to be predictable, but I cannot see how doing that to a cat cannot be seen as abusive. I have yet to have someone tell me it does not hurt.

That being said...I am more than a bit skeptical that we are seeing actual tattoos.

I think this is real unfortunately.

#388346 - 07/21/09 01:41 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

I don't like PETA. But in situations like this, where the fuck is PETA?

#388350 - 07/21/09 02:37 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Discipline]
Zaranell Offline

They tried to rename fish "sea kittens," you expect them to do anything actually useful? I would sooner expect them to start a petition on fly swatters than stop something like this.

#388353 - 07/21/09 03:21 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Poor animals, which end like that... crazy

#388376 - 07/21/09 11:07 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Ygraine]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Ygraine
Quote:

The original purpose of cropping and docking had to do with the jobs of the dogs. Docked ears allowed guard dogs to hear a great deal better, have less infections and less cuts when running through thorny brush. Cropped tails didn't beat the shit out of the dog behind it during pursuit, etc....

Those reasons no longer really exist but they are maintained in the standard, although, now, dogs are no longer disqualified for going natural in the ring.

Tattooed animals? 'fuck those people. Find the one place they do not want tattooed and do it. Minus sterilization.

Y~

Y~

Thanks for the information Ygraine.

I have to say this though, I love long tails and big ears. For me it's beauty and a sign of loving life and nature wink

#388381 - 07/21/09 02:10 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: HellofallHells]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: HellofallHells
That's despicable. That girl should have "I'm a fucking moron" forcibly tattooed on her forehead. skull

That's too nice.

I was thinking of a certain four letter word starting with the letter "C".

#388389 - 07/21/09 03:26 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: TheDegenerate]
HereticPrincess2 Offline

Loc: Des Plaines, IL
I've just walked into this thread, but whatever happened sounds horrible...tattooed cat?! Has anyone else heard about the stupid girl who threw a kitten into an oven set at 500 degrees? frown

Sometimes animals really ARE better than people.

#388400 - 07/21/09 04:51 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Well that settles it. Scumbags the lot of them. skull

#388401 - 07/21/09 04:52 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: TheDegenerate]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Phosis
Originally Posted By: HellofallHells

That's too nice.

I was thinking of a certain four letter word starting with the letter "C".

Works for me.

#388408 - 07/21/09 05:59 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
SINClair Offline

That is animal cruelty.

Most pets hate it and really suffer even when they just have to have a vaccine shot at the vet, nevermind that. What kind of person would carry on tattooing an animal for hours while it screamed and screamed in pain? Unless they put the cat to sleep during it... But even still, whoever's the tattooist responsible, should be forbidden from tattooing again, pay a huge fine and serve jail time. That's unnaceptable.

#388439 - 07/22/09 12:22 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: SINClair]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
Originally Posted By: SINClair
Unless they put the cat to sleep during it...

They do, there is no way it is possible to tattoo a cat without sedating it. It'll make mince meat out of you!!

Just the thought of people doing this to a cat makes me sick. I mean if you want something on a cat, buy one with fur instead of a naked one??!! Or even better, people like this should be prohibited from ever having pets or even children.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#388451 - 07/22/09 02:49 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Sakura]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ok, now that my stomach has stopped churning (the whole kitten/stove comment is going to haunt me for a while), I think I can chime in.

The whole idea of tattooing animals for any purposes other than ID (which is done under sedation) is disgusting and I believe, animal cruelty.
1) it hurts, plain and simple, I would know, and not just during the process, the healing process of a tattoo can be painful too
2) animals can't understand the reason for the pain
3) THEY CAN'T CONSENT
To me that equals cruelty.

As for the aforementioned offenders, I pretty much agree with every heinous act that has been mention here, and I can think of a few that haven't been mentioned that should be considered.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#388566 - 07/22/09 08:43 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Lilibeta]
HereticPrincess2 Offline

Sorry for making your stomach churn with that, but I was just curious if anyone had heard about it.

#388577 - 07/22/09 11:20 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Some people are tattoing [sic] their cats.

What's your opinion about this?

"Uh, you know, you COULD have just bought your pet a $7.99 t-shirt..."

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#388633 - 07/23/09 12:01 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: HereticPrincess2]
Lilibeta Offline

Originally Posted By: HereticPrincess2
Sorry for making your stomach churn with that, but I was just curious if anyone had heard about it.

I know you meant no harm. I just get very emotional and often queasy at such references.

As to your query, no, I haven't heard of that one in particular but I have heard of similar abuses.

*must go hug my cats now*

#388747 - 07/24/09 08:14 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Lilibeta]
HereticPrincess2 Offline

Originally Posted By: Lilibeta
Originally Posted By: HereticPrincess2

I know you meant no harm. I just get very emotional and often queasy at such references.

As to your query, no, I haven't heard of that one in particular but I have heard of similar abuses.

*must go hug my cats now*

I understand *hugs* by the way, where is your signature from? It reminds me of a Dimmu Borgir song, but Hell if I can remember which one (and that's my favorite band!) lol

#388748 - 07/24/09 08:23 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Bill_M]
LightAngel Offline

At least the cat would stay warm through a very cold winter.

Even though I'm sure the wild cats will tease it grin

Anyway....

I need to post a beautiful Siamese Cat. She looks a lot like my cats Mother.

Soooo beautiful jack

#388755 - 07/24/09 09:18 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: LightAngel]
HereticPrincess2 Offline

lol that is so cute! I love the name too. smile
HS!
HP

#388757 - 07/24/09 09:31 AM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Discipline]
iwnmutef Offline

Or, for that matter, besides PETA, where's the ASPCA? I'm a bracelet-wearing monthly supporter of the ASPCA and would like to see that organization kick some butt in this kind of case. It's cruel, the animal has virtually no chance of understanding what it's about at *all*... let the ASPCA come in and prevent some cruelty here, them and allied organizations. An education campaign *might* help, if the people involved aren't too stupid...

"In the secret thoughts of each man and woman, still motivated by sound and unclouded minds, resides the potential of the Satanist, as always has been." - Anton LaVey, _The Satanic Bible_

"Sometimes you're so hell-bent on doing the right thing that you sometimes don't do the *smart* thing." - heard on "Battlestar Galactica"

#388787 - 07/24/09 12:53 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: iwnmutef]
Lilibeta Offline

Great video! But the adorable mewling sounds brought my cats running to beg for attention. hehe

@Iwnmutef: I too would like to see the ASPCA get more involved up front in such cases, not just cleaning up the aftermath. PETA, while their intentions are good, seem to be more about shining the limelight on themselves.

@HereticPrincess2: Full marks! It is a spoken line from a Dimmu song (my favourite band too). The Chosen Legacy.

#388792 - 07/24/09 01:54 PM Re: Tattooed Cat [Re: Lilibeta]
HereticPrincess2 Offline

Yay! I can't believe I forgot though lol frown

I did have a quote from The Sinister Awakening in my signature:

(Where I come from there's no higher authority but me, being my own god is all I was meant to be...Antichristus Spiritualis!)

which is also the headline for my Myspace page, but I used up too much space so I just have my Myspace page link, a link to my Amazon.com wish list (go take a look!) and the thing about our dog.

Edited by HereticPrincess2 (07/24/09 01:58 PM)

#389023 - 07/26/09 08:21 AM Intelligent Cats [Re: Lilibeta]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Lilibeta
Great video! But the adorable mewling sounds brought my cats running to beg for attention. hehe

Heh that's so sweet grin

Cats are very intelligent.

- Look at this cat, according to the person who posted this, his cat use to do this in order to get food.

#389637 - 07/30/09 09:50 AM White Tigers - At What Price? [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

I don't know if this is true confused

If it's true then it's really sad.

From the person who posted the video - ''You thought you knew about white tigers? Well, you're in for a shock.

Watch this video to find out what REALLY happens to create that one, beautiful white tiger.

Because the truth that most people believe is a lie.''

#389738 - 07/30/09 08:16 PM Re: White Tigers - At What Price? [Re: LightAngel]
HereticPrincess2 Offline

I don't even want to watch that, I LOVE tigers...white ones especially.

Sure Dr. Lavey had Togare his lion and Zoltan his black panther as pets, but he was immensely trained in the handling of big cats.

Most idiots who buy them "because they're just cute kittens" have no idea of the power they have as they grow.

I see the fact of people buying big cats, chimps, whatever as pets as a definite form of abuse!

#389749 - 07/30/09 09:04 PM Inbreeding of white tigers [Re: HereticPrincess2]
LightAngel Offline

The video was about inbreeding of white tigers.

It seems that the only way to produce a white tiger is through inbreeding.

I found this :

Inbreeding Time Line

Chronology of the white Bengal tiger up until the death of Mohan:

1820: A white tiger was displayed at Exeter Change.

1915: White tiger cub captured by Maharajah Gulab Singh of Rewa. Upon its death it was gifted to King George V as a sign of India's loyalty to the crown.

25th May 1951: A forest laborer reported sighting a white tiger cub.

26th May 1951: The cub's mother and two of its three siblings were shot and killed.

27th May 1951: Maharaja Martand Singh captured Mohan.

30th May 1951: The cub escapes and a large party goes out to recapture it.

26th February 1952: A normal colored tigress named Begum is captured.

10th April 1955: Begum produced a litter of a male and two female cubs. All were orange, as were all the cubs in her subsequent two litters.

December 1957: Mohan was mated with Radha, his four-year-old daughter from the second litter with Begum.

20th October 1958: Radha produced an all-white litter of a male and three female cubs. They were christened Raja, Rani, Sukeshi and Mohini. Subsequently:

The male and one female (Raja and Rani) were gifted to the National Zoological Gardens in New Delhi.

Mohini was transported to Washington D.C.

Sukeshi was kept for mating with Mohan and remained with him until he was withdrawn from breeding. She was then housed with her son in hopes they would breed but he showed no interest in mating with her and after six years without success she too was transferred to the National Zoological Gardens in New Delhi where she died on the 2nd February 1975.

May 1964: Raja and Rani were mated. Rani gave birth to two white cubs, a male and a female. She mauled both and the female died. The male, 'Tippu' lost his tail and was hand-raised with great difficulty.

August 1965: Two white cubs born to Rani. Both die due to neglect.

19th December 1965: Three white cubs are born to Rani. They were left in her care for just over a month, at which point she lost interest and they were hand-raised. The female dies at the age of 17-months and one male dies on the 17th April 1967 during shipping to the United States.

Breeding of Rani continued and she produced a total of 20 white cubs.

19th December 1969: Mohan died aged 19 years 7 months. All captive white tigers descend from Mohan, which explains why they are so genetically inbred.

#391109 - 08/10/09 11:12 AM Cheshire Cat [Re: Ygraine]
LightAngel Offline

It looks like this topic has come to an END, so I want to end it with some wicked sweetness.

The lovely Cheshire Cat

#398327 - 10/15/09 08:50 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

My 2 cats just died, and it wasn't because of curiosity.

Nope, they died because of old age, and it hurts me like hell.

I just have to be strong, and cope with reality I guess!

#398333 - 10/15/09 10:01 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Everyone who lives with animals has been through this and it never gets any easier. You know that your pets had all possible love and care whilst they were with you and there is nothing more that you could have done for them.

Give it a couple of weeks and then think about adopting another cat or two. Your local animal rescue has many urgently needing new homes.

#398339 - 10/15/09 10:46 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MagdaGraham]
LightAngel Offline

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Everyone who lives with animals has been through this and it never gets any easier. You know that your pets had all possible love and care whilst they were with you and there is nothing more that you could have done for them.

Give it a couple of weeks and then think about adopting another cat or two. Your local animal rescue has many urgently needing new homes.

Nope it's not easy, in fact, I feel kinda sick.

And MagdaGraham, I won't give it a couple of weeks, I need a couple of years, or else I will just compare the new cats, with the old cats, and that's not fair to them. I'm sure you understand.

#398346 - 10/15/09 11:26 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Sorry to hear that.
I still miss all my cats.
Hang in there.

#398353 - 10/15/09 12:04 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
verszou Offline

*hugs*

Really sorry to hear that. I guess there is a small consolation in that it was old age, they got all that they could from life. But of course that doesn't make dealing with the loss any easier.

Best wishes.

#398461 - 10/16/09 12:50 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
LightAngel Offline

Sorry to hear that.
I still miss all my cats.
Hang in there.

Thank you.

I will of course get through this, I just need some time. I miss them of course, and my boyfriend got a ''Cry baby'' as a girlfriend these days, but he is strong enough to handle my sensitivity.

It's just strange how big our home feels without them, all the rooms seems bigger.

#398462 - 10/16/09 01:03 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: verszou]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou
*hugs*

Really sorry to hear that. I guess there is a small consolation in that it was old age, they got all that they could from life. But of course that doesn't make dealing with the loss any easier.

Best wishes.

Thank you for your kind words.

And it's true that the fact that they were old helps a bit, but it doesn't take away the pain, I have loved them for years, and all the memories is haunting my mind ( even when I sleep ) - And I thought I have planned it all so perfect, but I know now that you can't plan everything, I planned to stay strong for them, and sure I was strong, but afterwards I just fell apart.

By the way, do you always know when it's right to put down your pets? - I think this is the hardest I ever had to do in my life.

Edited by LightAngel (10/16/09 10:06 AM)

#398562 - 10/16/09 06:30 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
verszou Offline

By the way, do you always know when it's right to put down your pets? - I think this is the hardest I ever had to do in my life.

I'd say no. We humans are probably very ill equipped to handle that part. I think that we are quite likely to prolong the life of pets because we cannot deal with the loss.

Of course I have no knowledge of your case, this is just a general observation.

I've been "lucky" that all the cats I've grown up with were lost to some kind of misadventure - one day they just didn't come home, and then after a while you just declare them MIA presumed dead. So you have a period to deal with the possibility of loss before the actual loss.

Still makes it hard though frown

#398612 - 10/17/09 04:49 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: verszou]
DamienMocata Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Linenopolis
I'd say we humans could probably never know the best exact moment for putting down a loved companion, but I would hope that those who love their companions would know roughly the right time for releasing them from pain.

When I was growing up, my family and I lost two cats to cancer. And it was obvious they were in pain. For the first one, Miff, and with me being a child myself, I would have wanted to keep him alive to hope he got better.

Of course, now I could see that my hope would actually have caused him much more pain, and when I was there for Sadie's death a few years later, it seemed much more right. That she wouldn't have to suffer.

However, last year a cat we had adopted, Kat, vanished on us. She was an old cat and probably went off to die on her own terms somewhere, but I think that was actually the one I reacted to the worst, because I couldnt have been there for her in her last moments. I just hope she went the way she wanted to.

So, I dont think we could know exactly when, but I would trust that someone who loved their companion would know roughly when. It's still a tough thing to endure, but my cats will live on with me in my memories.

And those who have lost a companion that they loved have my condolences.

Not every cage is made of bars.
"The Humanoid form makes an excellent concentrated protein. " - Davros
"You are a collection of probability fields. " - Me.

#398658 - 10/17/09 03:43 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: DamienMocata]
Matagot Offline

I have a black burmese cat called Pippin. I love anything to do with cats, I collect so much on them from books to cuddly toys. They're always a welcome presence in any home.

#398723 - 10/18/09 07:48 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Matagot]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Hm, one of my cats, Spider, likes to make himslef a welcome presence in any home! He's already ingratiated himslef with the elderly occupants of the row of bungalows behind my house, and with their grandchildren, too. He's supremely manipulative and these old folk fall for it every time, but then again, it's nice to have other people looking out for his safety and wellbeing as much as I do.

#399262 - 10/23/09 07:47 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: verszou]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou

I'd say no. We humans are probably very ill equipped to handle that part. I think that we are quite likely to prolong the life of pets because we cannot deal with the loss.

Of course I have no knowledge of your case, this is just a general observation.

I've been "lucky" that all the cats I've grown up with were lost to some kind of misadventure - one day they just didn't come home, and then after a while you just declare them MIA presumed dead. So you have a period to deal with the possibility of loss before the actual loss.

Still makes it hard though frown

True, it's always hard when you lose somebody you love.

I feel a little better now though, so I guess MagdaGraham was right, maybe I can look for new cats soon.

I just love cats, everything about them is beautiful. No other animals has that kind of charm in my opinion, except of course human-animals like me HA HA witch wink

On a serious note, I can feel everything will be fine again soon, and that's a really great feeling coopdevil

#399286 - 10/23/09 01:06 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
verszou Offline

I'm very happy to hear that you are in the process of dealing with the loss. Take whatever time it takes - you'll know when you're ready for the next one smile

The power of cats is amazing - even though I've been allergic for many years I can still look at a LOLcat and get all mushy and want one.

Best of luck.

#399470 - 10/25/09 04:46 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: verszou]
LightAngel Offline

Thank you wink

Maybe you should try the allergy vaccine.

#399475 - 10/25/09 08:02 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Oh, I just read your precious babies passed away.

I'm so sorry.

I know it hurts so very much deep in the pit of your stomach. Oh, no where does it say you have to be strong. When my dogs passed away, I was literally sick. It does pass, but crying made me feel better. No being strong for Mina! Not when it comes to losing my pets.

I'm thinking of you.

Mina

#399476 - 10/25/09 08:11 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: verszou]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Verszou, I have to tell you something that happened to me. I have been highly allergic to cats all my life. My two daughters are also very allergic.

Well, I want a cat so badly, but I cannot have one at this time because I am moving to an apartment that allows one pet. I have a dog.

But, my girlfriend has a beautiful cat. I was afraid for a long time to touch her cat because of my allergies, but, one day I said "I don't care", I wanted to pet and play with Lulu.

I sat down, and Lulu jumped onto my lap. Cat hair flying everywhere. I sat with her, petted her, let her lick my fingers, then I rubbed my face! Yep, I did the unthinkable when someone is allergic to cats.

Guess what happened? NOTHING! I was so damn happy that I tried this. I have been so afraid to touch cats for a very long time. Now, I'm not sure if this means my allergies are gone, but I am now not afraid to touch cats or be in the same room with them.

Lulu is just a domestic long hair. Just a beautiful cat and I love her.

One day I'll have my own cat. Oh, and I've already told myself I will not be allergic to any cat that comes into my home! grin

#399498 - 10/25/09 12:53 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MissMina1556]
verszou Offline

That was very interesting MissMina. I'm only mildly allergic to cats, but at least when I got tested current medical thinking was that being exposed to an animal you're allergic to will increase the chances of becoming more allergic. Which is why I've avoided getting a cat.

However I've had the same experience as you. Some cats don't cause any symptoms with me at all, while others do. There seems to be no pattern to it, long/short hair, different breeds and so on, it's not predictable how I'll react. So I usually just pack some anti-histamines if I go to visit people who have cats. I've tried the vaccination for other allergies, but it seems that the effect isn't always permanent and the effect can wear off after some time - at least with pollen.

For the moment I don't have to consider what to do though, because I live in a building that doesn't allow pets. By the time I move medical science may have found new ways to deal with the problem smile

#399501 - 10/25/09 01:06 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: verszou]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Good ol' Wikipedia. smile

A hypoallergenic cat is a cat which is less likely to provoke an allergic reaction in humans. There has been a disputed claim based on antigen research that the Siberian and Russian Blue breeds may be naturally hypoallergenic. Similarly, cat breeds such as the LaPerm, Sphynx, Devon Rex, and Cornish Rex, which lack some of the normal layers of cat fur, are generally held by mild allergy sufferers to be significantly less likely than other breeds to provoke an allergic reaction. However, as more people are allergic to the cat's saliva rather than the fur itself, the benefit of a hairless breed may be limited.

Personally, I also have few of allergies, but cats are fortunately not the case. smile

#399513 - 10/25/09 02:33 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
verszou Offline

That's good to know. I've always been partial to Russian blue, so that is very good news for me smile thank you.

#399521 - 10/25/09 03:49 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

That is interesting and puzzling.

My Cat is, as always, a rescue, but this one looks exactly like a Siberian Tabby. A longhair. Very very longhair.

An acquaintance has always been allergic to Cats and I feared that Superfluff would really upset her. But she doesn't create any problem at all.

#399524 - 10/25/09 04:50 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Thanks Spelled Moon. It looks like I'm going to do more research into cats and allergic reactions. This information about the cats saliva is interesting, and I have never heard of that.

#399527 - 10/25/09 05:04 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MissMina1556]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

My pleasure, it required minimum effort from me really. smile
The information, that the occurence of allergic reactions depends on breed, I also heard only recently.
I am glad if I helped a bit. smile

#399588 - 10/26/09 07:04 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MissMina1556]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: MissMina1556
Oh, I just read your precious babies passed away.

I'm so sorry.

I know it hurts so very much deep in the pit of your stomach. Oh, no where does it say you have to be strong. When my dogs passed away, I was literally sick. It does pass, but crying made me feel better. No being strong for Mina! Not when it comes to losing my pets.

I'm thinking of you.

Mina

You know, maybe we are strong because we are able to cry when we need to, I don't think it's very healthy to hold it all inside. I'm not a cold person when I love somebody, I'm only cold to the ones I don't like.

Thank you for your kind words smile

And about allergy, my Mom told me that only 1 person had allergy in her school, but now so many children has allergy. Hmmm maybe it's all that poison we are exposed to everyday even when we live a healthy life.

Who knows?!

#399758 - 10/27/09 12:09 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Minus]
Bryan Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a fish, a friend of mine has wolves.. so this is a tough one for me.

And curiosity couldn't have killed all the cats.

#399879 - 10/28/09 09:02 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Bryan]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: LordAhamora

And curiosity couldn't have killed all the cats.

I'm not sure why, but your post gave me a smile on my face.

I guess I'm going slightly mad, but don't let that fool you lol wink

#400170 - 10/30/09 09:33 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Matagot]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Matagot
I have a black burmese cat called Pippin. I love anything to do with cats, I collect so much on them from books to cuddly toys. They're always a welcome presence in any home.

We went to the Danish Zoo the other day, and my boyfriend bought me a BIG fluffy Leopard, he says I can hold it when I miss my cats hehee jack.... it's just not the same blush but it was very sweet of him.

I want our home to be filled with cat statues, we already have some, but I want more.

#400193 - 10/30/09 11:57 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
fire_vixen Offline

I just read about your cats, and it's really sad. I am sorry about your loss.
Like others here, I hope that in time you would open yourself to loving another cat, or cats.
Best wishes.

#400400 - 11/01/09 04:19 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: fire_vixen]
LightAngel Offline

Thank you very much vixen.

And MagdaGraham, thank you for the advise about the animal rescue places ( I forgot to thank you when I replyed to your post, I didn't have my normal manners that day )

- normally we would buy the new cats from a family. Now we will also look at animal rescue places, when I'm ready, because the personality of the cat is more important than the race, my last cats were Siamese cats and they fit my personality perfect.

I'm open for other races too, if the chemistry is right.

#400404 - 11/01/09 05:16 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

The advantage of obtaining a pet from an animal rescue centre is that they will have had the animal checked by a Veterinary Surgeon.

They do not want people complaining "the pet you gave me has caused me grief by dying" or "the pet you gave me is costing me a fortune in Vet's fees".

Some people are willing to take on a problem, but they are only allowed to do so after consideration of all the facts.

If the reputable rescue centre says the animal is healthy, it is healthy.

#400405 - 11/01/09 05:50 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Maracova Offline

Loc: Australia
I prefer animals, which possess kind of emotional behaviour, plus I have a special positive weakness for cats.

Koala's are great they are in my front and backyard often.They are very cute but be warned they are one of the most violent creatures ever.I have seen one scratch half a person's face off.They like to keep to themselves,and who could blame them...noisy bloody humans keeping them awake during the day! smile

#400406 - 11/01/09 06:47 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Maracova]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Maracova
Koala's are great they are in my front and backyard often.They are very cute but be warned they are one of the most violent creatures ever.I have seen one scratch half a person's face off.They like to keep to themselves,and who could blame them...noisy bloody humans keeping them awake during the day! smile

Yes, I heard about their aggressivity. If people know that koalas sleep during the day and they awake them though, then what can I say...

The perspective, that they usually sleep, so don't need you during the day, makes of them perfect animals to take care of, for some reason.
Of course, it is always a serious decision to take care of any animal, even more when it is strange to the environment, where it would be taken. The choice has to be very careful, if one wants to avoid the problems.

But I always keep dreaming of koalas' sweet faces. smile You are lucky to have them in near.

#400490 - 11/02/09 04:25 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
thecuriouscat Offline

Why not spiders? I have a beautiful rose haired tarantula. My little one loves to pet her (gently of course); I hold and interact with her regularly. She is a great pet.

I also have a California king snake. He is an active guy, always moving, but considerably docile. My son likes to hold and talk to him as well. My son, husband, and I are all allergic to dogs and cats anyway.

Besides, I prefer animals that don't crave attention, are capable of keeping themselves clean, and don't bark incessantly.

Edited by thecuriouscat (11/02/09 04:26 AM)

#400500 - 11/02/09 07:41 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Maracova]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Koala's are great they are in my front and backyard often.They are very cute but be warned they are one of the most violent creatures ever <<

I had no idea they were nasty little bastards. I suppose I presumed they were friendly because they look cute. I'd never thought about it too much but now I know, if I ever visit Australia, I won't go marching over to one going... "Pssss pssss pssss, aw come on."

#400501 - 11/02/09 08:14 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Maracova Offline

Australia has some amazing creatures,but yes as a general rule admire from a respectful distance because most of them can be dangerous.

#400502 - 11/02/09 08:43 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Maracova]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

But I guess there must be some places, where koalas are tamed, because I saw photos of few people hugging them in arms (like one holds for example the cat), or caressing their paws. They weren't their fanciers; I know them and am sure, that they haven't met with those sweet animals before.

#400504 - 11/02/09 09:03 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Maracova Offline

But I guess there must be some places, where koalas are tamed, because I saw photos of few people hugging them in arms (like one holds for example the cat), or caressing their paws. They weren't their fanciers; I know them and am sure, that they haven't met with those sweet animals before.

Your quite right there Spelled Moon.Those Koalas that you speak of are from the zoo's and wildlife reserves.They have been raised from babies by Park Rangers usually because the mother has been killed and they can't be re habited back into the wild.

There was also the amazing footage shown by the media earlier this year during the horrific brushfires in Victoria ,Australia where a Koala was so thirsty from the fire that it actually went up to one of the firefighters and drunk from his hand.It was amazing to watch.

#400505 - 11/02/09 09:15 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Maracova]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

There was also the amazing footage shown by the media earlier this year during the horrific brushfires in Victoria ,Australia where a Koala was so thirsty from the fire that it actually went up to one of the firefighters and drunk from his hand. It was amazing to watch.

Sad and beautiful, at the same time...

#400509 - 11/02/09 10:17 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Maracova]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
...a Koala was so thirsty from the fire that it actually went up to one of the firefighters and drunk from his hand.It was amazing to watch.

I always wonder what some animals think of humans when they see us. Not attempting to start a debate about animals level of cognition or anything, but say, for example, a Cat does have some type of inner monologue. What would it be thinking? "Hey look, its a big hairless monkey... I'm clearly not the same as it, but I have a good feeling about this one. I'm gonna trust it and be its companion." Like, I know we reinforce certain behaviors by giving them food, water, shelter, affection, etc. But does a cat ever wake up and wonder "How did I get paired up with a monkey?"

#400510 - 11/02/09 10:25 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Iscariot]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

If you wonder what they think grin

#400511 - 11/02/09 10:34 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Iscariot]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: Iscariot
But does a cat ever wake up and wonder "How did I get paired up with a monkey?"

Obligated by the state of Kansas, I present the Church’s alternative to my original post:

"But does a cat ever wake up and wonder "How did I get paired up with A UNIQUE CREATURE CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD?"

(And yes, like all good college students, I steal most of my jokes from Family Guy or The Simpsons...)

Edited by Iscariot (11/02/09 10:43 AM)

#400512 - 11/02/09 10:43 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

If you wonder what they think grin

I once had a Persian who was unable to keep herself clean. We were forced to shave her from time to time. Every now and again, I would allow her to go outside half shaved. The reaction was great!

#400592 - 11/03/09 06:52 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: MagdaGraham]
LightAngel Offline

The advantage of obtaining a pet from an animal rescue centre is that they will have had the animal checked by a Veterinary Surgeon.

They do not want people complaining "the pet you gave me has caused me grief by dying" or "the pet you gave me is costing me a fortune in Vet's fees".

Some people are willing to take on a problem, but they are only allowed to do so after consideration of all the facts.

If the reputable rescue centre says the animal is healthy, it is healthy.

Great to know coopdevil

#400840 - 11/05/09 12:06 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Iscariot]
fire_vixen Offline

If you want to know what cats think about humans, I know the answer to this.
Your only reason for existence is to cater to every need of the Cat.

As the joke/aphorism goes: Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.
And another: The dog thinks- this human provides me with food, water, shelter, affection- he must be a God,
and the cat thinks- this human provides me with food, water, shelter, and affection- so I must be a God.

#400843 - 11/05/09 12:28 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: fire_vixen]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
...and the cat thinks- this human provides me with food, water, shelter, and affection- so I must be a God.

I asked a cat about this suggestion.

The cat looked at me, rolled his eyes and said,

"I do not think I am a God. I know this to simply be a fact."

grin

#400848 - 11/05/09 12:52 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: Nemo]
fire_vixen Offline

Exactly true! I can read it in my cat's eyes!

#400851 - 11/05/09 01:03 AM Did Shoggoths Kill the Cat lover? [Re: fire_vixen]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Originally Posted By: fire_vixen
Exactly true! I can read it in my cat's eyes!

I looked into my cat's eyes once, a big mistake. I was instantly overcome by her superior ancient mind and transported into visions of blasphemous realms built with no regard for the laws of geometry nor the laws of man. It was a world of litter with the stench of a thousand open graves, of massive cyclopean yarn balls and shapeless shifting hairball masses. I was driven insane by the mere instant I locked eyes with the beast, I only write these unspeakable facts here to dissuade others from trying the same. I am thankful to have survived, thankful I saw but a glimpse... It is the most merciful thing in the world that man cannot fully comprehend the contents of his cat's mind.

#400852 - 11/05/09 01:08 AM Re: Did Shoggoths Kill the Cat lover? [Re: Delta]
verszou Offline

Excellent devilchili that really brought a smile to my face.

#400857 - 11/05/09 01:40 AM Re: Did Curiosity Kill the Koala lover? [Re: fire_vixen]
Nammu Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pacific NW
The eye of the cat knows all and sees all.grin

Attachments
IMG_8380 kitty crop.jpg

#400868 - 11/05/09 05:57 AM Re: Did Shoggoths Kill the Cat lover? [Re: Delta]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Wonderful! I'm sure my Cat would approve.

Hasty correction - I mean the Cat who graciously allows me to be her protector.

#400870 - 11/05/09 07:16 AM Re: Did Shoggoths Kill the Cat lover? [Re: Delta]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

You're cat lets you look her in the eye!?
I'm jealous.

#400927 - 11/05/09 05:40 PM Re: Did Shoggoths Kill the Cat lover? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Venus Flytrap Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
A bit off topic here, but the past few posts brings upon a question.
Who here has ever looked directly into the eyes of a Bald Eagle?

I used to volunteer at a wildlife park some years back, and I worked with these magnificent creatures, and the way those eyes coldly tore through Me with such intensity, made for a life-lasting impact.

On the Undercroft:

http://www.satannet.com/Shadowedlight/

On Facebook

www.facebook.com/Satanicdragon

#400928 - 11/05/09 05:48 PM Re: Did Shoggoths Kill the Cat lover? [Re: Venus Flytrap]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Shadowed Light

I used to volunteer at a wildlife park some years back, and I worked with these magnificent creatures, and the way those eyes coldly tore through Me with such intensity, made for a life-lasting impact.

Nice experience. I have not had the privilege. Imagine, those eyes are made for one thing...finding prey.

#400934 - 11/05/09 06:12 PM Re: Did Shoggoths Kill the Cat lover? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Venus Flytrap Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Indeed.

On the Undercroft:

http://www.satannet.com/Shadowedlight/

On Facebook

www.facebook.com/Satanicdragon

#401021 - 11/06/09 10:44 AM The Cat [Re: Nemo]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Quote:
...and the cat thinks- this human provides me with food, water, shelter, and affection- so I must be a God.

I asked a cat about this suggestion.

The cat looked at me, rolled his eyes and said,

"I do not think I am a God. I know this to simply be a fact."

grin

Hehee isn't life wonderful jack

Stand and Deliver grin

Edited by LightAngel (11/06/09 11:04 AM)
Edit Reason: It's a cat... so the cat has to edit what else can the cat do

#401027 - 11/06/09 11:54 AM Re: The Cat [Re: LightAngel]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Dog is god spelled backwards
Cat is god spelled correctly

#401037 - 11/06/09 12:35 PM Re: The Cat [Re: LightAngel]
Amberpocalypse Offline

Thank you for that Adam and the Ants video, LightAngel!! The feel of that video deliciously fits the peculiar mood I've been in lately. I feel like a time machine is about to appear before me, or something.

#401294 - 11/09/09 07:00 AM Re: The Cat [Re: MagdaGraham]
LightAngel Offline

Dog is god spelled backwards
Cat is god spelled correctly

#401296 - 11/09/09 07:10 AM Re: The Cat [Re: Amberpocalypse]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: Amberpocalypse
Thank you for that Adam and the Ants video, LightAngel!! The feel of that video deliciously fits the peculiar mood I've been in lately. I feel like a time machine is about to appear before me, or something.

It doesn't sound so bad if you ask me jack

jack

#402814 - 11/21/09 08:52 AM Cats and swine flu.... [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

I'm not trying to create fear or paranoia, but I still consider this important news for pet owners.

I wanted to post this news a long time ago, but I post it now instead, because this flu is actually mutating now, so I felt it was time to post this.

So don't sneeze on your cat, please.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/cat-tests-positive-for-swine-flu.html

#402817 - 11/21/09 09:21 AM Re: Cats and swine flu.... [Re: LightAngel]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

#403006 - 11/23/09 08:03 AM Re: Cats and swine flu.... [Re: MagdaGraham]
LightAngel Offline

I'm sorry to post this.

- We have to take this serious, but stay calm and act intelligent at the same time.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/23311579-46/story.csp

#403012 - 11/23/09 08:35 AM Re: Cats and swine flu.... [Re: LightAngel]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Quote:
We have to take this serious

The ASPCA and all other animal welfare organisations and veterinarians certainly do take it seriously. There is a difference between taking it seriously and worrying unnecessarily.

Transmission between species is not established yet, but this will be a good thing if it convinces people to be extra careful about hygiene.

And have the swine-flu vaccination if possible.

#403208 - 11/24/09 08:36 AM Cats and Art [Re: MagdaGraham]
LightAngel Offline

I need to post some beautiful art inside this topic now, and this song is beautiful in my eyes, and it's for all of us.

The Cure - Lovesong

Because we love ourselves and nature and life

#405588 - 12/12/09 04:15 AM Sweet Kitty [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

I just found this, and I had to share because this is just so sweet jack

#405597 - 12/12/09 07:02 AM Re: Sweet Kitty [Re: LightAngel]
verszou Offline

Aaaaaw! smile

And in case people wonder what the cats are doing while they are away from home: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34262078/

Of course that is what they appear to be doing on the outside, we all know they're plotting to take over the worlds grin

#406100 - 12/18/09 12:29 AM Re: Sweet Kitty [Re: verszou]
LightAngel Offline

My cats use to love looking at animal planet, particularly at other cats. It was funny to see how huge their eyes became when a big lion appeared.

They didn't show a lot of interest when the monkeys was on grin

#414881 - 03/06/10 08:50 AM Oscar the cat can smell death [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

Somebody just told me about Oscar, of course I question everything I read and hear, but I know cats are special so I had to share jack

A CAT that detects when nursing home patients have just hours to live has accurately predicted up to 50 deaths.

Oscar curls up next to dying patients and scratches at their door if staff try to stop him from being near them.

He spends his days pacing from room to room at the nursing home where he lives and refuses to spend any time with the elderly residents unless they are close to death.

The unsociable cat, now five, was adopted as a kitten at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre in Providence, Rhode Island.

His unusual gift was first revealed in 2007, and staff at the home are now so confident of Oscar's ability that they alert family members if he shows an interest in a patient.

In one incident when nurses placed Oscar on the bed of one patient they thought was close to death, he ran out and went to another room.

His judgment proved right as the second patient died that evening while the other lived on for two more days.

Experts have now studied the records of the home's patients and found that Oscar is rarely wrong with his predictions.

Dr David Dosa, a geriatrician at Brown University, said: "It's not like he dawdles. He'll slip out for two minutes, grab some kibble and then he's back at the patient's side. It's like he's literally on a vigil."

In his book, "Making rounds with Oscar: the extraordinary gift of an ordinary cat", Dr Dosa offers no solid scientific explanation for the cat's behaviour.

But he suggests that — like dogs — Oscar is able to detect ketones, which are biochemicals given off by dying cells.

From : http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2835787/Oscar-the-cat-can-smell-death.html

#414892 - 03/06/10 11:06 AM Re: Oscar the cat can smell death [Re: LightAngel]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Oscar curls up next to dying patients and scratches at their door if staff try to stop him from being near them.

A misanthrope who is comforted in the knowledge that this world will soon have one less human on it? coopdevil

#414896 - 03/06/10 11:18 AM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: LightAngel]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey

I think a tiger would be a tricky pet to take for a walk:
A guide to walking tigers

#414901 - 03/06/10 12:55 PM Re: Did curiosity really kill the cat? [Re: Machismo]
Demetra Offline

Loc: FL
I first heard about Oscar and his uncanny (or shall I say "uncatty") abilities last year. I have a cat that obsesses with my husband, and sleeps by him everynight without fail. It has become a household joke that my husband's "time" may be fast approaching! wink

My excess of sin, is proof that I exist...Demetra

#415520 - 03/11/10 07:14 AM Re: Oscar the cat can smell death [Re: Machismo]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: RealityPrinciple

A misanthrope who is comforted in the knowledge that this world will soon have one less human on it? coopdevil

Or maybe the little cat is just hungry grin

On a serious note, I think it's a funny story.

#423059 - 06/04/10 07:25 AM Satanic Cat.... [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

I'm in a funny mood today, so I have to post this video because of my ''mad'' mood.

Prince Charming *Giggle* devilchili

Just enjoy or not, I have fun... lalala coopdevil

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Forum Stats
12115 Members
73 Forums
43871 Topics
405537 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements