Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38655 - 05/05/04 02:34 AM For prospective CoS members
Orodruin Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NJ, united Satanic america
I've noticed a few posts in recent months by non-members regarding joining the Church in which the tone suggests that the poster feels some rush or pressure to join, and they feel bad when something else takes money away from membership. So whether or not this is the case, I thought I would remind everyone of something from the Cos website:

Quote:

If you are an individual of limited financial resources who wishes to become a member, we suggest that you put the money aside piecemeal, and join when you have saved it up—we’ll still be here. We don’t expect people to put aside important things in their life in favor of joining our organization—Satanists abhor the idea of sacrifice.

"All along I've been looking for god, and here I am."
SG1

#38656 - 05/05/04 02:58 AM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: Orodruin]
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
I'll second that. It is most important to take care of your more pressing personal affairs first. It's a lifetime membership, and the CoS isn't going anywhere. No need to clue us all in on every detail of your personal budget. Most of us enjoy(?) variances in income at one time or other. A CoS membership is a luxury, not a necessity. Take care of the necessities first. Your membership fee shouldn't be your last $100/200, it should be an extra $100/200.

#38657 - 05/05/04 01:29 PM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: Orodruin]
Skyla Offline

CoS Member

I can't understand people who say they cannot join the CoS because they don't have the money to. I mean, I'm not rich, but even I had those 100 bucks aside if i wanted to become a member. You need money to be free, if you don't have the money to live free you wouldn't make a good satanist in my not very humble opinion. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be responsible for the member applications before the fee raises. I wonder if you've noticed any increase in the member-registration since you announced this? I'm pretty sure many people would like to join before it costs them twice the fee...

#38658 - 05/05/04 03:17 PM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: Orodruin]
Nyarlathotep Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I'd just like to add that if you want to do or get something bad enough, you'll always find a way. It's very easy to save $10-20 a week until you have the money for CoS Membership...either that or work a few extra hours.

It all adds up

"So now you'll see that evil will always triumph...because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

HAIL SATAN!!

#38659 - 05/05/04 04:46 PM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
That works for me! I mean,I could always save up and get my membership in a few weeks
but membership means more to me than that. To me it would be pretentious of me to join the COS when I have not yet accomplished my financial goals. Once I am at the point where an extra$200 is easy to come by (right now it is not ) then I will be ready.

At the same time, membership isn't the biggest priority to me. To me, joining is completely a symbolic gesture and should not be rushed. People who rush are probably in it for an identity crutch.

#38660 - 05/05/04 09:25 PM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: Orodruin]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
I have a feeling this is at least partly directed at me, because of my response to reprobate in the Books section a few days back.
I am well aware that there is no pressure or obligation to join, and I thought for a long time about whether or not it was worth my money. After spending my time on this forum, I came to the decision that it is definitely for me.
Any sense of pressure to join in my posts is self-imposed. I have been meaning to for quite a while, but until recently I was broke and unemployed. When you're broke and you can't find a job almost anywhere, then everything financial becomes a pressure.
But there is no need for excuses; when I have it, I will do it, and that's that. I must extend my gratitude towards the CoS for announcing the membership fee increase so far in advance.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#38661 - 05/05/04 11:05 PM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: SilverHammer]
Orodruin Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NJ, united Satanic america
Quote:

I have a feeling this is at least partly directed at me, because of my response to reprobate in the Books section a few days back.

You might have been on of the people that made me think of this, but I honestly can't remember who it was. I'm not trying to chastise anyone, just providing a gentle reminder lest anyone get caught up in a mad dash for a red card.

"All along I've been looking for god, and here I am."
SG1

#38662 - 05/06/04 10:40 AM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: Orodruin]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
I very much second the posting of this piece. I tried setting some money aside a while ago, and kept finding that I needed it for other things. And then it hit me: "For crying out loud, I'm a college student living at home with my parents. I'm in the phase of my life where any extra money I come by needs to be put towards my future. I need books, an apartment security deposit, and an outfit I can wear to an interview. When I get a place to live and have a real job, even a modest real job, I'll have the money to join and I'll be independent of people who may not approve of me joining anyway." And so I decided, then and there, that I'll celebrate my new job by putting some of my first paycheck towards CoS membership--and a nice meal at a restaurant. In the mean time, I've kept my bills under control, paid for expenses relating to an academic program in Spain, gotten my books, and purchased a nice suit jacket, pair of high-heeled shoes, work pants, and a nice skirt that go together. That, to me, is far more Satanic than not thinking about how things will be affected by buying certain luxuries too early. Besides, it's kind of a nice way of making it official that I've 'made it' (or at least 'am on my way').

--The Royal Me

#38663 - 05/07/04 07:21 PM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: J. Hagalaz]
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
People who rush are probably in it for an identity crutch.

THANK YOU!!!!

That really needed to be said.

"Usually when you ask somebody in college why they are there, they'll tell you it's to get an education. The truth of it is, they are there to get the degree so that they can get ahead in the rat race. Too many college radicals are two-timing punks."
- Abbie Hoffman

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?"
- Charles M Schulz

“One of the great things about young people is that they do question, that they do care deeply about justice, and they they have open minds.”
- Zack de la Rocha

#38664 - 05/08/04 10:12 AM Waiting can be very productive. [Re: Orodruin]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I personally haven't been able to join yet for a number of reasons, first I was waiting for my fiance' to turn 18 so we could join together... Then that fell apart, in the meanwhile I was injured at work and currently have no income do to my awaiting multiple major surgeries and a court date. For the longest time there was nothing I wanted more than to have that little crimson card and finally be a full-fledged member, not just some kid who in a quest to find something to believe in stumbled upon all of my beliefs already conveniently pre-printed in another man's book and at was after that inital read that I knew I had found the part of me that was missing.
In the meanwhile of waiting to be able to afford membership I have had alot of time to spend thinking, writing, and reading; all the while expanding my knowledge of ideas, the world and most importantly myself. I realize now that if I had joined 3 years ago when I wanted to I would have boxed myself into a personality that wouldn't fit for very long, but I have since discovered this tremendous sense of independance by being able to have a deep and rewarding set of beliefs and ideas and needing no one but myself for guidance and direction. I have been able to learn so much more about myself and I've improved myself in ways that would have never been possible without my needing this independance to survive. I believe that the CoS is a great organization and I am looking forward to being able to send out that application but for now I'm going to wait on it. I can afford it, even with the price raise (it's about time they raised it) but I feel that for the time being it would be more in my favor to buy the last LaVey book I don't own and stock up on other things I've been needing. The CoS will be there until Armagedon or I die, either way I won't be here when it goes so I don't need to worry too much about not being a member. Although I've begun to feel a bit of a disdain for members who seem to need the Grotto meetings to be able to function as a Satanist at least in terms of idenity. I just know that with how much I've been able to evolve as a person, by the time I finally decide to join I won't just be dead wieght, I'll be able to join my place at the ranks of the Alien Elite's elite. But in the meanwhile there's still so much of this life left to take in, maybe it's just me but sometimes the most Satanic thing you can ever do is just sit down outside and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds us gaining power from the simple essence of being alive and loving every minute of it.
DatheR

#38665 - 05/09/04 03:10 AM Re: Waiting can be very productive.
YoungSoulRebel Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Umm... wow. That was moving.

"Usually when you ask somebody in college why they are there, they'll tell you it's to get an education. The truth of it is, they are there to get the degree so that they can get ahead in the rat race. Too many college radicals are two-timing punks."
- Abbie Hoffman

"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?"
- Charles M Schulz

“One of the great things about young people is that they do question, that they do care deeply about justice, and they they have open minds.”
- Zack de la Rocha

#38666 - 05/13/04 08:05 PM Re: For prospective CoS members [Re: YoungSoulRebel]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Indeed it did. When the need to join in order to feel more comfortable in a crowd becomes the priority, one must seriously question the motives of the parties involved. One of the Satanic sins is to avoid herd conformity...

To move the discussion along a bit however, I was recently talking about this to Helnock (Satanism UK). He raised what I feel was a very important point, and that was value for money. It has been loosely touched on within the confines of this topic, but the surface has barely been scratched. LaVey once commented that joining the CoS was about as expensive as buying a pair of shoes. But what is better value for cash - nice shoes or a red card? Obviously the shoes, but this is perhaps part of the problem...

There would appear to be massive misgivings about what membership in the CoS actually entails. Helnock said that if you get your membership card, laminate it and read the information pack looking for "Satanic Secrets" you'll be sorely disappointed. Unfortunately, this would appear to be what most people think. If on the other hand, your'e willing to make your membership work for you, and you have the talent, then it will feel like the best $100 you ever spent.

In short, responsibility to the responsible. Those who are in it for the right reasons will benefit. Those looking for the personality crutch will stagnate. I reckon Anton designed the CoS with EXACTLY that in mind.

#38667 - 05/13/04 08:10 PM The Red Card.
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I have used mine (after it was laminated) to get through my locked door when I did not have a key.

Calling a locksmith would have cost over $50.

You get what you pay for.

Sometime you get even more.

#38668 - 05/13/04 08:20 PM Re: The Red Card. [Re: Nemo]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heh, but it wasn't just the card - you forgot two other things.

Imagination and ingenuity. That CAN'T be bought!

#38669 - 05/13/04 08:31 PM "not just the card"
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Did you ever read the fine print on the back????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405808 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements