Topic Options
#389479 - 07/29/09 01:23 PM A question about indulgence/compulsion
Tapio Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
OK. So here I am, this new guy whoīs trying to understand Satanism on a deeper level. Iīm reading "The Satanic Bible" as we speak. I actually would have been done already hadnīt it been for my parenthood which tends to need my watching eye at times.

Itīs a great book though and I really feel a big part of me mirrored in the statements that lie in it and Iīm growing more and more interested in Satanism. But hereīs a question that Iīve been obsessing with since last night and itīs about the use of tobacco:

I donīt think thereīs anyone out there who can deny how nicotine-based products lead to a compulsatory behavior do to its addiciting formula.

But as many people, we all start using tobacco because we A; Do it due to peer-pressure or B; We like the taste or high, if you will, and therefore indulge ourselves in it. Either way, soon enough youīll be hooked on it and if you do not "kick it" youe usage will become compulsive but you can still use it since you at the using point call it indulging. Right?

Now, I love tobacco and its different tastes, flavors and forms it comes in. I love a great cigar at night and I do not smoke cigarettes anymore but still treat myself to one or two at times. Plus Iīm an avid user of what we in Sweden call "Snus", "snuff" I believe is its name in english-speaking countries.

My question is not whether I should stop. Thatīs my own decision and I can see how I can defend it out of a satanic point of view. But I still wonder how You should/could approach this question and if anyone has noted this duality before me and how has a analysis been reached?

#389506 - 07/29/09 03:52 PM Re: A question about indulgence/compulsion [Re: Tapio]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

As long as the substance is legal the decision rests with you. The COS does not have an official stance on what legal activities you should or should not engage in. If you seek personal opinions, instead of official pronouncements, then you may want to post this in the General Satanism Discussions section.

As to the unauthorized people who responded here, who's posts have since been deleted by a Moderator, this is stated quite clearly at the forum heading:

Questions related to the Church of Satan (membership, website, officials, etc) - Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here. All other replies will be deleted.

What part of this rule is so difficult to understand?

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#389776 - 07/30/09 11:48 PM Re: A question about indulgence/compulsion [Re: Tapio]
d357r0y Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I'm rather curious how many people here who are getting on some high horse about quote unquote drugs have actually indulged in any of them. I understand that I am kicking the shit out of that same dead "high" horse and am not supposed to post here, but the rules evidently don't apply to me.

Edited by Ygraine (07/31/09 06:53 AM)

#389803 - 07/31/09 04:15 AM Re: A question about indulgence/compulsion [Re: Tapio]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:
But I still wonder how You should/could approach this question and if anyone has noted this duality before me and how has a analysis been reached?

I've seen the smoking question come up from time to time. The COS has no official stance on tobacco use, because ultimately it should be left up to the individual. However, that also means that the individual should take full responsibility for any health consequences that might stem from tobacco use.

A good Satanic rule of thumb here is still "indulgence vs. compulsion". I've known some smokers who barely even go through a pack of cigarettes in two months, and others who miserably and compulsively go through 2 packs a day. As for myself, I'll have maybe a cigar every other year, on my birthday. Though in my opinion, cigarettes or other regular smoking seems like a needlessly expensive and risky hobby to take up.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#389812 - 07/31/09 06:47 AM Re: A question about indulgence/compulsion [Re: d357r0y]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Quote:
As to the unauthorized people who responded here, who's posts have since been deleted by a Moderator, this is stated quite clearly at the forum heading:

Questions related to the Church of Satan (membership, website, officials, etc) - Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here. All other replies will be deleted.

I wanna tattoo that one to a bunch of heads, backwards, so they can see it in the mirror.

Quote:
I'm rather curious...........Silly shit like drugs and alcohol only gets better if you experience plenty of life FIRST

I am curious as to why allegedly intelligent Satanists can't figure out to shut up about their personal feelings which go against Church dogma in a public forum!

I wish I had a taser long enough to make an impression by 3000 miles or so!

So....
CoS members who want to drug up, well, we can't stop you and if it genuinely isn't a compulsion we probably won't even know about it if you weren't a complete idiot demanding us to endorse your illegal behavior in public. 'go fuckin' figure.

Y~

Edited by Ygraine (07/31/09 06:49 AM)

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

Forum Stats
12195 Members
73 Forums
43973 Topics
405996 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements