Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#390130 - 08/03/09 12:31 AM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: TheDegenerate]
Empathy Offline

Loc: Houston
The reason that spies try to blend in with the locals, is because people are inclined to trust individuals who look like them and speak the same language. It will be more difficult to accomplish your goals if you stand out based upon your appearance, rather than your ideas.

In Texas at least, I have met a lot of "Good old boys" who were surprisingly receptive to my particular outlook on life, simply because they thought I was one of them. Take from that what you will.

I'm the guy who is normally dressed appropriately for whatever situation I am in. The people who know me and work with me know that I am individual because of my thoughts and beliefs, not because of how I dress.

#390135 - 08/03/09 01:54 AM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: Spektakel]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

This reminds me of something I've heard Yngwie Malmsteen talk about.

I found it. Here it is.

#390148 - 08/03/09 05:53 AM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: TheDegenerate]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Phosis

I can't stand the way most people dress. Often when they are trying to look fashionable, they look clownish, and people who purposely try to dress up have no idea what size of suit they should wear, what colors, etc.

I’m a bit envious. In my neck of the woods, no one even attempts to look fashionable (though I normally think of suits as being a more “timeless” fashion, as opposed to a “trendy” one). I honestly wish that more people around here tried to wear suits, since even a bad suit would be a welcome departure from the seemingly endless stream of tee shirts and jeans.

I admit that I’m somewhat biased though. I literally have not put on a pair of jeans since before the age of ten (for some reason, I’ve just never liked them and always found slacks to be more comfortable).

#390151 - 08/03/09 07:06 AM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Sideshowtuper
I've always just kind of taken it for granted, because it’s just what comes natural to me.

Gosh, I can relate to that! It's so weird to see oneself through other people's eyes. People have described me in ways that made me wonder who the hell they were talking about.

Being more of an observer than a participant, I have a tendency to look at other people like they're in a snow globe. It rarely occurs to me that they're actually looking back. It's gotten so bad that, at times, I literally watch their mouths move and don't hear a word they're saying while I'm having this nice inner chat with myself.

I don't have a real keen awareness of what other people think of me, their opinions aren't something I automatically consider and sometimes that makes me stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not saying this to brag. I don't think it's a good idea to be obsessed with other people but, taken to an extreme, total disregard can be detrimental.

Camouflage is a good thing, knowing how to blend in and be all stealth-ninja in a crowd is a valuable tool. People will always have an instinctual unease around anything unfamiliar; they will view any kind of abnormality with a degree of suspicion. There are plenty of ways to use that fact to one's advantage though.

Quote:
Ogdensburg's local oddball Sideshow Tuper.

cool
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#390159 - 08/03/09 09:37 AM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: HellofallHells]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
Originally Posted By: HellofallHells
This reminds me of something I've heard Yngwie Malmsteen talk about.

I found it. Here it is.

Off topic a bit but...
Dang! Scooby-doo only once a year? Sweden really does suck!
I think Yngwie is right. America can be great if you know how to play the game.

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#390214 - 08/03/09 04:05 PM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: Diwanna]
Alleycat Devil Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
Just to add my two cents;
Tomorrow I'm heading out to replace the majority of my wardrobe. This is due to most of what I own being worn nearly to threads, Or in other cases does not meet what I consider to be a "professional" looking standard of dress, or things that no longer fit properly.

I have learned ages ago the cut and shape of a mans clothing makes the innital visual impression which is then flavored by the color and visual texture of the clothing.

I do tend to favor the cut and style of the corporate uniform becuase I find it acts as a magnifyer to certain aspects of my personality, However my gratuitious use of black and dark shades that compliment black properly, as well as spots of leather tend to both make me blend into most places, but at the same time hold me slightly aloft and seprarate from the masses around me. Hell, somtimes I'll mix a little of something subcultural into it to put a very subtle twist into the innital impression or tailor it to my intended environment.

Now with this in mind, the majority of people who have a decidedly negative response to style of dress, do so because I seem to be up to no good. Rather than purly becuase I dress slightly "sharper".

#390244 - 08/03/09 07:22 PM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: Alleycat Devil]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
Regardless of how you decide to dress, or what image you decide to show to the masses basic self defense should be BASIC to anyone. However, to a Satanist, self defense should be studied and trained to a degree where it is anything but basic.

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#390249 - 08/03/09 07:58 PM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: HGaunt]
Empathy Offline

Loc: Houston
Originally Posted By: Lu_Safyr
Regardless of how you decide to dress, or what image you decide to show to the masses basic self defense should be BASIC to anyone. However, to a Satanist, self defense should be studied and trained to a degree where it is anything but basic.

That's why we have concealed handgun licenses in Texas, to make sure people stay polite.

#390251 - 08/03/09 08:20 PM Re: Attack of the herd people [Re: HGaunt]
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
Originally Posted By: Lu_Safyr

It's just as important to know how to deal with conflicts before they get violent. Trust me, it's not fun to get into a fight. It hurts to get hit. At all costs you want to avoid a fight.

So, take a course in conflict management along with your self-defence classes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406348 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements