Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#390206 - 08/03/09 02:49 PM Solipsism?
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
For three months, I have been proudly and openly wearing the Baphomet medallion that I ordered from the CoS Emporium. Yesterday – I went into a local convenience store to purchase some items, and had the following exchange of dialog:

Clerk: “What’s that symbol on your necklace stand for?”
Me: “It is the symbol of those who follow the philosophy laid down by Anton Szandor Lavey.”
Clerk: “And he would be?”
Me: “The founder of the Church of Satan.”
Clerk: (shakes her head and looks away)
Me: (gather my goods - walk towards the door - while exiting the building I hear)
Clerk: “God bless you.”
Me: (grin and walk away)

Hmmm… God bless me for being a Satanist. I love it.

This is the first time that anyone has questioned me about it. I have been wondering how I would respond if someone questioned me about my medallion, and had already planned what I would say. I never thought I would receive the response that I did. Hilarious!

The experience did make me wonder though – if openly displaying the Church of Satan Baphomet could be considered a form of solipsism? Obviously – there are many who are far less attuned than us, and perhaps they aren’t ready or willing to be exposed to our way of life.

On the other hand, I feel that I have just as much right to openly live as a Satanist as anyone else has the right to openly live as Raelian, Branch Davidian, Rastafarian, “Jehovah Wiccan”, or whatever else they want to be. I’m not trying to “win souls to The Devil” by displaying the Sigil of Baphomet. My intent is to wear the symbol of my beliefs, and when questioned about it – attempt to dispel misinformation about Satanism to those who are willing to hear.

Not everyone chooses to make their beliefs public, but I am curious how those who choose to openly live as Satanists handle the initial questions? Perhaps I should respond to those who ask about my medallion, “If you don’t already know, you probably aren’t ready to hear it, and if you’re curious, you can look it up.”

Input and thoughts are appreciated.

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#390207 - 08/03/09 03:08 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Many years ago, before my frontal lobe finished developing, I had a tattoo of a Baphomet on my forearm. I actually had it put there for rather juvenile reasons, and it was before I ever read The Satanic Bible.

Once I finally read it I felt kind of silly having this tattoo because of the negative reaction I got when I would explain to enquiring minds its meaning. I eventually discovered that the best and perhaps most amusing reactions I got was when someone would ask me what it meant, and I would simply smile and say "it's a secret", then I'd wink and walk away.

I recently had it removed with laser treatment, and I get much more positive reactions from people now.

Edited by JEHJr (08/03/09 03:09 PM)

#390211 - 08/03/09 03:40 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Quote:
The experience did make me wonder though – if openly displaying the Church of Satan Baphomet could be considered a form of solipsism?

It's one thing to display pride in your religion, but quite another to expect others to accept your decision to do so.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#390216 - 08/03/09 04:15 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I wear a Baphomet, but I do so *under* my clothes.

As a teenager, I wore it out, and while I never received any strongly negative reactions, I did receive a few just-plain annoying ones, mostly in the form of really stupid questions (e.g., "Are you Jewish?" "Are you Wiccan?")

At this point, I just think it's better to be safe than sorry. Besides, it's much more entertaining (at least for me) to actually make people work a little harder to figure you out wink .

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#390217 - 08/03/09 04:43 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: TrojZyr]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
As I see it, the best reason to wear a Baphomet pin or necklace isn't to inspire questions, it isn't to repel or offend the people who will object to seeing it, but to attract those who you might not otherwise know you were looking for.

#390220 - 08/03/09 05:11 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Delta]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Well said Delta.

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#390222 - 08/03/09 05:27 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Thanks, and my apologies for putting that on a quick response to TrojZyr, it was more of a general musing directed at whoever might care to read it.

#390224 - 08/03/09 05:57 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Delta]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
You are quite right, Delta---and, when I seriously think I might "get a bite," I might bring out my Baphomet and "go fishing." I tend to do this more in environments where strange, random, and occultic symbols are already legion, and are generally being invoked in ignorance and playfulness.

But, even then, it's very likely you'll have to sift through some wannabes and weirdos to find any gold, so you have to be in a ready, willing, and lighthearted mood.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#390231 - 08/03/09 06:24 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Delta]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Delta
As I see it, the best reason to wear a Baphomet pin or necklace isn't to inspire questions, it isn't to repel or offend the people who will object to seeing it, but to attract those who you might not otherwise know you were looking for.

I will admit that I have actually thought about what my reaction would be if I were to run into someone who wore a Baphomet...or who allowed the Red Card to fall out of their wallet. Would I introduce myself as a Citizen?

As odd as this may sound, the answer is probably no. Though I may appear somewhat friendly and sociable, the truth is, I am picky about who I relate to, beyond a surface level. The qualities I look for may or may not be found in an individual Satanist. Nor does being a Satanist...genuine or questionable guarantee that I would want anything to do with that person.

For me, wearing a Baphomet in a way that conspicuous would bring unwanted attention from someone who thought that it would automatically mean we could be buds.

As with everything else...this is simply MY way of doing things. To each their own...individuality...and all that stuff.

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (08/03/09 06:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Individuality in all save spelling and grammar.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#390236 - 08/03/09 06:45 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

In addition to Roho's excellent response I'd say that there are much easier and more productive ways to go about who is a Satanist. As far as I have heard the Church of Satan has a CABAL and occasionally allows specific members to network with one another.

#390240 - 08/03/09 07:10 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: Nibas
The experience did make me wonder though – if openly displaying the Church of Satan Baphomet could be considered a form of solipsism?

In North Carolina? I would consider it a form of suicide.

#390241 - 08/03/09 07:11 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Unknown]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I myself am both open and closed. I have tattoos that are unquestionably Satanic in nature, and I have a few pieces of Baphomet jewelry and clothing. However, I do not expose my tattoos or don the clothing unless I am in ritual or going to a place where I know it will not be an issue. I am not a "closet" Satanist, but I let people make their own assumptions and attempt to occasionally make their assumptions for them. If one of my tattoos or a piece of jewelry were to be exposed around someone that I don't think would "get it" then I would simply LIE about its meaning. Lesser Magic is the key when debating on flaunting your religion or not.

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#390245 - 08/03/09 07:25 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
zodiac Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Virginia
As I see it, I am not sure this is a question of solipsism but a question of common sense. As so many others have eloquently stated wearing a Baphomet in public can cause unwanted attention. I certainly understand the desire to take pride in one’s religion but I guess the question is at what price? Unfortunately, there are those that will most certainly discriminate against you in one form or another. Wear your pride internally you know you are a Satanist and the rest of the world need not be privy to that unless you want them to. Giving them that knowledge in certain situations can give them power over you which is never a good thing.

Nature does nothing uselessly.
Aristotle

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,then is not an act,but a habit.
Aristotle

#390266 - 08/03/09 09:23 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Quote:

As Zodiac mentioned, I don't think it's really a matter of solipsism either (unless you're expecting to be treated with respect and courtesy, when in reality the herd will likely not give you that once they know what the symbol means).

Quote:
On the other hand, I feel that I have just as much right to openly live as a Satanist as anyone else has the right to openly live as Raelian, Branch Davidian, Rastafarian, “Jehovah Wiccan”, or whatever else they want to be.

'Rights' are empty assumptions that sometimes don't garauntee anything in reality. E.g. it's your 'right' to walk out in public without being attacked, but that won't give you a garauntee that it will never happen, so learn to defend yourself. No matter what your 'rights' are, if you see things as they really are you won't end up disappointed when reality comes knocking.

Quote:
I’m not trying to “win souls to The Devil” by displaying the Sigil of Baphomet. My intent is to wear the symbol of my beliefs, and when questioned about it – attempt to dispel misinformation about Satanism to those who are willing to hear.

If you're wearing it openly your intent would seem to be to attract attention to it. As long as you genuinely want this (likely negative) attention, it's fine to pursue it. Realise though that displaying it publically can often work against you. If however you're using it for your Lesser magic to enhance your chosen image it can make your influence more potent. It guess the bottom line is just to be honest with yourself in what you're really trying to achieve, and see if your actions back it up.

When one first reads the Satanic Bible it can fill you with such pride, you may feel like shouting it from rooftops (at first). But truly being a Satanist is to get on with it and live as one, and shouting it from rooftops may cause people to throw things at you wink

Quote:
Not everyone chooses to make their beliefs public, but I am curious how those who choose to openly live as Satanists handle the initial questions? Perhaps I should respond to those who ask about my medallion, “If you don’t already know, you probably aren’t ready to hear it, and if you’re curious, you can look it up.”

I rarely wear mine publically, but when asked my response varies depending on who's asking and what mood I'm in. If they're genuinely interested and I feel like talking I might tell them the truth. If they're frightened sheep I'll probably lie because I generally don't want anything more to do with them.

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#390268 - 08/03/09 09:28 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: HereticPrincess2]
zodiac Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
My dad and step mom constantly ask me what the Baphomet is and I just don't tell them. I don't assume them to be "just curious" about them....if I were to tell, they'd probably be physically ripped off of my neck.

I certainly mean no disrespect but that seems somewhat reckless but to each their own.
wink

Nature does nothing uselessly.
Aristotle

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,then is not an act,but a habit.
Aristotle

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43875 Topics
405557 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements