Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#390773 - 08/06/09 06:55 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: HereticPrincess2]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
Originally Posted By: HereticPrincess2

I don't wear it out in the open to get a rise out of people or anything.

I also wear another necklace which can be found here: http://www.azuregreen.com/jewelry/amulets-and-talismans/confuse-defeat-enemy-amulet/aconene.html It is just plain silver though, no blue in it.

Both were given to me by my fiance.

I'm curious, why do you wear it out in the open then?
What does your fiance think you need protection from?
What does the combination of Brimstone and Eihwaz runes have to do with protecting you from harm?

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#390803 - 08/07/09 12:00 AM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Nibas
Originally Posted By: Amberpocalypse
We have the right to wear our "religious" decor, as much as the next christian, wiccan, or Jew, to echo someone else's sentiment.

Agreed – and my point exactly. Thank you very much for your response and input.

Again, remember even though you do have the same 'right' to display your religion publically, realistically you will often NOT be treated with the same respect or courtesy as someone openly displaying a more common religion.

Yes you have the same 'rights', but they don't exactly count for much. Your 'rights' won't stop angry christians from e.g. vandalising your car to 'teach you a lesson'. To unrealistically expect a respect and courtesy that you specifically will probably not receive (because of displaying the Baphomet openly) would make you guilty of solipsism.

I'm not saying that you're expecting respect, but expecting to be treated with the same consideration (to publically display your religion without objection/interference) as the next public christian, jew or wiccan -simply because of your 'rights'- is about the same thing.

In a nutshell, as opposed to the common chrisitan wearing their cross openly (and still often being treated with respect), wearing the Baphomet publically can contrastingly be 'asking for it'. Many members here have stated that they have gotten by wearing it openly with no problems at all, and I'm not trying to make it out to be some huge risk, but realistically understanding and acknowledging how you effect people with your appearance is pretty important.

Originally Posted By: Bruja
Originally Posted By: Blackspring
I wear my Baphomet under my shirt every day and remove it each evening before bed. After I've showered in the morning, I put it back on. While I'm doing this mini ritual I set myself goals for the day and visualise how I will achieve them.

That's great. I do something similar, and find that those sort of "mini rituals" that I do on a daily basis energize me and put me in the mindset to be focused and productive.

What a great idea. I don't wear mine enough, I might try this coopdevil

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#390818 - 08/07/09 01:16 AM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Babydoll]
Amberpocalypse Offline

Loc: Arizona
VERY good point, Babydoll!! Thanks for the gentle reminder! smile

#390861 - 08/07/09 01:46 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

My girlfriend wrote this as an entry for her writing class project. I thought it may shed a little bit of light on the subject. This is posted with her permission.

The original purpose of my final project was to be able to openly state my opinions on anything I have been holding deep within me over the past several years due to a fear of scrutiny. I instead was able to bring forth emotions and interests that are both obvious and secretive since my 8th grade year, the most influential year of my life. I focus heavily in this year because without the events and emotions that took place, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. If I wasn’t insulted, bullied and ignored that year, I wouldn’t have grown stronger from such pain. It influenced my music, movies, artwork, personal education, socialization, and thoughts on life. Many people don’t know that my final year of grade school had such an impact on me or even that it bothered me knowing that I didn’t even exactly fit in with my friends in high school. A bigger topic- religion- is also focused on a lot as well. Though my religious preferences are not necessarily tied in with what has happened to me in school, I bring it up, because Satanism is not accepted very highly among the acquaintances I know. It is extremely misunderstood by millions so I find it best for my way of life to fly under the radar; I at least know that I am safe for the time being.
Now all of this is written in a journal composing of “Dear Diary” entries, poems, song lyrics, and lists. The entries are where I tell my stories while the poems and song lyrics relate to what I say in the entries previously. Most of the poems I have written during the times the mentioned emotions were felt or interests were most prominent. Besides my first song lyric, there is no specific order as to when the music was introduced into society, but they are all songs I enjoy and remind me of the events they follow. I find that this diary format was the best possible way of getting my information together. Most diaries are not meant to read. That is the way I have kept many of my thoughts and emotions since that fateful grade school year. When reading a diary, one knows that the information is the writer’s private thoughts. It gives the reader a sense of rebelliousness knowing that one shouldn’t know what is there. I am writing all of this as if I am never going to reveal any of it so I do not have to fear being scrutinized.
This relates to others by means of how it is presented as well as subject matter. Countless girls have owned diaries in which they have spilled hundreds of secrets, and everyone has at least something they wish for no one to know. They are confused about thinking a certain way, believing something they were not raised to believe, why they have a crush on someone but mustn’t reveal it, etc. People keep these things locked away in these diaries, poems, and songs, possibly for a very long time. At some point one will find out that someone else is out there thinking exactly the way they are, but would have never known if their secrets weren’t revealed to the other.
For the research I did, I had a brief interview with my mother to know what she did to see if she could help me when I was going through the worst of it in grade school. I also went through what poetry I have done (which is over 50 poems) to find the best ones that fit the mood of each entry. I have listened to the songs I know have influenced me and chose the ones that also have tied in with the passages the most. For the information about Satanism, I comprised an overview of information from the Satanic Bible as well as the lists of “sins”, rules, and statements from www.churchofsatan.com. It is a very helpful site for those still early in understanding all of its teachings.

#390864 - 08/07/09 02:30 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Unknown]
HereticPrincess2 Offline

Loc: Des Plaines, IL
That was very nice, thanks for sharing!
HS!
HP

#390896 - 08/07/09 09:37 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Babydoll]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Very well expressed! Thank you!

On "rights", I am always amused to think of the Miranda Warning in which the golden but so often ignored words are given:

"You have the right to remain silent."

It is a wise option but so seldom taken.

#390922 - 08/08/09 01:58 AM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Nemo]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Or, as Magus Gilmore says: "Sometimes you have to tuck the Baphomet in your shirt".

Reality. What a concept.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#390926 - 08/08/09 03:49 AM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Phineas]
Zaranell Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I do not own a Sigil, but I do prominently wear a silver Pentagram with a black background I made in jewelry class. It does not display the goat head, nor the Hebrew writings, as I am not that skilled. It's by no means the same thing as a Sigil, but it is very similar, and was designed with the purpose of resembling it.

To date, only one person has ever seen it and immediately asked if I was a Satanist, to which I replied in the affirmative. I did not receive some lecture; he was quite understanding in the matter. Everyone else, including my parents, has either mistaken it for something else (most likely a "heavy metal kitsch," as mentioned earlier) or have not commented on it at all.

Beyond that, I do not display my choice of religion. If inquired, I will gladly explain my "faith" (or lack thereof, as it is) to whomever is genuinely interested. I also live in Arizona, like Amberpocalypse. I suppose this state isn't as evangelical as the South, since I very rarely get any strange looks or reactions.

Granted, this could possibly change if/when I order a professionally made Sigil from the Emporium. But, I also do not fear negative reaction. The only people I would want to talk to are the ones who already understand me anyway. I had not intended to hide it under my shirt under any circumstance, to be honest, but I can see from the responses here that such a choice could be quite unwise. Alas, I am only an 18 year old - I still have much to learn about quite a lot of things.

Edited by Zaranell (08/08/09 03:51 AM)

#390934 - 08/08/09 07:19 AM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Amberpocalypse]
Babydoll Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Amberpocalypse
VERY good point, Babydoll!! Thanks for the gentle reminder! smile

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Very well expressed! Thank you!

Cheers cool

Originally Posted By: Nemo
"You have the right to remain silent."

It is a wise option but so seldom taken.

Would that be because there are so few wise? Or because the wise are often not in such a position? laugh

One LIFE - One chance

Who are We?

#390962 - 08/08/09 01:31 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zsche]
Richard Cerno Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Silicon Valley, CA USA
I carry the small red Baphomet medallion that I was given upon joining the CoS with me in my pocket. It's inside a guitar pick case that attaches to my key ring. I carry it with me for my own edification, but don't feel the need to display it for anyone.

I wear a suit most days, and while I work within circles populated by de facto Satanists (naturally inclined to behave according to the Good Docktor's philosophies), I know of no de jurie Satanists (self aware CoS members), other than myself. I believe one expresses who one is by one's actions, not necessarily by one's ornamentation, but to each his own.
http://www.boardroominblack.com

#390971 - 08/08/09 03:10 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Richard Cerno]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Ornamentation IS an action of expressing who one is...

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#390974 - 08/08/09 05:15 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Zaranell]
SHIGALYOV Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Antarctica
The Pentagram is a sigil.

HS!

E.

#390976 - 08/08/09 05:18 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: SHIGALYOV]
SHIGALYOV Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Antarctica
In fact even the letters I type now are sigils.

E.

#391035 - 08/09/09 11:06 AM Re: Solipsism? [Re: SHIGALYOV]
Empathy Offline

Loc: Houston
People are more receptive to your ideas and beliefs if they think you are one of them. You will find that you can make a self-declared evangelical christian conform to a Satanist's philosophy, as long as they are not aware of where the philosophy comes from. People attach a great deal of importance to labels, and I personally have found life to be easier when I present myself as the 'regular guy'. Presenting yourself as the adversary sounds great when written in a book, but you have little to gain from it by practicing it out in the real world. If you put people on the defensive with your attire or attitude, you have to work twice as hard to change their misguided opinions. I like to teach people, and some people do not, so this is just my personal outlook on this issue.

Regarding the question of solipsism. People are real, and so are their opinions. You don't have to agree with them, but you do have to recognize the threat they represent. There are people out there who are honestly crazy enough to do something to you, simply because you reject their faith. It is not just, it is not right, and it is not reasonable, but it is real.

#391074 - 08/09/09 05:51 PM Re: Solipsism? [Re: Empathy]
Lust Offline

"People are more receptive to your ideas and beliefs if they think you are one of them."

I have gained more respect by being (for the most part) honest with everyday people (those I interact with over the course of a day). People tend to enjoy drama and when they discover something occult about someone they just drag it on. The Nine Satanic Statements are something I see in everyday events. Especially the Ninth.

"Presenting yourself as the adversary sounds great when written in a book, but you have little to gain from it by practicing it out in the real world."

Au Contraire (I like saying that)

Take for example - Anton Szandor LaVey. Look at all that he gained after he declared 1966 the year One.

Marilyn Manson also comes to mind as someone who has presented him self as an adversary and has gained much for it.

Just two examples of many real world success stories by way of adversarial techniques.

"If you put people on the defensive with your attire or attitude, you have to work twice as hard to change their misguided opinions."

Here is where Lesser Magic is key.

"Regarding the question of solipsism. People are real, and so are their opinions. You don't have to agree with them, but you do have to recognize the threat they represent. There are people out there who are honestly crazy enough to do something to you, simply because you reject their faith. It is not just, it is not right, and it is not reasonable, but it is real."

Lack of Perspective can also be painful for a Satanist, and is included in The Nine Satanic Sins.

"Do what you want as long as it's paying off for you. But once it's become a liability, then something is wrong and you better find out what it is." - Anton Szandor LaVey

The above quote by Doktor LaVey sums it up nicely.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12202 Members
73 Forums
43989 Topics
406081 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements