Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#39041 - 05/07/04 07:57 PM Re: Creation or Evolution?
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
OK! OK! It was me! I did it. I created everything! I know I should have told you guys like,10,000 years ago, but I didn't want to get nailed to a cross like that deluded Jesus guy who I, well, framed..........

sorry.

#39042 - 05/07/04 08:39 PM Re: Creation or Evolution?
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>In accordance to the Christian faith, the world was
>created by a supreme deity, in which the first man was
>created from dust, and the woman hereafter.

It's not very accurate to say that this is all "in accordance to the Christian faith". First of all, this same Genesis story is also found in the scriptures of Jews and Muslims. Second, and more importantly, the only Christians who believe this are those who take a LITERAL interpretation of the first book of Genesis. As somebody else pointed out, some Christian denominations such as Catholicism are NOT fundamentalists when it comes to the Bible, and furthermore see no conflict between evolution and belief in a creator.

>As we are currently studying Geology and Evolution in
>science class, I have been fairly introduced to a myriad
>of theories involving Man's journey,

You have to be careful with the word "theory", because it means different things in different contexts. "Music Theory" is the formal analysis and classification of what makes up music and how these parts relate to each other. In general english use, "theory" means a guess, a hunch. In science, that's called a hypothesis. Scientific theories are models based on observation that hold up to evidence and the scientific method.

I mention this because in the ever tiresome evoltion/creationist debate, the creationists always try using the fallacious argument that evolution is "just a theory". Well, gravity is "just a theory" too.

Anyway, sorry if all the above was stuff you already knew. This is just one of those topics I like so much that I tend to ramble on about it! So to get to your question:

>I am curious as to see a Satanist's point of view on this
>matter.

The Church of Satan does not have an official stance on this debate. The question of "how we got here" simply isn't part of our doctrines. Since Satanism is a non-theistic religion, we find the question to be ultimately irrelevant. Though one of the core beliefs of Satanism is that man is indeed an animal, and most Satanists feel that science lends more credibility to that observation.

As a Satanist, one thing that I will say about creationism vs. evolution is that the debate is ultimately not one of science, but politics. The debate is entirely pushed by creationists, 99.9% of whom are Christian fundamentalists. This should make Satanists particularly skeptical. And the debate is largely only happening in the US, a country with a disproportionate amount of religious people. Contrary to what creationists say, there is no debate in the scientific community that evolution did and does occur. There are different views on the detailed mechanics of evolution, but no credible scientist says that evolution is non-existent.

>However, just to remind and not reprimand, science is
>defined as a set of hypothetical and educated theories
>through observations, and although seemingly a very
>rational asset to human knowledge, does not promise
>accuracy.

Good point! Science doesn't claim to have 100% truth on a particular matter, since there's always a way of imagining some hypothetical alternative explaination. However, evolution still offers the best explanation so far. Creationism is not a science, because it starts out with a conclusion, and then desparately tries to find and change data to back it up.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#39043 - 05/07/04 08:44 PM Re: Creation or Evolution? [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>OK! OK! It was me! I did it. I created everything!

Well, that settles it! Just one question: why did you put all the marsupials in Australia?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#39044 - 05/07/04 09:10 PM Re: Creation or Evolution? [Re: Bill_M]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
....I was expecting you to ask why I put the anus so close to the genitals.

#39045 - 05/08/04 11:16 PM Re: Creation or Evolution?
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Quote:

then what does one believe about the origins of Man?

THis "one" was not around at the beginning of man, and will (hopefully) not be around at the end of man, so all I can say is...

Who cares? We're here NOW, aren't we? Let's enjoy it!
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406132 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements