Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#391097 - 08/10/09 02:02 AM Questions on basic COS membership.
mb_goatis Offline

Loc: Dallas area, TX
Hello,

I have been a practicing Satanist for many years now. I finally have internet access and I feel that becoming an official member is a step in the right direction for me.

I do have a few basic questions that I could not find the answers to on the Church of Satan website or using the LTTD search function.

1. I read that the active membership can take about a year to get a reply from. Is this the same situation with basic membership? If not, how long (usually) is the waiting period for reciving your crimson card.

2. With becoming a member of The Church of Satan, I know you will revieve a personal card stating your membership and you can be put on an e-bulliten list. I have also heard rumors that it comes with a grey/silver baphomet medallion, or is this just the active membership (or neither) .Is there anything else I can expect when becoming a member?

3. What is the policy on lost/stolen/damaged membership cards?

Thank you for your time and help.

Also, I understand if some of the information I have asked is not allowed to be answered. If not, there is only one way to find out for sure! coopdevil

Edited by mb_goatis (08/10/09 02:04 AM)

#391098 - 08/10/09 02:06 AM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: mb_goatis]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
1. No, your basic membership will arrive long before that (usually up to about 16 weeks).

2. You'll have to wait and see.

3. If you lose your card simply contact Central office and they will send you a new one. You don't have to pay for membership again.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#391099 - 08/10/09 02:09 AM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
mb_goatis Offline

Loc: Dallas area, TX
Thank you so much for the timely response! I greatly appreciate it!

Edited by mb_goatis (08/10/09 02:09 AM)

#409368 - 01/19/10 01:17 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: mb_goatis]
Snarf53563 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
I am also new here, and curious about membership requirements.

How active must you be to retain a general membership?
(i.e.; can your membership be terminated for low activity?)

If, initially, I just want to become a card-carrying member of the CoS and reserve more serious/involved membership for maybe later on ... do I have to visibly be part of a society to retain membership in that society?

I have been mainly agnostic/atheist during my life,
and wonder if membership in CoS requires verifiable devotion?

I agree with the philosophies of Satanism;
would vote to support them,
but am not at a stage where I would risk acting to defend them.

Edited by Snarf53563 (01/19/10 01:18 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#409369 - 01/19/10 01:20 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Snarf53563]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> can your membership be terminated for low activity <<

No. You are not obligated to do anything. Your level of participation is your own choice.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#409370 - 01/19/10 01:35 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Snarf53563 Offline

great!
thanks for the timely response.

over time, god-fearing religious people have interfered in my life or just irritated me to no end,
so they can thank themselves for coaxing me to seek out the opposition!

meaning: "anti-god" should be added to my agnostic/atheist self-description.

I am a 54 year-old disciple of logic.

*My* impression of Satanism has it respecting logic!

Even though I feel my interest in joining is selfish based in that it allows me to be more openly anti-god,
I feel that anti-god'ishness is an honest representation of my heart and potentially an acceptable foot-in-the-door to a more enlightened society.

#409373 - 01/19/10 01:40 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Snarf53563]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> they can thank themselves for coaxing me to seek out the opposition!
meaning: "anti-god" should be added to my agnostic/atheist self-description <<

You need to shed the residue of religious indoctrination. True opposition, bringing freedom, is indifference.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#409376 - 01/19/10 01:50 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Snarf53563 Offline

I did say "anti-god", not "anti-jesus";
it is not just christianity that I reject.

And ... being against something does not automatically mean I need to be for something else in opposition!
(but I am curious, thus open to the idea)

I don't *need* to be part of a group.
I am my own god.

But, if a group is worthy, I would join them.
(and hope to be worthy of their acceptance)

#409379 - 01/19/10 02:20 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Snarf53563]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Most Satanists lead private lives, and many of those who are members do not advertise their affiliation with the Church of Satan. And some don't even participate in this message board.

Martyrdom is frowned upon in this here neck of the woods.

Have you taken time to read the essays and information at the COS website? Doing so will clear up many things.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#409381 - 01/19/10 02:45 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Phineas]
Snarf53563 Offline

"Have you taken time to read the essays and information at the COS website? Doing this will clear up many things."

I am *very* new at this stage, and browsing related info on the web is going to take more time;
there is no rhyme to joining an organization if I end up pursuing it in total isolation, I could do just fine on my own without group reinforcement.

Beliefs are propagated by man.

horse racing, as an example, proves the crowd is right only 1/3rd of the time!

Thus "what to believe" is always the mystery to solve.

Although, thanks to man, examples of "what not to believe" are plentiful!

#409385 - 01/19/10 03:02 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Snarf53563]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

there is no rhyme to joining an organization if I end up pursuing it in total isolation, I could do just fine on my own without group reinforcement.

This statement shows your lack understanding regarding what the Church of Satan is about.

That is why I asked if you had educated yourself before attempting to arrive at any conclusions or decisions.

Membership is not mandatory nor required. Those who decide to take this step do so because they know it is right for them. And, they understand Satanism is not a belief system, nor is the COS an organization that requires group activities and meeting in person, etc.

Again, carefully reading and understanding (not just browsing) the information contained in the COS website, and, above all, The Satanic Bible, is indicated.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#409389 - 01/19/10 03:26 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Phineas]
Snarf53563 Offline

So ... Satanism is what I choose to make of it?

i.e.; it it wrong to let someone else dictate to me what is important in life.

Thus, taking *your* word on faith based solely on your advertised position within the CoS ... would be a mistake on my part?

confusing, since:

"Again, carefully reading and understanding (not just browsing) the information contained in the COS website, and, above all, The Satanic Bible, is indicated."

That statement essentially says that what established Satanists (who came before me) have written is what I need to understand.

I thought this was not about beliefs?

My primary belief in this area is:
god-fearing people are ... wrong (period)

It is only recently that I have embraced the idea of more actively opposing them in more of an official capacity.

#409396 - 01/19/10 03:39 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Snarf53563]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
So ... Satanism is what I choose to make of it?

Satanism is codified within the pages of The Satanic Bible. You need to read and understand that before you ask any further questions.
Prevention of Virtue

#409399 - 01/19/10 03:51 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: LKRice]
Snarf53563 Offline

ok then,
thanks for the advice.

I will take my leave and say goodbye for now:

Speaking as an individual ... I am a black hole.

#412923 - 02/17/10 09:38 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Snarf53563]
Rathj Offline

I happen to be new to this message board also. And indeed have a few questions on membership.

1. With all the scams and missleading people in this world who feed off of trusting people, how do I know that this is what it is and wont end up on a bad note? Turning me away from something that I have started to feel might be a direction Id like to explore?

2. I understand that is isnt the most popular thing out there and only other like minded people feel at home here. But how do we learn who these like minded people are and in turn start to get involved with activities in our area?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406344 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements