Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#394490 - 09/11/09 07:26 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: John Prophet]
TheAbysmal Offline

John Prophet,

I was thinking about this post all day. Worried about it, actually.

I expected from the initial replies I got last night that there would be more negative responses. That was my aim for the most part, though not for appearing to emulate Magister Nemo's distinctive style. As I said before, I like his style of writing. Somehow, it comes across more effectively to me, and...

I think emmulation can be a sincere form of flattery.

I would hope Magister Nemo is not bothered by my evident adoption of his layout style. Also, I did not exactly set out to write just like him. I just kinda picked it up as a habit. As Phosis pointed out, while the layout style is similar enough, Magister Nemo's posts certainly show a magnitude of depth and clarity I can hardly match on my best days. (This is the part that worried me. I was not trying to come across as if.)

I did leave my thoughts hanging on the obvious. I did so for two reasons:

1) As ror stated, I actually wanted other's thoughts on "the obvious". What is "plainly obvious" sometimes is not as plainly obvious to everyone as you might think.

2) I wanted to illustrate my obvious point. An experiment if you will.

You did not like the fact that I left my post hanging on an obvious point with no other contribution. You stated so, and appealed to me to rectify my post to meet your satisfaction, to which I am now replying in an attempt to do so.

Why?

Well, the answer goes back to what I first stated, really. I would not be on this board if it did not satisfy me, afterall. And, it does. That I am trying to satisfy you now--and, the other readers at large who feel the same, such as those who can boot me for posting something stupid, for instance--means I am trying to serve myself.

I knew and intended that I would have to defend this post today. I hope it makes sense as an experiment, even if it seems perhaps pointless to some. I was interested in seeing how this would play out. I hope this does not come as a cop out, and in any case, I knew that was a potential hole I was digging, too.

I did not intend to disgust anyone for copying, albeit poorly, Magister Nemo's style. I did not know I would have to defend that, and right off the bat.

So, what is the point of my experiment? Not much beyond curiousity.

Your thoughts?

Refuse to die.

#394491 - 09/11/09 07:29 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: Jack_Lantern]
TheAbysmal Offline

Yes.

My point is, sometimes, to please yourself, you have to please others, even to the point of acquiescence.

Kinda like I am having to do today.

Refuse to die.

#394494 - 09/11/09 07:59 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: G.F.V.]
TheAbysmal Offline

TheVulture,

You are right. You cannot always give people what they want, at least not in the sense I think you mean. Just look at some of the replies I got so far. You can, however, change what people want, ideally influencing them to want what you can give. Influencing long term desires is probably mostly harder to arrange than short term ones, but just read a bit of Bernays or Lippmann, and see how easy they make it sound. Propaganda/PR is an infinitly interesting industry to study. That does boil down to "What's in it for me?"

Eddy Bernays, for instance, had the task of helping the book industry sell more books that people did not want. (I can't remember why people did not want the books at the moment.) Rather than advertising books, Bernays convinced the house building industry to make home with built in bookshelves.

Suddenly, people wanted books. Books fill empty bookshelves. Bernays makes it sound effortless. I think its genious, and it is that kind of thinking that gives others what they "want" in return for what you or I want.

Reaaly, the idea fascinates me, and it disturbs me, because I am left wondering just how much I have been duped in that fashion (probably much).

You are right. One time is all it takes with certain people. Some people really cannot be easily persuaded. I think that just boils down to how much talent one has developed in the area of influence, and/or how much one really has to offer that others find valuable where influence fails.

Yeah, the world is harsh, and I am really not in disagreement with anything you have said here. I think that footing the bill is maybe a necessary lesson to avoid it in the future, perhaps doing so as I described above.

Thanks.

Refuse to die.

#394495 - 09/11/09 08:07 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: ror]
TheAbysmal Offline

Quote:
...or giving people what they want to hear or see is what its about.

I think so, absolutely. My point exactly, or at least that was my thrust.

Quote:
Its also key to not relate too much to what you do making it counterproductive & bordering on the other Satanic Sins.

Now you have got me wondering if that is just where I bordered here...

Quote:
Lavengro

I had to find that on Google. :lol: None of the above, I think, but thanks for the complement or the good pot shot. Now I have another book to read. Where do you find the time for all of them? Thanks.

Well, what do you think of my replies and idea?

Refuse to die.

#394507 - 09/11/09 09:22 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Vitaeviternus

1) As ror stated, I actually wanted other's thoughts on "the obvious". What is "plainly obvious" sometimes is not as plainly obvious to everyone as you might think.

This did occur to me, but I just assumed that most people on this board would find it to be plainly obvious.

You did not like the fact that I left my post hanging on an obvious point with no other contribution. You stated so, and appealed to me to rectify my post to meet your satisfaction, to which I am now replying in an attempt to do so.

Why?

Well, the answer goes back to what I first stated, really. I would not be on this board if it did not satisfy me, afterall. And, it does. That I am trying to satisfy you now--and, the other readers at large who feel the same, such as those who can boot me for posting something stupid, for instance--means I am trying to serve myself.

Ironically, the reason that I had a problem with your post (aside from the fact that I felt it was a bad presentation in general; not realizing it was an experiment) is that the way in which it was set up, made it difficult for me to satisfy your question.

When someone states the obvious and then asks you what your thoughts are, it can be very difficult to answer with anything other than “yeah”.

Your thoughts?

Your experiment ends with both of us experiencing unnecessary difficulty while trying to satisfy each other’s questions.
smirk

#394519 - 09/11/09 11:12 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
ror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: DracUR, Kalifornien: Yay Area
You were well intentioned yet we'd all like to have seen a bit more showmanship of course or maybe a punchline. 'Cant please everyone.
Lavengro is a term used in Satan Speaks which is what you've been talking about.
Thank you for your contributions.

#394524 - 09/12/09 12:05 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: ror]
TheAbysmal Offline

ror,

I thought you spoke of Lavengro: The Scholar, the Gypsy, the Priest. I had to flip through to the book to find it: The Liars Club.

Incidently, I never bothered to look it up or it never registered, but the other book looks quite interesting:

I sees a jolly pig in the yard, and I says to my sister, speaking Rommany, "Do so and so," says I; which the farming man hearing, asks what we are talking about. "Nothing at all, master," says I; "something about the weather"; when who should start up from behind a pale, where he has been listening, but this ugly gorgio, crying out, "They are after poisoning your pigs, neighbour!"

Refuse to die.

#394531 - 09/12/09 02:36 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
Quote:
It is not rocket surgery.

Don't you mean rocket science? wink

#394535 - 09/12/09 02:49 AM English / Off-Topic [Re: ror]
SINClair Offline

I often see Americans write this way... "would of" ... but isn't that incorrect English? Isn't it "would have" instead that's correct?

Thanks.

#394536 - 09/12/09 02:58 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: SINClair]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Americans on here also keep saying "I will loose my (keys)." or "I want to loose weight." They confuse it with "Loose the dogs."
When they actually mean "lose."

They also keep saying "hotter today then yesterday." Or "Other then this." When they mean "Than."

There are many more examples.

Apart from obvious retard errors such as these, Americans do have some American spellings and phrases that are incorrect in English, but not so in American English.

You must remember that Americans have to be treated like children. Intelligent Americans are considered only average in any other developed nation. And an average American achieves what would be considered bordering on the retarded.

#394537 - 09/12/09 03:04 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: SINClair]
foreverlearning Offline

"Would of" is a common mistake because we say would've instead of "would have" in our everyday speech. It sounds like "would of" and so is commonly mistyped as such.
Then and than is also a problem, as the Rev. said, because we really usually say "then" when we meen "than" (atleast where I am from). So even though I write them correctly, I actually say them incorrectly.

Edited by foreverlearning (09/12/09 03:05 AM)

#394538 - 09/12/09 03:06 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
SINClair Offline

Indeed. But words like "loose" when they mean "lose" or "then" when they mean "than", are errors that I have noticed English speakers from everywhere commit, not exclusively Americans... it was just the "would of" that seems to be only Americans that use for some reason.

#394539 - 09/12/09 03:14 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: foreverlearning]
SINClair Offline

Quote:
"Would of" is a common mistake because we say would've instead of "would have" in our everyday speech. It sounds like "would of" and so is commonly mistyped as such.

Hmm. You do not say "would've" - you write "would've". You say "would have", what does not sound like "would of" at all. At least not to my ears.

Anyway, my question was answered, it is indeed a writing mistake, so thanks. I don't want to diverge from the original topic for too long.

#394542 - 09/12/09 03:22 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Well, human beings are social animals, I would think this goes without saying.

#394543 - 09/12/09 03:25 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheDegenerate]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I also can not tell if your critiquing me or Phosis. Would you explain please what it is you're referring to with 'this'?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43638 Topics
404154 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements