Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#394544 - 09/12/09 03:28 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Another common problem in America, people often make reference to 'this', when there is no clear contextual clue as to exactly what is mean by 'this'. I don't know how many papers I've edited in which people start an entirely new thought in an entirely new paragraph with the word 'this'.

#394549 - 09/12/09 04:13 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: SINClair]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
You say "would have", what does not sound like "would of" at all. At least not to my ears.

It probably stems from people saying "woulda" rather than "would have" when speaking. Phonetically, it translates back to "would of" when written.
Prevention of Virtue

#394552 - 09/12/09 05:49 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
Come visit us in the Southern US . The language here will stand your hair on end. Instead of saying that they are planning on doing something- the way that it is said here is " I am fixing to..."

Then there is the very popular "usta could". No, Jeff Foxworthy DID NOT make this up." I cannot get to Clarksville by train anymore. But I usta could. "

http://singlesmartandsurviving.blogspot.com/

http://darkrae.blogspot.com/

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

A charming woman doesn't follow the crowd. She is herself. - Loretta Young, American Actress

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else. - ERMA BOMBECK

#394561 - 09/12/09 08:58 AM Re: Lavengro [Re: ror]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

Its also key to not relate too much to what you do making it counterproductive & bordering on the other Satanic Sins.
Suspension of disbelief.
At the same time by one's very nature its sometimes an 'Is, Not Does' scenario.
Such as Satanists being born, not made.
Power over force.
Wattage in other words.

Frankly, this makes no sense.

Quote:
Its also key to not relate too much to what you do making it counterproductive & bordering on the other Satanic Sins. Suspension of disbelief.

How does one "relate too much" to what one does, and furthermore, how is this bordering on a Satanic sin? Which sin?
What could your first statement possibly have to do with the suspension of disbelief?

Quote:
At the same time by one's very nature its sometimes an 'Is, Not Does' scenario.

What is sometimes an "Is, Not Does" scenario? What does this have to do with a person's nature and how does the statement correlate to the "born, not made" maxim, other than mimicking it's grammatical structure?

Quote:
Power over force.
Wattage in other words.

Put simply, Power equals Force times Velocity.
So, force is an essential component to power, even when speaking in vague metaphors.

Edited by Mr. Obsidian (09/12/09 09:06 AM)

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#394562 - 09/12/09 09:00 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: SueW]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
What you are talking about there though, Sue, is idiosyncratic vernacular.

It's quite different to incorrect use of English per se.

It's like here in Uttoxeter. Youth is "Yoth."

I've been to the Southern U.S.A. I like the way they speak. In fact, it's probably my favorite dialect in the States.

#394563 - 09/12/09 09:25 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: SINClair]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: SINClair
Quote:
It is not rocket surgery.

Don't you mean rocket science? wink

... or brain surgery smile

I think this phrase was intentional, it was introduced by Shade (if I remember correctly) in another topic a while back.

#394564 - 09/12/09 09:38 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: verszou]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: verszou
Originally Posted By: SINClair
Quote:
It is not rocket surgery.

Don't you mean rocket science? wink

... or brain surgery smile

I think this phrase was intentional, it was introduced by Shade (if I remember correctly) in another topic a while back.

Actually, I thought that “rocket surgery” thing, was a deliberate joke on Vitaeviternus’ part. A humorous merging of the two popular sayings, which are designed to mean basically the same thing.

#394574 - 09/12/09 01:09 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: John Prophet]
Cryptodelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
People are interested in, or care about what you do to fulfill their desires, so by giving people what they want, they are your best friend?

Not exactly.

We are always communicating, sending and receiving social information, much of which is non verbal, so if you want someone to view you as “your best friend”, you need to direct the quality of your communication specifically to establish a deep level of rapport.

According to Robert Cialdini, different tactics can be employed to produce a desired reaction, the majority fall within six basic categories including consistency, reciprocation, social proof, authority, liking, and scarcity.

Reciprocity may produce an undesired reaction if you come off as a fawning sycophant, or create a feeling of unwanted obligation. Cialdini cites the example of women who allow men to buy drinks for them in bars, and then feel obligated to have sex in return.

Or perhaps your scheme requires that you are viewed as holding a higher social value than your would be pal, and your presentment of attention or goods might seem to be overt patronizing, this unwarranted gifting may actually lower your perceived social value.

Within the social dynamics of casual dating, approval seeking behavior might not create a feeling of attraction within your seduction target, and may diminish any initial attraction that may exist.

Consider searching for: rule of reciprocation

fix 'merikin anglish, pert near anyways
stuck between in one ear and out the hard place

Edited by Cryptodelic (09/12/09 04:01 PM)

L P S Clock: 10:30

#394582 - 09/12/09 05:23 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: SINClair]
Happy Birthday TheAbysmal Offline

No... Brain science.

Refuse to die.

#394583 - 09/12/09 05:49 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: Cryptodelic]

I agree, Cryptodelic. I was speaking figuratively of "best friend".

All the same, the way you approach it is interesting to me. For instance, approval seeking behavior on a casual date may diminish attraction. Attraction, I would think, is the goal, and seeking approval is not the answer. It is not what people want, in other words.

Giving people what they want does not immediately translate to approval seeking or even buying drinks at the bar. Volumes have been written on what women really want. Even so-called pickup artists who achieve legendary success doing what leads to sex fail in building a lasting relationship. Incidently, a pickup artist wrote a book on just that subject, and I have enough of those books, I cannot remember which it was.

I have read about the rule of reciprocity. Maybe Robert Greene or Wikipedia? Probably both.

Really, you explicated where I did not: It is not exactly easy.

Thanks. smile

Refuse to die.

#394585 - 09/12/09 07:05 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Mr. Obsidian]

Mr. Obsidian,

I think people can relate too much to what they do. All the time, people say things like I am a cook, or I am a student, or etc. The degree to which people relate to these terms they use is anyone's guess, and what is too much is perhaps largely subjective. Even I do it and consider there may be a big distinction between I am a Soldier in the Army and I soldier in the Army. Maybe the English language makes it easier to say I am rather than I do, or maybe the ease is found in societal norms. Regardless, I do not think saying it is as bad as believing it. In my job alone, I know plenty of men whose options are close to zero because they cling to the notion, "I am a Ranger," and see no other avenue, even in the Army.

That this inclination to relate to what one does to the point of deeply identifying with it "border[s] on the other Satanic Sins" might not mean that it borders any given one of them. I think ror meant that it is perhaps so unuseful, that it could be a Satanic Sin. Had Anton LaVey included it, it would have been. That he did not, the best ror can maybe say is that it borders on the other Satanic Sins.

Or, maybe ror even meant Self-deceit, which I think fits nicely, too. Wholly identifying with what we do could be a sacred cow, and Anton LaVey mentions roles in the Fourth Satanic Sin.

Is, not does. Born, not made. Is born, not does ma[ke].

The Satanist is born. He does not make or force Satanism to be his philosophy. I do not think that would even work. Though, Satanism is something with which one identifies. I think identifying with Satanism works because it is not a role to be filled. I think ror was just driving at this exception.i

Power over force simply means that it is better to apply force where it belongs rather than applying force for application's sake. You pointed out that power is force times velocity, velocity entailing direction.

I imagine ror was hinting at the idea that giving people what they want--to get what one wants--might be as simple as not detroying the notions with which they identify.

Granted, ror's posts can be difficult to digest, not always being immediately clear--and perhaps I am completely wrong--but that is half their fun for me.

Refuse to die.

#394589 - 09/12/09 07:34 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: TheAbysmal]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
This thread is making my brain cry. frown

"I wish I could say everything there is to say in one word. I hate all the things that can happen between the beginning of a sentence and the end." ~ Leonard Cohen
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#394590 - 09/12/09 07:38 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Shade]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Should a kindly Mod put this thread out of it's misery and lock it? Of all people. I hate to see your brain cry.

rip coopdevil wink

#394591 - 09/12/09 07:56 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Quaark]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
You are such a gentleman, Mr. Daark. smile blush

I don't mean to crash the party though. I'm just having an awful hard time eking sense out of some of these posts. I dunno, I might be the only one who needs a decoder ring. Wouldn't be the first time. grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#394594 - 09/12/09 08:18 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Shade]

That is cute.

Refuse to die.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12098 Members
73 Forums
43863 Topics
405469 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM