Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#394595 - 09/12/09 08:26 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: TheAbysmal]
Cryptodelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
Vitaeviternus, nothing personal, but your writings are becoming increasingly opaque, at least to me, so I apologize that I can't seem to follow your reasoning, or discern if your even making a point.

L P S Clock: 10:30

#394597 - 09/12/09 09:01 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Cryptodelic]
TheAbysmal Offline

Cryptodelic,

I do not take your remarks as a personal attack.

As far as saying "That is cute", I was merely saying that I thought the picture of the hamster with a pancake on his head was cute. And, that I am not interested in keeping this thread alive.

I thought that maybe interesting points might develop in discussion. None really did. My little experiment failed miserably. It turned out to be stupid. No big deal.

Refuse to die.

#394600 - 09/12/09 09:11 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: TheAbysmal]
Frosty Offline

Loc: Washington State
It's a shame I didn't join earlier; I would've had a heyday with this discussion.

#394601 - 09/12/09 09:16 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Frosty]
TheAbysmal Offline

Well, Frosty, it is not locked yet.

Refuse to die.

#394602 - 09/12/09 09:30 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: TheAbysmal]
Frosty Offline

It hardly seems I can insert myself into the discussion now, but for it's own sake, my two cents are thus:

Being utterly confined by my existence as a finite sentience, I have no concept of an existence as an alternative finite sentience. As such, it is beyond my capacity to relate to another individual beyond appearance and introspection. Ultimately, I can't care for others in the true sense; I only value what I get from them or how I feel around or in reaction to them. Good feeling from charity or "altruism" is put in place for the same reason it feels good to eat, sleep, and shit: it's a basic survival mechanism (the individual can hardly exist without the tribe). In no way is this to speak ill of mankind to call it shallow or self serving; this Psychological Egoism is simply the least complex and most efficient system by which a group of organisms will support the species, and Nature always takes the path of least resistance. Every marvel and phenomenon in the Universe is the absolute least complicated way things could be.

#394606 - 09/12/09 10:17 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Frosty]
TheAbysmal Offline

Frosty,

It seems to me you inserted yourself into the conversation well, if only risking obviousness as I did.

I like how you equate charitable contribution with shitting. While the remark even makes me snicker a bit, I think puts things in the category of "it just feels good" where it makes sense. Still, I disagree with charity being soley a survival mechanism. Where shitting really is necessary to survive--and the body will find a way do it--I can get away with not donating to charitable organizations or homeless people who ask for a buck. If and when I do donate, I do not think it translates into survival as much as just feeling good for the sake of feeling good. If it does, it does through so many levels of indirection that I miss it. In terms of the tribe, yep. I just would not call it charity.

I do not think mankind is shallow as a rule, but I do think mankind is self-serving as a rule and many people simply fail to see it that way. Their failure to see themselves that way allows them to imagine ideals as altruism that simply do not work for them. That can affect survival. It can mean the difference from rolling away from or jumping on the grenade.

I like the clincher, too, and if you excluded human phenomena, probably spot on.

Refuse to die.

#394609 - 09/12/09 10:24 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: TheAbysmal]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
My little experiment failed miserably. It turned out to be stupid. No big deal.

An experiment is a test or trial to discover something unknown. It is also used to test a principle or supposition. So I think thje question is what exactly were you attempting to test? If you stated so in another post I apologize as I have not read all of the posts here.

#394610 - 09/12/09 10:28 PM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Based upon your post Reverend I walked my happy ass to a used bookstore and started looking through the piles of books based upon linguistics. I picked up Logic and Language by Bernard F. Huppe and Jack Kaminisky. I hope this will improve my use of English. grin

Edited by Unknown (09/13/09 01:12 AM)

#394614 - 09/12/09 11:15 PM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

You must remember that Americans have to be treated like children. Intelligent Americans are considered only average in any other developed nation. And an average American achieves what would be considered bordering on the retarded.

Except when such developed nations come crawling on their knees for money. Then Americans are the best on the planet.grin

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#394617 - 09/13/09 12:15 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
You must remember that Americans have to be treated like children. Intelligent Americans are considered only average in any other developed nation. And an average American achieves what would be considered bordering on the retarded.

We're doing pretty good considering what rubble you Brits started us with. laugh

#394619 - 09/13/09 12:40 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Philotechnic]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
America is what you get when you send all of your religious nuts to die in a forest across the ocean. That plan failed and now Europe has to deal with its prom night dumpster baby, America.

Edited by Jack_Lantern (09/13/09 12:44 AM)

#394620 - 09/13/09 12:44 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Phineas]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Except when such developed nations come crawling on their knees for money. Then Americans are the best on the planet <<

Already addressed by Magus Gilmore:

"And we're the stupid ones for giving it to them."

grin grin grin

#394623 - 09/13/09 01:40 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Magus Gilmore? Isn't he an American?

Perhaps your blanket statement needs some rethinking. wink

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#394624 - 09/13/09 02:02 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Phineas]
Frosty Offline

Originally Posted By: "Vitaeviternus"
I can get away with not donating to charitable organizations or homeless people who ask for a buck.If and when I do donate, I do not think it translates into survival as much as just feeling good for the sake of feeling good.

It's the same mechanism, not the same scale; especially not in modern society. We still have wisdom teeth and appendixes, yeah? Tribe mentality is a left over triviality.

Originally Posted By: "Vitaeviternus"
I like the clincher, too, and if you excluded human phenomena, probably spot on.

Even human action is the path of least resistance. Even it appears otherwise, it's to avoid something more complicated, like guilt, for example. Humans aren't above physics.

#394625 - 09/13/09 02:07 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: Frosty]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

What does your reply have to do with my post?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43831 Topics
405233 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements