Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#394700 - 09/13/09 08:39 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: John Prophet]
Frosty Offline

Loc: Washington State
Quote:
Verszou is correct, what you’re describing is not physics. At best you’re just using physics as an analogy for psychology and social interaction.

That's... exactly what I'm doing, yes. If I construed it otherwise, it was not my intention.

#394707 - 09/13/09 10:19 PM Re: Lavengro [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
ror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: DracUR, Kalifornien: Yay Area
By being malleable in one's assumptions with interactions, other possibilities of empowerment can arise. Thats where suspension of disbelief enters. In taking a step back, one can choose other options not ordinarily available when approaching things solipsistically.
A slight shift in perspective is all thats required. No physical action need be taken. That is where 'Is, Not Does' (from the LaVeyan Glossary of Terms) enters & power over force (which is best illustrated by the Dark Knight quote, This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.”) is understood.

Its all about conservation of energy. ‘Much like getting your surroundings to come to you rather than going to it as noted by the Doktor in Satan Speaks. Why ‘do’ anything for others when you can just be & this is where wattage comes in & is defined in the Satanic Witch under Bitchcraft which is a stratification distillation.
Because of what we are by our nature, by the dark current that ever flows, we are always first to feast.

#394713 - 09/14/09 12:12 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: Frosty]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Frosty

Originally Posted By: "verszou"
You now select anecdotal stories and subgroups of people and try to pass it off as some convergence of two areas that does not exist.

I'll provide scientifically demonstrable evidence for my argument when you can provide scientifically demonstrable evidence against it.

Which is akin to creationists saying that since you cannot disprove the existence of god then you must accept that he exists.

A good theory should explain all the facts, not just some of them, the ones who are most convenient to you. It should do so in a simpler way than the existing ones.

Both your examples, which as Reverend Strongbone pointed out, are interesting observations of human psychology, can also be explained well within that field. So adding claims that physics has anything to do with it just adds complexity that is not needed.

Edited by verszou (09/14/09 11:10 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling misteak

#394726 - 09/14/09 03:09 AM Re: English / Off-Topic [Re: LKRice]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: LKRice

It probably stems from people saying "woulda" rather than "would have" when speaking. Phonetically, it translates back to "would of" when written.

That's messing with the would of my have too mucho now, it's getting confusing. :P

#394727 - 09/14/09 03:12 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: verszou]
SINClair Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou

... or brain surgery smile

I think this phrase was intentional, it was introduced by Shade (if I remember correctly) in another topic a while back.

That's the problem with using inside jokes with outsiders, it doesn't have the same effect.

#394728 - 09/14/09 03:16 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: Frosty]
SINClair Offline

Oh I'm familiar with "Bob". I'm as much a member as you really can be.

As much a member as anyone can be, provided they can crack Bob's math problem that is. Does everyone get that when applying for membership with The Church Of Subgenius?

#394736 - 09/14/09 08:57 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: Frosty]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Oh I'm familiar with "Bob". I'm as much a member as you really can be. <<

Well, what happened to Bob's other pipe?

I recall Bob usually had two pipes. grin

Really though, what happened to Bob's other pipe? What's gone wrong? Did he lose it?

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#394744 - 09/14/09 10:03 AM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
When I hear someone say "people", I always have to ask, "Which people?" Strangers? Family?

Some people surround themselves with "friends" who don't actually give a shit about them. Are you saying you are in that position?

I'm happy to have people in my life who are not too cool to put themselves out a bit to help me when it counts, and I try to do the same.

But perhaps they are not "people" in your sense of the term.

#394762 - 09/14/09 12:39 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: reprobate]
Frosty Offline

Loc: Washington State
Both your examples, which as Reverend Strongbone pointed out, are interesting observations of human psychology, can also be explained well within that field. So adding claims that physics has anything to do with it just adds complexity that is not needed.

I would argue that separating psychology from physical laws would be adding more complexity, but I don't think this is a topic either of us can definitively prove our cases for here.

Originally Posted By: "Strongbone"
Really though, what happened to Bob's other pipe? What's gone wrong? Did he lose it?

I've read the entire Book of the Subgenius, and "Bob" always had one pipe; I've never seen otherwise.

Edited by Frosty (09/14/09 12:39 PM)

#394764 - 09/14/09 12:47 PM Re: Bob "two pipes" Dobbs. [Re: Frosty]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> I've read the entire Book of the Subgenius, and "Bob" always had one pipe; I've never seen otherwise <<

I am afraid it is so.

The Church of SubGenius must have changed the image. In the late eighties / early nineties when I first came across them Bob had two pipes.

Attachments
badpng1.png

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#394769 - 09/14/09 01:31 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: Frosty]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark

I would argue that separating psychology from physical laws would be adding more complexity, but I don't think this is a topic either of us can definitively prove our cases for here.

Why not? If you claim to be right about something that contradicts current scientific methods it stands to reason that you should at least provide something more than anecdotal evidence.

As was already said earlier in this discussion, the established tradition does not need to disprove new claims, new claims need to prove that they are superior to what has already been established.

Flying teapots of spaghetti monsters are not acceptable just beacause somebody claim their existence.

I believe this is now argument from ignorance - are you going through the whole list of logical fallacies in order to prove this connection between the laws of physics and psychology?

#394773 - 09/14/09 02:24 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I don't think it is possible to remind ourselves of important ideas such as these too much.

Thank you.

#394783 - 09/14/09 05:06 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

People DO give a shit about me. Why? Because I am the SHIT!

Whether it's good shit or bad shit, people do give me shit. I get shit for gifts. I get shit from the haters. It all boils down to the same shit.

Shit! Everytime I wake up in the morning, I smile and tell myself in the mirror, "Damn homie! You are definitely the SHIT!" Then I pick out some shit I bought at the store and put that shit on because everything I wear is the shit and the shit looks good on me.

I'm done with this shit. Y'all can continue on.

#394803 - 09/14/09 09:55 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: Nemo]
TheAbysmal Offline

Magister Nemo,

Thank you.

Refuse to die.

#394810 - 09/14/09 11:06 PM Re: People Don't Give a Shit about You [Re: TheAbysmal]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
You are most welcome.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43981 Topics
406051 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements