Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#394223 - 09/09/09 01:56 PM Re: Question. [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Hear hear on all points.

Envision this.

Monsanto successfully gets a monopoly on most of mankind's food crops. They get their terminator tech approved. The world adjusts (painfully) to the situation of HAVING to buy EVERY years seeds from them.

Insiders at Monsanto get into the derivative markets. They engage in insider trading. They get caught. They go bankrupt and the execs go to prison.

Lawyers for the holding company for Monsanto's assets while it transitions out of bankruptcy prevent the proprietary seeds from going to market.

For two years.

rip

#394237 - 09/09/09 03:45 PM Re: Question. [Re: Quaark]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Thank you for your very well thought-out response.
Originally Posted By: Daark

The issue is the "what" that is being done in the first place. Is that "what" a desirable "what" from the point of view of everyone NOT involved in sharing profits from it?

So the problem as you see it is not so much a matter of economics and science coming together; as what happens next. That makes sense.

Aside from ethical issues, some of the things that you're concerned about would seem to be very impractical, even from a long term financial standpoint. I'm aware that companies are accountable to their stockholders, but it all just seems so shortsighted even if greed is your only motivation.

Needless to say, destroying the world really isnít a very profitable, long-term business strategy. crossbones

#394297 - 09/10/09 10:51 AM Re: Question. [Re: Philotechnic]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:
..and mild death."

Reminds me of Billy Crystal's Miracle Max:

#394349 - 09/10/09 07:56 PM Re: Question. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
ShadowDragon Offline

Loc: Where I have Always Been
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Originally Posted By: ShadowDragon

I apologize to anyone disappointed that there never will be a Utopia,

Can you imagine how friggin' BORING utopia would be?!
Think about it...No more disasters for professional...disaster reliefing people...to make money on.
Assuming a bare minimum of intelligence, far fewer stupid people to fall for your wiles.
And...more alarming than that...no more really good looking dumb chicks to take...I mean...woo.

Messy and imperfect is okay.

Now...if we can have a utopia where the above would not be an issue...

Indeed, though that part was mostly for humor sakes. devilchili

To Light a Candle,is to Cast a Shadow.

#394356 - 09/10/09 08:41 PM Re: Question. [Re: ShadowDragon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

I apologize to anyone disappointed that there never will be a Utopia,

Can you imagine how friggin' BORING utopia would be?!
Think about it...No more disasters for professional...disaster reliefing people...to make money on.
Assuming a bare minimum of intelligence, far fewer stupid people to fall for your wiles.
And...more alarming than that...no more really good looking dumb chicks to take...I mean...woo.

Messy and imperfect is okay.

Now...if we can have a utopia where the above would not be an issue...

Indeed, though that part was mostly for humor sakes. devilchili

My response was written with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I mean...what kind of Satanist would I be if ever took advantage of stupid people? Especially dumb chicks.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#394417 - 09/11/09 03:04 AM Re: Question. [Re: Quaark]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
That's right, you didn't use the term "scared", I guess I used it because I thought that's what it was considering you were referring to medical errors... I should have stuck with "wary" I suppose.

I did get the impression that you were not in favour of medical advance in itself by your initial post, but thanks for clarifying it.

Not only medicines may cause "side effects", even chocolate may cause a "side effect", if one eats too much of it, they'll end up in the toilet for hours, they'll get fat, etc.

General side effects cautions given with medicines are due to the fact that not everybody's body's the same... what can be beneficial to one, may bring side effects to someone else because of a number of given conditions.

It's not a bad thing to be wary in the end anyway.

PS: I'm replying to you but I'm not implying that you have said any of these things, they are my opinion alone.

#394418 - 09/11/09 03:10 AM Re: Question. [Re: Shade]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
I wasn't asking because I agree or disagree. You had just mentioned that there were a lot of other reasons to be wary of medical advances without actually naming a single one.

It does still seem to me that it is not medical advance in itself that people are wary of, but rather medical error and the many medical errors that occur until medicine advances.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12009 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405198 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements