Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396117 - 09/27/09 02:42 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Yes. I was reading the diary of Anne Frank for school, and I wanted a different perspective. grin

I caught more than a few glares when I'd pull it out for leisure reading! crossbones coopdevil crossbones

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#396119 - 09/27/09 02:47 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
I heard about it on NPR today. It's called Kapparot or Atonement. There's some debate where some practitioners think that in this day and age they should swing money around their heads, but apparently the chicken is still how most do it. I guess the city of Brooklyn has been fining the rabbis who sell the chickens because they are leaving the streets bloody when it's done.Picture taken from www.torahtots.com which was the first link I found.

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#396120 - 09/27/09 02:47 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: NapalmNick]
Azathoth Offline

Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Yes. I was reading the diary of Anne Frank for school, and I wanted a different perspective. grin

I caught more than a few glares when I'd pull it out for leisure reading! crossbones coopdevil crossbones

I'm surprised that you didn't get dragged to the principal's office given the PC climate in most schools.

#396121 - 09/27/09 02:58 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Azathoth]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Well, you have to understand that almost everyone in my school was White. There were a few Indian kids here and there, and I think maybe one Black kid.

My Jewish friend thought it was hilarious.

Even though I did get dirty looks, nobody really said anything to me about it. I think I got a few comments from teachers asking why I was reading it, and when I answered that I wanted as many perspectives as possible they actually encouraged me!

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#396123 - 09/27/09 04:57 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: NapalmNick]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Your Satanic-Jewish friend is amused too. My parents encourage all reading, but this one I read somewhat in secret: Even if they never admitted or thought they'd be offended, I'd still catch that look of disapproval in their eyes that only parents can give.

#396124 - 09/27/09 04:59 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Diwanna]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Thank you for mentioning it, I had never even imagined such a thing from the orthodox jews in this day and age. Indeed it seems some worthless religious fucktards still do that shit (As recently as 2005 at least), even though rabbis since Maimonides condemned it. They deserve to be hurtled around by their necks three times then get their throats slit. The injury of animals for religion is just about the lowest a human being can get. There are no words obscene enough to describe these fucking cunts.

#396150 - 09/27/09 01:40 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Geez, you'd think people would stop listening to this guy after the famous banana argument. Maybe people just view him as a train wreck at this point.

Originally Posted By: cheryablinsk70
It's amusing to see how Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron are fine with doing this kind of thing, when if someone decided to add a 50 page "introduction" to the Christian bible and make a few choice edits of their own, they would be outraged and call "religious discrimination".

Well there we go, then: release free copies of the Bible with an introduction by Richard Dawkins. coopdevil

Originally Posted By: Delta
I can't help but think the outrage caused by this new Darwin hack-job will backfire against the Christians too afraid to present it intact.

No doubt we'll be seeing plenty of websites, YouTube clips, and Amazon.com reviews pointing out the flaws in Comfort's bogus claims. Though in general, the efforts of creationists have ironically gotten more laymen to read up on biology. I hope this backfires tenfold.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#396157 - 09/27/09 02:23 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Well there we go, then: release free copies of the Bible with an introduction by Richard Dawkins. coopdevil

I would not expect others to show courtesy for someone else's work and would go as far to call MR. Comfort a vandal. I equate him with the trash who spray paints graffiti on public areas. Would Richard Dawkins write an introduction for the Holy Bible? I have viewed him as a man of ethics and on first guess would say no, but anything is possible. If he were to do so I admit that it would be good for a laugh but would then associate him with the likes of MR. Comfort.

"The King James Version of the Holy Bible is in the Public Domain. You can publish, copy, distribute it for free, or sell it, all without having to ask any one's permission." Source

Originally Posted By: Delta
I can't help but think the outrage caused by this new Darwin hack-job will backfire against the Christians too afraid to present it intact.

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
No doubt we'll be seeing plenty of websites, YouTube clips, and Amazon.com reviews pointing out the flaws in Comfort's bogus claims. Though in general, the efforts of creationists have ironically gotten more laymen to read up on biology. I hope this backfires tenfold.

I imagine it will with the many but among the followers it is gas on the fire. On a lighter note - Ever since reading this I can not get that silly "ring ring banana phone" jingle out of my head. I think High Priestess Nadramia called it an ear-worm?
´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#396216 - 09/27/09 08:54 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
What I hope will happen will these college kids will read the 50 page intro talking about Father God willing the Universe into existence, creating man, then woman out of a rib, and the whole world is happy go lucky until a snake talks to woman and convinces her and man to eat an apple that makes them see their nakedness and royally peeves off their creator. Then the reader will go into the real book which will explain in scientific terms the concepts origins and evolution. If you read them side by side with a relatively open mind, who would possible believe the first over the second.

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#396250 - 09/28/09 07:55 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
WolfMoon Offline

So this minister has written an introduction to a book in which he does not support it's material? zombie

That is simply ridiculous.

That is equivalent to a Satanist writing a 50 page introduction to the Holy Bible!

#396252 - 09/28/09 08:01 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
WolfMoon Offline

Quote:
Well there we go, then: release free copies of the Bible with an introduction by Richard Dawkins.

Looks like you beat me to it! Even though Richard Dawkins is not a Satanist...

#396273 - 09/28/09 12:09 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Diwanna]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: Diwanna
What I hope will happen will these college kids will read the 50 page intro talking about Father God willing the Universe into existence, creating man, then woman out of a rib, and the whole world is happy go lucky until a snake talks to woman and convinces her and man to eat an apple that makes them see their nakedness and royally peeves off their creator. Then the reader will go into the real book which will explain in scientific terms the concepts origins and evolution. If you read them side by side with a relatively open mind, who would possible believe the first over the second.

Actually, the most probable thing is people will get bored after reading the few first pages of the preacher's drivel and they won't read the rest of the book at all.

In the case of the most recalcitrant religious fundamentalists, they will get the book ONLY for the preacher's introduction and they will not read Darwin's work at all.

In my personal case, I already have the book, so I couldn't care less about this ridiculous farce.

#396277 - 09/28/09 01:00 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
By the by, has anyone seen Ben Stein's "Expelled" 'documentary' on evolution and ID?

It's so ludicrous, so plainly deceptive and obviously manipulative, and so clumsily made, I actually came away with respect for Michael Moore!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#396315 - 09/28/09 07:03 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: TrojZyr]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
By the by, has anyone seen Ben Stein's "Expelled" 'documentary' on evolution and ID?

It's so ludicrous, so plainly deceptive and obviously manipulative, and so clumsily made, I actually came away with respect for Michael Moore!

I never saw it, but I saw an interesting thing about it.

Back when that movie came out I worked at FedEx and I had the opportunity of seeing several movieĺs promotion material and even the actual reels being delivered to theaters. Usually movies come accompanied by posters and other advertising stuff.

I found very interesting that this particular movie was delivered accompanied with an unusual amount of additional material like pamphlets and quiz-like forms to be filled by viewers. Of course, there is only so much information you can learn from the outside of the packages, but the impression I got is there was some kind of interactive experience where the public would not only watch the movie but participate, discuss and go home with reading material.

I donĺt know if those packages were destined to all theaters, or it was destined to some special viewings (like in Churches or religious meetings, perhaps?) But one thing is obvious to me: the whole thing was not just a movie, but an elaborate propaganda campaign.

#396323 - 09/28/09 07:58 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Old_Pig]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
Actually, the most probable thing is people will get bored after reading the few first pages of the preacher's drivel and they won't read the rest of the book at all.

In the case of the most recalcitrant religious fundamentalists, they will get the book ONLY for the preacher's introduction and they will not read Darwin's work at all.

I am thinking that The 700 Club will run a raise money for Comfort campaign and thousands of Christians will once again be fleeced. After all Pat Robertson is the true Antichrist. eek

Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
In my personal case, I already have the book, so I couldn't care less about this ridiculous farce.

Excellent point.
´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12090 Members
73 Forums
43862 Topics
405449 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements