Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396333 - 09/28/09 09:04 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: TrojZyr]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
By the by, has anyone seen Ben Stein's "Expelled" 'documentary' on evolution and ID?

I've seen a few scenes, but I don't know if I could stomach the whole thing. Though there's a website "Expelled: Exposed" that debunks Stein's claims, if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#396453 - 09/29/09 06:43 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Fun fact: See Ben addressing that auditorium packed full of "college students"? The vast majority of those "students" were PAID EXTRAS. Pepperdine University said that only a scant few of its own students attended Stein's speech.

Another Fun Fact: They totally butcher Darwin's quote from The Descent of Man, and quote it out of context. I believe wikipedia has the full quote on its "Expelled" page.

Me, I saw red when they started to mock one of the scientists for saying that the building blocks of life could've formed on the backs of crystals. Talk about anti-intellectualism at its worst!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#396512 - 09/30/09 04:59 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: TrojZyr]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
Another Fun Fact: They totally butcher Darwin's quote from The Descent of Man, and quote it out of context. I believe wikipedia has the full quote on its "Expelled" page.

Oh yes, creationists are notorious for quote-mining. Especially that line from Origin of Species about the human eye. This page has good collection of the quotes most often used, and what they look like when taken in their full context.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#396514 - 09/30/09 05:21 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The simple fact is that anyone who bothers to really read up on evolution would be hard pressed to find a way to debunk it. The evidence is more massively built up in favor of this theory than nearly any scientific theory I can think of; maybe plate tectonics? After all, it becomes inexplicable as to why god would create dozens, hundreds, thousands of species almost alike but just barely different. Was he so out of ideas that he just decided to vary the same theme on every fucking island and valley and level of the canopy? Nor do any other "theories" support the evidence.

I think the comparison to plate tectonics is a good one. It's quite complex in full explanation, but in lay terms it is unusually easy to comprehend and verify as reasonable.

Amusing to me though that the only way creationists can hope to debate this is by referring to the originator work that is over a century old and was written before modern genetics were even discovered. Sort of like disputing astrophysics based on Copernicus.

#396522 - 09/30/09 07:31 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: WolfMoon]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
Richard Dawkins has another book on evolution that was released on September 22nd. My copy arrived this week:

"The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution".

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Show-Eart...3688&sr=8-1

#396530 - 09/30/09 09:31 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Atreus
Richard Dawkins has another book on evolution that was released on September 22nd. My copy arrived this week:

"The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution".

Thanks for the reminder; I've been meaning to pick that up. I'm curious to see how it compares with his earlier evolution-for-the-layman book, The Blind Watchmaker.

#396534 - 09/30/09 10:02 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
I haven't started reading it yet. It has little pockets of glossy illustrations that I flipped through when it arrived. It is taunting me greatly on my coffee table.

I just began "The End of Time" by Julian Barbour. So that has my current focus.

Dawkins is a favorite of mine. I really enjoyed "The Ancestor's Tale". There is a new illustrated version of it that has been released, as well. "The Selfish Gene" changed the way I saw the behavior of all living things.

I enjoy books that change me...or damage me. devilchili

HS!

#396536 - 09/30/09 10:10 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I VERY rarely ever plug any other message boards here, but...

If you can stand the self-righteous militant atheism AND the over-the-top Good Guy Egalitarian Humanism there, richarddawkins.net has some of the finest, funniest, most logical, knowledgeable, and ruthlessly precise science-oriented minds on the entire web.

I've posted there quite a bit in the distant past and truly enjoyed my interactions there. Huge amounts of Satanism-relevant info and such. Worth perusing and possibly lurking.

#396554 - 09/30/09 12:54 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
You would love Dawkins' new book, Bill. From what little I have already read it is full of really well reasoned and brilliant concepts that bolster evolution.

He even adds a bit of humor to it. Granted, no David Cross jokes.

It even has a few pretty colored pages for those more visual orientated folks.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#396571 - 09/30/09 04:05 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
I had never seen the banana illustration. Thanks to all who informed me, as I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while!

#396610 - 09/30/09 09:03 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: ArtAche86]
Daydreamer Offline

Loc: New York State
I hate that Comfort was even allowed to do something like this to such a wonderful book! I understand that the work is no longer held under copyright and that the first ammendment does allow certain freedoms when it comes to this kind of thing, but some (see all) of this man's claims are nothing but slander, false advertising, propaganda, and libel.

So far I haven't read his whole PDF introduction, but by page nine several things (several asinine things) have already reared up. He uses a quote from a child's website (that compares DNA and genetics to a book) to attempt to disprove Darwin's theories, stating that a book that complex and perfect must, of course, have been created by a higher power (AKA the Flying Spagetti Monster). He also explains that a worm is more complex than Mnt. Rushmore and a 747, both of which had designers.

The rest of it is just as stupid. While grammatically correct, the false information and blatant arguments for (un)intelligent design make me want to scream. Combine that with the HUGE amount of information, including several pictures that do not match the text, that he just copastaed from other sources (much more than my AP English teacher suggested we used as a maximum). On page 28, he includes several pictures of Charles Darwin as a monkey (if this was the current US president, who hasn't done HALF as much for the world and scientific community as Darwin, the media would be irrate). And if Hitler believed in Evolution, then so what? That doesn't prove that Evolution is evil, or that it doesn't exist.

I don't even want to see what this idiot did to the rest of the text.

#396611 - 09/30/09 09:07 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Quaark]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Daark
If you can stand the self-righteous militant atheism AND the over-the-top Good Guy Egalitarian Humanism there, richarddawkins.net has some of the finest, funniest, most logical, knowledgeable, and ruthlessly precise science-oriented minds on the entire web.

Thank you for sharing the info, Reverend Daark. Some of the militant Atheists are as bad or often worse as their spiritual opponents. Each is good for a laugh or two though.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#396614 - 09/30/09 09:40 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Ah, but I think you might misunderstand me here. I meant not to underline their faults, which are instantly and glaringly obvious to Satanists, but to highlight that amongst the retarded drivel that is 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the Internet, there are actually quite a few VERY sharp minds there in one convenient spot, debating in peak heated form with fundy retards and religionist apologists, and it can be fun and funny and educational to read.

And ONE truly brilliant mind, he has a blue butterfly avatar.

#396620 - 09/30/09 11:10 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Quaark]
Lust Offline

I see what you mean.

And Noted
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#396634 - 10/01/09 01:46 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Daydreamer]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Daydreamer
While grammatically correct, the false information and blatant arguments for (un)intelligent design make me want to scream. Combine that with the HUGE amount of information, including several pictures that do not match the text, that he just copastaed from other sources (much more than my AP English teacher suggested we used as a maximum). On page 28, he includes several pictures of Charles Darwin as a monkey (if this was the current US president, who hasn't done HALF as much for the world and scientific community as Darwin, the media would be irrate). And if Hitler believed in Evolution, then so what? That doesn't prove that Evolution is evil, or that it doesn't exist.

Which is only further proof that he really has no grounds for arguments. He has to reduce himself to images of Darwin as a monkey.

Is this not what we would find drawn in the notebooks of Christian teenage-angst?

It will hit home with the people it was meant to hit home with, and no one else:idiots.

And more power to them. They can go on being stupid, and masturbating with laughter over their "victory in Christ's blood" over Darwin's gifts to science. The less they learn, the more they pray, and the more able to succeed those who WORK for success will become.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements