Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396080 - 09/26/09 05:36 PM Father of Evolution turns in his grave
Lust Offline

24 November, 2009 will mark the 150Th anniversary of Charles Darwin' Origin of the Species. Origin introduced the theory that populations over time evolve by a process called natural selection. Today I learned that Christian Minister Ray Comfort has in fact wrote a 50 page introduction that is included in the 150Th Anniversary Edition of Origin of the Species.

He plans to hand out free copies of the book at Universities across the United States. He contends that " evolution has no support, brainwashes people, and has a direct connection to Adolph Hitler." It is my opinion that Christian fanatics will be on the rise again as they try to keep their dieing religion alive by any means that will draw attention.

Click Here to read the entire story.

Thoughts?
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#396082 - 09/26/09 05:58 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
mb_goatis Offline

Loc: Dallas area, TX
The only thing I can do now is:

/facepalm.

#396089 - 09/26/09 06:57 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: mb_goatis]
Azathoth Offline

Sounds like a good way to get my hands on a book I've been meaning to read.

#396090 - 09/26/09 07:01 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Yes. Accept the free copy, rip out the fifty page introduction.

But that's not all.

Eat ten bean and cheese burritos. Don't mind the pain, it's worth it. Take the ten burrtio dump, and wipe your ass with Banana Man's "introduction". grin

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#396093 - 09/26/09 07:28 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: mb_goatis]
Mango Offline

I actually did this before reading your post.

#396094 - 09/26/09 07:59 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Azathoth]
Lust Offline

I would recommend visiting the library instead. I read that it is possible that parts of this edition of Origin may have been edited by those with the agenda.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#396100 - 09/26/09 09:16 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
Kirk Cameron is in on it too. Mike Seaver is the worst!

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#396106 - 09/26/09 11:41 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
I love collecting moronic and offensive christian and anti-Satanic propaganda. All the better when it's free.

#396109 - 09/27/09 12:27 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
cheryablinsk70 Offline

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
I would recommend visiting the library instead. I read that it is possible that parts of this edition of Origin may have been edited by those with the agenda.

Yes, it is an "abridged" edition that may have some edits in it that are not in line with Darwin's ideas.

It's amusing to see how Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron are fine with doing this kind of thing, when if someone decided to add a 50 page "introduction" to the Christian bible and make a few choice edits of their own, they would be outraged and call "religious discrimination".

-Eisbrecher, Wikommen im Nichts

#396111 - 09/27/09 12:45 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
MJT Offline

Loc: S.I,N.Z.
Quote:
...it is possible that parts of this edition of Origin may have been edited by those with the agenda.

I'm surprised that this can even be legal. I cannot think of any more gross violation of someone's work than to legally re-publish it with an introduction by someone who's own ideas run contradictory to the work itself, and to further insult the author and work by removing sections of it.

#396112 - 09/27/09 01:01 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: MJT]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: MJT
I cannot think of any more gross violation of someone's work than to legally re-publish it with an introduction by someone who's own ideas run contradictory to the work itself, and to further insult the author and work by removing sections of it.

It can also provide ammo for the intended opponent. The only edition of "Mein Kampf" available in mainstream stores (in Colorado as of 2006) has an intro by a Jew who mocks Hitler non-stop with half-assed jokes and feeble emotional statements. What a great way to show NeoNazis that they're right about Jews, that they lie about Hitler, that they censor his writings, that they are in control of publishing in America and out to fool the world. Given a smart, neutral intro, Mein Kampf would be a good study tool for everyone interested in what happened, but thanks to this petty assault on a dead man's work, Mein Kampf now has a new reason to hate Jews: The idiot Jew who translated it wrong and mocked Hitler's word choice.

I can't help but think the outrage caused by this new Darwin hack-job will backfire against the Christians too afraid to present it intact. Also worth checking out is a book called "The Lie: Evolution," which, though trying to be very serious, rivals Douglas Adams for laughs.

#396113 - 09/27/09 01:03 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
Azathoth Offline

Originally Posted By: Delta
I love collecting moronic and offensive christian and anti-Satanic propaganda. All the better when it's free.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's still worth the entertainment value if they distorted it in any way.

#396114 - 09/27/09 01:48 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: cheryablinsk70]
Diwanna Offline

Originally Posted By: cheryablinsk70

Yes, it is an "abridged" edition that may have some edits in it that are not in line with Darwin's ideas.

It's amusing to see how Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron are fine with doing this kind of thing, when if someone decided to add a 50 page "introduction" to the Christian bible and make a few choice edits of their own, they would be outraged and call "religious discrimination".

I'm not really surprised at the hypocrisy. I just heard of a Jewish tradition going on right now just before Yom Kippur. Orthodox Jews will go to a street corner where they can buy a chicken. They then take the chicken, swing it around their head 3 times while chanting their sins into the poor bird. Then the bird is slaughtered! Why is it that Satanists get a bad (and false) rap about sacrificing animals and whatnot, but the Jews can do it each year in public, on the streets of New York and wherever else, as part of their festival. It disgusts me!

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#396115 - 09/27/09 01:57 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

The only edition of "Mein Kampf" available in mainstream stores (in Colorado as of 2006) has an intro by a Jew who mocks Hitler non-stop with half-assed jokes and feeble emotional statements.

Was that the edition translated by Ralph Manheim? I got a copy of that in 2003. That's right. I was reading Hitler when I was thirteen. coopdevil

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#396116 - 09/27/09 02:11 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: NapalmNick]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Nick: Yes, the Manheim translation with Foxman's intro. When I was 13 I just watched Star Trek. Not even the related nazi planet episode, just Next Generation.

Diwanna: Admittedly I don't know everything about the religion of my youth, but I have never heard of Jews, even the orthodox nutcases in my extended family, swinging chickens over their heads. The typical tradition for getting rid of sins involves throwing bread crumbs into a river. Where did you hear the chicken thing? I'd love to add it to my list of things to debate with my father.

#396117 - 09/27/09 02:42 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Yes. I was reading the diary of Anne Frank for school, and I wanted a different perspective. grin

I caught more than a few glares when I'd pull it out for leisure reading! crossbones coopdevil crossbones

#396119 - 09/27/09 02:47 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
Diwanna Offline

I heard about it on NPR today. It's called Kapparot or Atonement. There's some debate where some practitioners think that in this day and age they should swing money around their heads, but apparently the chicken is still how most do it. I guess the city of Brooklyn has been fining the rabbis who sell the chickens because they are leaving the streets bloody when it's done.Picture taken from www.torahtots.com which was the first link I found.

#396120 - 09/27/09 02:47 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: NapalmNick]
Azathoth Offline

Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Yes. I was reading the diary of Anne Frank for school, and I wanted a different perspective. grin

I caught more than a few glares when I'd pull it out for leisure reading! crossbones coopdevil crossbones

I'm surprised that you didn't get dragged to the principal's office given the PC climate in most schools.

#396121 - 09/27/09 02:58 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Azathoth]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Well, you have to understand that almost everyone in my school was White. There were a few Indian kids here and there, and I think maybe one Black kid.

My Jewish friend thought it was hilarious.

Even though I did get dirty looks, nobody really said anything to me about it. I think I got a few comments from teachers asking why I was reading it, and when I answered that I wanted as many perspectives as possible they actually encouraged me!

#396123 - 09/27/09 04:57 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: NapalmNick]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Your Satanic-Jewish friend is amused too. My parents encourage all reading, but this one I read somewhat in secret: Even if they never admitted or thought they'd be offended, I'd still catch that look of disapproval in their eyes that only parents can give.

#396124 - 09/27/09 04:59 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Diwanna]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Thank you for mentioning it, I had never even imagined such a thing from the orthodox jews in this day and age. Indeed it seems some worthless religious fucktards still do that shit (As recently as 2005 at least), even though rabbis since Maimonides condemned it. They deserve to be hurtled around by their necks three times then get their throats slit. The injury of animals for religion is just about the lowest a human being can get. There are no words obscene enough to describe these fucking cunts.

#396150 - 09/27/09 01:40 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Geez, you'd think people would stop listening to this guy after the famous banana argument. Maybe people just view him as a train wreck at this point.

Originally Posted By: cheryablinsk70

Well there we go, then: release free copies of the Bible with an introduction by Richard Dawkins. coopdevil

I can't help but think the outrage caused by this new Darwin hack-job will backfire against the Christians too afraid to present it intact.

No doubt we'll be seeing plenty of websites, YouTube clips, and Amazon.com reviews pointing out the flaws in Comfort's bogus claims. Though in general, the efforts of creationists have ironically gotten more laymen to read up on biology. I hope this backfires tenfold.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#396157 - 09/27/09 02:23 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Well there we go, then: release free copies of the Bible with an introduction by Richard Dawkins. coopdevil

I would not expect others to show courtesy for someone else's work and would go as far to call MR. Comfort a vandal. I equate him with the trash who spray paints graffiti on public areas. Would Richard Dawkins write an introduction for the Holy Bible? I have viewed him as a man of ethics and on first guess would say no, but anything is possible. If he were to do so I admit that it would be good for a laugh but would then associate him with the likes of MR. Comfort.

"The King James Version of the Holy Bible is in the Public Domain. You can publish, copy, distribute it for free, or sell it, all without having to ask any one's permission." Source

I can't help but think the outrage caused by this new Darwin hack-job will backfire against the Christians too afraid to present it intact.

No doubt we'll be seeing plenty of websites, YouTube clips, and Amazon.com reviews pointing out the flaws in Comfort's bogus claims. Though in general, the efforts of creationists have ironically gotten more laymen to read up on biology. I hope this backfires tenfold.

I imagine it will with the many but among the followers it is gas on the fire. On a lighter note - Ever since reading this I can not get that silly "ring ring banana phone" jingle out of my head. I think High Priestess Nadramia called it an ear-worm?

#396216 - 09/27/09 08:54 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
Diwanna Offline

What I hope will happen will these college kids will read the 50 page intro talking about Father God willing the Universe into existence, creating man, then woman out of a rib, and the whole world is happy go lucky until a snake talks to woman and convinces her and man to eat an apple that makes them see their nakedness and royally peeves off their creator. Then the reader will go into the real book which will explain in scientific terms the concepts origins and evolution. If you read them side by side with a relatively open mind, who would possible believe the first over the second.

#396250 - 09/28/09 07:55 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
WolfMoon Offline

So this minister has written an introduction to a book in which he does not support it's material? zombie

That is simply ridiculous.

That is equivalent to a Satanist writing a 50 page introduction to the Holy Bible!

#396252 - 09/28/09 08:01 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
WolfMoon Offline

Quote:
Well there we go, then: release free copies of the Bible with an introduction by Richard Dawkins.

Looks like you beat me to it! Even though Richard Dawkins is not a Satanist...

#396273 - 09/28/09 12:09 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Diwanna]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: Diwanna
What I hope will happen will these college kids will read the 50 page intro talking about Father God willing the Universe into existence, creating man, then woman out of a rib, and the whole world is happy go lucky until a snake talks to woman and convinces her and man to eat an apple that makes them see their nakedness and royally peeves off their creator. Then the reader will go into the real book which will explain in scientific terms the concepts origins and evolution. If you read them side by side with a relatively open mind, who would possible believe the first over the second.

Actually, the most probable thing is people will get bored after reading the few first pages of the preacher's drivel and they won't read the rest of the book at all.

In the case of the most recalcitrant religious fundamentalists, they will get the book ONLY for the preacher's introduction and they will not read Darwin's work at all.

In my personal case, I already have the book, so I couldn't care less about this ridiculous farce.

#396277 - 09/28/09 01:00 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
By the by, has anyone seen Ben Stein's "Expelled" 'documentary' on evolution and ID?

It's so ludicrous, so plainly deceptive and obviously manipulative, and so clumsily made, I actually came away with respect for Michael Moore!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#396315 - 09/28/09 07:03 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: TrojZyr]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
By the by, has anyone seen Ben Stein's "Expelled" 'documentary' on evolution and ID?

It's so ludicrous, so plainly deceptive and obviously manipulative, and so clumsily made, I actually came away with respect for Michael Moore!

I never saw it, but I saw an interesting thing about it.

Back when that movie came out I worked at FedEx and I had the opportunity of seeing several movies promotion material and even the actual reels being delivered to theaters. Usually movies come accompanied by posters and other advertising stuff.

I found very interesting that this particular movie was delivered accompanied with an unusual amount of additional material like pamphlets and quiz-like forms to be filled by viewers. Of course, there is only so much information you can learn from the outside of the packages, but the impression I got is there was some kind of interactive experience where the public would not only watch the movie but participate, discuss and go home with reading material.

I dont know if those packages were destined to all theaters, or it was destined to some special viewings (like in Churches or religious meetings, perhaps?) But one thing is obvious to me: the whole thing was not just a movie, but an elaborate propaganda campaign.

#396323 - 09/28/09 07:58 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Old_Pig]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
Actually, the most probable thing is people will get bored after reading the few first pages of the preacher's drivel and they won't read the rest of the book at all.

In the case of the most recalcitrant religious fundamentalists, they will get the book ONLY for the preacher's introduction and they will not read Darwin's work at all.

I am thinking that The 700 Club will run a raise money for Comfort campaign and thousands of Christians will once again be fleeced. After all Pat Robertson is the true Antichrist. eek

Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
In my personal case, I already have the book, so I couldn't care less about this ridiculous farce.

Excellent point.

#396333 - 09/28/09 09:04 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: TrojZyr]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

I've seen a few scenes, but I don't know if I could stomach the whole thing. Though there's a website "Expelled: Exposed" that debunks Stein's claims, if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#396453 - 09/29/09 06:43 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Fun fact: See Ben addressing that auditorium packed full of "college students"? The vast majority of those "students" were PAID EXTRAS. Pepperdine University said that only a scant few of its own students attended Stein's speech.

Another Fun Fact: They totally butcher Darwin's quote from The Descent of Man, and quote it out of context. I believe wikipedia has the full quote on its "Expelled" page.

Me, I saw red when they started to mock one of the scientists for saying that the building blocks of life could've formed on the backs of crystals. Talk about anti-intellectualism at its worst!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#396512 - 09/30/09 04:59 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: TrojZyr]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Another Fun Fact: They totally butcher Darwin's quote from The Descent of Man, and quote it out of context. I believe wikipedia has the full quote on its "Expelled" page.

Oh yes, creationists are notorious for quote-mining. Especially that line from Origin of Species about the human eye. This page has good collection of the quotes most often used, and what they look like when taken in their full context.

#396514 - 09/30/09 05:21 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The simple fact is that anyone who bothers to really read up on evolution would be hard pressed to find a way to debunk it. The evidence is more massively built up in favor of this theory than nearly any scientific theory I can think of; maybe plate tectonics? After all, it becomes inexplicable as to why god would create dozens, hundreds, thousands of species almost alike but just barely different. Was he so out of ideas that he just decided to vary the same theme on every fucking island and valley and level of the canopy? Nor do any other "theories" support the evidence.

I think the comparison to plate tectonics is a good one. It's quite complex in full explanation, but in lay terms it is unusually easy to comprehend and verify as reasonable.

Amusing to me though that the only way creationists can hope to debate this is by referring to the originator work that is over a century old and was written before modern genetics were even discovered. Sort of like disputing astrophysics based on Copernicus.

#396522 - 09/30/09 07:31 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: WolfMoon]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
Richard Dawkins has another book on evolution that was released on September 22nd. My copy arrived this week:

"The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution".

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Show-Eart...3688&sr=8-1

#396530 - 09/30/09 09:31 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Atreus
Richard Dawkins has another book on evolution that was released on September 22nd. My copy arrived this week:

"The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution".

Thanks for the reminder; I've been meaning to pick that up. I'm curious to see how it compares with his earlier evolution-for-the-layman book, The Blind Watchmaker.

#396534 - 09/30/09 10:02 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
I haven't started reading it yet. It has little pockets of glossy illustrations that I flipped through when it arrived. It is taunting me greatly on my coffee table.

I just began "The End of Time" by Julian Barbour. So that has my current focus.

Dawkins is a favorite of mine. I really enjoyed "The Ancestor's Tale". There is a new illustrated version of it that has been released, as well. "The Selfish Gene" changed the way I saw the behavior of all living things.

I enjoy books that change me...or damage me. devilchili

HS!

#396536 - 09/30/09 10:10 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I VERY rarely ever plug any other message boards here, but...

If you can stand the self-righteous militant atheism AND the over-the-top Good Guy Egalitarian Humanism there, richarddawkins.net has some of the finest, funniest, most logical, knowledgeable, and ruthlessly precise science-oriented minds on the entire web.

I've posted there quite a bit in the distant past and truly enjoyed my interactions there. Huge amounts of Satanism-relevant info and such. Worth perusing and possibly lurking.

#396554 - 09/30/09 12:54 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Bill_M]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
You would love Dawkins' new book, Bill. From what little I have already read it is full of really well reasoned and brilliant concepts that bolster evolution.

He even adds a bit of humor to it. Granted, no David Cross jokes.

It even has a few pretty colored pages for those more visual orientated folks.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

The first principle is that you must not fool yourselfand you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

#396571 - 09/30/09 04:05 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
I had never seen the banana illustration. Thanks to all who informed me, as I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while!

#396610 - 09/30/09 09:03 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: ArtAche86]
Daydreamer Offline

Loc: New York State
I hate that Comfort was even allowed to do something like this to such a wonderful book! I understand that the work is no longer held under copyright and that the first ammendment does allow certain freedoms when it comes to this kind of thing, but some (see all) of this man's claims are nothing but slander, false advertising, propaganda, and libel.

So far I haven't read his whole PDF introduction, but by page nine several things (several asinine things) have already reared up. He uses a quote from a child's website (that compares DNA and genetics to a book) to attempt to disprove Darwin's theories, stating that a book that complex and perfect must, of course, have been created by a higher power (AKA the Flying Spagetti Monster). He also explains that a worm is more complex than Mnt. Rushmore and a 747, both of which had designers.

The rest of it is just as stupid. While grammatically correct, the false information and blatant arguments for (un)intelligent design make me want to scream. Combine that with the HUGE amount of information, including several pictures that do not match the text, that he just copastaed from other sources (much more than my AP English teacher suggested we used as a maximum). On page 28, he includes several pictures of Charles Darwin as a monkey (if this was the current US president, who hasn't done HALF as much for the world and scientific community as Darwin, the media would be irrate). And if Hitler believed in Evolution, then so what? That doesn't prove that Evolution is evil, or that it doesn't exist.

I don't even want to see what this idiot did to the rest of the text.

#396611 - 09/30/09 09:07 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Quaark]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Daark
If you can stand the self-righteous militant atheism AND the over-the-top Good Guy Egalitarian Humanism there, richarddawkins.net has some of the finest, funniest, most logical, knowledgeable, and ruthlessly precise science-oriented minds on the entire web.

Thank you for sharing the info, Reverend Daark. Some of the militant Atheists are as bad or often worse as their spiritual opponents. Each is good for a laugh or two though.

#396614 - 09/30/09 09:40 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Ah, but I think you might misunderstand me here. I meant not to underline their faults, which are instantly and glaringly obvious to Satanists, but to highlight that amongst the retarded drivel that is 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the Internet, there are actually quite a few VERY sharp minds there in one convenient spot, debating in peak heated form with fundy retards and religionist apologists, and it can be fun and funny and educational to read.

And ONE truly brilliant mind, he has a blue butterfly avatar.

#396620 - 09/30/09 11:10 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Quaark]
Lust Offline

I see what you mean.

And Noted

#396634 - 10/01/09 01:46 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Daydreamer]
ArtAche86 Offline

Originally Posted By: Daydreamer
While grammatically correct, the false information and blatant arguments for (un)intelligent design make me want to scream. Combine that with the HUGE amount of information, including several pictures that do not match the text, that he just copastaed from other sources (much more than my AP English teacher suggested we used as a maximum). On page 28, he includes several pictures of Charles Darwin as a monkey (if this was the current US president, who hasn't done HALF as much for the world and scientific community as Darwin, the media would be irrate). And if Hitler believed in Evolution, then so what? That doesn't prove that Evolution is evil, or that it doesn't exist.

Which is only further proof that he really has no grounds for arguments. He has to reduce himself to images of Darwin as a monkey.

Is this not what we would find drawn in the notebooks of Christian teenage-angst?

It will hit home with the people it was meant to hit home with, and no one else:idiots.

And more power to them. They can go on being stupid, and masturbating with laughter over their "victory in Christ's blood" over Darwin's gifts to science. The less they learn, the more they pray, and the more able to succeed those who WORK for success will become.

#396689 - 10/01/09 02:55 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Delta]
PsychOff Offline

I heard that in America the new film about Charles Darwin: Creation isn't being released, no distributor wants to touch it. Are there any independent distributors on the case perhaps? I live in England so it's already released here, I feel sorry for you guys.

#396695 - 10/01/09 03:57 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: PsychOff]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
From Wikipedia:

"According to Jeremy Thomas, the United States was one of the last countries to find a distributor due to the prominence of the Creationevolution controversy.[4] On September 24, 2009, Variety reported that Newmarket Films acquired the rights to the movie and plans to release it in December in the US."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_(2009_film)

Every large American city have independent theaters that show (of course) independent films. I am sure this will be released in those theaters.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

The first principle is that you must not fool yourselfand you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

#402423 - 11/18/09 12:24 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
mb_goatis Offline

Loc: Dallas area, TX
Sorry to bring back a dead topic.

I go to school at University of North Texas in Denton. Today I was walking to my History class. There is a short cut to get there; you have to go pass what is called the "free speech" section, where normally they have preachers yelling at you to repent for your sins, yadda yadda yadda.

Well today, I was walking by and they were handing out actual books. Normally they hand out little jesus flyers. Someone offers me one, I ask what it is; they say The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. I am excited to see someone handing out something actually worth reading. I take it, and as I have it in my hand the man says "and it has an introduction by Ray Comfort!."

So, I just got a free copy of The Origin of Species! But, it's odd that a christian group is handing out this book. None the less, I will now put this in my reading list behind 5 other books... So many books, so little time wink

Edited by mb_goatis (11/18/09 06:18 PM)

#402492 - 11/18/09 09:20 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: mb_goatis]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: mb_goatis
Well today, I was walking by and they were handing out actual books. Normally they hand out little jesus flyers. Someone offers me one, I ask what it is; they say The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. I am excited to see someone handing out something actually worth reading. I take it, and as I have it in my hand the man says "and it has an introduction by Ray Comfort!."

I started thinking back on The Ninth Satanic Statement as I read your post and how evident it is in this case.

#402618 - 11/19/09 05:02 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
ArtAche86 Offline

I started thinking back on The Ninth Satanic Statement as I read your post and how evident it is in this case.

Holy Shit! That is a quite literal interpretaion,eh?

#402658 - 11/19/09 10:24 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.

He plans to hand out free copies of the book at Universities across the United States. He contends that " evolution has no support, brainwashes people, and has a direct connection to Adolph Hitler." It is my opinion that Christian fanatics will be on the rise again as they try to keep their dieing religion alive by any means that will draw attention.

Click Here to read the entire story.

Thoughts?

Yeah. If one sets a typical 100% devoted Christian and a Schizophrenic next to each other, what would be the difference between the two?

Both hear the booming male voice every now and then, both see spirits or "invisible people", both feel some weird "spiritual" feelings.

Both are really nuts and that guy you mention proves it... It's connected to Hitler? LOL!!!

That Christian has lost it!

Edited by LordOfDarkness (11/19/09 11:57 PM)
Edit Reason: Started a new topic

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#402925 - 11/22/09 10:32 AM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Lust]
Ramses501 Offline

Loc: PA
I find it disrespectful that any publisher would allow such an introduction to a great piece of work. Charles Darwin was a brilliant man and his findings and published info are based on natural obervation and study ONLY. Very sad!!!!

#402934 - 11/22/09 12:55 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Ramses501]
ArtAche86 Offline

I wouldn't worry too much about this, the only ones who will be fooled,are fools.

The only ones who will take what Mr. Banana Splits says as the unswayed word of God,already did,and always will.

Just look at as one less person standing in front of you where all the REAL literature is in B&N

#402936 - 11/22/09 02:05 PM Re: Father of Evolution turns in his grave [Re: Ramses501]
Lust Offline

Public Domain comes into play regarding the issue. Sounds a bit like Pirate Code or some other silly nonsense to me.

#404239 - 12/01/09 10:30 PM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Lust]
Lust Offline

I received a mailing from Abe Books today and thought it would be a nice addition to this thread.

The best part? No Banana Man! whistle

On the Origin of Species - the covers from 1859 to today

#407829 - 01/06/10 02:06 PM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Lust]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I'm late to the game on this one but I just ran across the video series on youtube that accompanies the book.

Video 1
The rest can be found in succession.

The woman in the the video actually mentions the words 'herd conformity' with regard to atheists in the first few minutes. smile

#407854 - 01/06/10 06:57 PM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Fnord]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Fnord
I'm late to the game on this one but I just ran across the video series on youtube that accompanies the book.

Wow, what a dumb cunt. I could maybe understand people being stupid enough to be creationists back before the discovery of DNA and (more importantly) before the rise of literacy rates. But you have to be really, really ignorant to be a creationist in the 21st century. Were they ALL absent from that day of 8th grade science class, when the teacher taught the difference between "hypothesis" and "theory"?

#407858 - 01/06/10 07:47 PM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Bill_M]
TheAbysmal Offline

From the first 10 seconds of the video, it is apparent they were absent when the teacher taught "conjecture".

But, then again, there are those parochial schools.

I went to one from 4th through 8th grade. The state hosted a Junior Academy of Science. Sixth through 8th grade were allowed and encouraged to attend. The idea was to formulate a hypothesis, formulate an experiment, test it, and reach a conclusion. Evaluations of one's experiment occurred at school, regional, and state levels.

I hypothesized that one could alter the voltage of an electrical current. Never mind that I did not even know what the hell voltage was at that age. I picked it right out of the 6th grade science book. Had to work.

It did not.

I must have screwed something up. To this day, not sure what it was I screwed up, but I got a blue ribbon at the state level anyway.

My hypothesis was a theory.

It did not get any better through the eight grade, though next years solar water heater actually worked.

These people are just picking this shit right out of a book (or broadcast, other person that told them, etc).

And, it is not a theory, either.

It is not even mysticism.

Refuse to die.

#407890 - 01/07/10 12:20 AM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Fnord]
TECHNO Offline

Loc: -31.955658,115.859928
LOL I love the theme music

*I can't get past evolution, just can't get past evolution*

Thats gold.

#407914 - 01/07/10 08:46 AM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Bill_M]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Were they ALL absent from that day of 8th grade science class, when the teacher taught the difference between "hypothesis" and "theory"?

Evidently!

I don't know if anyone stuck it out and watched the whole thing, but there are parts where she talks about Lucy and Piltdown Man being largely scientific constructs ... all while wearing her sardonic little smile as if to insinuate that her belief, the one that says that Skydaddy pointed his finger and made everything, is really the most reasonable answer to the questions. Everyone knows evolution has problems/gaps/issues but at least it's not making stuff up out of whole cloth to fill in the gaps.

#407923 - 01/07/10 09:53 AM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Fnord]
Skjalandir Offline

Loc: England
I tried to watch more of the video, but I felt a little bit like I was being sodomized.
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#407925 - 01/07/10 10:14 AM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Fnord]
Ms. Harlot Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Creationists make me want to laugh, cry, and throw things all at the same time. That video just...gah! It pissed me off in a way I can't even describe.

While searching for the original "Banana" video, I found this video in which Comfort apologized for the inaccuracy of his argument. He then turned around and started making even more ludicrous arguments. *headdesk*

Keep in mind, this is a video from Comfort's page. Sometimes I think the best arguments against Creationists, Fundamentalists, and other bigots are their own videos, like "The Storm Is Coming" Anti-Gay Marriage ad.

I go to school at University of North Texas in Denton.
Small world, heh. grin

Edited by Ms. Harlot (01/07/10 10:21 AM)

#407945 - 01/07/10 02:49 PM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Ms. Harlot]
ArtAche86 Offline

LMAO@1:52 into this film.This is what happens when a retard tries to save another retard from a fire (no offense to the mentally handicapped.They of course didn't CHOOSE their ignorance)

"God did the same for big dogs,so that they could fit in his car,and with wild cats,so they would be perfectly fit for his wife."

It sickens me to see Xtian women that actually know their slavery role in the holy babble,and actually love it.

#407965 - 01/07/10 04:53 PM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Fnord]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Fnord
there are parts where she talks about Lucy and Piltdown Man being largely scientific constructs

And of course they overlook the simple fact that hoaxes like Nebraska Man and Piltdown Man were exposed by...[drumroll]...scientists, not creationists.

Quote:
Everyone knows evolution has problems/gaps/issues but at least it's not making stuff up out of whole cloth to fill in the gaps.

I'm so sick of the solipsism argument ("Well we can't know anything with 100% certainty, therefore that's all still a guess.") My default response to it is "Boy, I sure hope you're never picked for jury duty!"

On a lighter note, here's a debunking of a popular Jack Chick tract:
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Big_Daddy%3F_%28Chick_tract%29

#407971 - 01/07/10 06:38 PM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Fnord]
Lust Offline

Geez! The woman says that the Holy Bible has been proven as truth by archeology and prophecy. What about the false prophecies of Jesus? Click Here

#408001 - 01/08/10 02:08 AM Re: Alternatives of course [Re: Lust]
ArtAche86 Offline

Rev.22:20
"Surely I come quickly."

The REAL reason he stayed a virgin?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics