Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#39680 - 05/13/04 04:30 AM A Ponderable Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Feel free to scroll straight to the question at the bottom, the rest is for explain any questions that might arise.

I am writing this post simply because I have been trying to answer a question that I asked myself and it's really had me thinking about beliefs in general. I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way in that I can see how that could happen. I'm not trying to change anyone or anything, including myself. I just feel that if I've required others to answer it, I should chew on it myself.

Often when talking to Xtians about beliefs, most often in non-confrontational conversations, I like to ask them one question. "If I could prove to you beyond any doubt that there is and never has been such a thing as "God" what would you do?" I've learned that strong people will say that they would be happy because all of the things they felt they needed someone's aid with they did alone. Meanwhile, weaker people either argue it so that there's no point, or express sadness because there is no longer someone looking over them. I one night asked myself what I would do if someone proved to me that there is a god out there. This is something that I almost can't fathom. I don't know if it's because I'm so sure that it's untrue, or if there's another reason. But I can't figure out what is making this question so impossible to answer. I guess that the information would force me to reconsider so much that it would almost be like becoming another person entirely. Although I'm sure there is no such being as "god" if I'm wrong then oh well. I wasted part of my life looking for it, if he is out there he obviously doesn't give a shit about me finding him. I'll continue to live my life just as it is, yet I can't say what I'd do if proven wrong because the idea is so crazy. But if you are going to have an opinion you should be strong in it and the best way to strengthen something to by testing it.

The Question: "What would you do if it could be proven to you beyond any doubt that there is a "God"?"
This isn't asking you to question what you believe, but only to try and answer how you would react if this could somehow be proven to you. Any opinions other than telling me what you think I believe are welcomed.

DatheR

#39681 - 05/13/04 04:40 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
The Question: "What would you do if it could be proven to you beyond any doubt that there is a "God"?"

It has been proven to me beyond any reasonable doubt. It is knowledge that I possess, not a belief I trust in.

...but only to try and answer how you would react if this could somehow be proven to you.

My reaction was one of great happiness and amusement. You may see my editorial in the latest issue of SMAG (avaliable at the CoS Emporium ). It is entitled, "Give it to me Straight Doctor, I can Take it." although the original title was, "How I Found God."

#39682 - 05/13/04 04:49 AM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Josephine007]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thank you for your responce, but you being "god" to yourself and of yourself isn't quite what I was asking about. In this case the "god" in question is a spiritual and non-physical being which has not only the ability to think but also is somehow able to live up to all of the legends and myths of monotheistic religeons. The day I don't see god then I look into the mirror is the day I end it all.

DatheR

#39683 - 05/13/04 04:53 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
Quote:

What would you do if it could be proven to you beyond any doubt that there is a "God"?

Well, I wouldn't "do" anything special.

It wouldn't change my life, because it wouldn't change what I am.

This question is irrelevant.

#39684 - 05/13/04 05:07 AM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Jack_Bauer]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that you've answered it exactly as you should, but did you actually think about it and try to imagine that to be true long enough to see if you'd actually just blow it off? Or did you just feel that it's something so outlandish that to imagine it is impossible? Imagination is a key tool to a Satanist, yet this idea seems to be impossible to imagine. More or less it's just something I've had in my head lately and I'm curious if other's could honestly say they could imagine it to be true and if they would change who they are because of it.

DatheR

#39685 - 05/13/04 05:15 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Nyarlathotep Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
If it were proven beyond a doubt that the Xtian God exists, then it still wouldn't be a matter of faith, would it? It would become fact.

Their god requires faith to exist. If their god became proven, then it would cease to exist.

Read The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams to see this in action.

"So now you'll see that evil will always triumph...because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

HAIL SATAN!!

#39686 - 05/13/04 05:16 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
It doesn't matter how long you think about it.

You are what you are. Nothing will change that.

Do you know who you are?

#39687 - 05/13/04 05:20 AM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Jack_Bauer]
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I didn't know who I was then this question would be answered without a problem. Anyone who knows who they are and have a firm sense of identity will be who they are no matter what happens. I guess in a sense this is the answer, yet I'd still like to see if anyone else has anything to add. This is a question without an answer, so trying to find one proves to either be annoying or entertaining.

DatheR

#39688 - 05/13/04 05:30 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Powaqqatsi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Hungary
If I would learn that there is a supernatural being, who controls everything and who couldn't be affected against his own will (so this God is omnipotent), then it is reasonable to assume that this God is in the business for quite a some time, he was in his position long before I was born. So if he wouldn't want me to live like I live now, he could tell/command me to change my life. It would be easy if the God is omnipotent, although I don't think that I would obey to a mere burning bush, so he would have to conjure up some more interesting agent or avatar for me. (To be fair I have to confess that I would sooner think that I am in some simulation, like the Matrix, than to accept as a fact that there's Someone out there.)

My conclusion is that this God is either uninterested in me, or that he accepts me as I am. So there's no need to worry or to change anything.

P.s.: I would be REALLY interested to see how he would resolve the problem of creating a rock as big that even he couldn't lift it...

#39689 - 05/13/04 06:52 AM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Nyarlathotep]
Neko Offline
CoS Member

Douglas Adams is awesome! I love his books.

The Temple | The Elite

#39690 - 05/13/04 06:58 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Neko Offline
CoS Member

If God really did exist and it was proven to me beyond doubt, then I would stab that asshole in the face with a sharp and pointy stick. Or at least try to.

The Temple | The Elite

#39691 - 05/13/04 08:19 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Steve_79 Offline

Loc: WI
The only way i can answer this is by saying that if it was proven, then we must be able to converse with him. So now we could ask all of the questions about why we are here, where we go when we die, and any other questions that were previously answered by "faith." In my opinion, however, that would take the fun out of living. If we all KNEW we were either going to Heaven or Hell when we die, some would either kill themselves trying to get there, or live in fear of ever dying. As for me, I understand where you are coming from, but when people ask me what I think is going to happen when I die, I have to say, "Well, I'll find out when I get to that point." Because there is no point in changing your life if you are having a wonderful time!!

Steve_79

#39692 - 05/13/04 09:11 AM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Nyarlathotep]
mattevans Offline

Loc: Japan
If you were told there was somebody in a room which you couldn't see into because the door was closed then whether you believe it or not is a matter of faith. You then open the door and see that there is someone in the room. Do they stop existing?

#39693 - 05/13/04 09:19 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
mattevans Offline

Loc: Japan
First I'd have to get myself checked for insanity and make sure that nobody had spiked my drink.
If it did turn out only that god existed then no problem I wouldn't change a thing. If it turned out that heaven and hell really existed then I don't know. Do you think that god would take a bribe?

#39694 - 05/13/04 09:27 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Just God?
Why not fairies?
or goblins?
or chupacabras?
Quote:

I one night asked myself what I would do if someone proved to me that there is a god out there. This is something that I almost can't fathom. I don't know if it's because I'm so sure that it's untrue, or if there's another reason.

What's this 'other' reason?
I could take a shot in the dark,but I'd probably hit you right between the eyes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406073 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements