Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#39695 - 05/13/04 09:53 AM Re: A Ponderable Question
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Define 'God'
The fact that you capitalize the word leads me to believe you mean it in the modern judeo-christian mythological sense. If that warrants serious thought to you, you may be on the wrong boards.

But in the name of humor, I will say if the mythological god of the torah were to somehow be proven to exist and demanded subserviance and worship, i would probably give him the finger and continue life as usual.
I think norse legend would be much more fun, though.
See you on the battle feilds of valhalla!
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#39696 - 05/13/04 10:06 AM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Dan_Dread]
mattevans Offline

Loc: Japan
"If that warrants serious thought to you, you may be on the wrong boards."
Really? Here I was thinking that Satanism was about giving serious thought to anything you have an opinion on. Giving the matter serious thought is how I came to the conclusion that there is no external deity.
Maybe I shouldn't have thought about it. Maybe I should just blindly believe everything that anyone tells me.
Or maybe I should carry on thinking, studying, learning and enjoying life as I see fit.

#39697 - 05/13/04 12:06 PM Re: A Ponderable Question
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Assuming you mean a white light god...

I would hope there's also a Satan waiting in Hell who has been hosting the most magnificent party in existence for centuries and will welcome me when I arrive.

#39698 - 05/13/04 01:35 PM Re: A Ponderable Question
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
A stupid question which is trying to bait us.

What if? How so? If it? blah, blah, blah.

Next contestant, please.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#39699 - 05/13/04 02:38 PM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Dan_Dread]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"God" is capitalized simply because it's a proper noun when used as a name not a title.

DatheR

#39700 - 05/13/04 03:14 PM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: mattevans]
Nyarlathotep Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
But does that someone require faith to exist?

"So now you'll see that evil will always triumph...because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

HAIL SATAN!!

#39701 - 05/13/04 04:07 PM Re: A Ponderable Question
Autumn Offline
CoS Member

Loc: United States
Throughout the ages, man has always felt the need to believe in something bigger and better than he is. Something/someone to solve all the unsolvable problems or straighten out all the messes man has made, or cure all the uncurable diseases. People are impatient and science takes too long.

Sometimes people pray or perform a traditional act within the society in which they live just because it makes them feel better.
If it doesn't work, they can always say god wasn't listening to them today (cynically said).

So, to your question, I don't think it's possible to prove there is a god. For those who believe in god, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe in god, no explanation is possible.

Edited by Autumn (05/13/04 04:16 PM)

#39702 - 05/13/04 04:21 PM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Nyarlathotep]
mattevans Offline

Loc: Japan
No. They exist with or without faith. Just as god would if god was real. God only needs faith to exist because it is nothing more than a concept. If god existed then god would exist with or without faith.

#39703 - 05/13/04 04:28 PM An Answer
Citizen_Parker Offline
CoS Member

I read your post, and sighed. I knew immediately what kind of replies you would receive.

So, I'll be original, and actually answer your question, regardless of what I think are your reasons for asking.

If it could be proven to me that a spiritual god existed, what would I do? That would depend on the circumstances in which its existance was proven to me.

If I were forced to conclude its existence as a matter of philosophy or reason, but this god did not change its policy of exhibiting no physical prowess nor evidence of its influence, then its existance would be of no consequence to my life. I would ignore it unless it became reasonable to do otherwise, and continue living as always.

However, if it proved itself by taking physical shape, walking down the street shooting balls of fire out of its eyes at "sinners," I would take a more active interest in its goals and thoughts.

In either case, I would probably seek the "true" explanations on such things as an afterlife and the god's actual desires, influence, etc., either out of philosophical curiosity or practical knowledge to maintain personal well-being.

Theological debate holds no interest now because it's meaningless, circular, and never gets anywhere. I can't even enjoy it for the simple pleasure of working through an argument or string of reasoning. That would change should it become possible to reach some sort of conclusion, or if the argument held any practical use.

If this god were to make itself undeniably known to all, and the whole heaven/hell/god/devil thing was proven to be completely true (which, for various reasons, is impossible, but I understand you are asking if ), then I would do my best to uncover for myself what the real situation is, what each party really believes, likes, dislikes, what histories/myths/conflicts truly occurred and for what reasons, and then follow it all up with some sort of position.

In such a case, I'd probably end up giving this god the finger and living apart from the whole mess if possible, or possibly taking up an active opposition if unable to separate myself from the hoopla.

Overall, I would do what I felt was in my best interest, "divine right" be damned.

But, of course, none of this is anything but annoying fantasy.

Parker

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#39704 - 05/13/04 05:33 PM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: mattevans]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I supose you have seriously pondered the existance of the easter bunny as well?
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#39705 - 05/13/04 05:35 PM Re: An Answer [Re: Citizen_Parker]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Regardless you've answered in a way that properly deals with what I asked. It is just fantasy, but the only way to ever truely know something is to know it, forget it, then relearn it. This may be a bit of an Eastern idea but it still remains true based on my experiences. It's just a question of what would you do if everything you know is wrong, I often have a hard time believing that people wouldn't change their actions in some way if that where to happen. To those of us who have tried at some point to find something beyond this realm and failed I don't think that finding it now would make a difference; we tried and obviously we didn't matter to this diety then so why should we change now just because he's finally ready to be around. It's like having the father that abandoned you as a child show up at your front door when you're in your fourties. Even knowing that he is there it wouldn't change anything due to the fact that he wasn't around in the past and therefore not worth your time or consideration now.

Like I said at the start, this is more or less just to see what people will say to this question. I'm not trying to bait anyone, nor can anyone here say anything to change my personal feelings.

DatheR

#39706 - 05/13/04 05:40 PM Re: A Ponderable Question [Re: Autumn]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's not what was asked, I don't need to hear what I already know. I know that there is no way to prove that something that doesn't exist actually does. Any Xtian will tell you that you need "faith" to believe in God, faith is just an easy way to give an answer that can't be proven wrong. Nothing is worse than having Mormons show up at your door, and after bothering to debate with them (I just happen to enjoy debate) and as soon as they start to see they don't have the answers to what you ask they use the word "faith." Once that card is played there's nothing left to do but shut the door.

DatheR

#39707 - 05/13/04 06:26 PM Re: A Ponderable Question
Autumn Offline
CoS Member

Loc: United States
You replied, "Any Xtian will tell you that you need "faith" to believe in God".

Then surely you understood my answer to your question, and that indeed I did answer the question you originally asked.

#39708 - 05/13/04 08:16 PM God is real?
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
So you are asking me that if it could be proven that the Judeo-Islamic-Christian deity, YHVH-Allah-Jehovah, the manic-depressive, homocidal maniac of legend and lore, were real what would I do?

Keep a low profile!

#39709 - 05/13/04 08:20 PM A shocking confession. [Re: Dan_Dread]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I have seen the Easter Bunny.

And Santa Claus.

In shopping malls.

But never at the same time.

Could they be one and the same?

Like Clark Kent and Superman?

Deep thoughts.