Topic Options
#397312 - 10/07/09 12:53 AM CoS on alcohol
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I was wondering why the Church of Satan has a strict no drug policy, but says alcohol is ok.

Granted there are a lot of drugs way worse for you than simple booze, but I'm not getting why the CoS drew the line at alcohol.
It is a type of drug, and you can still abuse it, be addicted to it, make incredibly poor decisions while under its effects, and be subjected to its ramifications, just like an illicit substance.

I'm hoping for a bit of clarification on this issue.

All responses are appreciated

Hail Satan!
-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#397316 - 10/07/09 02:24 AM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
The health consequences of what we put into our own bodies are our own lookout.

But drugs are illegal. And we do not condone illegal activity.

It's quite simple.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#397324 - 10/07/09 04:32 AM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The question has been asked dozens of times in this very forum.

Bottom line is that it is not illegal, and the same rules of "indulgence not compulsion" that apply to everything else likewise apply to alcohol. Irreponsible alcohol abuse is discouraged.

#397339 - 10/07/09 09:03 AM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#397396 - 10/07/09 03:38 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Phineas]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

From Magistra Nadramia's post on drug use:
...The Satanist will not ruin or poison his or her body, even if it is legal to do so.

The thing about this statement, although I thoroughly agree with it, is where does one draw the line about what is and is not harmful?
There have been studies where alcohol has proven to be worse for you then marijuana. Like as this one:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-03-23-drug-study_N.htm

Now I'm not questioning the Church's stance on drugs, nor do I disagree with it. I guess what I'm looking for is, even though marijuana's been proven less harmful than alcohol and other legal drugs, such as tobacco, why the Church still says its against the rules. Is it because its illegal in America? Or is there something more that I'm simply not seeing?
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#397405 - 10/07/09 04:41 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:
Is it because its illegal in America?

Yes. We do not advocate violations of the law. How difficult is this concept to fathom?

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#397406 - 10/07/09 04:44 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: MagisterRose]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Very difficult if you are drunk or high....

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#397407 - 10/07/09 04:45 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: MagisterRose]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Im referring to other countries where it is legal.

And by 'is it because its illegal in America' I meant because its illegal where the Church was formed, it is viewed as illegal in the rest of the world as well?
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#397410 - 10/07/09 04:52 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

It is legal where it is legal, it is not where it is not.

#397411 - 10/07/09 04:52 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Phineas]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Im neither, nor have I ever been, nor do I intend to ever be high and/or drunk. Im only concerned with other countries where these drugs are legal. Why is the Churches stance on drugs in countries where it is legal to get high and what not still no?

I fully understand why the Church frowns upon illegal activities, and that use of marijuana and what have you are illegal in America. I also agree that getting high is a bad idea, as well as drinking alcohol in any real amount is too. I also think using tobacco at all is a bad idea due to the possible health concerns. And furthermore I understand that limited and controlled use of both of these substances pose very little risk for any negative consequence, but I still dont like the idea.

What this ultimately comes down to is my curiosity on the matter.
I'm not questioning the Church in its policy on drug use, I just want to know why it is the way it is.
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#397415 - 10/07/09 05:21 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Your answer has already been provided.

Re-read Magistra Nadramias post, that should settle it for you.

#397416 - 10/07/09 05:28 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Im referring to other countries where it is legal.
And by 'is it because its illegal in America' I meant because its illegal where the Church was formed, it is viewed as illegal in the rest of the world as well? <<

We expect all our members to comprehend and adhere to the laws of the country they reside in.

As has already been asked of you now (several times): just how fucking difficult can this be to understand?

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#397419 - 10/07/09 05:36 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Holy shit. Was this really so difficult?

The CoS does not permit violations of local laws anywhere in the world. If you dislike the local laws where you live, get the fuck out of there. For those currently living under truly oppressive governments where it is difficult to escape, you have our collective sympathies and best wishes getting somewhere that permits you to live as a civilized human being.

The CoS likewise STRONGLY suggests that you employ wisdom and moderation in anything - in context of what it is. Moderate alcohol use by a responsible adult has no particular ill effects. "Moderate" use of cocaine and paint huffing on the other hand is probably ill advised regardless of legality where you live.

Seriously, how fucking hard can this be? Don't break the law, and don't be a moron. That's the CoS's stance.

#397422 - 10/07/09 05:44 PM Re: CoS on alcohol [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
don't be a moron.

Too late!
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

Forum Stats
12277 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404441 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements