Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#399567 - 10/26/09 12:06 AM Re: Speak of the Devil - The Canon of Anton LaVey [Re: mb_goatis]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Excellent! What you have learned will assist in honing your communication skills, which are an integral part of Lesser Magic.

Well done!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#399568 - 10/26/09 12:07 AM Re: Speak of the Devil - The Canon of Anton LaVey [Re: Original Sly]
Born Offline

Loc: Canada
I absolutely adore that film!
"In nomine dei nostri Satanas luciferi excelsi...
In the name of Satan, ruler of the Earth, King of Hell. Come forth and bestow the blessings of Hell upon us. For we are your children, and we invoke thee this night...

Brother Satan I call forth this night, all of your forces, attain me..the elevation..of the superior human animal.

We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will..the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist.

Be with us tonight, place us in a position of sovereignty, that we might look down upon our inferiors, and cast their kin into the morass of mediocrity, where they belong. Hail Satan! Shemhamforash!

To a return of understanding, an understanding of stability, an understanding of tranquility, an understanding of compassion, an understanding of vengeance, an understanding of sensuality, an understanding of love, and an understanding of triumph...

I recognize necessity supreme, life ever lasting, World without End...

So it is done."

~A.S.LaVey's Ritual Scene after the den.

I consider this movie one of my favorites of all time and have watched it countless times.
I found it highly effective in showing LaVey the man. I rather enjoyed the sneaky bit where the 'goofy teeth' novelty is shown in his Johnson & Smith catalog and quickly gives a 'before and after' when he had acquired his new dentures.

The man was truly a class act. Film quality is often a reflection of time period. Good films are timeless.

#399569 - 10/26/09 01:07 AM Re: Speak of the Devil - The Canon of Anton LaVey [Re: Original Sly]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I love the aesthetics of both films The Devil's Mass and Speak of the Devil.

It does say on the Church of Satan's sources page that official DVD copies are in production to be released with a few extras. Church of Satan Sources page.

#399594 - 10/26/09 08:56 AM Re: Speak of the Devil - The Canon of Anton LaVey [Re: Unknown]
DamienMocata Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Linenopolis
I hope when they release the DVD's that someone puts them as Region 0 or gives us an option for Region 2.

I know I could go and buy a brand spanking new region free player, but it's my old player and I like it.

Not every cage is made of bars.
"The Humanoid form makes an excellent concentrated protein. " - Davros
"You are a collection of probability fields. " - Me.

#399611 - 10/26/09 10:27 AM Re: Speak of the Devil - The Canon of Anton LaVey [Re: HellofallHells]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Yeah. I purchased my copy from Amazon some time ago, but I don't recall how much I paid either. It was probably somewhere in the $20-$30 range maybe, so this is quite a bargain!

I watch "Satanis" quite a bit, but I think I only watched the other feature, "Sinthia the Devil's Doll" once, and that was more than enough...

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#399647 - 10/26/09 03:55 PM Re: idiot [Re: Bill_M]
ROA Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Originally Posted By: ROA
I like the song that plays at the end credits of the video, does it have a name/can it be found outside this video?

Yes, it's "Mazurka From Masquerade" from the Georges Montalba 1958 album (A Hi-Fi Fantasy in) Pipe Organ and Percussion. This was a recording that got quite a cult following, but was finally released on CD combining that album and the other known Montalba recording, Pipe Organ Favorites. You can usually find it on eBay or buy a downloaded copy from Amazon.com.

It's widely believed that the organ player (or at least one of them) featured is in fact Anton LaVey, especially when you hear the particular phrasing. It wasn't unusual in those days for labels to pay a session musician a flat fee to record some stuff in the studio, then secretly release the recording under some pseudonym. Unfortunately, the moron who released the music on CD couldn't bear to believe that the music he loved could have been made by the founder of the Church of Satan, so he let his self-righteousness get the better of him, and printed some highly bogus liner notes, later debunked by Magistra Blanche Barton.

Good call! Aside from hearing it in Speak of the Devil, I am not really familiar with this kind of music, but now I am getting into it somewhat. As far as Mazurka From Masquerade goes, I also like Khachaturian’s version. It can be found on YouTube.

#399924 - 10/28/09 02:01 PM Re: idiot [Re: ROA]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:
I also like Khachaturian’s version. It can be found on YouTube.

Thanks, I just looked it up and heard it. It's interesting hearing the very different use of dynamics on that version.

While on the subject on this song, here's another trivia bit: it also shows up in House of 1000 Corpses when Captain Spaulding is doing one of his commercials.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#399933 - 10/28/09 02:59 PM Re: Speak of the Devil - The Canon of Anton LaVey [Re: mb_goatis]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
As the thread dies down, I'd just like to say that every time I hear the title "The Canon of Anton LaVey" I picture the Docktor with a Bazooka, and the image makes me smile. And thank you mb_goatis for being a good sport and let us proclaim our movie tastes at your expense.

#400403 - 11/01/09 05:15 AM Re: Speak of the Devil - The Canon of Anton LaVey [Re: Original Sly]
Maracova Offline

Loc: Australia
I really enjoyed the documentary.My favorite part of it was the mannequins and what Anton LaVey had to say about them.I found his work quite fascinating.I also think that what he had to say about perfection and flaws has become even more relevant with time.We now live in a world where people have botoxed all expression out of their faces and have become so "Plastic".I'm so glad he decided to share his artwork with us all.

#402298 - 11/17/09 05:07 PM Re: idiot [Re: Bill_M]
Born Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

While on the subject on this song, here's another trivia bit: it also shows up in House of 1000 Corpses when Captain Spaulding is doing one of his commercials.

Interesting you should mention this, Rob Zombie also uses a clip from Anton's Calliope session on a song in Hellbilly Deluxe called 'The Ballad of Resurrection Joe and Rosa Whore' as well! Also the chant from Satanis / The Omen later in the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXPf0eUOFg

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12163 Members
73 Forums
43922 Topics
405747 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements