Topic Options
#400518 - 11/02/09 11:41 AM Understanding Eugenics as it pertains to Satantism
thecuriouscat Offline

I understand what eugenics is, and I can see the many flaws in the theory/practice. Even Plato acknowledged that a person deemed "unfit" could produce "fit" children and vice versa.

My question is this: What is the Satanic view of eugenics? How does a Satanist decide if a person is capable of producing a "goodborn"? What are the factors (intellect, race, "morals")?

I wonder also if social Darwinism is more of a "let the weak die on their own" sort of view; which makes more sense than trying to guess which individuals would produce a strong person. Although, technology could be a great tool in achieving what seems to be the ideal practice of eugenics. Also, some children may have many health issues, or seem weak, but eventually grow into strong, capable, and intelligent persons; but, I digress.

#400615 - 11/03/09 01:56 PM Re: Understanding Eugenics as it pertains to Satantism [Re: thecuriouscat]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The Church of Satan has no official stance on political issues. Eugenics falls into that category. As astounding as it may be, given that every other religion, organization, and Joe Blow has to put his two cents in and demand that others agree, we do not.

Instead we suggest something far more demanding. Decide for yourself if there is any merit to eugenics. If, after careful consideration, you believe there is something worth discussing, by all means bring it to the public forum and discuss it (though I advise you to provide your own opinion as well when doing so, and not merely ask others for theirs; that's not very quid pro quo, now is it?).

#400650 - 11/03/09 05:34 PM Re: Understanding Eugenics as it pertains to Satantism [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
thecuriouscat Offline

Not sure if I am allowed to respond to answers to a question I asked, but I will anyway (if I am deleted, so be it).

This page: http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Feared.html, suggests that there is an "official" stance on eugenics. I gave as much of an opinion as I care to form on the subject when I stated, "I understand what eugenics is, and I can see the many flaws in the theory/practice."

Also, I wasn't asking anyone's personal opinion. I was merely trying to understand the Satanic view on eugenics better, as that one little paragraph doesn't really go into much detail. And, what doesn't seems like a fair exchange (or quid pro quo, as you put it) is your answer to my question; which seems more like a criticism for my even asking the question.

By the way, my purpose here is to understand Santanism better, not to impose an opinion on others or criticize beliefs, I hope that is not the impression you got from my question.

I'm assuming that this: "...we suggest something far more demanding. Decide for yourself if there is any merit to eugenics" is the true answer to my question, which would have sufficed on its own.

Edited by thecuriouscat (11/03/09 05:39 PM)

#400663 - 11/03/09 06:49 PM Re: Understanding Eugenics as it pertains to Satantism [Re: thecuriouscat]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

A fair exchange? I didn't see that you offered anything.

You asked a question in a forum that is exclusively for official (as in, not my personal opinion) answers concerning CoS policy. I gave you the only answer that is correct, that we do not take political stances. Eugenics on any level is a political question - and I should point out, High Priest Gilmore is quite permitted his own view, and to offer it up as food for thought. So far as I'm aware the essay you link is not a statement of official policy.

You're free to take that as criticism of raising the question if you like. I gave an official answer. If you seek personal opinions on it, ask in the public forums, though as I said, it's generally good form to offer your own opinion along with that, something most folks seem to neglect to do.

I am aware that this seems frustrating, but you cannot task the Priesthood with answering the CoS's stance on issues which the CoS does not have a stance on. Especially when any answer we give will almost certainly contradict the legitimate opinion of another member and thus not even be representative.

I'm assuming that this: "...we suggest something far more demanding. Decide for yourself if there is any merit to eugenics" is the true answer to my question, which would have sufficed on its own.

Yes, it is. Though I am at a loss for why you take exception to my suggestion that you'd get better answers in the public forum where individual members may voice their opinions.

#400695 - 11/04/09 12:31 AM Re: Understanding Eugenics as it pertains to Satantism [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
thecuriouscat Offline

I seem to have mistook the point of your reply.

Eugenics on any level is a political question - and I should point out, High Priest Gilmore is quite permitted his own view, and to offer it up as food for thought. So far as I'm aware the essay you link is not a statement of official policy.

Thank you for clarifying that as well; I assumed that the essay was a statement of official stances. I understand now that I was wrong.

Though I am at a loss for why you take exception to my suggestion that you'd get better answers in the public forum where individual members may voice their opinions.

Because, I am not interested in anyone's opinion.

As you can see, I have a lot to understand about Satanism; I am still trying to figure out whether or not there is any dogma within the Church of Satan; which was the reason for my asking the question.

Edited by thecuriouscat (11/04/09 12:41 AM)

#400708 - 11/04/09 01:33 AM Re: Understanding Eugenics as it pertains to Satantism [Re: thecuriouscat]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> As you can see, I have a lot to understand about Satanism; I am still trying to figure out whether or not there is any dogma within the Church of Satan <<

There is dogma within Satanism as a religion. It is encapsulated in the 11 Satanic Rules of The Earth, 9 Satanic Statements and 9 Satanic Sins.

But the CoS itself does not tell anyone what to think or do.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#450282 - 04/24/11 09:01 PM Re: Understanding Eugenics as it pertains to Satantism [Re: thecuriouscat]
Ashtar Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here.
All other replies will be deleted.

Edited by Daark (04/24/11 09:14 PM)

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements