Topic Options
#396026 - 09/26/09 05:46 AM Regarding the concept of magic
Zaige Offline

I have read the Satanic Bible and agree with at least 90% of its philosophy. One concept confuses me though. In one chapter, LaVey denounces praying as useless. He says that it makes what you wish for less likely to happen since you will be waiting for it and not doing something to actually achieve it. I couldn't agree more. But LaVey also seems to advocate the use of magic. This seems slightly hypocritical to me. Is magic not basically the same thing as praying (albeit with ceremonies)?

I have later seen a video on youtube where the current CoS leader, Peter Gilmore expresses that magic is really a means of releasing yourself from certain negative emotions that impede you in life. However, it seemed to me as if the actual Satanic Bible was written from the perspective of one who truly believes in the ability of magic to fulfill your desires. I suppose I have a few questions here. Do CoS members generally believe that magic works to help you achieve your goals? If not, is this because the CoSís views of magic has changed since LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible? And if CoS members truly do believe in the power of magic, can anyone explain how it is different from praying? This is really the only thing I have heard in the Satanic philosophy that truly confuses me.

Edited by Zaige (09/26/09 05:47 AM)

#396029 - 09/26/09 06:09 AM Re: Regarding the concept of magic [Re: Zaige]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> if CoS members truly do believe in the power of magic, can anyone explain how it is different from praying? <<

Magic is employed as a self-empowering psychology. As you gain more knowledge and experience you will find there are a number of ways of employing magic.

Magic + action = results.

For a greater explanation read my essay on the nature of Satanic ritual here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/writers/umberto_ray

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#396031 - 09/26/09 06:18 AM Re: Regarding the concept of magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Zaige Offline

Thanks for the link. It does shed some light into what magic is really about in regards to Satanism.

#396153 - 09/27/09 01:55 PM Re: Regarding the concept of magic [Re: Zaige]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Zaige
Is magic not basically the same thing as praying (albeit with ceremonies)?

No, it's not. As explained in The Satanic Bible, praying is an apprehensive act. Prayer is based on the idea of oneself being inferior to a supernatural, external being, then asking this being for help, so long as it's still in accordance with his/her/its will. Compare that to the book's explicit definition of magic.

Quote:
Do CoS members generally believe that magic works to help you achieve your goals?

Yes. Though as for what the verb "works" really means in this context, is a whole other discussion.

Quote:
If not, is this because the CoSís views of magic has changed since LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible?

It hasn't.

Quote:
This is really the only thing I have heard in the Satanic philosophy that truly confuses me.

In my experience, this typically happens with people approaching Satanism from a "militant atheist" type of background. Usually they've been conditioned to only seeing ritual serve one purpose, and have a hard time putting themselves in the controlled yet subjective mindset that allows for its use. I'd recommend re-reading the Book of Belial.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#400520 - 11/02/09 11:57 AM Re: Regarding the concept of magic [Re: Bill_M]
thecuriouscat Offline

ATTENTION!!!

Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here.

All other replies will be deleted.

Multiple violations of this simple rule may results in suspension or termination of your LttD User account.

Edited by Daark (11/02/09 04:07 PM)

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43874 Topics
405554 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements