Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#401383 - 11/10/09 02:02 AM Introduction
Übermensch Offline

Loc: New York
It is good to be here after so many years have passed since I first became aquainted with TSB and TSR as a teenager. I read both books, over and over and over again, drinking them in fully. I performed one ritual at that time, and one more several years later for something else, and they were both a complete success. I was quite astounded. I believe that I have a natural ability for magic.

I have achieved much success in my life as well, and I believe it is the result of living according to the principles expounded by the Doctor. As I am now in my early forties, I have had some time lately to reflect and reevaluate my life. It is now clear to me that my successes have been due to living according to Satanic principles, which had become second nature to me, even though I was not fully conscious of it..hence second-nature. I also abosrbed and read much Nietszche in my early twenties, and have been revisting some of those tomes as well as of late.

It is clear to me that I am a Satanist, and have been ever since reading TSB in the true sense of the word. As a result I have been revisting COS with the advent now of the WWW I have been doing some research as I have been considering affliating myself with TCOS. I hold graduate level degrees in theology and divinity. I see there have been many changes, and spats and such. I am glad to see that TCOS is still going.

I am most considering practicing ritual magic again, as I feel I have a natural ability for it, and I have several personal projects in mind. I am looking forward to being a part of the community here.

Hail Satan!

http://www.satannet.com/ubermensch/

#401398 - 11/10/09 04:23 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Übermensch]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
You sound very highly educated! Might I ask where you gained your graduate level degrees from and also what a degree in theology and a degree in divinity entail, such as what was the subject matter? Also, what was your undergraduate degree in?

They sound quite interesting, especially the graduate degree in divinity. Over here we call graduate degrees 'postgraduate' degrees being that they come after graduating your first degree smile

#401433 - 11/10/09 11:39 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
Übermensch Offline

A Master of Divinity degree covers everything about the Christian God, bible, and church history. The M.Div. is obtained at Seminary. It takes three years to obtain (as opposed to one or two years for most master degrees), so it is much closer to a phd in my not so humble opinion. My B.S. is in the business/financial field.

I am thoroughly convinced at this point that Christians are utterly insane. They are also utterly gullible and will believe just about anything you tell them. They are such easy marks.

#401441 - 11/10/09 01:17 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Übermensch]
ROA Offline

Loc: Ohio
It is interesting to me that you hold a Master of Divinity degree, and at the same time, attribute your successes to Satanic principles. So you have knowledge of Christianity and of Satanism. What lead you to study Divinity? If you find Christians to be utterly insane, then what was it like studying with them for so long? I imagine most of the people in your classes would be rather into such things, did they know of your other interests?

I find it valuable to have knowledge of many religions. Most of the people around me are of the Atheist/Agnostic/Skeptic variety. They have many misunderstandings about Christianity, and are often floored when I start talking about it. Not that I go out of my way to teach them or anything, but it is something that tends to come up rather often. They think that because I am not a Christian that I wouldn’t know much about the religion, whereas actually I do.

Also, on a different note, the first thing I realized upon looking at your post was your avatar. I approve! grin

#401447 - 11/10/09 02:14 PM Re: Introduction [Re: ROA]
Übermensch Offline

Well, I wasn't consciously practicing the principles found in TSB all these years. After re-reading only recently, did I come to recognize that during periods of success, it was attributable in large part to following the Satanic principles, albeit unconsciously. I had read the books so many times as a teenager, and studied Nietzsche so intently for several years, it had simply become second-nature to me. I also worked on the art of direction and fascination and became quite good at those. However, I see now that I had forgotten some very, very important components of TSB and the principles contained therin.

So, as a result of not consciously following those principles, I did not practice them perfectly, nor intentionally. As a result, I was unable to hold onto my many material successes. I wrongly attributed this to some type of character flaw and became convinced during an extraordinarily low and desperate point in my life, through the evangelistic efforts of some Christian groups, that belief in the Christian god would save me. I became...a Christian. I even became a preacher.

Now, I am a word man, quite studied and practiced in the art of rhetoric, and public speaking. I was fascinated by preachers and studied all types of styles. I am a fantastic preacher.

However, after spending some time at this, and working in the church and among the hierarchy, I have come to see the madness of all of it. It was a bittersweet moment for me, and one that literally brought me to the floor. On the one hand, I have invested so much time and money into it, that I hardly know now what to do next. On the other hand, it was as if a giant delusion had been lifted off of my psyche. I felt free again, no longer enslaved to this mad delusion, nor to any god.

So I have returned to my roots, and what set me on the correct path in the first place. And I believe now, that after all, that is truly what I needed to do in the first place. Only time will tell where this will lead me next. One thing is for sure, I am alot happier now.

Hail Satan!

#401454 - 11/10/09 04:50 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Übermensch]
Original Sly Offline

So a Master of Divinity degree isn't like a real university degree? It's given in the seminary? So did you have to exercise critical thought, perhaps some education in cross-comparative religion, when writing your Masters' thesis or did you just have to regurgitate what they wanted you to in order to gain the MDiv?

I'm not trying to belittle the effort you would've put into three years of church run education, but can you see how those degrees might be looked down upon?

I've always been lead to believe that degrees in theology and divinity given by church run institutions were like the "qualifications" that those "occult experts" claimed to have during the Satanic Panic.

I may be completely wrong and I'd like to be corrected if so! smile

#401456 - 11/10/09 05:16 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

For pursuing an occupation in the church, there certain certifications one must get. It is also good to know about other beliefs, so it can come in handy at times. You wouldn't just walk into a business building and occupy an empty office and set up a therapy center without the degree(s) in psychology, same goes for offices in the church.

Edit reason: Expansion

Edited by SomethingLikEvil (11/10/09 05:18 PM)

#401458 - 11/10/09 05:53 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
Übermensch Offline

Originally Posted By: Original Sly
So a Master of Divinity degree isn't like a real university degree? It's given in the seminary? So did you have to exercise critical thought, perhaps some education in cross-comparative religion, when writing your Masters' thesis or did you just have to regurgitate what they wanted you to in order to gain the MDiv?

A seminary degree is like a "real" university degree in the sense that the school must conform to state education accreditation standards. Seminaries are universities, but their curriculums are more specialized. A seminary degree is fully transferable to any other secular university if one were to go further and pursue say, a phd. As I stated earlier, an M.Div. is even more rigourous in most instances due to the length of time and number of credits to attain it when compared to more traditional Masters programs.

As far as regurgitation goes, that is somewhat incorrect as well. Any Masters program must develop critical thinking skills. However, depending on the institution, some are more critical-based than others. For example, the fundamentalist right-wing type seminaries are decidedly less tolerant of critical thinking and more focused on "parroting" rather than thinking. The left-leaning ecumenical type seminaries are much more open to new venues of thought, challenge the student to develop new answers to old problems in light of contemporary culture, and often include a healthy dose of social sciences. I went to a very liberal seminary.

Clergy in mainline denominations are among some of the most educated people in any profession. Priests in the Catholic tradition, are enormously well-educated, representing some of the most educated people in the world. The "usefulness" of that education is a matter of personal experience, and I think is hardly subject to a generalized view.

Also, in seminary, you must learn ancient Hebrew and ancient Greek, the original languages of the "bible." I wouldn't classify a seminary degree as easy, or a crackerjack type of degree in any sense of the word.

#401471 - 11/10/09 06:26 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Übermensch]
Original Sly Offline

Thank you very much for the explanation, Ubermensch!

Obviously, there has been some bias in my presuppositions, I should think any length of time spent in tertiary education would be beneficial to some degree, I just hadn't placed much importance in anything BUT secular education.

You do sound like a learned individual and if age can be taken as an indicator of life experience I should think you'll have a lot to contribute to the board even without your formal education smile

Edited by Original Sly (11/10/09 06:27 PM)
Edit Reason: substituted 'learning' with 'education'

#401474 - 11/10/09 06:41 PM Re: Introduction [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Original Sly Offline

SomethinLikEvil: Dr. LaVey said that Satanists are not just atheist, we're anti-theist. So I would have thought that a career in the christian church would be anathema to Satanism?

I was trying to make a point that a degree taken in seminary, solely in christian theology, doesn't seem very Satanic or with keeping with the tenets of our religion. I'm not the one to say what is and isn't Satanic though, and I could very well be wrong on this point.

#401476 - 11/10/09 06:51 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
Übermensch Offline

Thank you very much for the explanation, Ubermensch!

Obviously, there has been some bias in my presuppositions, I should think any length of time spent in tertiary education would be beneficial to some degree, I just hadn't placed much importance in anything BUT secular education.

You do sound like a learned individual and if age can be taken as an indicator of life experience I should think you'll have a lot to contribute to the board even without your formal education smile

You are welcome. Thank you for the opportunity to shed some light on the subject, and for your commending words and confidence in me.

Like any "good" Satanist, I question everything and always encourage the same from others. That was my problem once I became a member of clergy. I was abrasive. Higher-ups do not like that. Nor did they like me encouraging it and teaching it. I've always viewed myself as something of a liberator. Hardly the "correct" perspective for instituionalized religion if you want to advance. I sadly learned that they want to foster an enslavement mentality. Have you ever heard of Liberation Theology? I found that it is not well-received amongst fundamentalist or even the wishy-washy mainline churches.

It's also good to know, as any good rhetorician will tell you, your opponent's case better than he. I am not convinced yet that my education is a loss, and it could even serve me quite well in future Satanic endeavors. Who better to write against something, than someone who has a deeper knowledge and experience of it than the "uninitiated?"

Hail Satan!

#401494 - 11/10/09 09:27 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I was trying to make a point that a degree taken in seminary, solely in christian theology, doesn't seem very Satanic or with keeping with the tenets of our religion.

Being a violent criminal is unsatanic too, but that doesn't mean a Satanist can't enjoy reading about Jack the Ripper, or watching movies like Friday the 13th.

Likewise, there's nothing inherently unsatanic about taking a liking to the topic of religion. Heck, I'm into it myself. I have an entire bookshelf that includes the Koran, the Bhagava-Gita, Tao Te Ching, a Holy Bible, and other texts from world religions. That's because the topic interests me from historical, sociological, and cultural points of view. And I'm certainly secure enough in myself that I can read such books with an objective point of view.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#401498 - 11/10/09 09:55 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Bill_M]
Original Sly Offline

I definitely concur that an interest in religion isn't anathema to Satanism, good sir! I myself have numerous 'holy books' on my bookshelves, and took Religious Studies papers in university.

I think the anathema aspect I was referring to, and didn't elaborate on sufficiently (doing myself a disservice in the process) was that it seems anathema to be participating or helping in a cause that is unsatanic. What I meant to say if that by training at a seminary and entering the church, would you not just be contributing to the indoctrination of others?

I'm not at all saying that's what the author of this thread was doing, and it indeed sounds as if he is not, I just wanted to question that aspect and see what others had to say smile

Edited by Original Sly (11/10/09 09:56 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling error

#401505 - 11/10/09 11:11 PM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
What I meant to say if that by training at a seminary and entering the church, would you not just be contributing to the indoctrination of others?

I just wanted to question that aspect and see what others had to say smile

Of course, this raises the question: is it Satanic to even care whether you are “contributing to the indoctrination of others” while pursuing your own interests?

Edited by John Prophet (11/10/09 11:13 PM)

#401513 - 11/11/09 12:41 AM Re: Introduction [Re: John Prophet]
Übermensch Offline

Originally Posted By: John Prophet

Of course, this raises the question: is it Satanic to even care whether you are "contributing to the indoctrination of others" while pursuing your own interests?

Now that is a very interesting thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405514 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements