Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#401522 - 11/11/09 01:22 AM Re: Introduction [Re: John Prophet]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Well, I was thinking more toward the idea that contributing to the indoctrination of others (with christian dogma) would be pushing the christian agenda, would it not?

Therefore, whether or not you actually believe in what you're doing, you're contributing towards bolstering christian influence and strength in numbers, and that is most definitely NOT anti-theist as Dr. Lavey said we are.

Does that make sense or am I rambling a bit? smile

#401526 - 11/11/09 02:40 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
I think that the “anti-theist” idea that you are talking about is more of an individualist sort of thing that applies to ourselves and not necessarily to others. Satanism is not a “cause”. We obviously aren’t trying to convert these people to Satanism, and so I don't see any point in concerning ourselves with their theistic beliefs. We are not trying to “fight” Christianity.

Plus, it’s my opinion that these people are going to embrace this type of belief anyway. Even if they're not being indoctrinated in to that particular religion, they will still naturally gravitate towards some sort of theistic belief, and so I don't really see what the difference is. It’s important to remember that the majority of people are naturally drawn to this type of thing and have no hope of becoming “anti-theists” anyway. If they’re not Christian theists, then they’ll just be some other kind.

And if I’m not mistaken (I’m certainly not a spokesperson for the Church of Satan) I do recall a policy having to do with other religions involving the phrase “live and let live”.

#401529 - 11/11/09 03:03 AM Re: Introduction [Re: John Prophet]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I didn't mean that it's a Satanist's job to proselytize. Far from it, I don't think anything I said implied that.

By adopting a "live and let live" attitude, one goes about their business, not interfering with the business of another.

But if a Satanist enters a christian institution and proselytizes for THAT religion, it seems a little paradoxical.

I do like the idea of "knowing your enemy", if one can call it that, and knowing their BS from the inside. But by being inside that institution, would one not be giving it strength through one's efforts?

Quote:
We are not trying to “fight” Christianity.

I understand this, and again I wasn't implying that in any way. What I was getting at is by becoming a church employee, a member of the institution, someone whose duty it is to preach, proselytize, or lecture from the pulpit, are you not "fighting" for christianity?

I have to say that I'm finding this thread, this line of thinking and people's opinions here, to be quite enjoyable and enlightening. smile

#401530 - 11/11/09 03:11 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Original Sly

But if a Satanist enters a christian institution and proselytizes for THAT religion, it seems a little paradoxical.

What I was getting at is by becoming a church employee, a member of the institution, someone whose duty it is to preach, proselytize, or lecture from the pulpit, are you not "fighting" for christianity?

If that’s the case, then I agree with you. I just didn't realize that we were discussing someone having such a proactive role in Christianity.

#401553 - 11/11/09 10:36 AM Re: Introduction [Re: Original Sly]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
I understand this, and again I wasn't implying that in any way. What I was getting at is by becoming a church employee, a member of the institution, someone whose duty it is to preach, proselytize, or lecture from the pulpit, are you not "fighting" for christianity?

I recall Doktor writing about those tent show evangelists who were just doing it for the money, not buying into the BS. Hell, if that was something I wished to do, I would do so, and because I am doing so does not mean I believe what I say.

You have quite some power to wield in a position like that, seemingly playing for jesus' team while you are actually undermining it and shaping peoples' thoughts more toward the carnal. Afterall, the sheep always blindly follow the shepherd.

Edited by SomethingLikEvil (11/11/09 10:38 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements