Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#401670 - 11/12/09 03:22 PM Altered States of Consciousness and Satanic Magic
Übermensch Offline

Loc: New York
In the performance of a Satanic Ritual, I was wondering specifically about two methods of achieving an altered state of consciousness and how that might affect the efficacy of a Satanic Ritual. I would like to know if anyone has experimented with these, and/or what your thoughts would be as to their legitimate use in a ritual.

A.) Brainwave Entrainment - By the use of binaural beats or other types of brainwave entrainments, i.e. combinations of light and sound.

B.) Pharmacological - I understand the CoS stance on the dissipative effects of using pharmacological compounds and the destructive nature of enslavement to such substances. However, I wonder if a discerned and careful use of non-habit forming pharmacological agents in the ritual chamber may enhance the efficacy of the ritual. These compounds need not be illegal, as there are many perfectly legal herbal compounds that can induce altered states.

http://www.satannet.com/ubermensch/

#401671 - 11/12/09 03:36 PM Re: Altered States of Consciousness and Satanic Magic [Re: Übermensch]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

1. If it works for you, certainly.

2. No.

#401683 - 11/12/09 05:32 PM Re: Altered States of Consciousness and Satanic Magic [Re: Übermensch]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
I've found self-hypnosis useful in inducing a sort of amnesia about the events that take place in ritual. This is useful if you have trouble divorcing yourself from the related acts, or from dwelling on the problem. Push and then pull. It shouldn’t be used in place of fully venting one’s desires, but it does seem to aid in the “is this going to work?” factor.

#401685 - 11/12/09 05:36 PM Re: Altered States of Consciousness and Satanic Magic [Re: Übermensch]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
In regards to the pharmacological altering of one's consciousness to be employed in the ritual chamber, I always thought that you had to be fully conscious, to distill and direct your will towards the end you're wanting to achieve. In that respect, I don't see how chemically altering your consciousness could possibly be of any benefit in the ritual chamber.

In 'The Satanic Witch' (in the section headed 'The Drug Scene' starting on page nine), Dr. LaVey says that drug use in magic is hindering, stunting your inquisitiveness to look past the drug because "If one has sought magical power or mystical wisdom and has experienced an extremely sound enchantment through the use of the drug, chances are, she'll look no further... the drug will become the criteria-producing device for her self-assumed prowess". (TSW, pg. 10)

The next paragraph contains, what I think, the definitive statement regarding drugs in magic:

"Let me state categorically at this point that drugs are antithetical to the practice of magic, as they tend to disassociate the user from reality, even though he oftentimes thinks himself closer."

I'd love to quote the entire paragraph, but it's probably best you seek out the book and find that part I'm referring to. Dr. LaVey mentions focussing on a single desire toward which you perform a ritual and I don't think chemically altering your consciousness allows for this. smile

#401691 - 11/12/09 07:09 PM Return to the Source. [Re: Übermensch]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

The ninth enochian key warns of the use of substances, devices or pharmaceuticals which might lead to delusion and subsequent enslavement of the master.

The Satanic Bible

Edited by Unknown (11/12/09 07:37 PM)

#401699 - 11/12/09 08:00 PM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Unknown]
Übermensch Offline

I was referring to RHP folks who advocate things such as ayahuasca. I can't imagine how it would be useful.

Certainly, on point B., as far as Satanism is concerned I agree with LaVey and view it as a key fundamental statement of the Satanic principes from biological, psychological, philisophical, and natural perspectives.

Of course breaking any laws could be very counter-productive, and hence, not the smartest avenue to pursue for someone who is truly Satanic and believes in the cardinal rule of Satanism: self-preservation. The same caution of course can be said with respect to addiction.

As far as the brainwave entrainment, I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with, or has thoughts or viewpoints on the different states of consciousness that are purported to be attainable. Some of these states are said to contribute to such things that might be useful before, during, or after a ritual, such as enhanced concentration, hypnagogy, hypnosis, enhanced creativity and enhanced visualization powers.

Edited by ubermensch (11/12/09 08:11 PM)
Edit Reason: added, "enhanced visualization powers"

#401702 - 11/12/09 08:15 PM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Original Sly]
Übermensch Offline

Originally Posted By: Original Sly
In regards to the pharmacological altering of one's consciousness to be employed in the ritual chamber, I always thought that you had to be fully conscious, to distill and direct your will towards the end you're wanting to achieve. In that respect, I don't see how chemically altering your consciousness could possibly be of any benefit in the ritual chamber.

Agreed. Thank you for pointing this out.

Originally Posted By: Original Sly
In 'The Satanic Witch' (in the section headed 'The Drug Scene' starting on page nine), Dr. LaVey says that drug use in magic is hindering, stunting your inquisitiveness to look past the drug because "If one has sought magical power or mystical wisdom and has experienced an extremely sound enchantment through the use of the drug, chances are, she'll look no further... the drug will become the criteria-producing device for her self-assumed prowess". (TSW, pg. 10)

The next paragraph contains, what I think, the definitive statement regarding drugs in magic:

"Let me state categorically at this point that drugs are antithetical to the practice of magic, as they tend to disassociate the user from reality, even though he oftentimes thinks himself closer."

I'd love to quote the entire paragraph, but it's probably best you seek out the book and find that part I'm referring to. Dr. LaVey mentions focussing on a single desire toward which you perform a ritual and I don't think chemically altering your consciousness allows for this. smile

Excellent source material. Thank you for taking the time to post that.

#401710 - 11/12/09 10:19 PM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Übermensch]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
As far as the brainwave entrainment, I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with, or has thoughts or viewpoints on the different states of consciousness that are purported to be attainable. Some of these states are said to contribute to such things that might be useful before, during, or after a ritual, such as enhanced concentration, hypnagogy, hypnosis, enhanced creativity and enhanced visualization powers.

This is an old technology that has many new twists with the various "mind machines" that are being promoted and sold.

Binaural fluctuations in music listened to with stereo headphones or ear buds can easily drive specific brainwave conditions such as theta for inducing deep sleep more easily.

CDs and Mp3s abound using this old and proven technology.

Shamanic drumming if performed at the correct rhythm also can produce brainwave entrainment.

However these are all only add-on props and limited tools. For example, obtaining a CD or Mp3 for alpha entrainment music can enable attaining the relaxation response in about 15 minutes of daily or twice daily exposure. The multiple benefits of inducing the relaxation response have been extensively researched by Herbert Benson, MD, former professor of cardiology at the Harvard Medical School.

If you read his book by the same name (The Relaxation Response) you will see that this is a direct route to most of the benefits you listed and many, many more.

I consider it push button instant meditation. Simple. Easy. Proven.

#401743 - 11/13/09 03:47 AM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Nemo]
Saviourself Offline

Loc: Oregon
Being that "Greater Magic" is just a way to purge the mind of the person using it of negative emotions that may be hindering their pursuit of hapiness and NOT meant to really *do* anything I don't see how either those would make much difference. That is unless the use of those things help you relax.

Hell, I like to get stoned every now and then. I believe I have the right to do so if I choose. I still go to school, get good grades and pay my bills on time. As my own God operating on the prime directive of my life being to enjoy myself in whatever way I want so long as I am willing to take full responsibility of my actions; I find it rather hipocritical of "Satanists" to condemn MY choice to live MY life HOWEVER I want. Especially since my choice to indulge in marijuana is not harmful to anyone aside from myself and even the "harm" is minimal.

#401744 - 11/13/09 04:01 AM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Saviourself]
Original Sly Offline

Quote:
I find it rather hipocritical of "Satanists" to condemn MY choice to live MY life HOWEVER I want.

Without moving too far away from the point of this thread, you wouldn't be trying so hard to justify your drug use if it wasn't illegal where you live. You are breaking the law. Breaking the law is explicitly condemned in the Church of Satan.

If you don't like the laws where you live, work to change them or move somewhere else.

It's not hypocritical of me or any other Satanist to criticise your law-breaking OR drug use.

#401746 - 11/13/09 04:15 AM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Original Sly]
Saviourself Offline

You make too many assumptions.

I have infact helped to try and change the laws in my favor. I am not a subcriber of armchair-revolution; I prefer direct action.

As far as for what is condmened by CoS - I really don't care - I am not a member and have no intentions of joining. I am a solitary practicioner.

Yes smoking Marijuana is illegal. But let us not forget that at one time it was also illegal to deny the existance of God. I see no problem in breaking an unjust, outdated and ill-informed law.

And yes it is very hipocritical of you. Satanism is founded upon the principles "indulgence instead of abstinence" and "responsibility to the responsible". I am adhering to both so there should be no real issue. By projecting that unholier than thou attitude you are no better than a Xian who looks down their nose at people who don't have an imaginary friend in the sky.

But, by all means, tow the party line if it helps you fit in. A sheep in wolves clothing is still a sheep.

#401747 - 11/13/09 04:22 AM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Saviourself]
Original Sly Offline

Quote:
Yes smoking Marijuana is illegal.

Nuff said. wink

#401748 - 11/13/09 04:27 AM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Original Sly]
Saviourself Offline

Now that is just cowardly and weak. At first you say that I should work to change the laws in my favor, ignorantly assuming that I don't already and upon finding out that I do you resort to that? I expect better from you and you should expect better from yourself.

#401751 - 11/13/09 04:48 AM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: Saviourself]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Saviourself
And yes it is very hipocritical of you.

I believe the word you're searching for here is "hypocritical".

I also believe that your open defense of the use of illegal substances and attacks on Satanists and what you call "the party line" falls under the category of counterproductive pride.

Personally I don't care what you use. That's between you and local law enforcement. But there is something odd in you wanting to justify the action to the rest of us. Do you want to convince us that you are right? Does our opinion on this matter to you since you keep coming back to the subject? Do you need to justify your own actions? to have them validated by others?

I don't get it - if I were to do something that Church of Satan did not approve of, LttD was probably the last place in the world I would bring it up smile

#401770 - 11/13/09 08:00 AM Re: Return to the Source. [Re: verszou]
Cryptodelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
Greetings ubermensch

I have given this topic, the shamanistic path, quite a bit of thought. Have you noticed that many shamanistic substances typically have the effect of Ego destruction? this is the antithesis of Satanism.

You may find that pre-hypnotic suggestions are useful before you engage in intense concentration or total fixation of attention to the details of your Magical psychodrama.

Further, I feel we already have just the right balance of endogenous neurochemicals to produce whatever effect we intend. How do we know this; as we watch a film, so to become emotionally moved by the film, notice how we are able to suspend disbelief sufficient to invoke an autonomic visceral reaction.

All the best.

L P S Clock: 10:30

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements