Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#401993 - 11/15/09 01:06 AM Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist?
FEISARSUX Offline

Loc: Singapore
To be frank,I feel science is the ultimate entity.The laws of science cannot be broken.Why turn to Satanism,when there is science?

#401994 - 11/15/09 01:12 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
And this is why timing is the secret to comedy...

#401996 - 11/15/09 01:17 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: Delta]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Logic is a little tweeting bird, chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad.

Oh wait, green ladies.

No... wait... what?

Timing?

wink

#401998 - 11/15/09 01:29 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

You're going to be Frank? Ok, I guess that makes me Fred.

Quadrotriticale is a high yield grain, a four lobed hybrid of wheat and rye. A perennial also, if I'm not mistaken. Its root grain, triticale, can trace its ancestry all the way back to twentieth century Canada.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#402004 - 11/15/09 02:40 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: FEISARSUX
To be frank,I feel science is the ultimate entity.The laws of science cannot be broken.Why turn to Satanism,when there is science?

Satanism isn't for everyone. We do not expect it to be. For those that it does not suit there are other avenues of exploration in life; of which, science is one.

I would point out however, that the human psyche requires both fact and fantasy to function correctly. From a psychological perspective Satanism is the only religion that accepts the fantastical side of the human mind and consciously utilises it as a tool through the application of something known as suspension of disbelief, as opposed to confusing such fantasies with reality.

#402005 - 11/15/09 02:51 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
No naked chick on the altars of science...

#402007 - 11/15/09 03:10 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Why turn to Satanism,when there is science?

Since when did we have to choose?

#402014 - 11/15/09 07:15 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: John Prophet]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Exactly. This is not an either/or situation. Virtually every Satanist adheres to the basic principles of scientific philosophy (meaning intense value upon logic, reasoning, the scientific method, rational inquiry, etc).

If the OP is merely asking "why bother with Satanism" then my answer is that if you find no need for it, then I suggest moving along. We are not recruiting.

#402030 - 11/15/09 12:19 PM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
The laws of science are subjective to human observations. Most often they are accurate and very useful, but the universe doesn’t care what mankind has to say in terms of scientific laws.

>>I feel [that] science is the ultimate entity.

Meaning you worship science? Enjoying and appreciating science is healthy, but devote worship? Even a scientist would tell you to breathe a bit and take it one step at a time.

Why turn to comedy when there is science?

Why turn to fiction when there is reality?

Why ask such strange questions?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#402041 - 11/15/09 01:26 PM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
Why turn to Satanism,when there is science?

Most Atheists who are strict adherents to only the laws of science, are, in my opinion, "throwing the baby out with the bath water" (correct me if that is not the correct usage of that phrase... haha). They see religion as false, so they reject anything that pertains to religion, even if it is beneficial.

Satanism is different in that it recognizes the benefits of religion, (physiotherapy effects, cathartic release, a healthy dose of fantasy, etc.) without suspending the use of real logic and scientific reason. Like others have said, its not an either/or relationship.

I see Satanism as more of an "Advanced Atheism." (Technically we aren't Atheist... more Self-theist... but that's usually not easy for the public to wrap their heads around...)

Edited by Iscariot (11/15/09 01:26 PM)

#402044 - 11/15/09 01:37 PM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
VictorWolf Offline
CoS Member

I'm sensing a pattern of "not getting it."

"Atheism" describes what one thinks about the idea of god(s). "Science" is a method by which people attempt to explain how things in the universe function. As already said, they do not include the fantasy element which is important to the human mind (which Science does in fact support). Neither encompass anything resembling a code of ethics or many of the other things that Satanism has.

Atheism and science are starting points by which further knowledge is acquired.

#402046 - 11/15/09 02:19 PM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: VictorWolf]
Cryptodelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
Re: "I feel [that] science is the ultimate entity",
I don't know how you see science as an entity Per se; it seems you may be nominalizing the scientific process. And, didn't you mean to say: The laws of nature cannot be broken?

However, you might be looking for another term: "Scientism is a philosophical position that exalts the methods of the natural sciences above all other modes of human inquiry. Scientism embraces only empiricism and reason to explain phenomena of any dimension, whether physical, social, cultural, or psychological." Source

Now, if you are asking why not just turn to Scientism if you are an Atheist (vs Satanism); some things are as yet un-discoverable within the limits of our current models of reality, so to reject the ineffable outright is to unnecessarily limit exploration.

But if you mean why not just turn to the scientific method if you are an atheist (vs Satanism), notice this question implies a logical fallacy; false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, the either-or fallacy). because, as mentioned before, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Further, I'm not sure what you meant by "turn to Satanism" because I don't believe Satanism is something one can turn to, for upon discovery of Satanism, an individual will resonate with it, or not.

Cheers

Edited by Cryptodelic (11/16/09 01:36 AM)

L P S Clock: 10:30

#402102 - 11/16/09 02:54 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
ScottySatan Offline
CoS Member

Loc: UK

I had the same question, though I did not have the same preconceived, SUBJECTIVE opinion of science as you. After a lot of looking I found an answer that a scientific mind could understand.

There is a subjective component to reality. There are things that are purely the product of human imagination that have a real and large impact on your life. Easy examples include: laws, the amount of money in your bank account, days, hours and minutes.

A scientist is trained to eliminate any perceived subjectivity. In the context of scientific research, this is the correct thing to do. In the context of your life, it isn't.

A Satanist seeks to understand the subjective and objective. A Satanist seeks to bend both to their own will.

A lot of scientists scoff at those members of the public who turn science into their religion. Scientists don't make science their religion, why should you? What a depressing world, where there is no such thing as "why?".

#402104 - 11/16/09 03:29 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: ScottySatan]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
To echo what everyone has already said here this is not an either/or situation.

However,seeing science as an entity might end up making you jump up and down on couches on Oprah's set,and ruining your career.

#402114 - 11/16/09 08:01 AM Re: Why not just turn to science if you are an atheist? [Re: FEISARSUX]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis

Because of that word in the title you gave this thread..."just".

Are you "just" an atheist, or are you more? We like to think we are more.

I think of atheism as the end of a search; and, Satanism as the beginning.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12013 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405205 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements