Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#402138 - 11/16/09 04:15 PM Let's try this again...
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Questions about the Church of Satan Forum
Description: Questions related to the Church of Satan (membership, website, officials, etc) - Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here. All other replies will be deleted.

Satanism By Example Forum
Description: Examples of the Satanic Philosophy, Articles, Essays, News Clippings, Videos, Interviews, etc. Only CoS Members may post here.

Doesn't get any clearer than that, does it?
Prevention of Virtue

#402150 - 11/16/09 05:21 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: LKRice]
MoongleMoose Offline

CoS Member

Loc: South O' Sydney
If this is such an issue worthy of repeating to people... May I suggest administration take the privelage away for non-members to post in there? When I posted in there I forgot I was actually in that board as I had 5-6 different tabs open on LTTD.
There is, as I'm sure with all forum engines the ability in board preferences to allow people to make topics, but not respond to them. If this issue is that distruptive to the forum, I suggest action be taken instead of repeating a directive that people with 5-6 tabs open will forget to adhear to.

smile

Edited by Maikeru (11/16/09 05:29 PM)

#402151 - 11/16/09 05:33 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
So it's the CoS Administrations fault that you were careless and couldn't keep your windows organised? If non-members couldn't post, that would defeat a great deal of the purpose that forum has in the first place.

When I was a non-member, I had a few questions that I was unclear of, and that Questions forum was very helpful to me. If I had taken my chances with the rabble, and asked in the general forum where it is usually new non-members who are "answering" these inquiries, it could have led to some serious confusion. You yourself being a non-member, what if you have questions about the CoS in the future? I think it's quite a handy privilege to be allowed such direct access to the CoS Hierarchy.

Edited by Phosis (11/16/09 05:35 PM)

#402156 - 11/16/09 06:22 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: TheDegenerate]
MoongleMoose Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Phosis
So it's the CoS Administrations fault that you were careless and couldn't keep your windows organised?

Never said that. However if a problem persists on these forums relating to a certain issue... Isn't it logical to pin point the problem and deal with it, rather than "If at first I don't suceed, try and try again" (Taken straight from Devil's Notebook). I'm not talking about myself in particular, as I now know that only members should reply to topics there and I have since learned my lesson, however I'm refering to the constant stream of new members.

"If at first you don't succeed, wait and see what happens. If nothing happens, try a different approach. If still unsuccessful, try someone or somewhere else" - Lavey

Quote:
When I was a non-member, I had a few questions that I was unclear of, and that Questions forum was very helpful to me. If I had taken my chances with the rabble, and asked in the general forum where it is usually new non-members who are "answering" these inquiries, it could have led to some serious confusion.

I've never disputed the forums not being there. They are an excellent idea. Which is why I suggest taking the strides to make sure that, that particular forum can only be replied to by Church of Satan Members.

Quote:
You yourself being a non-member, what if you have questions about the CoS in the future? I think it's quite a handy privilege to be allowed such direct access to the CoS Hierarchy.

Yes I agree, I in no way questioned the reason for the board being there.

Edited by Maikeru (11/16/09 06:31 PM)

#402157 - 11/16/09 06:31 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Just a little something to think about, without giving away the entire game:

Maybe, just maybe, the way it is right now provides for a bit of stratification. It tells us a little something about the poster. Are they focused? Have they read and comprehended what is displayed here? Have they read and comprehended the board rules?

Do they rush in to reply, or take a measured approach to what they are about to post, where they are replying, and in accordance to the board rules?

This is a board for Satanists. "Where the elite come to play".

Get it? wink

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#402158 - 11/16/09 06:33 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
Thinking like that lead to STOP signs. If everyone had the sense to slow down and take their turn at intersections, we wouldn't need them. But look where we are now!

They could put gates at every intersection - big steel doors, that close if it's not your turn. That would stop the inconsiderate ass holes from jumping into traffic when it's not their turn.

We already have a stop sign on those forums... do you really want steel doors?

#402159 - 11/16/09 06:35 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Phineas]
MoongleMoose Offline

CoS Member

Yep fair enough. That is indeed a fair system.
However if that is the case, why, as Church of Satan members should you guys be constantly posting and deleting posts relating to the problem?
If people are constantly posting in there pissing CoS members off it makes sense to just nip the issue in the bud.
Anyway, that's my two cents on the issue. I'll drop it now.
You have my apologies for posting in there, lesson learnt.

#402161 - 11/16/09 06:38 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

However if that is the case, why, as Church of Satan members should you guys be constantly posting and deleting posts relating to the problem?

Because we can. grin

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#402163 - 11/16/09 06:41 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Phineas]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: Phineas
Maybe, just maybe, the way it is right now provides for a bit of stratification.

Then that puts one strike against me... When I first started posting here I carelessly posted in the COS only section once... W-would it help to say "I'm sorry?" cry

#402165 - 11/16/09 06:45 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Magister Ventrue has the LttD system set up very deliberately and intentionally after years of trial and error, and tens of thousands of posts of all sorts by all sorts of people.

There really is no suggestion you could make that has not already been proposed, and either integrated into the system or rejected for one reason or another.

I and all the other Moderators do all that is necessary on a manual post-by-post level, that is not already handled automatically by code.

As Magister Phineas has already stated, LttD is not set up to cater and pander to the dullest, but is set up to reveal dullness and laziness, so it may be duly noted for the purpose of stratification; while providing the least amount of friction and hassle for the non-dull and non-lazy who can read and follow very simple instructions.

The fact that, due to a constant influx of new visitors, the task of the Mods has a Sisyphean flavor to it, is not a problem for us, and therefore should not present a problem for anyone else, eh?

wink

#402166 - 11/16/09 06:45 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Iscariot]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

What you do afterward is important too....

We all make mistakes, don't we? What we do with the lesson counts for much.

#402176 - 11/16/09 07:12 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Plus, from a technical standpoint, I imagine that setting up a system that would allow anyone who is registered to ask questions, but only allow certain people to reply to the same thread; could present some real challenges. To be honest, I’m not sure how you’d even do that (it would be more complicated than just allowing certain people to be on a forum and certain people not to be).

#402195 - 11/16/09 08:46 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

That's been proposed a thousand times, and it never occurs to anyone that doing so would interfere with the purpose of the forum by disallowing appropriate followup questions, etc.

#402228 - 11/17/09 03:17 AM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: LKRice]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Some places in forum make me confused.

For example, Questions about the Church of Satan part of forum is strictly moderated, and to me was always very clear, what are conditions for me to insert a post there.

On the other hand, Satanism By Example is not so strictly moderated, and first moderated post there, I saw yesterday. When I was going to post there, I of course noticed what is written in the description of section ("Only CoS Members may post here."), before I entered it. When I saw many non-members posting in threads and nothing was moderated, I only thought that CoS members are allowed to start topics there, while non-members are not and that's it.

It was very unclear to me.

For now, I can and will remember, but some newcomers could be confused by the same thing.

#402232 - 11/17/09 06:36 AM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Spelled Moon]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Let me clarify on that.

Only CoS members may start new threads in Satanism By Example. Nonmembers should be free to respond to all topics there.

However, it's a relatively new forum, and I believe quite a few moderators (including myself) were not updated to have moderator privileges there, so it goes unmoderated in large part simply because a lot of moderators can't do anything about it yet. I'll bring that up and see if we can get it under control.

#402273 - 11/17/09 01:21 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
Only CoS members may start new threads in Satanism By Example. Nonmembers should be free to respond to all topics there.

Thank you for clarifying. smile

#402302 - 11/17/09 05:33 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Let me clarify on that.

Yes, thank you, that was something I wasn’t a 100% sure about as well!

#402307 - 11/17/09 05:56 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: John Prophet]
Übermensch Offline

Loc: New York
That's good to know thanks.

http://www.satannet.com/ubermensch/

#402311 - 11/17/09 06:08 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:

I'm interpreting it differently, probably too literally (i.e. "Only CoS Members may post" = "Only CoS Members may create threads and reply to them"). I've asked Magister Ventrue for clarification.
Prevention of Virtue

#402330 - 11/17/09 08:44 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: MoongleMoose]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Quote:

You have my apologies for posting in there, lesson learnt.

Yeah same here you guys. I was the one that replied and had LKRice make this post.

I told the other posters to let this guy continue to speak of his new "discovery" or a different path or something.

I told them that it would be amusing since alot of people who enter topics about finding their new enlightment in demonic incarnation or finding some ancient path of some kind.

I sent her a private message asking her to excuse me and that I wouldn't post there anymore.

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#402331 - 11/17/09 08:47 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: LKRice]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Probably wise. I sort of assumed if it's in public, the restriction is just to prevent nonmembers from using it as a promotional platform.

#402333 - 11/17/09 08:52 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.

However I got in trouble for responding... smile

No biggie. I sure don't want to break any rules so it's a good thing to ask Magister Ventrue.

If you look at the irony here like I am, you're probably laughing right now. laugh

However I won't be a victim to Solipsism. I thought it was funny at least if nobody else thinks it is.

Edited by LordOfDarkness (11/17/09 09:09 PM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#402344 - 11/17/09 10:07 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: LordofDarkness]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

If you know of some written document that spells it all out, feel free to point it out. Also, any moderator able to moderate that forum has precedence over me and their judgement comes first.

#403056 - 11/23/09 03:21 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

So what was the conclusion?

#403080 - 11/23/09 04:29 PM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Spelled Moon]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Informal conclusion is that responding to posts as a nonmember is acceptable. At the very least, until/unless Magister Ventrue says otherwise, I do not think there is any danger of receiving a warning for responding to posts in that forum.

#403625 - 11/27/09 09:36 AM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
I almost replied to a post on that section once. Normally, I do not use the Active Topics option, never click there, usually I just go straight to the section I want, just click on General Satanism for instance, but once I was checking out the Active Topics option, clicked on it to see how it works, so a page with a list of all active topics opened up, a list of active topics from all different sections, all listed together on the same page, so I had forgotten I got to the post I was replying to through Active Topics, and didn't realise the post was from the CoS questions section, until just before I hit submit, so I didn't hit submit, but I can see how many could make that mistake this way.

#403628 - 11/27/09 10:10 AM Re: Let's try this again... [Re: SINClair]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Again.....

We all make mistakes, right? Its what we do about it, and how fast that provides further insight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
43876 Topics
405566 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements