Topic Options
#402253 - 11/17/09 10:38 AM Essential Satanic Literature
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Currently, the only book on Satanism I own is The Satanic Bible. I would love to learn more about Satanism, and I was wondering where I should turn to next.

I plan on ordering a copy of The Satanic Scriptures as soon as I get the money. I am interested in comparing Peter Gilmore's thoughts to Anton's, or at least the way in which he articulates these thoughts.

I looked into Anton's other books, such as The Satanic Rituals and The Satanic Witch. Seeing as how I am interested primarily in the philosophy of Satanism and not so much the fantasy aspect (although I am interested in it) I'm hesitant to spend the very little money I have on these books. I' m under the impression that The Satanic Witch is primarily geared toward women. Seeing as how I am a homosexual male, I am not sure if such a thing would be beneficial to me, personally.

Does Anton's essay compilations, such as The Devil's Notebook, contain a decent amount of information that The Satanic Bible doesn't? Or is it primarily Anton's personal views on a variety of issues? Or both...?

Grateful as always for any replies.

#402255 - 11/17/09 10:48 AM Re: Essential Satanic Literature [Re: M.D. Roche]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Other books of interest: Go to www.churchofsatan.com. Click the link to the left titled "sources".

"I' m under the impression that The Satanic Witch is primarily geared toward women. Seeing as how I am a homosexual male, I am not sure if such a thing would be beneficial to me, personally."

It will.

"Does Anton's essay compilations, such as The Devil's Notebook, contain a decent amount of information that The Satanic Bible doesn't? Or is it primarily Anton's personal views on a variety of issues? Or both...?"

Are you interested in being privy to some of the thoughts of the founder of The Church of Satan? wink

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#402256 - 11/17/09 10:52 AM Re: Essential Satanic Literature [Re: M.D. Roche]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Malform, you can find a reading list on the offical Church of Satan website, but I do not mind typing here the books I recommend you read:

Magus Anton Szandor LaVey- The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Rituals, The Satanic Witch, The Devil's Notebook, Satan Speaks!

Magus Peter H. Gilmore- The Satanic Scriptures

Magistra Templi Rex Blanche Barton- The Church of Satan, The Secret Life of a Satanist

Magister James D. Sass- Essays in Satanism

Magister Nemo- The Fire From Within: Nemo on Satanism

Magister Michael Rose- Infernalia: The Writings of Michael Rose

Magister Matt G Paradise- Bearing the Devil's Mark, The Book of Satanic Quotations

Joel Gausten- Words From the Third Side

Draconis Blackthorne- The Devil's Scroll

Frederick Madden (Me)- The Devil's Soapbox (due out in the first quarter of 2010)

I can assure you that Magus Gilmore's book is just as informitive in its own way, it is a shining example of why he is the current High Priest.

The Satanic Rituals is a good book even if you do not use the rituals as it gives fantastic historical information.

The Satanic Witch is useful for anyone, the discerning individual (homosexual or otherwise) can tweak the suggestions within the book for his or her own use.

The Devil's Notebook and Satan Speaks fo give Dr LaVey's personal views, but so does The Satanic Bible, got it?

#402257 - 11/17/09 10:59 AM Re: Essential Satanic Literature [Re: M.D. Roche]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: malform
Does Anton's essay compilations, such as The Devil's Notebook, contain a decent amount of information that The Satanic Bible doesn't? Or is it primarily Anton's personal views on a variety of issues? Or both...?

It really depends on how you learn things. I've gotten much from Satan Speaks! and The Devil's Notebook even though I think that they are in the lighter category compared to The Satanic Bible. This is because I like to read those short pieces and his quotes and then think about what they tell me about the man behind the text and how it relates to my own situation.

I also liked "The Secret Life of A Satanist" by Blanche Barton because it relates to another way I like to learn things, from how people live their lives. Anybody can make claims, but living according to what one preaches says a lot about a person.

#402300 - 11/17/09 05:24 PM Re: Essential Satanic Literature [Re: M.D. Roche]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
I’m inclined to echo a lot of what verszou said. This is just my opinion, but The Devil's Notebook is probably my very favorite book by LaVey. From what I gather about you, I think you'd probably find more of what you seem to be looking for in Satan Speaks! and The Devil's Notebook. They’re a mixture of LaVey’s own views and Satanic philosophy (as well as examples of Satanic philosophy given through LaVey’s writing and thoughts).

Though having The Satanic Scriptures on your list right after The Satanic Bible is a good move and something that I would recommend to anyone.

The Satanic Witch is primarily about psychology, human behavior and manipulation. It’s a much more thorough account of how to perform the “lesser magic” that Doctor LaVey briefly touched on in The Satanic Bible (you’ll find some of this in the first few pages of the Book of Belial). I have a homosexual friend, who really isn’t into Satanism, but who I gave a copy of the book to and he really enjoyed it and found it useful. As others have said, The Satanic Witch can be valuable to anyone.

#402325 - 11/17/09 07:53 PM Re: Essential Satanic Literature [Re: John Prophet]
Memento Offline

CoS Member

Loc: United Kingdom
There are many books, interviews and articles available on Satanism either online or in a bookstore, but the only 'essential' book is the Satanic Bible. I've found that the Church of Satan holds true on its promise of "what you see is what you get". I found that The Satanic Scriptures by Magus Gilmore contains a wealth of knowledge about Satanic philosophy.

Another favorite book of mine is Apocalypse Culture, edited by Adam Parfrey. The book is a fantastic collection of essays dealing with the fringes of society (eugenics, mind control, etc) as well as an essay from Dr LaVey entitled "The Invisible War". I seriously recommend it.

HS

#402340 - 11/17/09 09:30 PM Re: Essential Satanic Literature [Re: Memento]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I found that a good site for recommended readings was one I can't find any more. I believe it was created by Magister Paradise on his Purging Talon website. It might have been called the 'Not Like Most Reading List'?

I've found a lot of the books mentioned there coincide with the wonderful reading and viewing lists available of the Church of Satan website.

One book I read and enjoyed was Florence King's 'With Charity Toward None'.

But of course the CoS 'canonical' texts are always the best laugh

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43641 Topics
404159 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements