Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#403050 - 11/23/09 02:05 PM Satanism and Marriage
Carpe_Noctem Offline

Loc: Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Good afternoon everyone(depending on where you are), I was wanting to ask a few questions.

Currently I'm a United States Marine, and going through a discharge. I work at the Chapel(church) on the base I'm at. Everyone here knows what I believe and Everything is fine. I don't participate in anything, I only do some office work. However, through my days working here, I have heard a lot of things. A few being:

You have to believe in god to get married.

-I know this is false obviously, but when they talk about marriage and weddings they talk about a covenant with god, and that I can't have a marriage without Christianity(which pissed me off enough).

But now my thing is. Me and my girlfriend are wanting to get married. For that extra 'something' in our relationship. We don't need it, but I think you understand. I'm obviously not going to get married in a christian church.

What are your comments on where, when, and procedural aspects of the wedding?

And could someone sum up marriage for me in Satanist terms, because from what I read so far:

You can be married, I mean there aren't any restrictions, I guess I just want to know what I asked before, and point me in the direction of a source to look at if there is one, I can't find it.

Edited by Carpe_Noctem (11/23/09 02:06 PM)

#403054 - 11/23/09 03:17 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
Waya Offline
CoS Member

Maybe you should consider going to the justice of the peace to get married. You have every right to throw out "God" when it comes to the actual ceremony. No one is forced to have that. By doing this, all you have to say is that you do not wish to have a holy matrimony. If you know someone personally or a paster that does not mind doing this, that may be the way to go. I had a paster(that is a friend of my mother) marry me and my wife. He had no problem with me telling him that I did not want a holy matrimony. It really depends on who you know.

Quote:

I left this up to my Wife. LOL. laugh

When it comes to a Satanic Wedding(from my understanding) you have to personally know someone of the Priesthood to have them marry the two of you. I'm sure someone here within the Heirarchy can answer this section of the question better than me regarding Satanism/Marriage.

I wish the two of you the best of luck. smile

"We are superior, and are superior not by ethnic means, but by the superior force of the will -- the imagination, the creativity, and the very essence of resourcefulness, and survival, that is the heart and the very soul of the Satanist."
~Anton LaVey

#403057 - 11/23/09 03:23 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

We, as an organization, feel that marriage is a deeply personal decision that only you can consider. But for what it's worth, my opinion is and has always been that you are married when you say you are married, and no one else need officiate or approve it (excepting legal benefits, etc - nor is this in opposition of legally officiated marriages, which carry a number of benefits), nor can any gainsay it.

#403058 - 11/23/09 03:31 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Your question:
Quote:
And could someone sum up marriage for me in Satanist terms,...

Your answer:
Quote:
Me and my girlfriend are wanting to get married. For that extra 'something' in our relationship.

Quote:

These are things the two of you should really decide, don't you think? In my opinion, marriage is a private function between adults that can, but not necessarily, serve to enhance the pair-bond, so who better to judge where, when and what should be incorporated into the wedding than the pair making their bond "official"?

Edit***As I was responding to your post, it seems you've been answered quite thoroughly, so consider mine simple reiteration. jack

Edited by Mr_Atrox (11/23/09 03:33 PM)
Edit Reason: Look up.

#403060 - 11/23/09 03:48 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Mr_Atrox]
Carpe_Noctem Offline

Thank both of you, now just left with the:

I want a 'formal' wedding in the sense that it has been lined out. Are there no satanic wedding 'procedures' if you will? Or is it all personal preference what goes on?

Mainly I'm saying, I want a Satanic Wedding with the most ties possible.

Does that make sense?

#403064 - 11/23/09 03:58 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Hello Sir,

>>I want a 'formal' wedding in the sense that it has been lined out. Are there no satanic wedding 'procedures' if you will? Or is it all personal preference what goes on?

Mainly I'm saying, I want a Satanic Wedding with the most ties possible.

Does that make sense?

Sort of.

There is nothing wrong with having a Satanic wedding. I personally feel it would have far more meaning to me than a standard traditional wedding. But again, you have to take into account your soon-to-be wife. Does she too want a Satanic marriage?

High Priest Gilmore’s book The Satanic Scriptures has a Satanic Wedding ritual within its covers.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#403065 - 11/23/09 04:00 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
First, to be legally married is a contract you make with the government and not any church or religion. Just note that you must purchase a marriage license usually from your county clerk's office in order to get a legal marriage.

Second, "A Satanic Wedding" ceremony is found on page 231 of The Satanic Scriptures by Magus Peter Gilmore, our High Priest. I would suggest obtaining a copy and reading that chapter for detailed answers to your overall questions.

And congratulations to both of you!

#403066 - 11/23/09 04:01 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The Satanic Scriptures by High Priest Peter Gilmore contains his Satanic wedding ceremony. Though I'm sure even he would hasten to add, for the past 40 years, Satanic weddings have been essentially a personalized collaboration between the celebrant (usually a CoS Priest) and the couple in question, so virtually any ceremony or variation on his own is not only permissible but encouraged if you desire it.

Of course, I'm also quite certain he'd hasten to add our usual two caveats:

- The CoS does not offer wedding, funerary, or other civic services as a regular function. Whether a CoS Priest will perform a ceremony is at his discretion and the details of that ceremony are to be worked out between the official and the interested parties. In short, if you want a CoS Priest to do it, you'll have to persuade them to do so either through friendship, compensation, etc.
- The CoS has never attempted to present our ceremonies as legally binding, hence it is usually the case that you must still acquire a civic ceremony in court prior to the Satanic ceremony if you wish for it to be legally binding. Obviously purely ceremonial marriages in which legal status is irrelevant can be done without this.

#403068 - 11/23/09 04:04 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

I recommend you pick up a copy of "The Satanic Scriptures" by Magus Gilmore. There's a wedding ceremony included towards the back of the book. smile
Prevention of Virtue

#403071 - 11/23/09 04:09 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: LKRice]
Carpe_Noctem Offline

Okay, thank you everyone, and by the way, everything on the recommended reading list is being shipped via amazon.com now.

SO I will look into that and i will make our decision on that.

An to answer the question, Yes, she also wants a satanic wedding.

#403073 - 11/23/09 04:11 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: LKRice]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
My girlfriend and I have decided that we will be having both a "regular" marriage ceremony in her home town with both of our families, as well as a Satanic wedding.

We decided we would have the whole "god" part of the Christian ceremony omitted. (Most pastors are fine with this if you just ask).

Also, she has agreed that before our "Christian" wedding, she and I will preform the Satanic Wedding as described by Magus Gilmore in the Satanic Scriptures privately, with slight modification to make it able to be preformed without a priest present.

Edited by Iscariot (11/23/09 04:12 PM)

#403079 - 11/23/09 04:28 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Carpe_Noctem]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>An to answer the question, Yes, she also wants a satanic wedding.

Enjoy yourself and good luck with your endeavors.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#403083 - 11/23/09 04:35 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Discipline]
Bridget Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm also engaged and in the process of planning my wedding.
There are probably plenty of nonreligious venues in your area. I found a Butterfly Conservatory that has thousands of free flying butterflies and other animals.

As for planning a ceremony, what's more Satanic than personalizing it? We're hiring a celebrant to make our marriage official and help assist us in customizing it. You could always write Satanic inspired vows. My fiance and I are focusing on what we enjoy and hold dear. You can get really creative with the ceremony and reception. We love nature so the Conservatory fits us perfectly. Our invitations are made of plantable paper and the wedding favors are tree seedlings. The possibilities are endless.

This site might be useful http://www.celebrantinstitute.org/

#403090 - 11/23/09 04:54 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Bridget]
Carpe_Noctem Offline

Thanks so much Bridget.

All of the personalization things were a given, and hearing Iscariot's plans has also helped. The dual-wedding idea is great, and I haven't even thought about that. Thanks!

I really appreciate everyone being so helpful, so thank you all again.

#403092 - 11/23/09 05:13 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Waya]
Fenriz Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Washington
I don't think a person or the couple needs to personally know the reverend or priest in order for him to preside over a Satanic wedding. From my personal experience, that wasn't the case. With the wedding I was involved in, the groom contacted and met with the CoS reverend a few times before the ceremony but had no existing relationship before that. Of course, he and the couple became friends afterward.

#403094 - 11/23/09 05:26 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Fenriz]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

No, it's not strictly necessary, though as a general thing you'll still have to convince them to expend their time (and travel if applicable, unless you're willing to compensate for travel). Probably some take personal pleasure from performing the ceremony and will do it if they simply consider it a worthwhile couple, others may do it strictly for personal friends, if at all; conversely, some may only perform ceremonies for long time members of the CoS or whatever other qualifications.

On the precise opposite side of the coin, I'd add that most couples considering this will prefer one or another official as a personal friend or someone they hold in particular esteem. After all, it's just as important, if not moreso, that they be completely satisfied with the proceedings.

#403165 - 11/23/09 11:43 PM Re: Satanism and Marriage [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Fenriz Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Washington
Thank you for your input Priest von Troje. It's very useful information.

I just want to add that the groom for the wedding I attended did have to compensate for travel and had to consider other factors to make the ceremony worthwhile for the CoS reverend who officiated the wedding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43882 Topics
404447 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements