Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#406336 - 12/20/09 10:57 AM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: John Prophet]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I can imagine more elegant solutions to property theft such as demonstrated today with online back-up programs.

A few years ago, if you used a computer at home you could expect to pay around $2000 for a basic system and then would have to spend hours to back up your files on floppy disks (remember those?).

Today the prices are much lower and very good computer systems can run about $500, and instead of manually having to back up data to disks or jump drives, using encrypted online backup systems your data is streamed off site as you work.

Years ago if your office or house were burglarized or burned down and your back up disks were stolen or destroyed you were out of luck.

Today, they can steal your computer and the same day you can go out and buy another one and restore your files automatically.

The theft is now 25% of the value of your earlier computer.

The theft of your data in non-existent (if you kept your encryption keys secure elsewhere).

Consequently, there is less and less for the criminals to steal as the technology becomes more and more sophisticated!

You can see the same thing with home movies. You used to buy VHS tapes of films, then DVDs. Increasingly, movies are cheap and easy to see online.

Before a burglar could steal your VHS tape tapes or DVD collection. Now there is nothing to steal but increasingly inexpensive access systems.

Same with music. Earlier 33.3 RPM long playing vinyl records, then audio cassette tapes, then CDs, then MP3 files.

Earlier very expensive home stereo systems, then today ear buds and MP3 players under $50.

This is an example of what I mean about how improved technology increased the overall wealth of society.

Later clothing, transportation, and housing will become involved as well.

When everything a thief can steal is cheap, crime will be less a concern, and there will consequently be fewer motivations for thievery.

#406337 - 12/20/09 11:10 AM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: Nemo]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
I cannot help but think about simpler technologies we use to enhance our experience of life

Not so many years ago, speaking into a microphone and seeing one's words appearing on screen was only the province of science fiction.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is now a normal part of life.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#406464 - 12/21/09 11:09 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: TheAbysmal]
Zaranell Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Originally Posted By: Vitaeviternus
I just cannot fathom not existing.

I think you can. Haven't you ever slept through a night without dreaming? Not existing would be the same thing, I imagine.

Personally, I would choose death over an eternity of fire.

Edited by Zaranell (12/21/09 11:09 PM)

#406511 - 12/22/09 03:56 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: Zaranell]
DryghtenShahara Offline
CoS Member

Loc: UR
Just because you don't remember your dreams, it doesn't mean you did not dream. It is just a signal that you may want to better develop your dream recall. When such a portion of our lives is spent physically asleep, it is a shame to miss out on the experiences we have while in that state.

And for choosing death over ....... (fill in the blank).

Death is never the better choice.

Dryghten Shahara

#406519 - 12/22/09 07:04 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: DryghtenShahara]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: DryghtenShahara
Just because you don't remember your dreams, it doesn't mean you did not dream. It is just a signal that you may want to better develop your dream recall. When such a portion of our lives is spent physically asleep, it is a shame to miss out on the experiences we have while in that state.

And for choosing death over ....... agonizing torture, violent mutilation, incomprehensible suffering, waking up to the sounds of your own screams because the pain is too much to stand.

Death is never the better choice.

I played your mad lib game, sir, and you were wrong. grin

#406530 - 12/22/09 09:57 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: TheDegenerate]
TheAbysmal Offline

You forgot hellish nightmares where you are being chased by an unseen foe but cannot run, and when you try to scream, it comes out as an inaudible eek, then blood pours from your mouth...

Still, better than death. :P

Refuse to die.

#406534 - 12/22/09 10:15 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: TheAbysmal]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
The Degenerate has a point and I don't doubt you understood it, but to add my own two cents- A nightmare or almost any degree of pain may be favorable to death for many. But I doubt anyone here lacks an understanding of a mercy killing or euthanasia. Death alone is surely preferable to five years of extreme unending debilitating cancer pain culminating in death anyway. Humans can be put into a state where they are mere pain receptacles, unable to think past the nausea, feel past the intense agony, even move or speak or do anything else but suffer. I can't imagine any of us would prefer a few more years of life like that to a simple, painless death on a high note.

As to a previous post, I think it's strange to be unable to fathom not exiting. We have all, at some point in time, not existed. Why should not existing again be any different?

#406535 - 12/22/09 10:33 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: Delta]
TheAbysmal Offline

Delta,

You make an excellent point, one I had wondered would come up or not. As far as mercy killings or euthanasia go... Again, I can only offer conjecture. I would not opt for it myself, nor would I deny it of another, even a loved one. In fact, if one wanted to die so certainly, and asked me to assist--and it were not illegal or detrimental to me--I would help.

Again, just conjecture. I have not suffered through terminal cancer, much less the torment of Biblical Hell. Likewise, my logical mind tells me that in the years of suffering through cancer or any number of terminal diseases, a cure could emerge at any moment. I would hate to miss that boat just because I was in pain.

It is a bit of a tautology, but I cannot fathom not existing. I could not when I did not exist. Now that I do, I cannot fathom going back to that state--certainly do not wish it, anyway. And, if I did wind up that way, I again would not be around to fathom it.

But... that is not how I meant it. I simply meant that I will not choose death.

Refuse to die.

#406544 - 12/22/09 11:27 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: TheDegenerate]
DryghtenShahara Offline
CoS Member

I understand what you are saying and for many humans that is a logical answer. It is just not a point of view I share and that is fine, too.

I would still refuse to accept death.

Dryghten Shahara

#406548 - 12/22/09 11:45 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: DryghtenShahara]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

...for many humans that is a logical answer.

Many humans choose it to be the only answer. wink

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#406551 - 12/22/09 11:55 PM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: Phineas]
DryghtenShahara Offline
CoS Member

Very true.

Dryghten Shahara

#406556 - 12/23/09 02:09 AM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: Delta]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Death alone is surely preferable to five years of extreme unending debilitating cancer pain culminating in death anyway. Humans can be put into a state where they are mere pain receptacles, unable to think past the nausea, feel past the intense agony, even move or speak or do anything else but suffer. <<

There are logical answers. And there are actual realities.

It is quite easy to think one can stand pain for the greater good. But when the pain is severe enough - far tougher men than anyone here have cried out to be relieved of the agony. At that point logic doesn't come into it.

Many here talk about "humans" as if they themselves aren't one.

It's a psychological flaw if anyone believes themselves completely impervious. The human will can be broken. Some people are tougher than others. But anyone can have their will broken - and severe, prolonged pain is a sure-fire way of doing so.

Even battle hardened Navy Seals or S.A.S Commandos have broken down under torture.

The really strong humans are the ones who understand the fragility of their own humanity.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#406558 - 12/23/09 02:24 AM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
The really strong humans are the ones who understand the fragility of their own humanity.

tiki

#406560 - 12/23/09 02:31 AM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: TECHNO]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Death will in effect be redundant as any data saved in a secure location (like a back up hard drive) could be reproduced and replicated. <<

I have no reason to believe that the cybernetics you speak of will not happen. I think it will happen in time.

However, unless you are speaking of completely removing human nature you seem to be overlooking the fact that the one area where man's creativity knows no bounds is in his ability to create new ways of killing each other.

All prospect of this coming technology makes one wonder how wars of the future will be fought. Human nature being what it is.

Or as John Morlar in the film The Medusa Touch points out:

"We find out what powers the sun and we make bombs with it."

As the technology develops, so will new methods of killing and warfare.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#406561 - 12/23/09 02:53 AM Re: Satanism and Transhumanism [Re: Nemo]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Nemo

Today, they can steal your computer and the same day you can go out and buy another one and restore your files automatically.

When everything a thief can steal is cheap, crime will be less a concern, and there will consequently be fewer motivations for thievery.

But then YOU still have to pay for a new computer.

The value of the product they are stealing means nothing in some of these cases.The criminal mind is different.

The best teacher to a human,is physical pain.So if there were a way for them to feel immense pain as they were trying to steal your property(i.e.your property defending itself via major electric shock),they would be less likely to want to do so again.If they could merely sell it for less value than it was worthy,it merely prompts more stealing of more property,to get more money for their desired needs (drugs probably)

I agree with you that this is a good temporary fix.But as we invent new ways to prevent crime,the criminal evolves as well. . .

At least in my mind,immense physical (and well deserved) pain would be delivered unto those who try to take what isn't theirs,and leaves that lesson seared into their minds.

Simply put,they can either walk away with no stolen product and immense pain,
OR
with the stolen product (useless as it may be rendered)to use it for their own devices. coopdevil

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12216 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406127 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements