Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#405750 - 12/14/09 07:25 PM Ritual Swords
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

Loc: Maryland,USA
I'm sure this has been mentioned before..But I'm interested in knowing what went in to choosing your ritual sword. Was it simply a matter of just getting any one, or was there one in particular you decided on. What made you choose the one you did? I'd also love to hear about any variations on the sword idea.

#405751 - 12/14/09 07:43 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
I use a replica of a Nazi officer's ceremonial sword (I don't think its an accurate replica... mostly just a sword with Nazi imagery on it...) The reason I chose this particular sword was due to the power and the emotion which is attributed with the symbols engraved into it as well as the hatred and pain they symbolized. Also, the "taboo" nature of Nazi paraphernalia adds an aura of mystery and "dabbling with the forbidden" to it. All these factors evoke an emotional response for me and add to the power of my ritual experience.

Edited by Iscariot (12/15/09 11:21 AM)

#405754 - 12/14/09 08:01 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I actually use a dagger that I picked up in an occult shop some years back. I think I just picked it up as a result of aesthetics, practicality as a cutting too, and just stumbling across it at the right time and place. It serves its purpose for me.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#405764 - 12/14/09 09:04 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Bill_M]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

I picked up my sword while visiting a bazaar in Iraq. The reason I bought the sword was simple: it looks cools to me and I was able to haggle fifty bucks off the price.

Attachments
Sword.jpg

#405765 - 12/14/09 09:04 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Lust Offline

As a young devil I remember watching Conan wield his powerful sword. The brutish manipulation of such an awesome instrument crystallized and became a sought after tool as an adult. This broadsword is a symbol of aggressive force, and when used is an extension when gesturing, or pointing to Baphomet etc.. See pictures just below and yes, those are three assassin daggers above/inside the pommel.

Edited by Tier Instinct (12/14/09 09:08 PM)
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#405787 - 12/15/09 02:06 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
I have a Pappenheimer Rapier. Swords in medieval times were initially wide broadswords. These would dent armour but usually proved otherwise ineffective. With the Rapier swords, new manufacturing processes in the steel industry meant that they could make thinner blades. These new rapiers would pierce armour.

The symbolism of piercing is something that appealed to me in the choice of sword.

However, it's not a cliche I like - but my pen is my primary weapon. Because this is my main area of magic I am not going to discuss it. But I collect pens that become as talismans. They have magical power.

Pappenheimer Rapier:

Attachments
Big-Pap-Copper.jpg

#405803 - 12/15/09 06:09 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
This is my ritual dagger and its sheath. I like it because it has a dangerous, technological or industrial aesthetic to it that I find pleasing. Kind of a dark, science fiction feel. It represents cold, ruthless progress and innovation.

The end of it is a little bit scorched because I’ve burned a number of “parchments” on it during ritual.

Attachments
dagger2.jpg

Edited by John Prophet (12/15/09 08:23 AM)

#405808 - 12/15/09 08:32 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
Like Rev. Strongbone, I also find the imagery of piercing very important in my ritual. I wanted something very simple, so not to detract from the base nature of my rituals, kind of getting back to my primal nature. This is what I chose, a Rondel.

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#405890 - 12/16/09 01:41 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Diwanna]
SpeshulK Offline

Loc: UT
Well, I have not acquired an actual "sword" to be used for the purpose of ritual as yet, so for now I make do with this long dagger I purchased a few years back on the few occasions that I choose to employ Greater Magic:

I don't think I need to explain why. wink

#406437 - 12/21/09 07:20 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
I'm somewhat amused that you as a soldier have so ornate and beautiful a ritual sword, when I as an artist have a Kabar for mine.

#406441 - 12/21/09 07:55 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Delta]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

I recently ordered mine and I'm waiting for it to show up. It was one of those love at first sight things. When I saw it, I knew it was for me. Now I play the waiting game.

#406443 - 12/21/09 07:57 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Delta]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Now THAT is a beautiful peice of steel my friend. Mine has too many umm "spots" on it.

#406444 - 12/21/09 07:58 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

Sometimes you just gotta cut a bitch...

#406446 - 12/21/09 08:02 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

it also isn't a good idea to do woodcarving at 1:30 in the morning when you're tired. What were you talking about? crossbones

#406447 - 12/21/09 08:04 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

Bitch is...um..Swahili for cheesecake....

#406452 - 12/21/09 08:36 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
I should clarify that the photo is a generic one from google images, mine is an Ontario era Navy blade and is quite well worn. Much of its appeal comes from the fact it has clearly seen "use". It has a story, one I will never know. But in my time it's been an artistic inspiration, a sense of safety by my side, a sculpture, a danger, a hundred other things. And it holds an edge like nothing else I've ever seen, I sharpened it once and may never again. An amazing creature.

#406453 - 12/21/09 08:37 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
For years now I've used a WWII-era Japanese nodachi for special rituals. It features beautiful engraving that runs the length of the blade on both sides. The sword is rather unwieldy at 55 inches, but definitely offers that unique touch which I find lacking in mass-produced specimens.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#406488 - 12/22/09 11:15 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Delta]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Probably because he is a soldier and not a marine. Marines are issued k-bars.

I still use my k-bar for rituals.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#406503 - 12/22/09 03:12 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Delta]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Delta
I'm somewhat amused that you as a soldier have so ornate and beautiful a ritual sword, when I as an artist have a Kabar for mine.

Could it be that your chosen ritual implement is helping you to fulfill the needs of your “demonic” personality? (perhaps the opposite of your artistic side)

#406616 - 12/23/09 04:04 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: John Prophet]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

These aren't my pics..but same sword. Just got it in a couple hours ago. Drakkar is pleased.

#406646 - 12/23/09 09:41 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!

Where did you come across it?

... I have a thing for Japanese metallurgy and smithing techniques.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#406702 - 12/24/09 09:08 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: AurEum]
precision Offline

Original poster:

look for a sword that looks right back at you.

#406966 - 12/28/09 11:36 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: precision]
Alleycat Devil Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
I picked this gem up up years ago.

The shape of the blade has a unique tuning-fork quality, and rings distinctivly sharp tones when struck against my chalice, which removes my need for a separate gong or simular sonic device.

#406982 - 12/29/09 07:52 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Mine has a rooster handle, with rooster motif on the sheath.
Care to guess why? wink

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#407029 - 12/29/09 02:22 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
You think Cocks are beatiful?

#407030 - 12/29/09 02:32 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: ArtAche86]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: ArtAche86
You think Cocks are beatiful?

Uh...sure. Let's go with that.

I found it at Myrtle beach. It was at an elaborate Chinese Restaurant. I bought the dagger and took one of the cute Chinese waitresses into the back room. Half an hour later, I was horny again.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#407089 - 12/30/09 09:03 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

Be careful with that joke, it's an antique. coopdevil

#408004 - 01/08/10 03:13 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
TECHNO Offline

Loc: -31.955658,115.859928
I am particularly fond of my Chinese Dao at the moment because it is a weapon I actively train with and so it is symbolically potent to me.

Before this sword I have used a Japanese Tanto and also a sceptre which I crafted myself.

#408052 - 01/08/10 03:59 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: TECHNO]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: TECHNO
and also a sceptre which I crafted myself.

I think it would be extemely personal,and therefore more potent,to make your own sword.I just wouldn't know how to go about real metalcrafting.

#408058 - 01/08/10 04:23 PM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: ArtAche86]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I think it would be extemely personal,and therefore more potent,to make your own sword.I just wouldn't know how to go about real metalcrafting.

Same here, which is precisely why I DON'T attempt to make my own sword! I leave that to the professionals.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#408103 - 01/09/10 01:04 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Bill_M]
TECHNO Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M

Same here, which is precisely why I DON'T attempt to make my own sword! I leave that to the professionals.
Originally Posted By: Bill_M

Yeah same. I'm no blacksmith or metallurgist.

That picture is my Dao which I bought from a martial arts supply store.

The scepter I made was simply a part of a disused steel gate which had the look of a spearhead that I had a friend weld to a steel rod. It was quite crude but it served its purpose.

#408115 - 01/09/10 03:57 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: TECHNO]
SteelAndStone Offline

Loc: California
I actually did craft my own "sword" when I was 16, by taking a grinder to a piece of steel I picked up at a hardware store. It's a sword in name only--it's crude, undersized, and useless as a weapon--but it serves me well for ritual purposes.

Techno--I'm intrigued by the idea of creating a scepter, rather than a sword. I've been toying with the idea of crafting an object to replace the sword I described above. Perhaps I'll take a cue from you and try a scepter or staff.

The Book of Steel and Stone

#408242 - 01/10/10 01:33 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
I have crafted several ceremonial 'Swords" for different rituals. My two favorite have been an antique Narwhal tooth/tusk and a more recent Stingray ..er stinger.. thing. Both were gifts from fellow occultists who knew my affinity for both the sea as well as the Love Craft Mythos.
Use what feels right. its YOUR vision. in the Psychic decompression chamber only YOU are god, so only YOu can say what is right or wrong for your ritual and result.
I find that The secret of successful ritual is the confidence of those involved.

good luck with your decision!

#408244 - 01/10/10 01:42 AM Re: Ritual Swords [Re: SteelAndStone]
TECHNO Offline

It is my pleasure that you have gained some insight or inspiration from my musings, and if your response to misguidedyouth's query regarding rituals is anything to go by you seem to have an innate understanding of the psychology of the ritual.
So when I say that while a sword is an obvious choice as a symbolically charged apparatus, you understand that it goes without saying that any evocative device can fill the role.

I have always found that one of the most powerful aspects of the ritual is that it is only limited by our imagination.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405514 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements