Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#406361 - 12/20/09 08:37 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Lyra]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Lyra
It's amusing how well they can perform logical gymnastics to connect Christianity with Lady in the Water, The Simpsons, and Steve Irwin. smirk

I think Steve Irwin's death was a bigger sacrifice, at least to my entertainment.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#406362 - 12/20/09 08:57 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Bill_M]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

Loc: Maryland,USA
There was a time, at least when I was growing up, that The Simpsons were deemed the cartoon version of the antichrist. Funny now that they're trying to tie such a cartoon to Christian themes.

#406364 - 12/20/09 09:27 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
I remember an episode in which most of Springfield joins a cult. The pastor says to his last followers (Ned & Family), "This new cult is no more than mindless repetition and the taking of people's money! Now let's say the Lords prayer 5 times and pass the collection plate." Another episode sees Maggie scoring high on an IQ test, the test giver exclaims, "That's very high for a christian!"

When they try to claim Family Guy their end is nigh.

#406384 - 12/21/09 04:31 AM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: HellofallHells]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: HellofallHells
Yes and I thought that was pretty clear by now as it has been repeated countless times on here. Although I'm sure Verszou understands that and it was just a poor choice of words on his part.

Well, just as a courtesy to new readers...

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#406403 - 12/21/09 10:41 AM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Bill_M]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Yes of course. It has to be pointed out when it comes up. Not a critisism of your efforts at all.

#406411 - 12/21/09 01:17 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Bill_M]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
Originally Posted By: HellofallHells
Yes and I thought that was pretty clear by now as it has been repeated countless times on here. Although I'm sure Verszou understands that and it was just a poor choice of words on his part.

Well, just as a courtesy to new readers...

Absolutely. I though that was the motive behind your correction. And it does need to be said again and again because it's something that not only christians but many others get wrong too - for instance, I didn't realize the distinction when I first came here.

#406419 - 12/21/09 04:37 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: verszou]
Ms. Harlot Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Unfortunately, I've been guilty of using the term "LaVeyan Satanism" to explain real Satanism to someone unfamiliar. It sort of makes a person take notice that it's something different than what they think they know of. If they're interested enough to really engage in a good discussion about it, I tell them the details. That probably doesn't help though.

#406420 - 12/21/09 04:45 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Ms. Harlot]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
"LaVeyan Satanism" implies that there are multiple kinds of Satanism. There are not.

#406421 - 12/21/09 05:07 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Drimlybunk]
Ms. Harlot Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Yes, I know that, and it probably does a great disfavor for Satanism, but it had helped me avoid a confrontation before. Now that I've studied about it more, I will indeed keep myself from making that mistake.

#406433 - 12/21/09 06:46 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Delta]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Delta
Another episode sees Maggie scoring high on an IQ test, the test giver exclaims, "That's very high for a christian!"

There’s a similar gag in an episode of Family Guy, where a psychologist pulls out a chart explaining different levels of intelligence, and right below “mentally retarded” he has “Creationists”. laugh

#406531 - 12/22/09 10:00 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: John Prophet]
S810 Offline

Loc: northwest
when i first read some of the stuff on this site, it wasn't very long before i realized they put almost everyone in the wrong box at one point.

lots of bad information altogether, but it is a consolation that their ignorance will be the beacon that stears anyone who THINKS away.

#406536 - 12/22/09 10:40 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Ms. Harlot]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: Ms. Harlot
Yes, I know that, and it probably does a great disfavor for Satanism, but it had helped me avoid a confrontation before.

I've done the same thing, for very much the same reason. Every shithead on the planet with a television or a subscription to Readers Digest fancies themselves an expert on "Real Satanism," so you do often have to use various techniques to get them to sit down, shut up, and listen.

But, I believe it is vitally important to then wean people off of the idea of different and diverse "Satanisms" as soon as possible, once they've been educated about the real deal, and then absolutely insist upon that standard.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#406543 - 12/22/09 11:16 PM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: TrojZyr]
TheAbysmal Offline

This is such a sticky point with Satanism. In respect, I absolutely agree that it is a vitally important distinction to make. But, not everyone will see it this way.

People call Liquid Paper "whiteout" even though it is not White Out. People call--much less, these days--copying "Xeroxing" even if the machine is a Konica, Cannon, or some other.

There is something to be said for what has, for no good reasons, become a household name.

Some people just do not see a word for what it was meant to mean.

That you mention "insist[ing] upon that standard" even elucidates the problem: Satanism as codified by Anton LaVey is the Golden Standard, if you will, of what Satanism is. The attribution "LaVeyan Satanism" is not going away so long as their are other institutions of similar name. If anything, it will just become more of a household name as more and more institutions subsume the moniker "Satanism" in their names or customs.

I am not saying it is right or anyone should stop insisting on what is correct. Just saying that, despite any valiant efforts, it is not going away.

Refuse to die.

#406552 - 12/23/09 12:28 AM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: TheAbysmal]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
You see the same thing happening with for instance the word "Hacker". It goes back to MIT, even to the days before computers were widespread. The original use was to denote a person with skills, but over the years it was misused to refer to criminals who break into computer systems.
Even though the open source community tries to retain the word in its original meaning and refer to the criminals as crackers, the damage is done. Even among those who break into systems you have white hat, black hat and grey hat variants of the hacker name.

Getting back to the "LaVeyan Satanism" term, I often prefer to refer to Church of Satan instead of LaVey, to point out to people that it is an active organisation, not a personality cult. After all when I look at my bookshelf these days, the books by other members of the hierarchy outweigh the number of books by LaVey.

#406578 - 12/23/09 06:30 AM Re: Christians who actually get the differences in Satanism [Re: Lyra]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12158 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405738 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements