Topic Options
#407007 - 12/29/09 12:02 PM An unlikely anti-christ comedian
Skjalandir Offline

Loc: England
I'm not sure what news you get over in the states, and most of us are not interested in pop culture, so I thought I would bring this to the table for discussion.

Oddly enough in the past few months Ricky Gervais has started pushing atheism more than usual, which is seems fantastic as it is causing a big uproar by Christians and is getting on a lot of peoples nerves.

I won't give a review on the film 'The Invention of Lying' as how good it is or is not isnít important, but it has done a good job of offending Christians.

Another thing interesting is some of the lengths he is going lately to piss the religious groups off. This is one of his quotes..

"So kids, tonight's the night when a man in a sleigh, powered by reindeer visits every child in the world in one night. Only joking obviously. Remember when we all believed that impossible scenario? Silly. But we know that's not what Christmas is about now don't we. Christmas is about a child who was born of a virgin womb and who's father created the entire universe in six days about 5,000 years ago. Let's never stop believing that one."

My own thoughts on this are that it is great that someone who has gotten himself recognised all over the world is using his power to take on Religion and is not shying away (yet) from the outraged response.

So, thoughts?
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#407010 - 12/29/09 12:16 PM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Skjalandir]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Krishna is the reason for the season! grin

More seriously, secular humor in the big cities has been the norm for more than a generation. George Carlin was probably one of the major innovators of that pattern, though street-smart people in show business have been a tradition going back at least to the troubadours of the Middle Ages.

I would suggest that well performed humor does more to cause people to question unchallenged (and unconsidered) cultural assumptions and norms than any well-reasoned argument or opinion offered by authority figures.

At the same time, humor can backfire. I once wrote an article for The Black Flame that was an over-the-top satire of the rebellious would-be "Satanist", with his fist in the air and his head in the sand. Many of the comments that flooded into Central after publication praised the article as serious! zombie

Never, never, underestimate the ability of people to not recognize your joke no matter how "obvious" you may believe it to be.

I can assure you that the comedian in question is taken seriously by more people than you could possibly imagine.

Trust me on this.

#407013 - 12/29/09 12:28 PM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Nemo]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Nemo
Never, never, underestimate the ability of people to not recognize your joke no matter how "obvious" you may believe it to be.

This brings to mind a certain internet phenomenon called Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."
http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#407014 - 12/29/09 12:36 PM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Skjalandir]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Skjalandir
My own thoughts on this are that it is great that someone who has gotten himself recognised all over the world is using his power to take on Religion and is not shying away (yet) from the outraged response.

Plenty of other stand-up comedians have done this over the years: Bill Maher, Eddie Izzard, George Carlin, David Cross, Doug Stanhope, Patton Oswalt, Bobby Slayton, Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, etc. Their earlier stuff wasn't nearly as "blasphemous". In fact, this follows an even more general trend of comedians shifting more towards being social commentators than pure entertainers.

Hmm, now if only there was some podcast where you could hear that good ol' blasphemous stuff... wink

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#407026 - 12/29/09 02:13 PM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Skjalandir]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Skjalandir
I won't give a review on the film 'The Invention of Lying' as how good it is or is not isnít important, but it has done a good job of offending Christians.

Offending Christians is one of the easiest things in the world to do.They don't have very tough skin,or open minds,and as the world is changing around them,they really just can't hang.

Soon enough Christians will be like that kid in the back of the class,when he raises his hand,that the teacher just ignores because he just doesn't get it,and no one likes him.
Oh and he annoints himself with smelly oils coopdevil

#407034 - 12/29/09 03:00 PM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Bill_M]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
This brings to mind a certain internet phenomenon called Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."
http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

That's brilliant!

...Except that many people will not understand it, and many of the rest will assume that a winking smiley really is put there to camouflage the fact that the statement is entirely serious. grin

#407056 - 12/29/09 09:38 PM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Skjalandir]
Direktor Offline
CoS Member

I became a fan of Gervais after he boldly admitted to eating meat while still passionate about animal rights, causing quite a few PETA panties to bunch up in the process.

I think it's quite refreshing to see someone rise to such a status that's got that Satanic spunk!

The man is good in my book!

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."
-Hippolyte Taine

#407068 - 12/30/09 04:22 AM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Nemo]
Skjalandir Offline

Wise words and I am glad to be able to get a bit of a history lesson. You have peaked my interest in this subject more than I had originally brought with me to the topic!

I had never heard of George Carlin, but along with some of the names Reverend Bill_M also posted I have certainly got an interesting week ahead of me.
- Ian Dury

#407069 - 12/30/09 04:27 AM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Bill_M]
Skjalandir Offline

I am familiar with your work crossbones
- Ian Dury

#407071 - 12/30/09 04:37 AM Re: An unlikely anti-christ comedian [Re: Direktor]
Skjalandir Offline

One of my favourite examples was the response to his comments about how people and celebrities just fall onto anti-depressents now because living is too hard, only to have a huge reaction because a large percentage of his podcast viewers turned out to be the same weak people!

The fact he made comments about anti-depressents is not a big deal as a lot people are using it for comedy now, but it always amazes me that he has such a PC following and finds a way to annoy his own fans.
- Ian Dury

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43882 Topics
404447 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements