Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#407161 - 12/30/09 04:11 PM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Drakkar Tyrannis
I don't feel I would be "taken before my time" because no one guaranteed a certain life span and no one knows for sure what was set into motion and had been going on before I met my demise.

If you're just criticizing the cliche use of phrases like "taken before his time" or "died too young", because they can applied to virtually any obituary (and beg the question of when was the "right" or "too late" time to die), then I concur. Though I don't see the point in getting wrapped in all these philosophical notions like fate and predetermination.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#407179 - 12/30/09 06:22 PM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I agree that many people waste their time on mourning the deaths of celebrities and blow their actual care for that said individual(s) way out of proportion.

And of course there are many detestable, despicable wastes of existence who will NEVER get any of my sympathies when they're dead. I'll never, for a second, mourn people who have done extremely terrible and screwed-up things throughout their lives to others and/or themselves. That just seems asinine.

But.....

I don't agree that one should refrain from expressing their concerns or sympathies to friends/acquaintances/colleagues/etc. who have lost people in their lives that were decent human beings that showed consideration, compassion, loyalty.....only because he or she didn't know them.

Life guarantees NOTHING. But the universe isn't out to say who's next on the list to die, and when the appropriate time is. Predetermination of life and it's duration isn't a logical concept; if that were the case, nobody would probably even give a fighting chance to live another day to see what mysteries lie ahead in the future, no matter how close or far it may be.

#407180 - 12/30/09 06:48 PM Re: "natural" [Re: Nemo]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

Loc: Maryland,USA
Originally Posted By: Nemo
Quote:
It's the natural course of things. As with animals, humans, plants, all living things. To me that phrase indicates that they were supposed to live for an outlined amount of time, and fell short of that. You die when you are supposed to, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Nature has a way of keeping checks and balances and when it's time for you to go, it's time.

Substitute God and God's will for "nature" and "natural" and your quote becomes...

Quote:
It's God's will. As with animals, humans, plants, all living things. To me that phrase indicates that they were supposed to live for an outlined amount of time, and fell short of that. You die when you are supposed to, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. God has a way of keeping checks and balances and when it's time for you to go, it's time.

Everything is "natural" including every medical technological breakthrough that ever has been or will be.

Think it through and you'll see what I mean.

Point taken.

#407207 - 12/31/09 04:41 AM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I think some people have died before their time, even celebrities.

I lamented not hearing new songs on Freddie Mercury's voice. I would have enjoyed more shows with the Crocodile Hunter.

And I would definitely love to read a couple more books by Anton LaVey.

#407210 - 12/31/09 05:06 AM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Old_Pig]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Frank Zappa comes to mind. I think George Carlin should have gotten a few more years too.

Schubert wasn't the only composer to leave behind an unfinished symphony.

On the other hand, my paternal grandmother hung on for years babbling incoherently, unable to recognize anybody around her.

To me it's obvious that if nature has it's checks and balances that ensures that people die when it's their time, then we may need to send in the auditors and look at who is doctoring the books smile

#407240 - 12/31/09 01:08 PM Re: The Death Rant [Re: verszou]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: verszou
To me it's obvious that if nature has it's checks and balances that ensures that people die when it's their time, then we may need to send in the auditors and look at who is doctoring the books smile

Bravo!

#407256 - 12/31/09 05:06 PM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
Because rarely does one know all the factors. I do think things happen because they are supposed to. As to why they're supposed to and all..

Let's just throw the 6th Satanic Statement right out of the window. vomit

#407406 - 01/02/10 07:39 PM Re: The Death Rant [Re: verszou]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Frank Zappa comes to mind. I think George Carlin should have gotten a few more years too.

As admirable as their works are, I'd hardly call Zappa and Carlin examples of entertainers who "died before their time". They both left behind a HUGE back catalog of recordings, writings and interviews spanning several decades. They both received awards while they were alive. They both influenced two generations of entertainers while they were still alive.

On the other hand, for every Zappa or Carlin, there are hundreds of other entertainers who only released a handful of professional recordings (if even that), and more importantly seemed like they were evolving on their way to developing their own Magnum Opus, but died before really achieving it.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#407447 - 01/03/10 03:00 AM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Bill_M]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M

As admirable as their works are, I'd hardly call Zappa and Carlin examples of entertainers who "died before their time".

My reason for naming Zappa was that he was only in his fifties when he died, so he could in theory have had many productive years still. It would have been interesting to hear his take on the political correctness of today.

With Carlin I'd have liked him to live long enough to receive the Mark Twain prize that he got posthumously.

But you are correct in that they are not good examples of "dying before their time", they are more examples that people sometimes die even though they haven't outlived their usefulness.

#407574 - 01/04/10 06:30 AM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Bill_M]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
As admirable as their works are, I'd hardly call Zappa and Carlin examples of entertainers who "died before their time". They both left behind a HUGE back catalog of recordings, writings and interviews spanning several decades. They both received awards while they were alive. They both influenced two generations of entertainers while they were still alive.

On the other hand, for every Zappa or Carlin, there are hundreds of other entertainers who only released a handful of professional recordings (if even that), and more importantly seemed like they were evolving on their way to developing their own Magnum Opus, but died before really achieving it.

For me, “Lovecraft” is a name that comes to mind. If he had stayed alive longer, he might have, at the very least, enjoyed the fruits of his work and who knows what else he might have done if he had been able to live to an old age.

#407586 - 01/04/10 10:51 AM Re: The Death Rant [Re: John Prophet]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: John Prophet

For me, “Lovecraft” is a name that comes to mind. If he had stayed alive longer, he might have, at the very least, enjoyed the fruits of his work and who knows what else he might have done if he had been able to live to an old age.

Mentioning Lovecraft made me think of Robert E. Howard too, but since his death was suicide I guess one can say that he chose his own time.

Edited by verszou (01/04/10 10:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling misteak

#407798 - 01/06/10 02:50 AM Re: The Death Rant [Re: verszou]
Zaranell Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I'd have to agree with the sentiments regarding Lovecaft. I would love to read more stories written by an author as talented as he was. In addition, I refuse to believe that "it was time" for people like Cliff Burton or Dimebag Darrell to die. They could have had much longer careers - hell, if Dimebag hadn't been shot, Pantera might have one day reformed.

A few days ago the drummer for Avenged Sevenfold also died, and he was only in his mid-twenties. I'm not a very big A7X fan, but I did feel a pang of sadness when I read about his death.

#407894 - 01/07/10 02:32 AM Re: The Death Rant [Re: Zaranell]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Zaranell
- hell, if Dimebag hadn't been shot, Pantera might have one day reformed.

I often think of this,exact same thing.
Superjoint Ritual is a nice band,but all too in the shadow of Pantera.
When people ask me of "going to heaven and Hell" I often say,"Who wants to sit around in heaven with a bunch of cheesy elevator music?Pantera will be on the main stage in Hell!"

#407961 - 01/07/10 04:02 PM Re: The Death Rant [Re: ArtAche86]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: ArtAche86

When people ask me of "going to heaven and Hell" I often say,"Who wants to sit around in heaven with a bunch of cheesy elevator music?

Reminds me of the late great Biggie when he said this:

"It don't make sense, goin' to heaven wit the goodie-goodies
Dressed in white, I like black Tims and black hoodies
God will probably have me on some real strict shit
No sleepin' all day, no gettin my dick licked"

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
43870 Topics
405536 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM