Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#407262 - 12/31/09 07:32 PM Bye Bye Noughties!
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Someone once said to me that the so-called new year's resolution is a perfect example of how ancient votive offering religions still are structurally existing within human behaviour patterns. You make a promise before something of cultural importance (in this case the calendar event of a passing year count) in order to bestow your "event" with extraordinary magical powers and yourself with a sense of duty to uphold it.

The offering bit I suppose is the act of getting royally pissed on champagne before trying to kill yourself with creative use of fireworks.

Well, all I can say is that the double zero part of this fabulous new millenium wasn't all that great. I mean... WTF? Terror? War? Financial meltdown? I mean... I grew up during the height of the cold war years and reached sexual maturity right at the time when AIDS hit the market. As opposed to the generation before me who got post-war optimism and the summer of love.

It would be nice to have a decade with relative freedom from the fearmongers. Not so much for myself. I am too old and depraved to be afraid of anything any longer. But for my children.

But then again... who am I kidding? Humans get off on being scared.

However that may be... and whoever you are, wherever you live, however you prefer to have your perversions indulged; and whatever you believe in...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edited by XUL (12/31/09 07:34 PM)

#407263 - 12/31/09 07:53 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: XUL]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
And... in case you didn't get it the first time...

I will add this exceptional dance show as PROOF...

#407442 - 01/03/10 02:31 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: XUL]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California
The best new years resolution that anyone can make, is not to make any in the future. That way you can't dissapoint yourself.

#407449 - 01/03/10 03:45 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Pablovilla]
Skjalandir Offline

Loc: England
Who ever heard of a Satanist setting an aim, not achieving it and then disappointing themselve’s? What kind of Satanists are you? What happened to setting targets? Surely you have targets for the days, weeks, months, years, decades and lifetime?

Maybe don't make a New Year’s resolution as that is just one thing, but I'm sure it is not just me that has a harsh regime to hit heights that the herd cannot? I think spending December 31st writing a list of where I fucked up and what I can do better and making sure it is underlined for the next year works.
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#407453 - 01/03/10 04:48 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Skjalandir]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Skjalandir

Maybe don't make a New Year’s resolution as that is just one thing, but I'm sure it is not just me that has a harsh regime to hit heights that the herd cannot? I think spending December 31st writing a list of where I fucked up and what I can do better and making sure it is underlined for the next year works.

Very well put.

I did the same thing in the week between christmas and New Year. But December 31st is just an arbitrary date, so I think it's also important to revise and correct the plans and resolutions afterwards.

This year I knew that I'd underperformed in one area, because I'd underestimated how much effort is should put into it, so I'll factor that in this year.

Another area where I felt I hadn't achieved what I wanted turned out not to have any measurable goals, so I was stuck with the "gut feeling", so that's another one to put into this years plans.

Then there was one goal that I decided to drop. In the second half of the year another interesting goal turned up, and it was clear that I could not do both, so I went with the new goal and got that one.

One book I read about goals had an interesting term called "second stage failures" (my approximate translation back from the Danish version), where he likened the achievement of a goal with flying a rocket to the moon. The first stage is breaking free of gravity, i.e. getting started, breaking habits, getting motivation up. The second stage then is aiming for the moon and correcting the course when you're drifting away. The second stage failures forget this.

#407455 - 01/03/10 05:09 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: verszou]
Skjalandir Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou
I did the same thing in the week between christmas and New Year. But December 31st is just an arbitrary date, so I think it's also important to revise and correct the plans and resolutions afterwards.

Very right, too.

I would be very interested in the author and book, as funnily enough, one of my underlined targets is to speak fluent Norsk Bokmål this year and I am led to believe it should not take too much effort for me to understand Danish in the written form.
- Ian Dury

#407459 - 01/03/10 06:22 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Skjalandir]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: Skjalandir

I would be very interested in the author and book, as funnily enough, one of my underlined targets is to speak fluent Norsk Bokmål this year and I am led to believe it should not take too much effort for me to understand Danish in the written form.

The author is John Evan-Jones. He has a website where one can see the book which is called "Hvordan vinder vinderne?" (for the benefit of non-Scandinavians that is something like "How do winners win?") (http://www.evan-jones.dk/187). Apparently he has written many others and is a big business now. I only know the one book, so I cannot vouch for the rest of the site.

Good luck with your Bokmål studies smile

It seems the book was never translated into English.

#407460 - 01/03/10 06:47 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: verszou]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: verszou
I think it's also important to revise and correct the plans and resolutions afterwards.

I agree! I usually do my official "reflect, review, reprioritize" exercise around my birthday. Me getting older is far more important to me than, you know, the earth getting older. It's always seemed like a good idea to celebrate new beginnings. I mean, it's another chance to get it right. smile

Anyway, just for kicks, here's the short list I made about a month and half ago.

* Admit to myself that I am no good with names. I resolve to stop putting up a charade that I knew your name once and it has just slipped my mind. That's totally not true. I never knew your name. I barely know my name at this hour in the morning.

* Openly, visibly hate people more and, as a result, hopefully get less indigestion.

* Train to be a ninja.

* Try to remember that when I can no longer hear due to being horridly congested from a head cold, other people can still hear. And, according to Other People, my slurping on Halls non-stop sounds vaguely like one of those wet/dry vacs after a flood. Yeh. I'm going to try to remember that.

* Learn a language. Maybe even English.

* Stop trying to squelch the constant stream of Rod Serling narration in my head.

* Make more lists. They keep me focused.

HS!
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#407461 - 01/03/10 06:58 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Shade]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: Shade

* Train to be a ninja.

Yes! The world has far too few female ninjas ... at least as far as I know ... perhaps it is just my ninja-detection skills that are way off smile

#407465 - 01/03/10 08:17 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Shade]
Skjalandir Offline

Me getting older is far more important to me than, you know, the earth getting older.

True, although my Birthday falls four days before the New Year, so the week before the New Year is a heavy time of indulgence for me and the 31st of December is a good day to wrap the special time up for the next year.

Maybe I should have stressed that it was not a point of celebrating the New Year, but using it as a marker crazy

Fantastic list, here is another cow story for you...

Yesterday one of the cows managed to get ahold of my shit cleaning stick while another one kept guard. When I came to get it, the cow on guard moo'd a warning and the other cow ran away. You would be suprised at how often they have these 'missions', and it almost always involves a stick or a bucket.

Edited by Skjalandir (01/03/10 08:17 AM)
- Ian Dury

#407466 - 01/03/10 08:21 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: verszou]
Skjalandir Offline

Thankyou very much. laugh
- Ian Dury

#407478 - 01/03/10 12:47 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Shade]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky

* Try to remember that when I can no longer hear due to being horridly congested from a head cold, other people can still hear. And, according to Other People, my slurping on Halls non-stop sounds vaguely like one of those wet/dry vacs after a flood. Yeh. I'm going to try to remember that.

That alaways seemed to make a sore throat numb faster,didn't it? I think much in the same way that "smacking" seems to make cereals taste better. . .

Probably just me.

#407522 - 01/03/10 09:18 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Skjalandir]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California
I have goals, and all of those that are important to me I complete, unless for some reason they become illigal to finish. I have finished goals such as finishing my masters degree, have a job with medical insurance, a home, someone that looks forward to seeing me when I get home that enjoys my company, pets that make undesireables think twice before tresspassing, new vehicle that I enjoy, should I go on?

I think you missed my point, why make silly goals that mean little, that can't be completed. How many people start diet plans and fail, or stop smoking, or anything else. My post was about making stupid wishes to change things for other people, not for oneself. I think that it is stupid to make a new years resolution to loose weight, or anything else, as such things go against indulgence.

Also not everything can be completed by a cirtain date, some things must be completed before other things can. Such as building a car before you know what will power it.

#407533 - 01/03/10 10:47 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: Pablovilla]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Perhaps you were thinking "attainable" goals instead of "silly" goals?

If someone who smokes 3 packs a day decides to quit smoking on January 1st I wouldn't consider that silly. What I would consider silly is not adequately preparing mentally or physically and trying to white knuckle it through the withdrawal. Yes, it CAN be done, but that's really not the best plan.

Same thing for an obese person to set a goal of loosing weight. In fact, many symptoms of illnesses can be eliminated if overweight individuals shed 10% - 15% of their body weight. But lets face the facts: nobody's going to loose weight plopped on the couch shoving ho-hos in their face and watching Jerry Springer.

It's not healthy to smoke like a chimney, eat like a horse, or over indulge in other areas. Sure, indulgences can be fun and relaxing, but they shouldn't interfere with the quality of one's life. I bring this up because when I was new I went a little crazy on indulging in certain areas because dammit I'm a Satanist and therefore entitled to indulge. Currently there are times where I let myself do exactly what I wish, and others when I realize that certain behaviors need to be limited in order to achieve my overall goals.

There's a world of difference between saying "I'd like to ..." and "I'm going to do .... and here's how I'm going to accomplish it". I'd like to walk on the moon, but I'm not willing to put in the time, effort, and resources that it would require.

The majority of the herd is content with saying they'd like to do x, y, or z while sitting around and not actually doing anything to make it happen. Most Satanists that I know make things happen.

Like others have mentioned, I reflect and plan at least annually for the larger goals and more frequently for micro goals. Professionally I plan and alter strategies on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis. I figure if I'm willing to do that much for my business I should be willing to do at least as much for myself personally.

(For those who remember me from a while ago, I've been working on several new businesses and have had limited free time. Now that the Christmas season is over I will be frequenting this board again. It's good to be back, I've missed so many of you!)

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#407534 - 01/03/10 10:52 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: AurEum]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: Eleanor

(For those who remember me from a while ago, I've been working on several new businesses and have had limited free time. Now that the Christmas season is over I will be frequenting this board again. It's good to be back, I've missed so many of you!)

And by so many of us, you mean me, right? (Phosis)

Welcome back, long time no see! crossbones

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406035 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements