Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#408167 - 01/09/10 03:01 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: SINClair]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: SINClair

I agree

I knew you would agree. Thank you! I really am cute and cuddly!

#408171 - 01/09/10 03:59 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: ArtAche86]
Maupassant's Offline

Originally Posted By: ArtAche86
Good first post Maupassant's

Thank you

#408177 - 01/09/10 05:35 PM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: John Prophet]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
I see what you're saying.

The term 'to disappoint yourself' usually would make one think automaticaly think about something really extreme, such as an unaware behaviour against one's own nature, something that goes against one's own principles...like doing something wrong.

I don't think he meant it in that sense but so far so good, because neither did I.

Now, in another sense of the term, in a 'lighter' sense of the term, in the sense in question, I think we still remain in disagreement.

Take for instance quitting smoking or losing weight... It is entirely possible for a Satanist to have put on weight, decided to lose it, then aimed at losing for example 10kg in the year 2009, failed to do so then felt disappointed at themselves.

Same goes for smoking. It is entirely possible for a Satanist to have acquired the habit of smoking, decided to quit then aimed to have the last cigarrete in the year 2009, but bought and smoked a pack on the first week of 2010, therefore failing to achieve the aim of quitting smoking, and as a consequence felt disappointed at himself.

In both of these two examples/scenarios, I agree that Satanists are less likely to fail than you avarage believer, but I would not go as far as saying that real Satanists would never fail or feel disappointed at themselves by doing (or not doing) so.

#408249 - 01/10/10 03:27 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: SINClair]
Skjalandir Offline

Loc: England
I agree I was a bit off mark, but I did clear up that my original post was a bit too strongly worded. My focus was more on being against the 'donít make New Years resolutions' theme. Although I feel disappointment, it does not take me more than a minute to flip it around and ride it as motivation. I would say I am angry at my failings, not disappointed.

Anger works for me. If sitting there with a frown being disappointed works then go for it, but I need to kick a bin across the room to compose myself and make sure not to make the same mistakes again, even when it comes to losing weight. Kicking a bin burns calories.
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#408251 - 01/10/10 03:43 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: SINClair]
Maupassant's Offline

Originally Posted By: SINClair
I agree that Satanists are less likely to fail than you avarage believer, but I would not go as far as saying that real Satanists would never fail or feel disappointed at themselves by doing (or not doing) so.

Yes, but perhaps this isn't about the appearance of disappointment on one's mind, but what is done about it.

If someone fails to quit smoking, they often just sit around and think about it, thus creating the whole disappointment.

The idea is that a strong-willed person would admit 'Ok, I failed', but wouldn't go on pondering about the failure - they'd jump right to the next opportunity to break themselves free.

#408273 - 01/10/10 09:30 AM Re: Bye Bye Noughties! [Re: SINClair]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
I understand what you are saying and I agree.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406363 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements