Topic Options
#407494 - 01/03/10 04:17 PM Introducing Myself
Sohkrates Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I made a bit of an introduction in my first post here, but I thought something a bit more to the point would be good. I plan on keeping around in these forums for at least the month, probably more, so might as well let everyone know who I am.

I am 23 year-old university undergrad with a BA in philosophy and religious studies. I first found out about Satanism through a local internet radio station who did a program based on the Church of Satan. I liked what I had heard. At the time I was around 14 or 15 and becoming very interested in religion and philosophy. I found I was bumping against all the usual frustrations with the Judeo-Christian shtick- the problem of evil, free will, multiple different interpretations of the same source material, etc. But when I read through the Satanic Bible I realized I wasn't alone, and once more, there were answers. That book was probably instrumental in my becoming an atheist, and was certainly the first personal philosophy that I felt I could identify with.

Now, years later, I am trying to come to terms with this initial affair. During January 2010 I will be studying and practicing Satanism (which I went over already in my first post, so I'll spare you). I'm already feeling at home, so maybe I've found something that works for me. We'll see.

If you're interested in following my progress and letting me know when you think I got something completely ass-backwards you can do so at the year of faith website.

Other details- I am a bibliophile and a sadist who doesn't get to experience nearly enough BDSM these days (and this month will certainly act as an avenue for more of that kind of behavior, no doubt). I used to dye my hair blue, and I like Beethoven.

Let the indulging begin.

#407497 - 01/03/10 04:57 PM Re: Introducing Myself [Re: Sohkrates]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: Sohkrates
so maybe I've found something that works for me. We'll see.

While I am in agreement with the idea that "Satanists are born, not made." and that it is impossible to become what you are not, as far as your own life and your own perception goes, this is the bottom line in my opinion, about life in general, and to me, goes hand in hand with the "born not made" concept. If you ever find yourself trying to be something you aren't, you will eventually become disenchanted, bored, or even frustrated with it, IE, it stops working for you.

And for the record, I am not speaking on behalf of anyone here. These are my own opinions alone.

EDIT: Er, and to clarify, my first statement may have been a bit muddy...I am not accusing you of being one or the other. Regardless, welcome!

Edited by TheDegenerate (01/03/10 04:59 PM)

#407573 - 01/04/10 06:17 AM Re: Introducing Myself [Re: Sohkrates]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Sohkrates
I found I was bumping against all the usual frustrations with the Judeo-Christian shtick- the problem of evil, free will, multiple different interpretations of the same source material, etc.

Speaking for myself, ever since I became aware of the “ problem of evil ”, I've always found it to be very funny. I’ve seen many people write about this topic in mind numbing detail, trying to analyze and justify this seemingly irreconcilable idea, based on assumptions of faith.

It can all be so easily cleared up with three simple words- “God doesn't exist!” Despite what seems extremely obvious to me, the whole thing can get very ridiculous.

If you look at it the right way, you’ll find that it can be pretty entertaining. smile

Forum Stats
12216 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406127 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements